Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

giving nen a flaw can make it more powerful, but that only works when it is someone who was already capable of becoming powerful to begin with. too little ambition and you end up like the dog control guy. too much and you end up like the clone dude from the arena.

the clone dude's problem isn't that he gave his power too much of a flaw. he tried to make a power that was almost the exact opposite of his actual talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's out on MangaStream. I'm kinda suspicious about the translation of a line or two though... but nothing important.
So uh... let's just say there's some amazing art this time around. That nen beast on the last couple pages is absolutely horrifying. I love it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Get Togashi to illustrate the D&D monster manual.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo it's so creepy and amazing.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Those nen parasites are really something else in how they're drawn.

Could some of this even be animated and be even half as effective as it is drawn for the comic?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's interesting that the nen beasts can't harm other princes and can't destroy each other. What's their actual role in the succession war, then? The king was saying something vague about offerings but I don't know if that's really all that's said in this chapter or the translation missed some things.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

It's interesting that the nen beasts can't harm other princes and can't destroy each other. What's their actual role in the succession war, then? The king was saying something vague about offerings but I don't know if that's really all that's said in this chapter or the translation missed some things.

Presumably to take out the bodyguards of the other princes and then finally you take them out yourself.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Their role seems to be to kill people other than the princes, like their bodyguards, in order to indirectly cause the death of the Princes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Princes whose nen beasts have not been confirmed are

Woble
Marayam
Fugetsu
Kacho

But we have seen the following ones with no master yet

Giant nest of lampreys thing
Lil baby dragon

I think the one above Sale-Sale was spitting out those little jellyfish thing similar to Tyson's spitting out 'fairies'

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some lad on reddit thinks Theta will successfully reform Tserreidnich lmao

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

They are designed to both act as protectors, but also to sift out those princes that aren't able to keep up in a "warring states" scenario from my interpretation of the current translation. Basically creating a microcosm of the same situation Kakin was in during it's foundation. Those princes that aren't able to take advantage of the shifting balance in power (Some princes losing their body guards, others forming alliances) are going to be weeded out by their siblings and their personal forces eventually. And since the Nen beasts won't attack each other or other hosts it means that the princes that are unable to dirty their own hands will also eventually be weeded out by their siblings who can.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Can someone link the chapter?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://readms.net/read/hunter_x_hunter/362/tip

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

as i've said before, they are equalizers so that the princes are competing solely with their abilities. it isn't perfect since nen beasts can be countered to some degree by powerful or cunning nen users, but otherwise the weaker princes would be weeded out early and the stronger ones would compete with the quantity of their subordinates.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

New hunter girl has nerves of steel to pretend that everything is fine, goddamn.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I want Theta to be the new protagonist

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stay safe, Theta

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

Some lad on reddit thinks Theta will successfully reform Tserreidnich lmao

Ahahahaha, gently caress no. Dude's one of the most evil people we've had in this manga, and that's saying something. He's more monstrous than the ants and much of the Troupe even.

His nen beast, though... I read those spoilers and they did not do it justice. That thing is, well, it's appropriate for Tserriednich, I'll give it that. (I also like Chourai/Zhang Lei's nen beast, which is a shame because I still think he's toast. Just, no way he's getting out of this unless there's a weird situation where most of them don't die.)

I hope Theta doesn't meet an utterly horrifying fate here.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 29, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
tserreidnich is loving scary man

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stare: Holy poo poo. What the gently caress. That's... holy poo poo. :stonklol:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Ahahahaha, gently caress no. Dude's one of the most evil people we've had in this manga, and that's saying something. He's more monstrous than the ants and much of the Troupe even.

His nen beast, though... I read those spoilers and they did not do it justice. That thing is, well, it's appropriate for Tserriednich, I'll give it that. (I also like Chourai/Zhang Lei's nen beast, which is a shame because I still think he's toast. Just, no way he's getting out of this unless there's a weird situation where most of them don't die.)

I hope Theta doesn't meet an utterly horrifying fate here.

Yeah every single seen he has hammers home how monstrous is. The point of Theta's interactions with the other bodyguard wasn't to show the reader that maybe Tserreidnich could be reformed but to show at the end how utterly foolish that was to hope for.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Tserriednich is probably the most objectively evil out of all the main antagonists so far, at least in terms of how each of them treats killing people.

Hisoka has no qualms killing innocents or bystanders, or those who get in his way, but he doesn't actively seek it out. He just wants to get his rocks off with a good fight.
The Zoldycks are a twisted family but killing is just a job to them.
The Phantom Troupe, generally, only kill when necessary or when challenged/confronted.
Meruem is a weird case since to him humans are food and initially his instinct is just "eat, grow stronger, and rule" but the humanity in him causes him to change at least a bit by the end.
Genthru is maybe the closest analogue to Tserriednich, since he didn't really ever have a stated goal for doing what he did, he and his pals were just rear end in a top hat serial killers. But even then, they didn't ooze pure evil the same way Tserriednich does. They were terrible criminals but the way Tserriednich views and treats other people/his victims just seems on a whole other level of monstrous.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I want the guy who quit the selection to secretly harbor the most ambition and will of them all.
Looks like his beast is strong, too

