Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elfgames posted:

In addition to this sometimes have a villain that got away show up broken and down on their luck instead

Yes, definitely do this.

Put NPCs that had a role in one episode into futre episodes backgrounds. For example, as they're leaving the village, Brian the thatcher (who lead the militia counter-charge in S1E4 Siege!) waves at them from a rooftop and wishes them luck. It looks like his arm has healed up well".

To get a sandbox-y vibe, good and bad results from previous episodes should often show up in future epsiodes, but they don't have to be a focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is great, I think I know how I'll want to structure it with these specific players. Thanks a lot!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Power Rangers.

For that matter, what would be a good system to run a sentai campaign?

I'm not sure that a good one exist, here are the ones I would look into in the order I'd look into them in:

- Feng Shui 2
- Strike! (If you are inerested in big fights, Of course)
- Cortex+ Heroic (Hacker's Guide it, or track down the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
This might be one the edge of off topic but this seemed like the best thread for this. Can anyone one here give some paranoia advice? Myself, some friends and some coworkers are getting a paranoia game going since a few of us have wanted to try it for years. I have misfortune (or pleasure) of GMing it and was thinking of using one of the scenario books but I can't find much advise on what would be the best one to pick up. We're going to be playing XP, and the little I've managed to find was that Mr. Bubbles is a good one to start with.

Also any advice on how to GM paranoia is always welcome.

So far I have
forms (in three languages)
Mixture of black,red,blue,green die
2 pages of paranoia stories from around the internet to steal ideas from

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrieking Muppet posted:

This might be one the edge of off topic but this seemed like the best thread for this. Can anyone one here give some paranoia advice? Myself, some friends and some coworkers are getting a paranoia game going since a few of us have wanted to try it for years. I have misfortune (or pleasure) of GMing it and was thinking of using one of the scenario books but I can't find much advise on what would be the best one to pick up. We're going to be playing XP, and the little I've managed to find was that Mr. Bubbles is a good one to start with.

Also any advice on how to GM paranoia is always welcome.

So far I have
forms (in three languages)
Mixture of black,red,blue,green die
2 pages of paranoia stories from around the internet to steal ideas from

If your a fast typer using text 2 speech for friend computer can be rad. Make sure you keep track of everyone's clones, and giving them conflicting secret objectives is always fun. Like give the equipment guy a fun mcguffin, and tell 2 people to steal it that sort of thing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

If your a fast typer using text 2 speech for friend computer can be rad. Make sure you keep track of everyone's clones, and giving them conflicting secret objectives is always fun. Like give the equipment guy a fun mcguffin, and tell 2 people to steal it that sort of thing.

The text 2 speech isn't something I even though of, thanks. And Yeah I already have some competing objectives written down. Another one is going to be keeping the player they usually kill in DnD alive while making him the target of more of less everything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrieking Muppet posted:

The text 2 speech isn't something I even though of, thanks. And Yeah I already have some competing objectives written down. Another one is going to be keeping the player they usually kill in DnD alive while making him the target of more of less everything.

Paranoia is 100% about being a power tripping megalomaniac, so don't feel entitled to the same "fairness" you're expected to give in DnD, if that guy is your favorite, you should go whole hog, give him a promotion at the very beginning of the game, having him be team leader Orange, while everyone else is red, guarantees A.) They can't shoot them without breaking the law for Orange / Yellow Lasers, and B.) They're going to try and kill him every way imaginable. Promotions are fun. Have them bring their cellphones instead of notes, they can do texts, or chats over a discord / google hangout. That way you can keep track of all the secret actions at once. I once had a tense 25 minutes of silence and furious texting, as everyone split up and tried to accomplish they're goals. It was super fun and everyone was giggling by the end.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Have them bring their cellphones instead of notes, they can do texts, or chats over a discord / google hangout. That way you can keep track of all the secret actions at once. I once had a tense 25 minutes of silence and furious texting, as everyone split up and tried to accomplish they're goals. It was super fun and everyone was giggling by the end.

In addition to that, turn your notification volume waaay up.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Moriatti posted:

In addition to that, turn your notification volume waaay up.

And at some point, change your text tone to the Soviet National Anthem.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

echopapa posted:

And at some point, change your text tone to the Soviet National Anthem.

If anyone recognizes it, it's proof that they're a communist and must be terminated.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Every time this thread comes back around to Paranoia it makes me think I should get it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

For that matter, what would be a good system to run a sentai campaign?

Mikan's Last Stand is a good game about what is basically a sentai team.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

UP AND ADAM posted:

I want to run Curse of Strahd, but does anyone have experience or ideas on making the Vistani less outright gypsy stereotypes? I'm thinking that most of them are less outright evil or swindley but more desperate and under the yoke of Strahd, and they give out rationalizations like they help supply Barovia with outside commodities. Isn't it a little silly how boring and tone deaf they are?

