Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, really the worst it ever got was the CUL capstone quest where you prepare a feast for the Sultana while she was "dead". You never see an actually dead NPC showing up in a sidequest later.

As a side effect, it does also mean that any NPC that is involved in any sidequest ever is effectively immortal.

Well, they could be dead at the end of the sidequest, because you don't necessarily need to interact with them anymore if they never have another quest to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, really the worst it ever got was the CUL capstone quest where you prepare a feast for the Sultana while she was "dead". You never see an actually dead NPC showing up in a sidequest later.

As a side effect, it does also mean that any NPC that is involved in any sidequest ever is effectively immortal.

I always assumed that each class side quest canonically took place at whatever period they came out.

1-50 class quests take place at 2.0, 50-60 class quests take place at 3.0 and 60-70 class quests take place at 4.0.

The only exceptions are like DRK/AST/MCH 30-50 taking place at 3.0 as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Early dragoon class quests would simply make no sense if you did them after a certain point in the HW story.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep, sadly, unless they create tech to replace characters in side quests with lower ranked npcs who can perform a similar role. You could be serving a feast for a high-ranking merchant if the queen is dead. Boring, but plausible.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean they could say gently caress it and let the incompatibility slide, but I think it would give Koji Fox an aneurysm.

Be nice to Koji.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Early dragoon class quests would simply make no sense if you did them after a certain point in the HW story.

the echo did it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SettingSun posted:

I always just thought that was just "Yeah you're doing it now but canonically your WoL did this during the expac it was part of."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Incidentally, the ver- is for vermilion not veritas.

Did anyone ever confirm that? I actually assumed pre-release that it was "vermillion," but "veritas" got spread around and I figured that must be true because everyone said it like it came from somewhere.

I'm only up to 60 on RDM--does one of the later job quests explain the spell names or something?

Speaking of spell names, has anyone from the localization team ever talked about why they went for numbered spells instead of the -ra/-ga/-ja naming scheme? I understood in FFXI--the -ga spells were AoE, so you could have things like Firaga III--but in FFXIV, that's not the case. Does Koji just prefer Fire IV to Firaja?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Did anyone ever confirm that? I actually assumed pre-release that it was "vermillion," but "veritas" got spread around and I figured that must be true because everyone said it like it came from somewhere.

I'm only up to 60 on RDM--does one of the later job quests explain the spell names or something?

Their LB3 is Vermilion Scourge. I'd bet they are short for RedAero, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am dangerously close to hitting 60 on my WHM and I don't have Stormblood yet. I'm concerned.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FisheyStix posted:

The first queue I did after reading this was Sastasha and I am holding you personally responsible! :argh:

There's nothing more aggravating than getting Sastasha when everyone involved is like level 40 or above.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Their LB3 is Vermilion Scourge. I'd bet they short for RedAero, etc.

Missed opportunity for Verultima

Edit: Though "Vermilion Scourge" does sound :krad: as hell

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 29, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Harrow posted:

Edit: Though "Vermilion Scourge" does sound :krad: as hell

It looks loving amazing. Better than any other AOE LB3 imo.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Harrow posted:

Speaking of spell names, has anyone from the localization team ever talked about why they went for numbered spells instead of the -ra/-ga/-ja naming scheme? I understood in FFXI--the -ga spells were AoE, so you could have things like Firaga III--but in FFXIV, that's not the case. Does Koji just prefer Fire IV to Firaja?

One of the interactive books in Gubal Hard Mode talks about it.

Proceedings of the Council of Magi: posted:

Proceedings of the 284th Convocation of the Amdapori Council of Magi A Vote was called to settle on a Name for a potent and newly-fashioned Healing-Spell.

Being that said Healing-Spell was an Augmentation of Curaga, erst the most potent Healing-Spell, the following Names were proposed by the Council.

Curago, Curaza, Curaja, Curagura

Finding the afore-written Names duly lacking in Gravity and the existing Hierarchy of Spell-Names needlessly abstruse, the Council did Vote by a margin of Seventeen to Three to do away with existing Naming-Conventions entirely and adopt a new system of numerical Spell-Names, as writ below, to be used henceforth.

Cure I, Cure II, Cure III, Cure IV 

Essentially the flavor names don't add anything but flavor, at the cost of not being crystal clear to someone who might not care about fancy spell names.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It looks loving amazing. Better than any other AOE LB3 imo.

How often do AoE LB3s get used, anyway? I haven't done a lot of 8-player stuff in FFXIV but in dungeons I know melee tends to get priority for who gets to LB. Are there AoE LB situations that come up in raids sometimes?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 29, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah. When the melee DPS are dead or too locked-in to remember to hit LB3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shere posted:

Essentially the flavor names don't add anything but flavor, at the cost of not being crystal clear to someone who might not care about fancy spell names.

Those magi were wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Or an fight has adds that need to die ASAP like in A10S.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

use AoE LBs on the last multipull of a dungeon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Caster LB is more than half the potency of melee LB, so it's better total damage any time there's more than one mob up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I almost wish LBs were personal instead of party-based, even though they'd have to be toned down quite a bit as a result. Using one feels really good but unless you're melee DPS, you're probably not getting to use an LB3 unless things have gone terribly wrong. I think I've seen videos of raid fights where a tank LB is used at a certain point, maybe?

I should start using caster/ranged LB on big AoE pulls in dungeons though. Most of the time in duty finder nobody remembers to LB the last boss anyway.

