Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Please tell me the first two Austin Powers movies hold up :ohdear:

I find myself remembering bits and pieces and cracking up :haw:

I have all three on DVD and rewatched them a while ago

The first is still good but Goldmember was just boring. The Spy Who Shagged Me is still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I watched Heavyweights again when it came on Netflix and I still thought a lot of the humor held up well and Ben Stiller was amazing.

I feel skinny, Tony!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I have all three on DVD and rewatched them a while ago

The first is still good but Goldmember was just boring. The Spy Who Shagged Me is still funny

I just saw "Goldfinger" a bit ago, and it was pretty elucidating.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Bones posted:

This was just the funniest poo poo EVER when I was a kid. I tried watching it recently and it's borderline unwatchable.

This part's still kinda cool though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_zUUE4BE0

:same:

quote:

Reviews were almost universally negative, mostly distaste at the blending of grimy gross-out gags and up-beat musical humor. Roger Ebert's review was certainly scathing, stating "Joe's Apartment would be a very bad comedy even without the roaches, but it would not be a disgusting one. No, wait: I take that back. Even without the roaches, we would still have the subplot involving the pink disinfectant urinal cakes."[4]

Still better than my little brother watching Phantom Menace on VHS over and over again

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stay Tuned with John Ritter and the principal from Ferris Bueler. Movie owns.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Yes, it does, but that wasn't the question. It's still not bad.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Jastiger posted:

Eye warship satin.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I never watched a bad movie as a kid.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Dark Crystal.

Loved it as a kid, had a picture book of it and everything including the VHS which was watched many a time. Even had a cat named Fizzgig back then. Saw it for the first time in about 30 years last year and found it to be long, boring, and dreadful.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

You Are A Elf posted:

The Dark Crystal.

Loved it as a kid, had a picture book of it and everything including the VHS which was watched many a time. Even had a cat named Fizzgig back then. Saw it for the first time in about 30 years last year and found it to be long, boring, and dreadful.

My dad and I loved that movie. I had a guinea pig I named Fizzgig.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

For me it was Druids. I loved the setting of ancient Gaul and there were tits in it. Then as an adult I got an urge to check it out and it turns out it's universally lambasted as a terrible film.

Well, I still cherish the memory of watching Druids.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Hudson Hawk was my favorite movie when I was like 10.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

client posted:

the tales from crypt movie with dennis miller but tbf it had a lot of boobs in it

This unearthed a hidden memory of watching Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight approximately a hundred times when he first came out on VHS. I don't really remember much about it aside from the fact that Billy Zane is in it.

If this content guide is anything to go by it sounds like it's probably still awesome:

Sex & Nudity
6/10
We see a topless woman in the tub.
We hear grunting and moaning as a couple has sex upstairs.
A cop finds a couple having sex with the woman on top (no nudity seen).
There is a scene with a group of female strippers - all topless and bare breasted.
A woman is seen in a shirt and a pair of panties.

Violence & Gore
9/10
A man is seen in a tub of acid and most of his skin is burned off.
A car crashes into another car and there is a huge explosion.
A man holds a knife to a woman's throat.
A demon's head is sliced off with a machete. Since the body is still alive, a boy picks up the head and sticks the eyes into some antlers.
A man punches a cop through the mouth and his fist goes entirely through his head. His hand gets caught and he pulls the cop's head off.
A man cuts his hand and some green blood comes out that falls on the ground and turns into demons. The demons are shot and stabbed. We see green blood comes out of their bodies.
A bloody demon grabs a man's face. She rips a woman's arm off. The demon is shot in the back of the head and her eyeballs crawl away.
A man runs down a flight of stairs but before he manages to escape, the collector shouts to him that he lied and the man is torn apart by demons. Blood is seen spurting from the wounds as he screams.
Blood drips down from behind a sheet. Behind it, we see a man's chest being torn apart by demons.
A woman straps some grenades to her and blows herself and a cop up to stop some demons.
A boy turns into a demon and claws a man's chest. He blows up when he is kicked out a window.
A woman spits blood onto a demon which melts away his face and causes his body to burst into flames (he turns into a giant winged demon before he blows up).

A supposedly dead man emerges from an acid bath and makes his way up the stairs to murder a woman while she is in the bath, this is a particularly gruesome scene, particularly one part where his fingers detach from his hand and stick to the banister. This may give young children nightmares.

Profanity
6/10

'gently caress' said several times, other profanities include 'poo poo, goddamn, drat, bitch, pussy (pun on cat), rear end in a top hat'.
A woman mentions giving a man the finger.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
5/10

A woman drinks some vodka.
A man drinks some alcohol several times including in a bar.

Frightening/Intense Scenes
7/10

Several scenes where something jumps out to scare someone (demons, a cat).
The protagonists find a rather large collection of guns in the home of a recently fired postal worker, possibly meaning that he was planning to attack the post office.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

You Are A Elf posted:

The Dark Crystal.

That movie is so depressing, I'm glad I didn't watch it as a kid.

But for me it was Tron. I loved it, still do, but apparently everyone thinks it's poo poo? Come on guys, look at the Moebius design, how can you hate it? Who cares about story, have you never read Heavy Metal?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I.C. posted:

Yes, it does, but that wasn't the question. It's still not bad.

I disagree, I honestly think that somebody who'd never heard of Stay Tuned watched it now they wouldn't appreciate it.

