Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even further beyond that i don't think it works all that well as a stand, either. too many moving parts going on, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just re-read baby face and oofa doofa that loving sucks, I did not remember that at all.

it's wild how araki can write kira for like four years and make him threatening without really any kind of sexual violence and then goes to write a guy's ghost computer committing sexual violence.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I would like to also point out that it was still being serialized in Shonen Jump at that point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's a given mista would end up killing a gay man bucialleti?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

thank god bucialleti saved mista from his fated path of gay slayer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Japan is highly conservative when it comes to homosexuals

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mista got his dick sucked by giorno on a park bench, he's fine now

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daxing Dan posted:

After a lot of last minute rushing and network issues, it's finally done. Please enjoy the last volume of Vento Aureo.

Finally gonna read this

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Now no one has any excuse to skip any of the parts and I can tell them to get hosed.

Not that I didn't do that before anyway

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

After a lot of last minute rushing and network issues, it's finally done. Please enjoy the last volume of Vento Aureo.

Hell yeah, thanks so much. I know what I'm binge reading tonight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Actually I'm much happier I read a translation that made sense and was accurate as my first experience of Vento Aureo instead of tiny scans with 9 pages of notes on King Crimson

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/880215778410119169

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Gold Experience Requiem is a real hosed up power.

Also, the old translation of it 'resetting things to 0' or whatever seems even less accurate than the old explanation of King Crimson.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, the old translation of it 'resetting things to 0' or whatever seems even less accurate than the old explanation of King Crimson.

Saying King Crimson's ability is turning the concept of time into sausages that protect Diavolo from swarms of carnivorous panda bears is possibly more accurate than the previous translation.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So uhhh what does it do then? I always thought it was just an extension of Giorno's power over life by killing diavolo with infinite life, resulting in him being fated to die but never reaching death, but I guess that's wrong and it actually just rewinds events and harms whoever tries to hurt Giorno by sending them away to experience eternal death?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

So uhhh what does it do then? I always thought it was just an extension of Giorno's power over life by killing diavolo with infinite life, resulting in him being fated to die but never reaching death, but I guess that's wrong and it actually just rewinds events and harms whoever tries to hurt Giorno by sending them away to experience eternal death?

From the way it was described it seems like it removes someone from reality so they will forever die but never face the reality of death.

This has nothing to do with it's previous ability but neither did Silver Chariot Requiem's power so it's consistent.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Gold Experience Requiem can stop any action from happening (as it does with Diavolo's final time erasure and his subsequent attack against Giorno). So if Diavolo decides to continually attack Giorno, Gold Experience Requiem can stop the attack, and as long as Diavolo or Giorno don't decide to interrupt the action of Diavolo's that has been looped (by Diavolo stepping away or by Giorno physically stopping Diavolo), Diavolo will just sit there attacking Giorno forever.

So then Giorno kills Diavolo using Gold Experience Requiem. Nothing can actually stop Diavolo from being killed at this point, but since GER's power has removed the "action" of his death, the universe doesn't know what to do with Diavolo and more or less boots him out of reality. Fate tries to kill Diavolo by putting him in a situation that will result in his death, but because GER's power has rendered "Diavolo dying" an impossibility, the universe can only get close to killing Diavolo before its attempt is aborted and it has to try again.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i just finished part 3 of the anime last week and have been mindblown at how great this anime and araki have been in creating this universe and character and flow of story and im about to start part 4 after i grab a mcflurry so wish me luck (once i finish part 4 and dont feel super scared of getting hella spoiled ill read the thread and write out a good lil post on all my thoughts on this hilarious franchise)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Gold Experience Requiem can stop any action from happening (as it does with Diavolo's final time erasure and his subsequent attack against Giorno). So if Diavolo decides to continually attack Giorno, Gold Experience Requiem can stop the attack, and as long as Diavolo or Giorno don't decide to interrupt the action of Diavolo's that has been looped (by Diavolo stepping away or by Giorno physically stopping Diavolo), Diavolo will just sit there attacking Giorno forever.

So then Giorno kills Diavolo using Gold Experience Requiem. Nothing can actually stop Diavolo from being killed at this point, but since GER's power has removed the "action" of his death, the universe doesn't know what to do with Diavolo and more or less boots him out of reality. Fate tries to kill Diavolo by putting him in a situation that will result in his death, but because GER's power has rendered "Diavolo dying" an impossibility, the universe can only get close to killing Diavolo before its attempt is aborted and it has to try again.

Is that explained in some extra material or something? Because the chapter goes on about Reality and even GER explains the ability as "and now you are no longer a part of Reality" and Giorno concluding that "He will never arrive at the Reality of death.... Infinitely". It doesn't mention stopping actions at all.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is that explained in some extra material or something? Because the chapter goes on about Reality and even GER explains the ability as "and now you are no longer a part of Reality" and Giorno concluding that "He will never arrive at the Reality of death.... Infinitely". It doesn't mention stopping actions at all.

