Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What card is it?

Honestly haven't picked one out yet. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a horrible decision first. Looking at NerdWallet there are a ton of options for 0% intro APR cards. At a glance, Chase Freedom seems like it would be the best bet due to the $150 bonus on $500 spend. Based on the amount of money I plan on putting on it, that will be more valuable than 2% from Citi Double Cash (and I already have the Fidelity card for 2% on everything). I should note that I'm not planning a balance transfer, only purchases. Also, I only plan on paying the minimum for ~3 months; would have the entire balanced paid off well before the intro APR ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Splinter posted:

Honestly haven't picked one out yet. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a horrible decision first. Looking at NerdWallet there are a ton of options for 0% intro APR cards. At a glance, Chase Freedom seems like it would be the best bet due to the $150 bonus on $500 spend. Based on the amount of money I plan on putting on it, that will be more valuable than 2% from Citi Double Cash (and I already have the Fidelity card for 2% on everything). I should note that I'm not planning a balance transfer, only purchases. Also, I only plan on paying the minimum for ~3 months; would have the entire balanced paid off well before the intro APR ends.

In that case, then a Chase Freedom or Discover IT is probably your best best.

You can get a $50 sign on bonus with the Discover IT through a referral link and all cashback you earn for the first year is doubled (including the $50 sign on).

If you plan on using the card for a while and getting cashback, then I'd go Discover.

If you're just going to put one large purchase on it and use a different card for cashback, then go Freedom.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I plan on staying with BCP and Fidelity rewards for cashback over the long term, so I'll go with the Freedom. Thanks!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

In that case, then a Chase Freedom or Discover IT is probably your best best.

In the current environment, if you don't have both of these cards (or plan to get them), you're doing it wrong.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

In the current environment, if you don't have both of these cards (or plan to get them), you're doing it wrong.

They have the same quarterly bonus categories for the most part

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

EugeneJ posted:

They are overlapping next quarter, but they usually don't.

They only overlapped once last year.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They are overlapping next quarter, but they usually don't.

They only overlapped once last year.

Jan-March

Chase Freedom: Gas Stations/Local Transportation
Discover It: Gas Stations/Ground Transportation/Wholesale Clubs

April-June

Chase Freedom: Grocery Stores/Drug Stores
Discover It: Home Improvement Stores/Wholesale Clubs

July-Sep

Chase Freedom: Restaurants
Discover It: Restaurants

Oct-Dec

Chase Freedom: Holiday TBA
Discover It: Amazon & More

Alright not exactly the same, but Gas/Groceries/Restaurants/Holiday Shopping is the pattern

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

EugeneJ posted:

Jan-March

Chase Freedom: Gas Stations/Local Transportation
Discover It: Gas Stations/Ground Transportation/Wholesale Clubs

April-June

Chase Freedom: Grocery Stores/Drug Stores
Discover It: Home Improvement Stores/Wholesale Clubs

July-Sep

Chase Freedom: Restaurants
Discover It: Restaurants

Oct-Dec

Chase Freedom: Holiday TBA
Discover It: Amazon & More

Alright not exactly the same, but Gas/Groceries/Restaurants/Holiday Shopping is the pattern

I didn't consider January to be overlapping because of the Wholesale clubs.

They do the same categories every year, they just switch the order and pairings.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Regardless, they sometimes differ, have no annual fees, and have easy-to-get signup bonuses.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I didn't see this mentioned in this thread but for those of you with the CapitalOne Quicksilver, there's a promotion with Spotify where you get 50% of your monthly subscription fee back as statement credit if you pay with the quicksilver card. It's not just for new Spotify accounts either, and the promotion runs through April 2018.

I switched my billing info over to the Quicksilver card and received the statement credit about 3 or 4 days after I was charged.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Hyatt card sign up bonus is changing from 2 nights at any property to 40k points https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/hyatt-sign-up-bonus-drops-june-29/

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
That'll probably be worth more to a larger subset of people I imagine.

