Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

So, if we have love, is it possible to figure out a viable not-miserable ending for Ange? Like, being able to believe in Amakusa protecting Ange despite his contract? I can envision it, he's enough of a lovable rogue to pull something like that.

But is Ange's story a story about love, or a story devoid of it? That's what's really driving me up the wall right now. I'd like to think, though, that her last scene with the stakes and the thugs show that she's fashioned enough sympathy for her blood aunt to have gained some love in her life, small as it might be.

I want to believe in miracles. :unsmith: I'm hoping that Ange does find the love she needs, because goodness knows her life has been crazy so far.

This update was great! Good and bad things are being set up to happen next episode! Get pumped. :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

salavant posted:

I'm curious what y'all think the next two episodes will bring (as someone who knows).

Random thoughts:
We probably (not certainly) get an explanation of how all the locked rooms were made. Ange's situation is the most open plot question; I assume what we saw from her this chapter slots in before she reaches the island and faces a crowd of gunmen. Ep 7 could have her surviving that and getting to explore the old house. If there's another round of murders, I don't know what'll be done to keep them fresh. Erika as the game master and Beato as the detective? Showing the killings from the murders' point of view? I believe Shannon (=K=B) has had access to the gold, so that'll have to come up, which will mean solving the epitaph. The entire thing will probably have a happy ending, where Battler and new girlfriend Sayo come back to Ange. It feels like Ange is secretly our protagonist.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Next episode Beato and Battler go on a honeymoon to a hot spring resort--but the rest of the Ushiromiyas come to crash their party! Once the bodies start piling up, will the newlyweds be able to solve the mystery and salvage their vacation? Tune in next time for "Just Married Murdered!" (More fanservice coming soon! ahaha.wav)

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Christ this update really bites into that happy ending with Ange basically complimenting fan-fiction. Also Ange talking about everyone dying in an accident (was it referred to an accident before?) anyway is probably the last flag telling me to solve the mystery, but maybe thats just how I feel after reading through Higurashi's 6th episode "happy ending".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fabulousvillain posted:

Christ this update really bites into that happy ending with Ange basically complimenting fan-fiction. Also Ange talking about everyone dying in an accident (was it referred to an accident before?) anyway is probably the last flag telling me to solve the mystery, but maybe thats just how I feel after reading through Higurashi's 6th episode "happy ending".

The accident theory is the official report's explanation for the deaths on Rokkenjima.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The accident theory is the official report's explanation for the deaths on Rokkenjima.

Also a good explanation for how Battler was killed at the end of episode 4 despite being alone on the island.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ZiegeDame posted:

Also a good explanation for how Battler was killed at the end of episode 4 despite being alone on the island.

It would truly be the most amazing twist if after all the times Battler used "trap X" as his argument, that's what actually killed him.

Also predictions:
We need a new detective. Probably someone a lot more chill than Battler and Erika, unless they somehow manage to top Erika.
Battler is the game master henceforth.
We need answers to our locked rooms, and the comments have suggested those will be provided.
A general resolution regarding Ange.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cyouni posted:

We need a new detective. Probably someone a lot more chill than Battler and Erika, unless they somehow manage to top Erika.

My guess is that if they need an antagonist, they might drag Bern and Lambda into the game directly, try and stop their machinations there. I think their plotline is still active.

Maybe Ange will help again? Maybe it's going to be letting love into her life again that allows her to let a version of her brother defeat the two shortcackles, and come to terms with her life situation before she gets assassinated, Schrodinger style.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
At a guess the last detective might be Ange? It seems a bit late to add new characters, but we've possibly yet to meet the original SSKYB, so we've got at least one coming, assuming Sayo or Yoshia aren't original, and the the original is still around.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ange will survive and live happily with Amakusa and the next two episodes are slice of life in the Golden Land.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
A "miracle" was mentioned. So... what would count as a miracle?
- Ange attends the family conference
- There are no murders at the family conference
- Eva accepts Shannon and George's love (This one is probably wrong, it doesn't feel like it impacts enough things)

Or, maybe if we're going really far back...
- Natsuhi accepts cliff-baby and cliff-baby never becomes such

Are there any other things we could count as a "miracle" as this author's intended? Like, one in a million shots.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

curiousCat posted:

A "miracle" was mentioned. So... what would count as a miracle?
- Ange attends the family conference
- There are no murders at the family conference
- Eva accepts Shannon and George's love (This one is probably wrong, it doesn't feel like it impacts enough things)

Or, maybe if we're going really far back...
- Natsuhi accepts cliff-baby and cliff-baby never becomes such

Are there any other things we could count as a "miracle" as this author's intended? Like, one in a million shots.