Also I think my favorite caster LB3 might still be Meteor, because I love how the Black Mage just throws their arms wide as it descends, like "LOOK AT THIS poo poo, THIS IS AMAZING"

Shere posted:

That owns a whole lot. I really like this game's localization team.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 29, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is precedent now for personal limit breaks in PvP with the adrenaline gauge. It wouldn't take much to move that over to PvE I bet.

During the earlier days of A12N I frequently saw the tank LB3 used to soften Alexander's ultimate, which really hit like truck.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Shere posted:

Except I, II, III, & IV are really poor designations for many spells. Cure III is not a replacement for Cure II and nor is Cure II a replacement for Cure I. The only spell lines where it even makes sense got merged into a single button anyways (i.e. stone). Mostly I'm just tired of getting terrible BLMs in leveling roulette that think that Fire II/III are spells you spam and that Fire I doesn't exist to them. Maybe if the spell wasn't named Fire II we could get less people spamming it against a single target because they refuse to read the spell descriptions.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 29, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

those terrible blms would still think fira/firaga are spells you spam

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tank LB3 is basically only ever used on like, Alexander and Bahamut who both have a huge unavoidable damage attack that are nigh if not completely impossible to survive without mitigating it that way. Healer is for when everything has gone to poo poo and you need to rescue everyone, and the damage dealers are for everything else.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Agreed that I would absolutely love personal Lbs even if they're only marginally better than the amount of dps I would have been able to do in the same amount of time.

And I steal rdm bard and smn LB every chance I get as long as I don't think we need it for anything else. I got to feel the rdm LB the second day of playing it when I did susano, it owns bones.

Bard/mch also never ever gets to use theirs, except in extremely rare boss fights to take out adds that spawn far from the boss. it's not like it really matters in face roll 24-mans. Those bosses have so much hp and are being hit by so many people that at most a melee LB shaves off about a second compared to caster.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

How often do AoE LB3s get used, anyway? I haven't done a lot of 8-player stuff in FFXIV but in dungeons I know melee tends to get priority for who gets to LB. Are there AoE LB situations that come up in raids sometimes?

Yeah it comes up in the situation of "I hit my button first because a flying ion cannon is loving rad"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bring back healer LB3 for bard.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Bring back healer LB3 for bard.

you'll take the bow&bow off of my cold dead body

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just did susanoo. jesus christ the average healer skill in this xpac is not great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maguoob posted:

Except I, II, III, & IV are really poor designations for many spells. Cure III is not a replacement for Cure II and nor is Cure II a replacement for Cure I. The only spell lines where it even makes sense got merged into a single button anyways (i.e. stone). Mostly I'm just tired of getting terrible BLMs in leveling roulette that think that Fire II/III are spells you spam and that Fire I doesn't exist to them. Maybe if the spell wasn't named Fire II we could get less people spamming it against a single target because they refuse to read the spell descriptions.

Yeah, I think the reason I don't like the numbers in FFXIV is because, in a lot of cases, spells aren't linear upgrades. Sometimes they are (and thank gently caress they just replace the old version now), but it's often enough that they're not that I think numbering them like they're in a hierarchy could send the wrong message.

I mean, ultimately I agree with Brother Entropy that those terrible BLMs would do the same poo poo if the spells weren't numbered, if only because that's how it works in every non-MMO Final Fantasy game, but if nothing else I think numbering them doesn't really aid in communication. Some players are so bad that if you renamed Fire II to "Area Fire That Does Less Damage" and Fire III to "Basically Just Give Me Astral Fire Stacks" they'd still spam them because they're like Fire, but bigger, so they must be better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have never, ever seen a black mage using Fire 2 on a single target. In fact I often see the exact opposite, where black mages use their single target spells in a massive pull.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

I have never, ever seen a black mage using Fire 2 on a single target. In fact I often see the exact opposite, where black mages use their single target spells in a massive pull.

Oh you fortunate soul.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Got a invitation to return. I remember that PBC was the serious business group and DGKK was the chillsquad. Is that still the case? What's Third Party Tools all about?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

For my 50/60 roulette the other day I got into Cheeseflox Hardstop and the BLM used their single-target rotation through the entire dungeon. Even after advising them on what their AOE rotation would be, they never responded and never changed their ways.

:smithicide:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
All three of the free companies are nearly identical except for the no-spoiler policy in TPT.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

Got a invitation to return. I remember that PBC was the serious business group and DGKK was the chillsquad. Is that still the case? What's Third Party Tools all about?

I think that division between the FCs isn't really the case anymore, or if it is, it isn't reflected on the new goon FC website. I've been told TPT has the most stringent anti-spoiler rules in FC chat, but beyond that I don't know if there are any other big differences between the three.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Countblanc posted:

All three of the free companies are nearly identical except for the no-spoiler policy in TPT.

Harrow posted:

I think that division between the FCs isn't really the case anymore, or if it is, it isn't reflected on the new goon FC website. I've been told TPT has the most stringent anti-spoiler rules in FC chat, but beyond that I don't know if there are any other big differences between the three.

Ah, thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The numbering system is kinda goofy because you have stuff like Thunder 1 & 3 being single target while 2 & 4 are AOE, but fire and blizzard 1 3 and 4 are single target while 2 is aoe, but blizzard 2 is a point blank aoe... I suppose they could have swapped flare and fire 4's, so they have the same pattern of odds are single target, evens are aoe, but then that'd remove the enochian = level 4 spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

SettingSun posted:

There is precedent now for personal limit breaks in PvP with the adrenaline gauge. It wouldn't take much to move that over to PvE I bet.

During the earlier days of A12N I frequently saw the tank LB3 used to soften Alexander's ultimate, which really hit like truck.

:confused: You're supposed to do that, it's not optional.