Granted, if you used those two nights at one of their very best properties you got a lot more value out of the old bonus but if you aren't planning a trip around that and are happier getting free nights elsewhere it works out ok.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread but for those of you with the CapitalOne Quicksilver, there's a promotion with Spotify where you get 50% of your monthly subscription fee back as statement credit if you pay with the quicksilver card. It's not just for new Spotify accounts either, and the promotion runs through April 2018.

I switched my billing info over to the Quicksilver card and received the statement credit about 3 or 4 days after I was charged.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Virtue posted:

The annual fee for my CSP is coming up and I haven't used the card in months between my CSR, freedom, and double cash.

Should I look to cancel or downgrade to either a freedom unlimited or no fee sapphire? My first thought was freedom unlimited but then I wouldn't be able to churn that card in the future for the bonus right

If you value UR points, the FU earns 2.25% once you transfer to the CSR. If you max out the 5% categories, you can PC the CSP into another Freedom. Or just cancel and apply again once you're 24 months past the bonus.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just got the wife approved for both Southwest Cards.

Guess we're in two player mode now.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

If you value UR points, the FU earns 2.25% once you transfer to the CSR. If you max out the 5% categories, you can PC the CSP into another Freedom. Or just cancel and apply again once you're 24 months past the bonus.

Hmm maybe this should replace my doublecash then

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virtue posted:

Hmm maybe this should replace my doublecash then

Only if you would transfer and use the points for high value partner transfers like Hyatt, you will be making only 1.5% cash back still.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Just got an email from Chase and it appears my Metal Amazon Prime Card is on the way! Gonna be ballin, this is weird though because I cancelled Prime towards the end of last month and they sent me an email about going back to 3%. I usually just watch Prime Video so will sign back up pretty soon, just wanted to watch some stuff on Hulu and HBO Now.

Anyone else get such an email?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The card is separate from your Prime account, it's just worth way more with a Prime account.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Oh I know, 5 vs 3%, just excited to get the card, though it didn't SAY it was metal, not a big deal either way.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

baquerd posted:

Only if you would transfer and use the points for high value partner transfers like Hyatt, you will be making only 1.5% cash back still.

No, if you use the points on the Chases travel portal for the CSR, the points are worth an extra 50% (25% for the CSP). Since the Freedom Unlimited already makes 1.5 per dollar, that brings it up to 2.25% cash back if used on the travel portal, which you should use because its awesome (its basically Expedia.)

But you are not completely wrong in that transferring points to Hyatt is sometimes a better value, around 1.8, vs the 1.5 value on the travel portal. But Hyatt properties are not really widespread, and sometimes you wanna stay in small boutique hotels in foreign countries. Don't underestimate the travel portal.

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 28, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Is the Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it with the 50k bonus? I do a lot of traveling and need a no foreign transaction Visa, but I do have a Delta Platinum AMEX that is my primary card right now for earning miles.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LinYutang posted:

Is the Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it with the 50k bonus? I do a lot of traveling and need a no foreign transaction Visa, but I do have a Delta Platinum AMEX that is my primary card right now for earning miles.

Depends on how you look at it. If you do the Chase trifecta theres ways to earn aggressively and redeem for higher percentages. I don't do this but know others in the thread chat about it.

That said, with the $300 travel credit, this card effectively has a fee of $150 instead of $550. You get Priority Pass Select membership which is handy but it sounds like you probably make use of the Delta lounges.

I got mine because of the bonus, we'll see if I keep it. I like the Capital One Ventures for a cheaper card with no transaction fee.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Fee is $450, charged on your account anniversary. The $300 travel credit is per calendar year. It's a no brainer for one year to get two travel credits and cancel before the second annual fee, even better if you can take advantage of the Global Entry refund.

antiga fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

antiga posted:

Fee is $450, charged on your account anniversary. The $300 travel credit is per calendar year. It's a no brainer for one year to get two travel credits and cancel before the second annual fee, even better if you can take advantage of the Global Entry refund.

