Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this was my first lego set

I still have ti somewhere, or at least the minifig

why can't i see that pic on firefox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

why can't i see that pic on firefox?

no image leeching allowed

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

The new space police sets are a little problematic bc all the police officers are regular yellow Lego dudes, and all the criminals are aliens.

Green Lives Matter

Make Legoland Great Again

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this is the best line read ever recorded

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Apollo posted:

555 Yellow Lego Men my goon sire

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

now whenever i see legos all i can think is :nsa:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kuvo posted:

this is the best line read ever recorded

RA3 demonstrates the quality difference you get by hiring screen actors for video games.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i had lego but i don't remember sets or anything, i just had a big box full of bricks and figs and stuff

k'nex supremacy imo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

THE BITCHMAKER

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

all shall submit, or live to see their families crushed beneath the ebon heel of BLACKTRON

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Roosevelt posted:

all shall submit, or live to see their families crushed beneath the ebon heel of BLACKTRON

sir this is a mcdonalds drivethrough

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sir this is a mcdonalds drivethrough

he's in a vehicle, what's the problem

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

space police can't do poo poo, we have illegal space ray guns

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

he's in a vehicle, what's the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic&t=299s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

THE BITCHMAKER

ran across this the other day

The Design
After agreeing with the agent to rent the penthouse, and secured funding from Eidos Interactive, Romero hired an architect firm: "Russ Berger Design Group" to change the plain penthouse into Ion Storm's office.

They spend $2.5 million for the office renovation. The result looked awesome. Mike Wilson, Ion Storm's marketing head, declared that his company was a Willy Wonka factory of gaming. Hell yeah. You could see from the pictures.

They even have a movie rooms equipped with $ 50.000,00 projector and comfortable leather couches. Of course they have tons of computers, connected with each other to play "Deathmatch"! And seriously, I have no idea what room, other than security room, that actually need 12 televisions, but of course it looks cool as hell!

Romero really practice the company's "Design is Law" motto. You have to give him credit for that!

But, that beautiful office has one very small fundamental problem.

Other than the extremely high price, the office simply had too many sunlights. No programmer like sunlight. Especially sunlight from above that shines on their monitor screen. To solve this problem Romero installed some covers. Not enough. Ion Storm's employees were forced to bring blankets from their home to block the sunlight. A game programmer needs total darkness in order to program comfortably.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

After agreeing with the agent to rent the penthouse, and secured funding from Eidos Interactive, Romero hired an architect firm: "Russ Berger Design Group" to change the plain penthouse into Ion Storm's office.

Russberger Syndrome

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol did they even make anything other than daikatana

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uh, Deus Ex?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Roosevelt posted:

i totally forgot about this holy moly

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Roosevelt posted:

blacktron was my poo poo growing up

those old sets are cool but it's crazy to see the evolution

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

blacktron was my poo poo growing up

those old sets are cool but it's crazy to see the evolution

i wanted to try doing a lego a little while ago, but when i looked they really just push they're branded stuff. it's all jurassic park, or star wars, or whatever is the new movie, and they all have real specific parts. i just want to make a cool generic spaceship that i can gently caress around with, do they not do that anymore?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Uh, Deus Ex?

deus ex was made in a different office by a different group though, iirc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

i wanted to try doing a lego a little while ago, but when i looked they really just push they're branded stuff. it's all jurassic park, or star wars, or whatever is the new movie, and they all have real specific parts. i just want to make a cool generic spaceship that i can gently caress around with, do they not do that anymore?

I wanted to get the lego curiosity rover but those sold out in 10 seconds

they just released a saturn V that has 1,969 parts

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

big scary monsters posted:

i had lego but i don't remember sets or anything, i just had a big box full of bricks and figs and stuff

k'nex supremacy imo

lol came here to post this exact thing

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

THE BITCHMAKER

john romero's about to make you his wench

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Roosevelt posted:

they don't have as many special parts as you think. it just looks like they do because you can get them in more colours now and they've got really creative when how they use them.

i don't like the minifigs now though. i just want a little yellow man with a smile, not 500 variations of the dreamworks face

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Roosevelt posted:

They have boxes of just colours if you want.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Classic-Sets

Otherwise just about everything is part of a theme. You may like the City stuff which is fairly generic but has some beautiful pieces.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/City-Sets

Or if you want huge insane sets the Technic series is bonkers right now.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Technic-Sets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

They have boxes of just colours if you want.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Classic-Sets

Otherwise just about everything is part of a theme. You may like the City stuff which is fairly generic but has some beautiful pieces.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/City-Sets

Or if you want huge insane sets the Technic series is bonkers right now.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Technic-Sets

that car is full of really specific parts though. like what else are you supposed to make with the lower right quarter of a door panel

this older one was made with generic parts and it still had rack and pinion steering, adjustable seats, and articulated pistons in the engine

although I did have a helicopter set that came with a working swashplate part, that was badass

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cool, but for me I don't think its worth $300.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the huge sets are very much "spoiled rich nerds".

But they are goddamn huge in person and I honestly think due to the time spent making them and the display quality it's well worth it.

I don't have the Porsche one but it's the best example of the size.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the huge sets are very much "spoiled rich nerds".

But they are goddamn huge in person and I honestly think due to the time spent making them and the display quality it's well worth it.

????????

ah ok i see the ninja edit now, i was really weirded out by you going on how huge pewdiepie is in person :v:

e: ok just ignore this post, apparently i cant read for poo poo. maybe this is the tradeoff for when i have smooth coding evening

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

half the fun of building lego is the building experience - it's very relaxing imo

larger sets can take a ton of time

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i fall into the spoiled kid camp

three of the pirate sets

two ships and one island and oh maybe a dinghy like they'd give you in a happy meal

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

syscall girl posted:

i fall into the spoiled kid camp

three of the pirate sets

two ships and one island and oh maybe a dinghy like they'd give you in a happy meal

same, i had the space monorail

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E posted:

same, i had the space monorail
i think i had the ice planet monorail? was that a thing?

i definitely had this one and it owned so bad, i made my own bigass ship out of it and some of the space police/blacktron sets

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

anthonypants posted:

i definitely had this one and it owned so bad, i made my own bigass ship out of it and some of the space police/blacktron sets

lmfao @ "2002" sounding far off and futuristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

• Locked thread