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
dont sell meruem short, he changes a ton by the end. like yeah he was a literal beast at first but within like, 1 month in-story he goes from eating children (which is "evil" but still kinda different to human-on-human crimes, he legitimately just saw himself as a predator to humans, im reminded of that line "do you listen to the cries of help from the pigs you slaughter?") to refusing to easily kill the two men that just bombed his castle in case it might slightly danger komugi any further.

even more illustrative is how he goes against literally every ant instinct at the end when he tells welfin to go find gyro and live along side him, basically giving up totally on domination in any sense, and then goes to play games until he dies.

dude became serene as hell very quickly, its a shame that it had to go the way it did for him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

Tserriednich is probably the most objectively evil out of all the main antagonists so far, at least in terms of how each of them treats killing people.

Hisoka has no qualms killing innocents or bystanders, or those who get in his way, but he doesn't actively seek it out. He just wants to get his rocks off with a good fight.
The Zoldycks are a twisted family but killing is just a job to them.
The Phantom Troupe, generally, only kill when necessary or when challenged/confronted.
Meruem is a weird case since to him humans are food and initially his instinct is just "eat, grow stronger, and rule" but the humanity in him causes him to change at least a bit by the end.
Genthru is maybe the closest analogue to Tserriednich, since he didn't really ever have a stated goal for doing what he did, he and his pals were just rear end in a top hat serial killers. But even then, they didn't ooze pure evil the same way Tserriednich does. They were terrible criminals but the way Tserriednich views and treats other people/his victims just seems on a whole other level of monstrous.

Genthru and the other Bombers wanted to win Greed Island. They were just also terrible people and took a particularly nasty route to doing so. Still had reasons for it, at least, instead of just being rich sadists.

Wild Horses posted:

I want the guy who quit the selection to secretly harbor the most ambition and will of them all.
Looks like his beast is strong, too

Twist the twist and get back to Harkenberg actually being the guy who wins in the end. Would actually be surprising at that point.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah Meruem is horrifying beforehand but in a much more understandable way. A being that is the peak of its species that views humans as it's food source is easier to understand and later empathise with than a serial killer who hates slags who aren't wet for Nietzsche or the Higgs-Boson or w/e

Goddamn the Nen Beasts are so dope though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Theta is so hosed. Also that thing reminds me of that Persona 2 boss. gently caress that thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Theta will survive I think and will end up allying with Kurapika and gang.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Theta will survive I think and will end up allying with Kurapika and gang.

Oh. To be young and innocent again...

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Great chapter. The Nen Beasts are really cool and lol at the fat prince saying "gently caress this succession war poo poo" and just partying.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TriffTshngo posted:

Didn't Hisoka say that he's done dancing to other people's beat as far as fighting goes? He did incapacitate 1 / kill 2 Spiders with almost zero effort when their guards were (ostensibly) down. Tserriednich might be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, but I do think that our boy Hisoka's still probably going to maim any Kakin poser with utmost ease.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i didn't realize they couldnt see their own nen beasts

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"I must apologize for Tserried, he is an idiot. We have purposefully trained him wrong....as a joke"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

i didn't realize they couldnt see their own nen beasts

It's mentioned before this that they can't, Kurapika on the blower to melody and his master confirms with them that their princes don't react when all the nen beasts went rolling through. I guess that's not their own one but even last chapter Momoze doesn't seem to realise FreeMouse is sitting behind her and wonders why she's so tired despite doing nothing that day. There's definitely going to be at least one prince who can see their beast already though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Great chapter. The Nen Beasts are really cool and lol at the fat prince saying "gently caress this succession war poo poo" and just partying.

thats the best nen beast

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Wark Say posted:

Didn't Hisoka say that he's done dancing to other people's beat as far as fighting goes? He did incapacitate 1 / kill 2 Spiders with almost zero effort when their guards were (ostensibly) down. Tserriednich might be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, but I do think that our boy Hisoka's still probably going to maim any Kakin poser with utmost ease.

That was a reaction to him allowing Chrollo to pick the time and location of their fight, which he chose to give him the absolute best advantage possible and put Hisoka at as much of a disadvantage as he could. That's not the same as not wanting to fight strong opponents anymore. He went after Kortopi because he was the weakest and easiest to pick off, but he was still a Spider nonetheless, and he's going after all of them, so he might as well get the wimp out of the way first. That and he and Shalnark were just the two closest by aside from Machi.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 29, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They were also the ones who he knew were close because he had seen Shalnark's and Kortopi's abilities in his fight with Chrollo. They also were standing over him before machi tried to heal him but he was still dead then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's less that he's not going against strong opponents anymore and more... I dunno, it seemed like he was done just playing with his prey? Which he did a bunch with the MC's at respective points.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his nen beast is totally made up of women he killed. like, not their physical parts of course, but the form of any body parts he found memorable all jumbled together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tserriednich's Nen Beast is like something out of a Junji Ito manga. Good job making that poo poo scary as hell, Togashi.