Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Are they tasty? They get pretty big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ace of Aces posted:

There was a tumblr post making the rounds a while back which described them as 'the fish equivalent of a rice cracker', because all they eat is plankton. They are exceedingly low in nurtrition.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

ungulateman posted:

There was a tumblr post making the rounds a while back which described them as 'the fish equivalent of a rice cracker', because all they eat is plankton. They are exceedingly low in nurtrition.

Darn. Being Australian when I see an animal I'm unfamiliar with my first thought is "can it kill or eat me?" and my second thought is "can I eat it?".

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ace of Aces posted:

Darn. Being Australian when I see an animal I'm unfamiliar with my first thought is "can it kill or eat me?" and my second thought is "can I eat it?".

If you're very unlucky as a couple people were, the Sunfish may kill you entirely on accident by jumping into your boat like the dumbass it is and crushing you to death.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Sunfish are like 50% cartilage, though apparently they are delicacies in south/east asia

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Incidentally, there's an entire idle mobile game about sunfish and how much of a disaster their lives are, from choking on food to getting stranded in cold water; the same company that made it also helped develop Magikarp Jump. So I guess we should be thankful that our karp won't keel over just by eating a berry.

Edit:

Haifisch posted:

Someone never had their karp jump for the berry in the tree, I see.

True, you got me there.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 28, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MiracleFlare posted:

our karp won't keel over just by eating a berry.
Someone never had their karp jump for the berry in the tree, I see.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I was disappointed that Alomomola wasn't Luvdisc's evolution because "useless thing that survives due to flukes in natural selection" is a step above what Luvdisc is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Funky Valentine posted:

I was disappointed that Alomomola wasn't Luvdisc's evolution because "useless thing that survives due to flukes in natural selection" is a step above what Luvdisc is.

"Vehicle for move tutor fuel?"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fun thing! Survive! Mola-Mola and Magikarp Jump are by the same developers.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh hey I remember playing that Mola Mola game. At the time I believed they were making up all the stupid-rear end ways those fish die, but it turns out that was mostly the food they eat. They do in fact jump high enough to die on impact with the water, get pecked to death by the birds they use to eat the parasites on their skin, etc. A Magikarp game is oddly appropriate.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Robindaybird posted:

Fun thing! Survive! Mola-Mola and Magikarp Jump are by the same developers.

What is SELECT BUTTON's beef with fish?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hi my company specialized in fish games

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If it doesn't end with you dying as a fry a hundred million times or so it's inaccurate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cernunnos posted:

I dunno but I definitely found their official unofficial theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kybyy1EkoOE

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cernunnos posted:

or animals, given their other game is Hunt/Cook where you and and an adorable Shiba hunt animals to make tasty dishes

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
So, in Uranium. We've already beaten all 8 gym leaders. We should ostensibly be making our way toward Victory Road now, but we haven't had the chance to catch the box legendary, nor has the plot been resolved in any sort of meaningful way. Does any one else feel like the pacing on that has just suddenly stopped? "Oh you failed in your confrontation against the villain, time to go back to the core Pokemon gameplay!" If I were playing this game blind, I would probably be ready to quit right about now, since it all just feels like a waste of time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Robindaybird posted:

or animals, given their other game is Hunt/Cook where you and and an adorable Shiba hunt animals to make tasty dishes

um wow, that sounds really interesting actually. time to check it out.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Prism posted:

If it doesn't end with you dying as a fry a hundred million times or so it's inaccurate.

There's actually a one-time special death you can get during the intro text crawl: Tap on the eggs in the background, and they'll all vanish (presumably eaten) and you die without even hatching. :allears:

Back to Uranium for a bit, I agree that the pacing is really messed up; CURIE was introduced so late that I'm not sure there's any way to resolve the story that wouldn't feel awkwardly timed. And if the next leg of the game really is pushing forward for an E4 challenge, I'd love to see the justification for running off when an omnicidal criminal and their nuclear hellbeast are still at large. Surely this time around, they won't incapacitate our rangers with a single command!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tired Moritz posted:

um wow, that sounds really interesting actually. time to check it out.