I changed them up a lot for my campaign as well, where instead of blatant planar gypsies they're travellers who've been on many planes and have taken many aspects from them. The group with madam eva was still the stereotypical gypsies but every other encounter with them so far has had a different kind of theme. The group near Vallaki for intance had a lot more of a mercenary encampment mixed with a circus troupe kind of feel.(sword juggling and other such entertainments but hard-as-nails assassins and mercs in actuality.) I've also added in some different things such as vistani that are actively trying to take out strahd and his minions for a noble cause(at least mt players think so).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any suggestions on good content/inspiration/etc for an urban D&D campaign other than the Cityscape book?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any suggestions on good content/inspiration/etc for an urban D&D campaign other than the Cityscape book?

Monte Cook's Ptolus

This post from Blog of Holding

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

zak s' vornheim is very good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

I am not going to give that person any money nor endorse his product

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sebmojo posted:

nah

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

AzMiLion posted:

I changed them up a lot for my campaign as well, where instead of blatant planar gypsies they're travellers who've been on many planes and have taken many aspects from them. The group with madam eva was still the stereotypical gypsies but every other encounter with them so far has had a different kind of theme. The group near Vallaki for intance had a lot more of a mercenary encampment mixed with a circus troupe kind of feel.(sword juggling and other such entertainments but hard-as-nails assassins and mercs in actuality.) I've also added in some different things such as vistani that are actively trying to take out strahd and his minions for a noble cause(at least mt players think so).

That's cool. That sounds easy enough to do, I might use that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How might one D&D NPC or a small group of them quietly kill a silver dragon, especially in its humanoid form? Bonus points if they need some exotic materials or tools that don't instantly scream "apocalyptic event."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How might one D&D NPC or a small group of them quietly kill a silver dragon, especially in its humanoid form? Bonus points if they need some exotic materials or tools that don't instantly scream "apocalyptic event."

Are you asking mechanically or for plot suggestions?

Plotwise, it would depend on what kind f threat the NPC(s) are meant to present. It sounds like you want them to be punching (way) above their appropriate weight for this, so my suggestion would be that they found a new patron (demon lord, evil god, or maybe just a rival dragon) who provided them with a special poison or maybe a cursed item that locked the silver in their human form, leaving them vulnerable to more pedestrian methods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Trick it into stepping on some sort of exotic portal. A cursed object of clothing that slowly poisoned any food they touched but also gave an immunity from that poison so it just builds up in they're system and they drop dead shortly after taking it off.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Get it within the area of effect when someone puts a bag of holding inside another bag of holding. It doesn't die but it gets thrown into the astral in whatever hosed up place and the statblock for silver dragons doesn't include Gate or astral travel of any sort, so.

But you lose the potential body as a plothook then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you want it to be in human form, then yes, totally use some kind of cursed item to trap it in 'true' human form where it has like a dozen hit points and you can just run it through with a sword. It's way more dramatic if they can drop it in one blow instead of the dozens that would still be required for conventional murder of a silver dragon old enough to shapeshift.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Get it within the area of effect when someone puts a bag of holding inside another bag of holding. It doesn't die but it gets thrown into the astral in whatever hosed up place and the statblock for silver dragons doesn't include Gate or astral travel of any sort, so.

But you lose the potential body as a plothook then.

Hah I literally came back to post that I had the answer and it was this.

It works extra nice because the guy smuggling in items is just bringing in simple untaxed magic stuff. Technically doesn't kill the dragon but really I just need it out of the area for a while.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hah I literally came back to post that I had the answer and it was this.

It works extra nice because the guy smuggling in items is just bringing in simple untaxed magic stuff. Technically doesn't kill the dragon but really I just need it out of the area for a while.

Following along from Kwyndig, if you just need it out of action, some kind of mindwipe could trap it in human form. Some kind of anmestic poison, perhaps.

Later on, the party can meet a fighter out in the wilderness that seems to be far tougher than his body would offer, and his skin has an odd silver sheen sometimes...

Never waste a perfectly good NPC when they could turn up later. It makes good plot hooks and helps players to engage with the world more organically. (Climactic deaths, OTOH, should be pretty final)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I dunno, it begs the question as to why bag of holding terrorism isn't a more standard thing- all you need is ice and a box and two bags of holding and you've got a scary bomb.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

CrazySalamander posted:

I dunno, it begs the question as to why bag of holding terrorism isn't a more standard thing- all you need is ice and a box and two bags of holding and you've got a scary bomb.

Because it's prohibitively expensive to average Joe Terror. And if you've got cash and the access to magic items you can do a whole lot worse.

