Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Battle makes the Treasure Hunting stages a bit less irritating by giving you a fourth level to your radar (if you're right on top of a shard an exclamation point will appear above your character's head). But otherwise it doesn't really make many significant changes to the single player mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Um, it adds Chao Karate??? That's about as integral as you can get.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure all graphical and mechanical changes to the single-player campaign for Adventure 2 are simply in the base download by default. Battle just unlocks the expanded two-player and things like Chao Karate.

Also, I recall hearing that you can't get all 180 emblems (and thus Green Hill) without the Battle DLC, which I never personally verified, because I always just went ahead and bought it alongside the base game.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Hey, it's me, the world's SECOND only Sonic Shuffle apologist here. I had to use my Dreamcast for something after I played the only 2 games worth playin' on it! (Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2)

edit: Don't get me wrong! Sonic Shuffle is a buncha bullshit! But it's also a pretty fun Mario Party knockoff.

Can I introduce you to a series called Power Stone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Can I introduce you to a series called Power Stone

Power Stone 2 has to be about the funnest fighting or brawl game I've played and it's drat criminal it ended there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I owned the Dreamcast my friends and i played on and I was forbidden from playing Power Stone 2 with them in anything less than 3 v 1 and it still loving ruled.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Why isn't Wang tang in any of the marvel vs capcom games

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Zelder posted:

Why isn't Wang tang in any of the marvel vs capcom games

Because we live in an unjust world.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pure Ownage...I wish to move to the town MC GUFFIN, who's with me :tipshat:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Larryb posted:

Battle makes the Treasure Hunting stages a bit less irritating by giving you a fourth level to your radar (if you're right on top of a shard an exclamation point will appear above your character's head). But otherwise it doesn't really make many significant changes to the single player mode.

I think the exclamation point pops up in the single player mode too. I never had too much trouble with the treasure hunting levels in SA2. What's the reason for the hate?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think the exclamation point pops up in the single player mode too. I never had too much trouble with the treasure hunting levels in SA2. What's the reason for the hate?

Yes, the single player mode was what I was referring to. Other than that the majority of the changes involve the multiplayer mode and the Chao Garden.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

A lot of people dont like being timed as they look for stuff where the only feedback is a distance to object ping. Its not usually too bad but the levels are really huge so your first few times in them it can be a hassle to figure out how to navugate them and where stuff can even be and welp you only play them two times so you never get to use your institutional knowledge.

Also half the stages dont have knuckles raps.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Rouge's songs are better

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

True but they aren't nearly as memorable or hilarious as knuckles themes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I will uproot my family to celebrate Sonic appreciation day

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Me too.

Speaking of sonic appreciation day I'm running my first 10k tomorrow in my cool sonic shirt. I can't wait!

Personal story, I bought the sonic shirt at a games con 2 years ago and they didn't have it in my size so I bought it a size smaller and I was way too fat to wear it and I promised myself "I will work hard and one I will look good and cool in my sonic shirt" and that day was when I turned 30 last September when I really got into running (fast). Now here we are 10 months later and my mileage has tripled and now the sonic shirt is too loose and I need to get a new sonic shirt!

Thank you sonic. Thank you for all you've done for me as a child and as a man and as a friend.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

buddy, im the mayor

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Barudak posted:

A lot of people dont like being timed as they look for stuff where the only feedback is a distance to object ping. Its not usually too bad but the levels are really huge so your first few times in them it can be a hassle to figure out how to navugate them and where stuff can even be and welp you only play them two times so you never get to use your institutional knowledge.

Also half the stages dont have knuckles raps.

Only one mission was timed in the normal playthrough. Otherwise you would just receive bonus points for finding the treasures fast.

I get that it can be sorta difficult to get through the levels on your first time, but once you figure out that all the levels are sectional and have a central area, it becomes so much easier. I'd call them the easiest levels to A-Rank, aside from the last ones, which are pretty big and more reliant on getting the one setup that makes it fast to beat. Depending on the treasure spread, I could get both Knuckles's and Rouge's first stages done in under 30 seconds.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Whenever I come in this thread and see people discussing the 3D games as if they were actual games for enjoyment I shake my head.

Yes the stage in sonic boom 2 where knuckles chuckled and rouge the bat and cream rabbit rode a jeep is the best of the 2013-2016 era.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Me too.

Speaking of sonic appreciation day I'm running my first 10k tomorrow in my cool sonic shirt. I can't wait!

Personal story, I bought the sonic shirt at a games con 2 years ago and they didn't have it in my size so I bought it a size smaller and I was way too fat to wear it and I promised myself "I will work hard and one I will look good and cool in my sonic shirt" and that day was when I turned 30 last September when I really got into running (fast). Now here we are 10 months later and my mileage has tripled and now the sonic shirt is too loose and I need to get a new sonic shirt!

Thank you sonic. Thank you for all you've done for me as a child and as a man and as a friend.

bless your soul. i love sonic the hedgehog

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Overbite posted:

Whenever I come in this thread and see people discussing the 3D games as if they were actual games for enjoyment I shake my head.

Yes the stage in sonic boom 2 where knuckles chuckled and rouge the bat and cream rabbit rode a jeep is the best of the 2013-2016 era.