It's a pretty fun game, I def. recommend looking at it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

RyuHimora posted:

"Oh you failed in your confrontation against the villain, time to go back to the core Pokemon gameplay!"

I don't think the writers considered it a failed confrontation. In the "You've proven they're weaker than you, therefore they can just fade into irrelevance now," sense.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kurieg posted:

"Vehicle for move tutor fuel?"
You don't even need them for that any more, since you can get infinite heart scales from the restaurants in S/M for chump change.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ace of Aces posted:

Full of bones, gristle and cartilage. They are not worth the effort.

Only thing I get to use my degree for anymore, random fish facts.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I haven't seen any FUCKIN Oppenheimer!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

alcharagia posted:

I haven't seen any FUCKIN Oppenheimer!

It shows up in the most melodramatic way. It will happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyuHimora posted:

So, in Uranium. We've already beaten all 8 gym leaders. We should ostensibly be making our way toward Victory Road now, but we haven't had the chance to catch the box legendary, nor has the plot been resolved in any sort of meaningful way. Does any one else feel like the pacing on that has just suddenly stopped? "Oh you failed in your confrontation against the villain, time to go back to the core Pokemon gameplay!" If I were playing this game blind, I would probably be ready to quit right about now, since it all just feels like a waste of time.

I'm worried that you're implying that you're stubborn enough to continue playing this game beyond the first nuclear reactor explosion.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm worried that you're implying that you're stubborn enough to continue playing this game beyond the first nuclear reactor explosion.

That's a fair point. What I was really going for was that, assuming I had made it up to the Curie fight, that would have been enough to make me seriously consider quitting the game even if it had been playably mediocre to that point.

Uranium is bad. It's so bad, we have actually run out of ways to say it is bad in this thread.

AND SOMEHOW REBORN MANAGES TO BE EVEN WORSE

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

RyuHimora posted:

That's a fair point. What I was really going for was that, assuming I had made it up to the Curie fight, that would have been enough to make me seriously consider quitting the game even if it had been playably mediocre to that point.

Uranium is bad. It's so bad, we have actually run out of ways to say it is bad in this thread.

AND SOMEHOW REBORN MANAGES TO BE EVEN WORSE

I don't know, Reborn has a lot of neat ideas executed badly. Uranium has bad ideas executed poorly and a few good sprites, I guess?

Depends on whether you're more insulted by shooting for the moon and tripping into a dumpster, or a droning level of mediocrity peppered with outright terrible decisions. To me, the first one at least has the value of "hey, that'd be cool if someone did it right." For example: Field effects for gyms. Neat idea! They did it completely wrong, but it could work.

The best Uranium brings to the table is setting some trainers up to be as broken as builds players could come up with. That'd be okay for bonus challenge fights. Not progression. Everything else unique to the game is questionable at best.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The characters and dialog in Uranium aren't as bad as they are in what I've seen of Reborn, IMO.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Yeah, I actually like a few things about Uranium's writing. I like the pirate vs. ninja bit, in large part because it plays the bit straight. That kind of stands out in the garbage trash no good horse-thievin' writing, and I think it's an accident that it sort of works, but the bit makes me laugh. And, I honestly like the rival. He starts off an irritating twit, and grows up (literally, given that sprite shift) by learning from defeat. That feels like a good bit of writing.

If only, if only, if only.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Reborn feels like all the music and text could be replaced with that loop from Down With the Sickness without losing much in the way of intentionality or substance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Miliardo posted:

Yeah, I actually like a few things about Uranium's writing. I like the pirate vs. ninja bit, in large part because it plays the bit straight. That kind of stands out in the garbage trash no good horse-thievin' writing, and I think it's an accident that it sort of works, but the bit makes me laugh. And, I honestly like the rival. He starts off an irritating twit, and grows up (literally, given that sprite shift) by learning from defeat. That feels like a good bit of writing.

If only, if only, if only.
I'm surprised at how restrained the Pirates vs. Ninjas bit was. Most fangames would have beaten you over the head with how zany the concept is. The rival's characterization is good but it's offset by the growth spurt out of nowhere, and his whining at the beginning made me hate him.

