Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Regarding mementos, the pollen warning days can be abused to hilarious effect to make the whole game trivial. Though I suppose that'd be bad for a LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I understood Phan--Site more as whatever is the easiest bulletin forum. Think proboards.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I also like how Mishima sees people doxx others on his phan-site and is all like "hell yeah this is great"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

I can’t wait for the inevitable political discussion that will arise from this update,

Well personally, I

Arist posted:

by which I mean don’t you loving dare start that poo poo in this thread.

:smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Persona 4chan

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
This isn't about politics, but it is... parenthetical to it. I've always found it super dumb that people in that crowd give Yoshida poo poo for trying to talk about principles by saying he should shut up about that until he gets elected and is in a position to do something. How is he supposed to get elected if he doesn't talk about that stuff? Crowd people are morons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Montegoraon posted:

This isn't about politics, but it is... parenthetical to it. I've always found it super dumb that people in that crowd give Yoshida poo poo for trying to talk about principles by saying he should shut up about that until he gets elected and is in a position to do something. How is he supposed to get elected if he doesn't talk about that stuff? Crowd people are morons.

I kinda suspect that might be the point given the general themes of how the status quo loving sucks.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
"I like their message but they're a fringe candidate who'll never get elected" is a pretty common thing to hear anywhere people vote. They should get to know him better. The Politician you Could Share A Beef Bowl With.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Really glad to see this thread as I'm currently playing through Persona 5 as well. Count me in as part of the crew that went to Mementos and killed a day, since everything else is so time-sensitive and you're not really told that the Mementos sections are different that way. Of course, the current sections are kind of important...

Knowing nothing beyond the whole "Phantom Thieves" angle I named my character Henri Lupin, which has turned the entire game into a series of accidentally hilarious references. Having the first persona be Arsene was a particular delight.

Pretty sure that I'm following the same guide as Arist, but I've already hopelessly muffed it up and I'm probably going to be doing a full New Game+.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Drakenel posted:

Regarding mementos, the pollen warning days can be abused to hilarious effect to make the whole game trivial. Though I suppose that'd be bad for a LP.

Not the season you're thinking of, actually.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wait, is the ruling party in this game called the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party? That's quite the thing. Is "co-prosperity" an actual acceptable term in Japan or is it always meant to evoke the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Toranosuke is great. His speeches are great; he's a great guy.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

I am fairly sure it's very subtle jab at politics, namely Liberal Democratic Party that's been mainstay of Diet for the last 60 years. Talking about P5's politics in general requires knowledge of their landscape.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Drakenel posted:

The season you're thinking of doesn't happen till near end-game. And even then, it's only five days it's even applicable. Though Pollen is a decent thing, it's not THE thing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I've never had the chance to play this (not having a PS4), so this is pretty helpful to see. I'm just really bad at checking the new LP thread.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is that the guy who Maaku assaulted in the beginning seemed to have been a politician, and a pretty high-up one at that from his comments about "keeping the country running" and "owning the police". Definitely would fit in with the running theme of "rebellion against abuses of power" that we've sort of seen going on. Probably his 'pride' that I'd expect to see as one of the late-game dungeons, assuming we're going to keep with the 'Seven Deadly Sins' theme Kamoshida started.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, the people who knew about Kamoshida letting things happen but not doing anything about it fits Sloth/Indolence pretty well.

I wonder if the guy Maaku is taking up public speaking lessons from will replace him later in the game after he's inevitably beaten.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kemix posted:

The season you're thinking of doesn't happen till near end-game. And even then, it's only five days it's even applicable. Though Pollen is a decent thing, it's not THE thing.

Nnnno? It happens early game too. Like, right here at the point at the LP. I don't think we're on the same page.

Which may not matter, since detailing would be very very minor spoilers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

Nnnno? It happens early game too. Like, right here at the point at the LP. I don't think we're on the same page.

Which may not matter, since detailing would be very very minor spoilers.

Would you mind expanding upon this in either of the game threads?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 26: 5/10-5/14: I Have To Take A Test In My Video Game?

Music: Beneath the Mask

I get it, my life sucks, get off my case.

The high school where he worked and the board of education have been inundated with protests. Even in town and on the internet, many parents can be seen speaking out about their anger and unease.
They’re talking about Kamoshida again. Sounds like a lot of people have been complaining about him.

Let’s go talk to Yoshida again.

Hey, about Yoshida’s speech skills… We should make use of them when you negotiate with Shadows.

Right? You should ask him.
...Teach you how to give speeches? Why?

I’d love to help you, though… how shall I teach you? ...It’s time for my speech. Let’s talk about this later.

They lack jobs, security, savings… The next generation will lead us into the future and yet they have no plan for how to arrive there.

Music: Suspicion

This isn’t good...

Yes, let’s.

What is the point of bickering over such a trivial matter?
This is none of your business!
Yeah, seriously. Just shut up!
What’s with this guy…?

The two men walk away.

Together, we can create a bright future for the next generation.

