Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like Samsung just produced 400,000 of the Note 7 Fandeath Editions. It's not a big number, keep in mind Apple sells like 900,000 iPhones per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How can I block all incoming calls? I use Google Voice for my primary number and the only calls that come to my carrier number are wrong numbers or spam. This is on a Pixel.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

butt dickus posted:

How can I block all incoming calls? I use Google Voice for my primary number and the only calls that come to my carrier number are wrong numbers or spam. This is on a Pixel.

Wouldn't this also block your Voice calls as well? Or do you use Fi/VOIP somehow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like Samsung just produced 400,000 of the Note 7 Fandeath Editions. It's not a big number, keep in mind Apple sells like 900,000 iPhones per day.

Gotta question what the point was then. Considering they had to recall millions of phones, they aren't exactly mitigating much loss here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

nimper posted:

Wouldn't this also block your Voice calls as well? Or do you use Fi/VOIP somehow
I use Hangouts for calls. I thought disabling the phone app would work but then calls made my phone vibrate with no way to answer/decline.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

butt dickus posted:

I use Hangouts for calls. I thought disabling the phone app would work but then calls made my phone vibrate with no way to answer/decline.

Best way I can think of is set up another google account with a different Voice number and forward everything there.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
One solution that might work is heavily customized Do Not Disturb settings and just always keeping it on.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

Gotta question what the point was then. Considering they had to recall millions of phones, they aren't exactly mitigating much loss here.

They recalled a total of 2.5mm units, at a production cost of $250-$275 bucks per unit you're looking at a total loss of around 640mm -- if they get the 400,000 units to entirely sell through at a cost of $600 per unit that's going to recuperate $240mm, from a top line P&L stand point; all of the original units were written off so Samsung Global can post a much higher margin to shareholders with what basically amounts to dead inventory. It's a really, really smart move.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's cost involved to refurbish them as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing they could salvage from the devices is the mainboard and the back plate since you basically have to destroy them to disassemble to get at the battery.

They essentially have to reassemble the phone again, just a few pieces of it get reused and don't have to be purchased again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nerdrum posted:

They recalled a total of 2.5mm units, at a production cost of $250-$275 bucks per unit you're looking at a total loss of around 640mm -- if they get the 400,000 units to entirely sell through at a cost of $600 per unit that's going to recuperate $240mm, from a top line P&L stand point; all of the original units were written off so Samsung Global can post a much higher margin to shareholders with what basically amounts to dead inventory. It's a really, really smart move.

Oh, word? They're just reselling the recalled devices with no refurbishment/changes and no packaging costs? Wow, they get to sell recalled device as is?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, they finally figured out that the problem was they made the battery too big for the hole, so they just need to spec a slightly smaller battery and it should be fine.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh, word? They're just reselling the recalled devices with no refurbishment/changes and no packaging costs? Wow, they get to sell recalled device as is?

:laffo: i love this thread

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

butt dickus posted:

Hiya can be set to screen incoming calls, which will block all calls, but I don't know if that applies to hangouts as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerdrum posted:

lol better ask the president for your tuition back

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Didn't some environmental group mandate that they recycle the handsets?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

deong posted:

But as a reminder, they fixed them once and they kept blowing up... so.. daily driver?

Oh, I'm certainly not getting one. My next phone'll probably be a Pixel 2.

RZA Encryption posted:

No, they've said they're making hardware changes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Didn't some environmental group mandate that they recycle the handsets?

Replacing the flawed parts and reusing the rest of it certainly seems like it would meet that requirement - the goal would be to not just have them pull the batteries and shove them in a landfill like ET cartridges.

I still wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I still wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

After The Recall I was tempted to buy one secondhand, rip the battery out, connect to usb power and have a little console screen sitting on my coffee table. Still too expensive even on eBay to be worth it, though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mu Zeta posted:

Most people never seem to realize just how tiny Android is in the "actually makes a real profit" segment.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I used Android pay for the first time today :canada: and it worked faster than a card. That was cool. Too bad it only works with a card that I got from a Quebec bank to finance laser eye surgery. And too bad my Urbane 2 watch still doesn't have Wear 2.0.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Palladium posted:

Most people never seem to realize just how tiny Android is in the "actually makes a real profit" segment.

lol at this mindset still being a thing when Steve isn't able to come back and invent another ipod this time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

lol at this mindset still being a thing when Steve isn't able to come back and invent another ipod this time.

Isn't he though?

:thunk:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I used Android pay for the first time today :canada: and it worked faster than a card. That was cool. Too bad it only works with a card that I got from a Quebec bank to finance laser eye surgery. And too bad my Urbane 2 watch still doesn't have Wear 2.0.