But I loving loved that movie as a kid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Me and my friends used to watch The One with Jet Li alot. I'm pretty sure that's a pretty bad film. Might still be somewhat enjoyable though.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Class Warcraft posted:

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight

Film still owns. Real solid horror/comedy/action siege movie and yeah, Billy Zane is fantastic in it. Plus it has the best line committed to celluloid.

Demon Knight - A Good Film posted:

You know this "Hell on Earth" business? Big loving deal - I've got hemmorhoids.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

When you're a kid you can't process why it sucks, so I'm pretty sure every kid just assumed that it was actually good and they just didn't quite get it, and forced themselves to like it.

I remember liking it a lot when I saw it as a kid, now I can only really enjoy duel of the fates. Darth Maul was seriously wasted as a character, and imo is more threatening than any other SW villain.

You Are A Elf posted:

The Dark Crystal.

I know a lot of people who still love this loving movie to death, as well as labyrinth, but they keep bringing it up in the same way people today do JoJo references.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Crystal is really loving boring and I didn't realize this until like 4 days ago

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

I remember liking it a lot when I saw it as a kid, now I can only really enjoy duel of the fates. Darth Maul was seriously wasted as a character, and imo is more threatening than any other SW villain.

I remember there being huge hype around Aurra Sing the bounty hunter almost more so than darth maul and then they pretty much entirely cut her out of the movie. Kind of like the big chick from the new star wars from game of thrones was supposed to be a badass but she just gets her rear end kicked the whole time

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Dr. Giggles used to scare the poo poo out of me as a kid. I always thought the kills in it were gory, but rewatching it recently they, and everything else in the movie, are just goofy as hell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. It is so terrible. Kevin Costner is horrible, and it's a huge indictment of the state of 90's cinema that he was the top leading man for a while.
Alan Rickman is just a fantastic guy though, guy just steals every scene.

Someone on AV Club wrote an article about rewatching it as an adult. Hadn't even remembered the rape scene, eww. How did my incredibly prudish parents let me watch this?!
http://www.avclub.com/article/23-years-after-its-release-robin-hood-prince-thiev-209716

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

canyoneer posted:

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. It is so terrible. Kevin Costner is horrible, and it's a huge indictment of the state of 90's cinema that he was the top leading man for a while.
Alan Rickman is just a fantastic guy though, guy just steals every scene.

Someone on AV Club wrote an article about rewatching it as an adult. Hadn't even remembered the rape scene, eww. How did my incredibly prudish parents let me watch this?!
http://www.avclub.com/article/23-years-after-its-release-robin-hood-prince-thiev-209716

man how can you not like the first FPS arrow camera flight.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Yes, it still is Shawn Penn's best role and has a few absolutely classic moments but overall it did not age well.

E: OK it's not bad like some of the absolute garbage in the thread, but it's not the amazing film it felt like when it came out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Oh poo poo now I remember Problem Child 1 and 2. Even as a kid I knew these were hot garbage but I like them cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aLQJ05tJI

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Please tell me the first two Austin Powers movies hold up :ohdear:

I find myself remembering bits and pieces and cracking up :haw:

There are still some good jokes in the first two movies but both also have several jokes that greatly overstay their welcome.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone remember Condorman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5LZmx9Vrg

6 year old me thought this was incredible.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Deep Throat

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Don't sign your newspaper leaks

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Was just thinking about this today. When I was a kid I watched Small Soldiers on cassette at least 3 times and enjoyed it a lot!

Haven't seen it since then, but I bet in retrospect it's terrible.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just saw Master of Disguise for the first time. That was a big mistake

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I bet Son of the Mask still holds up...

...THE TOILET!!!!!

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
You guys remember Martin Short in Clifford?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_(film)

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Sten Freak posted:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

:getout:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Titan A.E. would be a totally rad movie but for one reason:

the soundtrack is atrociously, abominably, obnoxiously terrible

holy gently caress is it bad. A mix of totally out of place utterly forgettable techno drums/n bass crap that would suck apart from a movie

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The original pirates of the Caribbean is still pretty good. I just saw the newest one, it's garbage. All of them except the first suck, but I can still go re-watch it like once a year an enjoy it.

I went through a phase the summer after 7th grade where a friend came over every single day for like a month and we would watch the whole thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Titan A.E. would be a totally rad movie but for one reason:

the soundtrack is atrociously, abominably, obnoxiously terrible

holy gently caress is it bad. A mix of totally out of place utterly forgettable techno drums/n bass crap that would suck apart from a movie
Apparently it went through a crazy amount of rewrites, which is why it feels super disjointed and "wuh?" half the time. Plus y'know it was 2000 the corporate music scene for young guys was really really really bad.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
The Lost World: Jurassic Park

As a kid I found it more strange but watching it again the other day it's a cynical, ugly-looking slog of a movie that has no love for either the characters or the dinosaurs.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Not An Irish Monk posted:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

As a kid I found it more strange but watching it again the other day it's a cynical, ugly-looking slog of a movie that has no love for either the characters or the dinosaurs.

Lost World was the last good Park movie, because it was the last one that was based on a Crichton book, and he also helped with the screenplay. that's why they all sucked after that.

The Lost World (novel) is also really good and a fun read.

edit both the Conan Doyle one and the Crichton one

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anybody who said Dogma or Starship Troopers is wrong.

• Locked thread