As if anyone would actually vote for YOU! Are you planning to embezzle funds again? Or maybe criticize one of your constituents again? You criminal!

Wait, what?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I can’t do that in my situation. Regardless, whenever someone calls me “No-Good Tora,” I panic. I went through quite an ordeal 20 years ago.

...Let me explain. I used to be a member of the National Diet. I was elected during the rise of the “Kuramoto Children.” We were backed by powerful Diet members. This was about 20 years ago.

If you’re wondering what the “Kuramoto Children” are, the game seems to have made them up entirely.

I was very inexperienced back then, both as a politician, as well as a human being. That inexperience led me to be involved in a series of major political scandals.

The first was being caught missing a legistlative meeting to take a personal vacation. Then, I was accused of embezzling a large sum of money from the party… giving me two strikes.

I don’t know, I feel like “You likely stole a fuckload of money” should probably count for two at the very least.

Finally, I called a voter an idiot at an open forum, which resulted in scandal… and strike three.

Yeah, one of those seems way worse than the others, just saying.

I was out… and branded a washed-up politician. You said you wanted to become a member of the Diet. But do you see the man before you?

However, he has conviction and wants to change the world. Public speaking skills could be useful to the Phantom Thieves, so I’ll make a deal with him.
Do you really want to receive my guidance?

I’m happy to hear that, however… Everyone says I have no chance to get elected, so why come to me?

*chuckle* You’re doing a good job of cheering me up… ...But you may be right. The most important part about giving a good speech is believing in yourself. Perhaps one day, I will believe in myself… again. But you sure got me there. You’re a strange young man, Hamiru-kun. Very well. If learning how to give a great speech is what you seek, then I’d be happy to instruct you. In exchange, I would like for you to continue assisting me. Let’s get started, shall we?
I’ve made a deal with Yoshida...

Music: Interrogation Room

An adult—for example, someone talented enough to move people with words—perhaps they coached you. ...Isn’t that right!?

It’s kind of hard to parse what Sae is actually asking here. So… what? You think because we used calling cards that we had a coach? And not only that, they were skilled at using words? What? The two halves of this interrogation sequence have pretty much nothing to do with each other. I get what she’s saying, that we needed someone skilled with words to help us write the calling cards, but that’s not actually how it ends up working in the reality of the game, which adds to the confusion of the weird phrasing.

The Sun represents victory, positivity, and vitality, but also when reversed the very opposite, foreboding depression and failure.

Sun is, well... Sun is my favorite Confidant in this game. Hierophant’s close, but I think this one ultimately beats it. Tora owns and I won’t hear any bad talk about him. He’s the best.

Diet? What? Oh, yeah, sure, whatever.

...Oh my, we’ve been talking for far too long. Let’s call it quits for today. Well then, I shall see you again soon.

Anon: Thieves should be arrested!
Anon: Isn’t it just a prank?

Anon: It’s possible

Shoot, I haven’t studied at all…

I hear you, disembodied voice.

Have you heard what’s happened since then?
This sucks… I pulled an all-nighter last night.
Really? Did you get caught?

Music: Life Goes On

Oh boy, time for exams. Like in previous Persona games, we get no free time after school or in the evenings after exams. The clock will automatically jump forward to the next day. It sucks, hard.

That sounds about right.

I bet Ann can hear Morgana telling us the answers and is super pissed at us.

This looks tough, but let’s calm down and think it through.

If how they’re seeing things is different, it probably has to do with this kind of information...

Right. How you see something is visual information. What takes the visual information from your eyes and processes it is the, uh...

Right. The brain process visual information. So, the reason people see things differently is...

“How the brain interprets the same visual data—how one perceives the world—differs from person to person” Ooh, this sounds pretty good! You finished in time!
Time is up. Put down your pencils and put your hands under your desks.

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Anon: thief! give it back! lol

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I ended up pullin’ an all-nighter once I realized today’s the last day of exams.
You? Staying up studying?
Nah, I gave up on the exam. I was playin’ some games, then before I knew it, it was morning.

Eh, it’ll be fine. Nobody’s expectin’ anything of me, so I don’t gotta worry about grades.

How lackadaisical.

Yo, look who else is yawnin’.
Exams are almost over, so I thought I’d make one last effort over the finish line.
Impressive, Lady Ann. You’re quite different from this stupid monkey I know.
Huh? Don’t gimme that crap. Your brain’s tiny compared to mine.
Size is meaningless if there’s nothing inside, you know.

Ugh, will you please shut up!? You’re gonna make me forget everything I memo--

What, you see a groper or something?
No, that’s not it. It’s… nothing.

Suspicious Person

As she gets off the train, Ann looks over her shoulder nervously.

Someone follows behind.

Isn’t this bad?

Ryuji stretches while yawning.

Fine...

Huh…?

Music: Suspicous Person

……?

Is there something you want?

Stalking you…? That’s outrageous.

That’s because...

So this is where your passion led. All is well that ends well.

Seems like this is all some kind of wacky misunderstanding!

But, uh, if this dude who’s been not-stalking Ann got out of this car and then boarded a subway, how did the guy in the car find him again?