Android Wear 2.0 is absolute garbage and the Android Pay implementation especially so.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
and Android Pay only works on maybe 3 different watches because it requires NFC.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

butt dickus posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidrocker.callblocker

Call Blocker. Put in whitelist mode. Don't put anything in the whitelist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Android Wear 2.0 is absolute garbage and the Android Pay implementation especially so.

All smartwatches are poo poo except pebble and pebble shat itself out of existence. :(

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

What da gently caress is Samsung Enhanced Features? Push for Download after a software update this morning, like an app in Samsung's App Mart or whatever (not Google Play).

It installed, but the Open button stayed ghosted. There's no app short cut but it is showing as an App in App Manager. I don't feel Enhanced at all. Useless battery drain app? Sever?

(Galaxy S7 if that matters)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fartzone_42069 posted:

What da gently caress is Samsung Enhanced Features? Downloaded after a software update this morning, like an app in Samsung's App Mart or whatever (note Google Play).

It installed, but the Open button stayed ghosted. There's no app short cut but it is showing as an App in App Manager. I don't feel Enhanced at all. Useless battery drain app? Sever?

(Galaxy S7 if that matters)

It enhances the warmth and brightness of your phone

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah, it's way quicker than any chip reader I've ever used.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ola posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidrocker.callblocker

Call Blocker. Put in whitelist mode. Don't put anything in the whitelist.

Wouldn't that block the Google Voice calls as well though?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Citation needed

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

LastInLine posted:

2.0 made my Huawei watch pretty awesome so :iiam:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Stupid question(s) about USB charging ahoy!

Just read a couple things, the last author seemed to know what they are talking about until:

quote:

with adjustable ports that automatically increase voltage up to 2.4A when necessary

I don't want to read from someone who doesn't understand the difference between volts and amps.

My specific question is about 2.4A charging. I have Qualcomm 3.0 adaptors that "Fast Charges!" (™) at 2A (right?) and 9V vs the 5V standard.

Now, most (but not all devices?) will draw as much current as it's little brain dictates, right? Plugging in an older device to QC 3.0 port still charges at 5V/2A (or lower)?

I'm curious because 2A USB charging obviously exists. But, my battery brick thing has 2.1A and 2.4A outbound charging ports. Why is there 2A and 2.1A charging? Devices are smart enough to not draw more amps than they handle safely right?

I ask because I'm charging a lovely Chinese vape thing with the 2.4A port. It has an 18650 li-ion battery. It does have the usual safety protections (not a "dumb" device). Am I abusing my battery to tune of an extra 0.4A? Or is going to draw only 1A or whatever it needs? Thanks for reading!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's always based on draw off the device.

If something follows standards, it will first connect at 100mA as that's the max with no communication. It will then negotiate up to 1.8A which is the max allowed for a dedicated charging port.

Draws beyond that are using proprietary specifications on USB A.

In the case of the vape, it will probably only draw 500ma unless it can communicate over USB. 500ma is the max current allowed without communication if the data pins are shorted.

2.4A ability points to that charger supporting Apple's charging specification.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 29, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tvgm2 posted:

2.0 made my Huawei watch pretty awesome so :iiam:

It also decoupled Do Not Disturb settings from the phone so now I have to remember to put my watch on DND at night, otherwise it vibrates when I get a message even though my phone is on DND. :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto automatically turns off notifications on the 360 when it's charging.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

In the case of the vape, it will probably only draw 500ma unless it can communicate over USB. 500ma is the max current allowed without communication if the data pins are shorted.

This is assuming, of course, that at least one device follows standards. If both devices are truly dumb and make no effort to limit current based on communications, then I could see this turning ugly.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's always based on draw off the device.

If something follows standards, it will first connect at 100mA as that's the max with no communication. It will then negotiate up to 1.8A which is the max allowed for a dedicated charging port.

Draws beyond that are using proprietary specifications on USB A.

2.4A ability points to that charger supporting Apple's charging specification.

Thanks for clearing that up. It gets complicated. Especially when tech-journaly looking articles about it are basically a bunch of ads for different chargers and stuff.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is assuming, of course, that at least one device follows standards. If both devices are truly dumb and make no effort to limit current based on communications, then I could see this turning ugly.

They have chips with battery protections against overcharging, and device overheating, and other stuff. Generally. But, smart people err on the side of caution and avoid leaving poo poo charging unattended or overnight. I totally do both things but generally keep an eye on stuff. I've never noticed a device or battery charger getting anywhere near dangerously hot, just warm. You just never buy the gen 1/v1 version of something. Let the excited noobs pre order it and see if it blows up while charging first.

Thanks! :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's one of those things that shouldn't be an issue because building something that at least attempts to follow standards is so loving cheap these days. In the back of my mind I've always got that thought about what happens if someone tries to save a couple extra pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Wouldn't that block the Google Voice calls as well though?

Maybe it does, I just assumed it wouldn't since the call is coming from another app. Worth a shot anyway.