Whenever I come in this thread and see people pretend that the 3D games don't exist I shake my head.

Yes this series hasn't had a single game in 23 years, it's impressive that it has so many fans despite that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

Yes this series hasn't had a single game in 23 years, it's impressive that it has so many fans despite that.

you know

you're not wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id unironically buy a game that was nothing but Knuckles hunting levels and then a full two albums worth of new Knuckles Raps.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Barudak posted:

Id unironically buy a game that was nothing but Knuckles hunting levels and then a full two albums worth of new Knuckles Raps.

https://sonicisreal.bandcamp.com/track/pumpkin-hill

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

have you actually even seen any sonic games made in the last decade

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If there was no Sonic game made then how am I listening to this incredibly cheesy song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29TGL71pv4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Knuckles emerald hunting could have worked as it's own game with a bunch of refinements. Definitely the best not-Sonic gameplay of the Adventure games.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Knuckles emerald hunting could have worked as it's own game with a bunch of refinements. Definitely the best not-Sonic gameplay of the Adventure games.

That exists, it's called Breath of the Wild.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I own sonic heroes and generations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kuroyama posted:

The honest, simple answer is that they are long deviations of the normal Sonic gameplay.

Playing as other characters in 2D games doesn't mean much because they still mostly control as Sonic does. Sometimes there will be an exclusive route, or a specific strat for speedrunning things, but by in large it's still the same base game.

If you look at the deviations in a normal mario game (meaning the completely different stuff like the Spring mario powerups or random gimmicks like Manta ray surfing), they usually are just a couple of levels. Minor speed bumps when the other 90% of the game sticks to the main mechanics you'd expect from Mario. Most everything else that varies the gameplay is just an extension of Mario's abilities (even Yoshi is basically just this).

For Sonic Adventure 2, the Non-Sonic speed-platformer gameplay is 2/3rds the game + isn't much like playing Sonic at all. 10 Speed stages, 9 mech stages, 9 treasure hunt stages. For the people who think of Sonic only in terms of the genesis games, this can get really frustrating.

There aren't many games that really handle this split "main gameplay that's 2 completely different games" idea well, especially not FOR that reason. There are a bunch of titles that come close, but they usually end up with people going "Why couldn't they have just made a full-game out of this half instead?". A lot of titles end up incorporating parts of other genres in them (driving in open world games, or like Rail Shooting in Kingdom hearts), but they are either 1. partially mixed in enough to the main gameplay so even bad mixes are hidden away by the meat of the game (driving isn't ever really good in open world games, it's only tolerable) or 2. they are limited splits (see Mario, Kingdom hearts).

If they felt closer to the main Sonic gameplay, maybe they'd have a better reception. Or if they had maybe half the levels they did, other people might be more forgiving.

There are quite a few good ideas in the Non-Sonic gameplay. Most SA2 treasure hunt stages have a nice central design that allows for quick traversal which is smart, and the Mech gameplay challenge being a continuous test of how long you can keep a lock-on chain going works well. But even at best, these designs feel second-hand from the base gameplay of the Speed stages.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

If there was no Sonic game made then how am I listening to this incredibly cheesy song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29TGL71pv4
I did think it weird how Sakurai commissioned Crush 40 to make a new song for Sonic's stage in Smash 4!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/880480536682090496

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Akett posted:

That exists, it's called Breath of the Wild.

Not enough chill beats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't count the number of times I have had to back someone up with the Fist Metal Crackle and it's all thanks to my pal knux

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

We almost did have a second Knuckles game.

quote:

After the release of the multi-platform Sonic Heroes, questions arose as to what direction the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise would go next. Would it be a sequel to the Heroes formula? A return to the Adventure style of gameplay? Or would it be something new entirely? ... through official Sega channels, an online poll was put up asking people to vote on which character in the Sonic franchise they'd like to see star in their own game. With choices including the obvious (Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna) and some from left field (Espio the Chameleon), the winner of the poll would be none other than Shadow the Hedgehog, the "Ultimate Lifeform" that had been introduced in Sonic Adventure 2 and was proven to still be alive (in some form) in Heroes.
http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Shadow_the_Hedgehog

In Generations, Shadow has that same drat fourth chaos emerald.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I played Sonic Adventure again for the first time in a long while.

It was pretty fun.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

We almost did have a second Knuckles game.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Shadow_the_Hedgehog

In Generations, Shadow has that same drat fourth chaos emerald.

I remember the names "Eggman: Rebel with a Cause and Knuckles: City of Chaos being two of the options but I don't remember the others from the poll. IIRC I voted for Eggman.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure I voted for Tails, because Tails Adventures was a fun little Metroidvania-of-sorts that I'd loved to have seen expanded.

But no, we got super serious alien invasion stories with realistic guns.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

beep by grandpa posted:

Me too.

Bless your heart Beep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I remember the names "Eggman: Rebel with a Cause and Knuckles: City of Chaos being two of the options but I don't remember the others from the poll. IIRC I voted for Eggman.

Man I really wish we had gotten an Eggman game. Wario has his own games. Why not Eggman?