- Kinzo is a good dad
- Asumu lives and Battler attends the conferences from 1980-1986 (could be an interesting possibility, because of what that would mean for Ange) edit: oh yeah, and Battler takes Sayo away from the island and they live happily ever after. episodes 7-8 are slice-of-life high school comedy AUs
- Cliff baby doesn't survive the fall

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
Why stop at one in a million when you can have a one in a quadrillion shot?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think Amakusa was trusting in the goons to shoot Ange, which is why he expressed hope that they were good shots. Though frankly they don't need to be to hit someone at close range when there are like 5 of them, so I'm not sure I understand what he was doing. I guess maybe the luck he's trusting in is whether the goons could kill Ange before he finished killing them - he doesn't want to kill her himself, and he's not sure if he wants her to die, so he gives her a chance to survive by starting to kill the goons before they kill her. Either they kill her before they die or they don't, and that decides if she survives.

Maybe.

Also, Nier Automata is great but it is a very, very different game than Umineko.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Qrr posted:

I think Amakusa was trusting in the goons to shoot Ange, which is why he expressed hope that they were good shots. Though frankly they don't need to be to hit someone at close range when there are like 5 of them, so I'm not sure I understand what he was doing. I guess maybe the luck he's trusting in is whether the goons could kill Ange before he finished killing them - he doesn't want to kill her himself, and he's not sure if he wants her to die, so he gives her a chance to survive by starting to kill the goons before they kill her. Either they kill her before they die or they don't, and that decides if she survives.

Maybe.

Also, Nier Automata is great but it is a very, very different game than Umineko.

but why would we kill ange?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

but why would we kill ange?

Maybe it's another aspect of love we have to understand: if we love something, we have to be able to let it go. If we care about Ange, we have to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, dying is the only way she can get true closure regarding the tragedy surrounding her lost family, and move on.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Woah, dude, that's... bleak, even for you. There's other way's to get closure than being shot, you know.

(Wow, all y'all really have no faith in Amakusa, huh? I thought as a doubter, I was the one to lack love.)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Whoa, I thought I was being dark with my "Asumu lives and Ange is never born so everyone is happy" theory

Although if I think about it, that would exponentially increase Kyrie's jealousy and potentially cause a massacre anyway?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to believe in Amakusa. I think Ange is smart enough to choose her companions better.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I was just joking about the goons part :cripes:

e. also I think a happy ending would be cheap. Everyone is dead. Everyone dies. And I don't think Amakusa has love. Love is over, now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
My cat is literally dying, I'm kinda in a weird place right now.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

bman in 2288 posted:

Aww, buddy. I'm sorry to hear that. :love:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

Same. :smith: :respek: :smith:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
^^ And you!

bman in 2288 posted:

Aww, no :( Thinking of you and your sweet kitty and hope s/he gets better, and I'll go home and tell my own kitty to send his thoughts as well.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ange would not be the first teenage girl Amakusa has been hired to kill.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZiegeDame posted:

Ange would not be the first teenage girl Amakusa has been hired to kill.

He would also not be the first girl he'd fail to kill and thus get owned by.

(Satoko owns)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Aww, buddy. I'm sorry to hear that. :love:

resurgam40 posted:

Aww, no :( Thinking of you and your sweet kitty and hope s/he gets better, and I'll go home and tell my own kitty to send his thoughts as well.

Thanks you guys. Currently just got her home, she's under a lot of painkillers right now.

I was gonna say something about understanding love and trying to contribute to the thread, but like I said: burnt out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do like that the conversations with Featherine in the story were actually part of the book Ange was reading.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm completely thrown by that final red text. To me humans implies bodies, people implies distinct personalities. If S=K, surely there would be 17 humans and 18 people (because while they're not separately humans, they are separate people). Instead it's reversed and there are 18 humans and 17 people. Is someone comatose or braindead?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

e. also I think a happy ending would be cheap. Everyone is dead. Everyone dies. And I don't think Amakusa has love. Love is over, now.