The worst parts of Uranium's characters and dialog aren't nearly as bad as the worst of what I know of Reborn's.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Yeah, for all the poo poo we give Uranium's writing - which is goofy and grimdark and bad, for sure - its real sin is the insane balance issues, broken Pokemon, weird game design choices, and crappy Fakemon designs.

Never forget that the level curve is so bad that its really only playable for the LP because of infinite rare candy.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The thing about Uranium is that aside from the level curve which ends up 20 levels above where it should be, the individual parts of it aren't that bad. What ends up making it a bad game are all of the small mistakes together becoming a large one. I suspect the ~9 year development schedule~ is probably a big cause of this, because it is just layers upon layers on a flawed foundation. (also, poo poo like the gamer girl dialogue is also really bad, but that's been discussed at length already so...)

Reborn, on the other hand, tries a lot of new stuff, but pretty much unanimously goes entirely too far with it. Whereas Uranium needs a second editing pass and to go back ad revise, well, pretty much everything, Reborn needs someone to say stop. Everything from the mechanics, the difficulty and the edge are expanded upon beyond reason.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Has anyone done an SSLP of Reborn?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's one going on right now!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The thing about Uranium is that aside from the level curve which ends up 20 levels above where it should be, the individual parts of it aren't that bad. What ends up making it a bad game are all of the small mistakes together becoming a large one. I suspect the ~9 year development schedule~ is probably a big cause of this, because it is just layers upon layers on a flawed foundation. (also, poo poo like the gamer girl dialogue is also really bad, but that's been discussed at length already so...)

Reborn, on the other hand, tries a lot of new stuff, but pretty much unanimously goes entirely too far with it. Whereas Uranium needs a second editing pass and to go back ad revise, well, pretty much everything, Reborn needs someone to say stop. Everything from the mechanics, the difficulty and the edge are expanded upon beyond reason.

To take this further, after having actually played through to becoming Champion, Pokemon Clover is actually not bad in terms of the level curve (the Champion is level 70s for reference, but unlike Uranium things give enough EXP to actually level up effectively), harder than normal but generally not complete bullshit in terms of difficulty compared to regular Pokemon, and has genuinely good music (even if some of the music are memes). And the game isn't edgy in terms of the plot at all, which is a breath of fresh air.

A shame that 60-65% of the fakemons are either memes, 4chan injokes, crude (anything sex related is mostly MIA thankfully), or out-and-out offensive in some way. And that the game loves going into offensive stereotypes in general in the name of humor (for instance, it loves portraying the Jews as insanely greedy/rich men obsessed with money to the exclusion of all else, to the point that the Merchant trainer class doesn't give you any money at all when you defeat them). And that the region never got as far as it could have from "blatant Kanto ripoff". And that they somehow messed up the main villain execution worse than Uranium; the evil team leader never gets her motivations or plan explained at all before or after you beat her down, whereas CURIE at least is quickly established in motivations as "wants power and to cause pain and suffering" even with how late she shows up.

Also worse than Uranium is the fakemon balance, which is quite the accomplishment. By the end of the game, the BST 600 Dragon/Steel pesudolegendary dragon cannon I had with base 145 SpATK and Mega Launcher for an ability (making Dragon Pulse stronger than Draco Meteor) was only the third most ridiculous thing on my team, behind the BST 600 legendary Steel/Ghost with Levitate and a stat spread of 105/135/80/85/50/150 and the Steel/Ice literal glass cannon that's basically Deoxys-N with lower stats everywhere but Speed Boost to make up for it.

It's 4chan: the romhack. When it's good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's making you lose faith in humanity. I had much more fun with it than I was expecting (congrats on making me laugh at a Your Mom joke in the year 2017), but I wouldn't recommend playing it unless you're willing to take all the horrible stuff with the good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Clover may be the only Pokemon game I want to not see LPed.

Ever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can barely stomach Reborn. I don't want to see something worse than that. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So I can only imagine the champion in this game is going to use level 90+ pokes which is something i really wished happened in the post-game on official games, so that'll be interesting.

X/Y really disappointed me with the lack of an Elite 4 2.0 because drat there's just nothing to do but grind durants from that point onward.

• Locked thread