Then again, this custom device would be a hilariously effective way to get rid of a dragon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CrazySalamander posted:

that's d&d3e.txt

and actually that's an awesome plot device, particularly if you have some very specific magical components that are needed for them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

Following along from Kwyndig, if you just need it out of action, some kind of mindwipe could trap it in human form. Some kind of anmestic poison, perhaps.

Later on, the party can meet a fighter out in the wilderness that seems to be far tougher than his body would offer, and his skin has an odd silver sheen sometimes...

Never waste a perfectly good NPC when they could turn up later. It makes good plot hooks and helps players to engage with the world more organically. (Climactic deaths, OTOH, should be pretty final)

I imagine an ancient dragon, left to its own devices, could figure out a way to get back to the material plane eventually. I need it out of the picture for a while because the larger plot is to remove him so his regional influence fades and the clouds revert to their fluffy form and the city district built in the clouds falls from the sky to the rest of the city below killing thousands.

It's precisely the kind of major terrorist event I'm willing to believe a group would waste two magic items on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I imagine an ancient dragon, left to its own devices, could figure out a way to get back to the material plane eventually. I need it out of the picture for a while because the larger plot is to remove him so his regional influence fades and the clouds revert to their fluffy form and the city district built in the clouds falls from the sky to the rest of the city below killing thousands.

It's precisely the kind of major terrorist event I'm willing to believe a group would waste two magic items on.

gently caress, the easy way out of the bag of holding trick is eventually someone else pulls a similar trick on something that can teleport out and they bump into each other, if you want the dragon to come back.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The red dragon returns with an army of fiery friends from the elemental plane of fire and he is pissed.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Give it a stacked Deck of Many Things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or my favorite cursed alternative, which looks, feels, smells, and tastes the same: the Deck of One Thing. Your call which one thing it is though.

I don't know how that's actually helpful here but I just like the idea.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Artificer UA for 5e gets a free bag of holding at 2 and a free haversack at 10 and I did an entire build committed to a bag of holding suicide gambit. If you're not using magic items for total fuckery I just don't even know.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A bit of a weird question, but for a Pathfinder campaign I'm running that's about to wrap-up for a while. Either this session or next will most likely include the final boss fight against a Contract Devil who's implicitly been vying to overtake Asmodeus but... really doesn't have the skills, grit or cunning to pull it off. Since he's been implicitly manipulating the party for a long while now to make that easier, this is a thing that has been a long time coming at this point. Everyone is technically over level 20 (I included Mythic stuff to keep things a bit more varied and interesting since we haven't used that before), and has trashed things in a proper brawl that should be harder than this so I'm not worried about their survivability or anything. Nah, like that implies despite having some flash to his skill, he's not really all that great in a straight-fight. As a result, one of the tricks that this guy's going to use in the fight is just a swarm of Lemures to surround, inconvenience the party at best and just make them burn through resources dealing with them en masse quicker. I could leave them as-is and they'd be about as threatening as flies but I'm intending on making them into 4e-style Minions (so 1HP, low AC, etc.) but I don't really know how many would be a good number to have.

For minor context, aside from the actual boss, he has a Pit Fiend add (slightly weaker than normal, more for the intimidation factor than anything else) and every other round will summon an Immolation Devil (max of 4 total). Party size is 6, 7 if you include an animal companion.

e; Most of the party (all but 1, really) have AoEs that'll deal with a small number immediately so that's an important factor to consider as well. If the entire swarm gets dealt with on the first person's first turn then that kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 30, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dragonatrix posted:

e; Most of the party (all but 1, really) have AoEs that'll deal with a small number immediately so that's an important factor to consider as well. If the entire swarm gets dealt with on the first person's first turn then that kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Waves of minions through a portal they have to destroy/disable?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

In 4e the math is 1 monster = 4 minions, but how that works in Pathfinder is undoubtedly different because Pathfinder hypothetically uses CR rating instead of an EXP budget.

I'd say go with a [player]*[2 to 4] regenerating minion pool and start with [4 to 6]*[player] base depending on how much combat versus gesturing you want the boss to be doing during each stage of the fight.

Then to balance mid encounter:

If it seems overwhelming, have the forces begin to lose confidence in this guy as he loses.

If it seems underwhelming, have him make a more desperate bargain for more dudes, maybe even throw some bigger demons in there.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
So, I would say that Contract Devils aren't scary because of how you fight them, they're scary because of how they outmanoeuvre you before the fight even starts. Think back through your party's encounters with him: at what point did he start putting contingency plans in place for when they try this, and what forms might these take?

In particular, who from the party's past 20 levels might he have tricked into a contract that they really, really don't want to be obligated to fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Because it's prohibitively expensive to average Joe Terror. And if you've got cash and the access to magic items you can do a whole lot worse.

Then again, this custom device would be a hilariously effective way to get rid of a dragon.

This seems like a problem that would solve itself. A small bag of holding weighs 15lbs, this arrow would land about two feet in front of whoever decided to fire it