It's possible that that's all it is. Gold Experience Requiem's info page refers to it being able to "set actions to zero", though. That's why I think its actual power is to just nullify anything it wants.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hi all, I'm running a Jojo's themed discord based game and I figured it might be worthwhile to mention it here in case anyone would be interested. Get a custom designed Stand, interact with other Stand users, and try and survive. Currently at 25+ players, but always looking for more! Signups end July 2nd

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823936

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Hi all, I'm running a Jojo's themed discord based game and I figured it might be worthwhile to mention it here in case anyone would be interested. Get a custom designed Stand, interact with other Stand users, and try and survive. Currently at 25+ players, but always looking for more! Signups end July 2nd

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823936

Man how do you even run a game with that many players in it, I feel like it'd become too much of a clusterfuck at that point :v:

I'm tempted to take the stand test just to see what the result would be (I'm in another discord that had its own stand generator bot thing and it just randomly generated stats and a name, you had to come up with the ability yourself) except I don't really intend on playing so I know it'd just be a waste of your time.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Right here.

To elaborate, since Requiem Stands control living souls, basically GER is resetting the will to fight (and to summon Stands) to zero, which is why erasing time doesn't work for Diavolo anymore and why he can't summon King Crimson during the death loop.

As for the death thing, since it's established that 1) once you're dead, you're dead and 2) GER can even reset death to zero, the fabric of reality can't handle that, so Diavolo is shunted off to a reality where he dies, but it doesn't happen, so reality tries again, and it can't happen because his death is at zero, and on, and on, and on.

As for "he's no longer part of reality", I just thought of it as a poetic way of saying he sent Diavolo to hell. :shrug:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BaDandy posted:

Right here.

To elaborate, since Requiem Stands control living souls, basically GER is resetting the will to fight (and to summon Stands) to zero, which is why erasing time doesn't work for Diavolo anymore and why he can't summon King Crimson during the death loop.

As for the death thing, since it's established that 1) once you're dead, you're dead and 2) GER can even reset death to zero, the fabric of reality can't handle that, so Diavolo is shunted off to a reality where he dies, but it doesn't happen, so reality tries again, and it can't happen because his death is at zero, and on, and on, and on.

As for "he's no longer part of reality", I just thought of it as a poetic way of saying he sent Diavolo to hell. :shrug:

I always kind of interpreted GER as like…『stopping』things from happening. It stops Diavolo from being able to attack him, and it stops him from being able to stop dying. I like your interpretation that reality basically can’t handle it, so it just throws him in some pocket dimension or something. “Turning it to 0” has just always felt like weird JoJo terminology to me, even with the new (fantastic) translation.

Of course, we really can’t know for sure unless we actually got a chance to see GER use its powers more. Which we don’t, so we’ll kind of just never know for sure, I guess. I’d ask if anyone’s asked Araki about it, but we all know how reliable “Araki says” is.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GER's power is to resolve the plot of Part 5.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Funky Valentine posted:

GER's power is to resolve the plot of Part 5.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The good translation for part 5 is Jojo's Colored Adventure, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yup, with the first volume or two being done by Jojo Project, I think.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

Thank you and the rest of your team for all your hard work! Having never read Part 5, I just binged through this and what an amazing ride it is.

Squats fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Does anyone know a good writeup of why the original part 5 translation is bad? I remember seeing a particularly lengthy one that went into a lot of detail about the mistranslations (and sometimes outright lies) and I was going to show it to a friend, but I'm having trouble finding it again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zinkraptor posted:

Does anyone know a good writeup of why the original part 5 translation is bad? I remember seeing a particularly lengthy one that went into a lot of detail about the mistranslations (and sometimes outright lies) and I was going to show it to a friend, but I'm having trouble finding it again.

I think the best example is during the white album fight. In the current translation, Ghiaccio gets really pissed about how when people in film are French and they say Paris, they pronounce it the French way, but when people in film are Italian, they don't pronounce Venice the Italian way. He is so furious about this, what with him being Italian, that he feels they should all say it the Italian way, dammit.

In the old translation, the person seemed to understand that Ghiaccio was angry about pronunciation, but he seemed to stop translating at the Paris part because Italian hitman Ghiaccio starts going on a tirade about how mad he is that people don't speak French.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Black Sabbath is loving badass!

Echoes Act 3 continues to be the leader of T H O T P A T R O L

frank.club fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 30, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every time i read a new JoJo thing I think "drat this is loving sick" and then something like the banana gun happens and I remember why JoJo's bizarre adventure is the sickest thing in the universe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the best example is during the white album fight. In the current translation, Ghiaccio gets really pissed about how when people in film are French and they say Paris, they pronounce it the French way, but when people in film are Italian, they don't pronounce Venice the Italian way. He is so furious about this, what with him being Italian, that he feels they should all say it the Italian way, dammit.

In the old translation, the person seemed to understand that Ghiaccio was angry about pronunciation, but he seemed to stop translating at the Paris part because Italian hitman Ghiaccio starts going on a tirade about how mad he is that people don't speak French.

I think the actual best example is when the manga shows a labeled map of Venice, and the translator misreads Venice as Vienna and just goes with it, somehow ignoring not only the explicitly established setting of the part, but even the labels on the map.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the actual best example is when the manga shows a labeled map of Venice, and the translator misreads Venice as Vienna and just goes with it, somehow ignoring not only the explicitly established setting of the part, but even the labels on the map.

He's got his passion; he's got his pride, but doesn't he know that only fools are satisfied?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, the map is of an island.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

frank.club posted:

every time i read a new JoJo thing I think "drat this is loving sick" and then something like the banana gun happens and I remember why JoJo's bizarre adventure is the sickest thing in the universe.
jojo def has this quality to it where you can tell araki is having just as much writing and drawing it as you are reading it, maybe even more

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So I'm finally reading part five and Doppio loving rules.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
spoilers for part 5, but diavolo's entrance animation in all star battle justified that game's entire existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Molto bene.