They are changing the travel credit so that you can only redeem it once per card anniversary.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

antiga posted:

This is no longer true as of May 21; the travel credit is now based on cardmember year.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-change-sapphire-reserve-travel-credit-calendar-year-cardmember-year-may-21/

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Good call, I missed the update.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Does anyone happen to know when the Chase Hyatt card's annual fee is charged? Debating whether to sign up for it today before the bonus changes.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Nur_Neerg posted:

Does anyone happen to know when the Chase Hyatt card's annual fee is charged? Debating whether to sign up for it today before the bonus changes.

It's not waived for the first year, so probably on the first bill.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Nur_Neerg posted:

I just tried to sign up for this because I had been planning to eventually and I didn't know the 2 free nights were going away, and while the signup page advertises the 2 free nights, as soon as you get past the first page it offers you the 40k points instead.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Elysium posted:

I just tried to sign up for this because I had been planning to eventually and I didn't know the 2 free nights were going away, and while the signup page advertises the 2 free nights, as soon as you get past the first page it offers you the 40k points instead.

Oh well, just gonna hold off for now then, thanks. Amex Gold for Delta: approved! That'll be a nice free flight to my see my dad in comfort seats both ways :v:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Animal posted:

No, if you use the points on the Chases travel portal for the CSR, the points are worth an extra 50% (25% for the CSP). Since the Freedom Unlimited already makes 1.5 per dollar, that brings it up to 2.25% cash back if used on the travel portal, which you should use because its awesome (its basically Expedia.)

But you are not completely wrong in that transferring points to Hyatt is sometimes a better value, around 1.8, vs the 1.5 value on the travel portal. But Hyatt properties are not really widespread, and sometimes you wanna stay in small boutique hotels in foreign countries. Don't underestimate the travel portal.

Interesting. I've had poo poo luck with the travel portal myself - even with the 25% off I've gotten better prices from travel booking sites, but if I had a CSR and the 50%, I could see that turn around.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

They are changing the travel credit so that you can only redeem it once per card anniversary.

Wow that's brutal, so glad I locked in the 100k bonus and double travel bonus when I had the chance.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow that's brutal, so glad I locked in the 100k bonus and double travel bonus when I had the chance.

My 5/24 :cry:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

baquerd posted:

Interesting. I've had poo poo luck with the travel portal myself - even with the 25% off I've gotten better prices from travel booking sites, but if I had a CSR and the 50%, I could see that turn around.

They literally mirror expedia and the like. I've booked ~5 hotels and 4 flights with CSR/CSP and everytime the price I've been charged agreed with google flights or expedia/booking.com, as in it was the exact same.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Elysium posted:

What? That's dumb. The two free nights applies to all their properties. 40k points is nothing!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

What? That's dumb. The two free nights applies to all their properties. 40k points is nothing!

At least it's still two free nights at a huge number of their properties, but it's certainly not a positive change.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Is the Chase Reserve still a reasonable card? My wife spend ~$2000/month on reimbursed travel expenses, mostly hotels, and I'm planning on applying for Global Entry soon, so it seems like it would be worthwhile. Is there a better high-fee travel card right now for that kind of situation?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
How many of those hotel stays are 4 nights or more? If some are, look in to the Citi Prestige, if it would be possible for you to get the fourth night free benefit. It also gives Global Entry I believe. Otherwise I think the Reserve or Ink Preferred and their 3x points are probably the best.

Alternative: keep signing up for more cards and use that spend to get sign up bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADolan
Apr 8, 2008
Does anyone have the USAA Limitless credit card? Looking into getting my first credit card ( I'd like to really only have 1 card for simplicity) and this seems to be the best general card in terms of consistent cash back. I don't know how USAA is for banking services since I would be required to open a checking account in order to get the 2.5% cash back.