...Let’s not think about it.

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 28, 2018

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Okay, so two things, one, it's kinda funny that all the questions are the things that we already got asked about in class (but I guess that makes it fair to the player) two, what the hell just happend? Did we already know something about Anne saying she got stalked or is this a thing that just happend just now? With like, no apparent context.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

all the questions are the things that we already got asked about in class
...how do you think tests work?

Stephen9001 posted:

With like, no apparent context.
Once or twice beforehand, she's noticed something weird and then dismissed it as nothing. This time it was just more obvious.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It probably feels weird because ya don't have a really long period of time between them?

In any case, tora is one of my favorite social links too so I'm looking forward to seeing its conclusion this time, since my brother never managed to finish it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Just popping in to say that if you haven't been clicking on the music links, you should definitely make an exception for this one and give it a listen. Life Goes On is a super chill piece of music and it's a drat shame that you only get to hear it during exams.

Also, add me to list of people who loved So-Good Tora's confidant side story. I think he was one of the first ones I actually maxed out on my run.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tora is rad.

The stalker is awful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I missed Tora's S-Link when I played for the first time, so I'm super hype to see this one I've heard so much about.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PMush Perfect posted:

I missed Tora's S-Link when I played for the first time, so I'm super hype to see this one I've heard so much about.

It, much like the Mishima Confidant, unlocks a LOT of good stuff. It's worth going through it just for the benefits.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aw yeah, my favorite characters are entering the stage. :allears:

One nice thing about So-Good Tora's link is that it doesn't matter what answers you give; it ranks up every time no matter what. It's nice to have the alternate dialogue options there for flavor rather than tripping you up. (Mishima's link does this too, presumably because having to do mementos requests and get a certain number of rank-up points would have been a bit much)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

...how do you think tests work?

Stuff we've gone over in class onscreen. Don't get me wrong, I think this is good, it's just that I wouldn't have been surprised if you wouldn't have been able to get good grades on the exams unless you actively studied, rather than just memorising mandatory stuff. There are games that work like that after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Your rank in exams derives from # of correct answers, plus your Knowledge stat. The game won't give you too much grief if you answer all the questions correctly, but without your knowledge at a certain rank you won't get any extra bonuses either.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm going to be more excited for confidant stuff than the main story for a long while, and I have a feeling I won't be alone on that.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

My take on Sae's ridiculous accusation there was that, basically, she thinks the calling cards had style, so she honestly believes you had, like, someone teaching you how to write good speeches, which is frankly a little daffy, because it was Ryuji that wrote that first calling card. Ryuji.

Of course, it could just be that Sae and Ryuji have similar aesthetics, and now I can't stop picturing her conducting the interrogation in one of Ryuji's ridiculous t-shirts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ann sure has bad luck with guys taking interest in her.

At least this one seems to look more like a potential party member/Confidant than Kamoshida did.

Arist posted:

They lack jobs, security, savings… The next generation will lead us into the future and yet they have no plan for how to arrive there.

Relatable words.

Despite his past, he seems like a pretty cool guy. How on Earth did he manage to keep his position after being caught stealing money, though?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Despite his past, he seems like a pretty cool guy. How on Earth did he manage to keep his position after being caught stealing money, though?

It says "accused" so it might have just been a dumb media scandal without any actual substance behind it. I'd be interested to know how good the translation is here as something like "misappropriation" would give more of an implication of being sleazy / underhanded / immoral rather than straight up illegal.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Adding to that, he may have gotten off with the lesson of "never do that again or you're dead" on public shame.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Tora is awesome.

Best confidant.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yoshida probably either stepped down from his position after the scandal and then later got a new job in politics by slowly working up the ranks, or he got the "exiled to Antarctica" treatment and has been in some extremely low-level political post and is now taking a chance to regain his former glory.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tora is easily one of the top two or three confidants in the game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur posted:

Your rank in exams derives from # of correct answers, plus your Knowledge stat. The game won't give you too much grief if you answer all the questions correctly, but without your knowledge at a certain rank you won't get any extra bonuses either.

Well, we probably didn't fail. Maybe.

That being said, I think Rank 4 and 5 in knowledge gets you the good stuff... if you actually need the 'good stuff' by that point.

About the requests in mementos, I actually did Mishima's first one early enough, on a day no confidant was around to hang out with me. It takes a while to accumulate that huge list of requests and since Mishima is the website guy, he gives you a new request pretty soon.

And then I put him on the back burner till I had a basically huge list of requests. Basically put him off till I unlocked a mementos request I really wanted to do.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

New confidant, new historical figure they're named after (yes, they're all named after historical figures).

Shoin Yoshida (born Toranosuke Sugi) was a samurai and an influential political and military scholar in the days leading to the Meiji Restoration. So many of these people are connected in some way to Meiji because it is, after all, probably the most important example of rebellion against the status quo in Japan's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
In the past, Yoshida was a member of the Diet. He hasn't won an election in 20 years. In the meantime, he must've had some other job, though no idea what it was.