An earnt happy ending isn't cheap. It is very hard to pull off though. I still think Ange will live on future Rokkenjima. Surely Amakusa will do the right thing and not in fact straight up Erika an unconscious teenage girl? In fact, I'd love the next episode to be an episode 4-esque split murder investigation episode, where Ange and Amakusa go full Sherlock Holmes in 1996, and point out flaws in Hachijo's text as she's writing.

curiousCat posted:

The cliff baby is twins.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

CottonWolf posted:

I'm completely thrown by that final red text. To me humans implies bodies, people implies distinct personalities. If S=K, surely there would be 17 humans and 18 people (because while they're not separately humans, they are separate people). Instead it's reversed and there are 18 humans and 17 people. Is someone comatose or braindead?

I don't think there's any significance in the word choice of humans vs. people in those red text statements. The S=K theory offers a simpler explanation:

Shannon and Kanon are two people in one body.

Shannon and Kanon are one person.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, if you treat them as synonymous, there's no problem at all. Can any witches confirm or deny whether they used the same word in both lines in the Japanese? Googling seems like a sure fire way to spoil myself.

E:

ZiegeDame posted:

The rest of this post will be me thinking aloud about my weird twins theory. 2 bodies, the same person. When one is Shannon the other is Kanon and vice versa. Shannon and Kanon are still just different facets of the same person. Both bodies have been on dates with George. George cannot marry two humans, even if they are one person. The Japanese legal system wouldn't recognize it, for starters. Also George may or may not freak the gently caress out at the idea. In order for one of the bodies to marry George, they must sever themself completely from their other half, and George can't ever learn what was going on. The only sure way to achieve this is to kill the other body. Thus the lovers' duel.

I just don't think this makes sense in a world without magic. I don't think they could share their interior lives to the degree that that would work. Wouldn't you constantly have moments where someone refers to something they said to the other you, and you don't know about it yet? Maybe they've dropped hints to that effect thus far, but if so, I've completely missed them.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 30, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

post!=edit

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, if you treat them as synonymous, there's no problem at all. Can any witches confirm or deny whether they used the same word in both lines in the Japanese? Googling seems like a sure fire way to spoil myself.

It does look like Battler and Beato used different ways of phrasing it in Japanese, but I can't read Japanese. :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

bman in 2288 posted:

I was gonna say something about understanding love and trying to contribute to the thread, but like I said: burnt out.

There are more important things than mysteries.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is make them comfortable and hope the painkillers work well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Did a bit of googling.

What Erika did was say she is "Rokkenjima's 18th Human" basically. She used "人間", the Japanese word for human.

While Battler and Beato said that, well, they used simply "人" which means "Person" and is used when counting people.

So yeah effectively the exact same distinction and meaning is used for the original and the translation.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 30, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that image makes it look like Beato has a braided rat-tail

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr Pepper posted:

Did a bit of googing.

What Erika did was say she is "Rokkenjima's 18th Human" basically. She used "人間", the Japanese word for human.

While Battler and Beato said that, well, they used simply "人" which means "Person" and is used when counting people.

So yeah effectively the exact same distinction and meaning is used for the original and the translation.

Cool, cheers. So it still might not matter, but at least it's not a translation thing.

Translating the red text must have been horrible, trying to keep exactly the same nuance between languages.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 30, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CottonWolf posted:

I just don't think this makes sense in a world without magic. I don't think they could share their interior lives to the degree that that would work. Wouldn't you constantly have moments where someone refers to something they said to the other you, and you don't know about it yet? Maybe they've dropped hints to that effect thus far, but if so, I've completely missed them.

It only requires that they meet up once a day to tell each other about what they did that day.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CottonWolf posted:

Cool, cheers. So it still might not matter, but at least it's not a translation thing.

Translating the red text must have been horrible, trying to keep exactly the same nuance between languages.

The hardest part was the epitaph apparently (at least for the old witch-hunt translation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Oh right also I guess another miracle could be the Beatrice that Rosa found doesn't die?

• Locked thread