Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Zuul the Cat posted:

wiped poo poo on his face and prayed to a poop god.

I also want someone to paint an entire army of beautiful Ultramarines... and then paint poop smears on their faces and have them be Counts-as Plague Marines.

My favorite part of the new stuff is the spergs complaining that "THERE IS NO WAY SPACE MARINES CAN BE IMPROVED BY SOME MORTAL GUY." Can't they recognize how stale everything had become? I want Space Marines to be scary motherfuckers.

In the old dogma there was no room for anything new. The Reboot Gulliman move lets them do all kinds of neat poo poo.

Where my heavy weapon Primaris guys at? I refuse to have any scrunts in my army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We did an entire episode of Combined Arms Podcast on 8th edition with special guest Carl Tuttle - check it out!

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/combinedarms/episodes/2017-06-29T12_41_27-07_00

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Does Carl still post here?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, I think the tactics, specifically terror, are out of step with the traditional route of the Imperium mostly, but the aesthetics aren't - which i think is a big deal for people. I honestly think it's just cause they're blue and have skull masks . But skulls are certainly not an aesthetic value attributed solely to the Night Lords.

It would be cool to see people questioning Bobby G's tactics, but I don't think there's any one particular type of combat doctrine that would make the Imperium shrug. We're talking about an oppressive entity that wipes out whole worlds at a time cause some dude wiped blood on his face and prayed to a blood god, or wiped poo poo on his face and prayed to a poop god.

I think the skulls look kind of dumb on Ultramarine Blue, but full disclosure I honestly think chaplains in that scheme look dumb too.

I think part of that is the big, bright blue that the studio uses? Googling some Ultrachaplains gives cool results, and I think more subdued armor like on the Librarian could bring the mask out a bit better.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think he's posted here since he blew up at the people talked about how FW deserved ridicule despite Alan Bligh's declining health.

In Nova Open news, GW is hosting a preview seminar on the Wednesday before the con! They've put free tickets up, grab them if you're coming!

https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventContainer/15

Duncan's also doing a number of painting seminars. They probably won't be very advanced, but I'll probably try to go to one or two to make the four people who play 40k in my county jealous.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 29, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I have two sets of Primaris Marines from Dark Imperium, but realistically I won't get them started until August. I am going to knuckle down and work on my previous backlog. I am going to start July strong by painting a Land Raider Command Tank.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think he's posted here since he blew up at the people talked about how FW deserved ridicule despite Alan Bligh's declining health.

Those sons of bitches.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Carl come back :smith:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I also want someone to paint an entire army of beautiful Ultramarines... and then paint poop smears on their faces and have them be Counts-as Plague Marines.

My favorite part of the new stuff is the spergs complaining that "THERE IS NO WAY SPACE MARINES CAN BE IMPROVED BY SOME MORTAL GUY." Can't they recognize how stale everything had become? I want Space Marines to be scary motherfuckers.

In the old dogma there was no room for anything new. The Reboot Gulliman move lets them do all kinds of neat poo poo.

Where my heavy weapon Primaris guys at? I refuse to have any scrunts in my army.

That would be an awesome Ultramarines army. Yeah, the arguments against Cawl are dumb too. People being infuriated over him "out-inventing the Emperor". He didn't. It says in the fluff he just tinkered with existing technology and marginally improved poo poo. Not by much either, I think in the BRB it mentions the new weapons are 5-10% more effective.

The Bee posted:

I think the skulls look kind of dumb on Ultramarine Blue, but full disclosure I honestly think chaplains in that scheme look dumb too.

I think part of that is the big, bright blue that the studio uses? Googling some Ultrachaplains gives cool results, and I think more subdued armor like on the Librarian could bring the mask out a bit better.

I agree. I get why people didn't immediately like them. For mine, i'm going to just paint them in their Khymara Night World scheme. Black armor, quartered shoulder pads, white skull faces.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

This is why I think maybe just doing two Space Marine codices, one for codex-compliant chapters and one for non, would be for the best. "Okay, here's the special rules and unique units for the Space Wolves et al, the Blood Angels and descendants, the Dark Angels and descendants, the Black Templars, and the Legion of the Damned."

They're not the only chapter that's effectively still a Legion. The Dark Angels are, too, with all their successors, as are the Blood Angels. The Imperial Fists in the books have a special protocol to recall absolutely every Fist successor and reassemble them temporarily into one unified legion (including the Black Templars), and the Ultramarine successors are noted in at least one book to be so uniform in doctrine and practice that aside from a few weirdo successors the Ultrasmurfs and their successors effectively are still a Legion as well.

Funnily enough, it's only the Scars and the Istvaan chapters that don't act like they're still a legion.

What I find interesting is that Guilleman thinks the reason the heresy happened is because there were so many divergent and solitary legions going around hiding stuff from each other so he makes a Primaris chapter/legion, forgetting that he wrote the Codex Astartes telling people not to do that.

But then I'd rather the whole Chapter idea got removed and we all just had massive legions with sub-chapters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im wondering if guilloman rewriting the dumb parts of the codex will come up. He has to be able to see where its not working.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Carl come back :smith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ork Warboss on BIke w/ Power Klaw
W7, 4A, 14" Move
4 S12 attacks hitting on 3+, -3 AP, d3 damage plus 2 attacks at S4, -1 AP, 1 damage

111 Points

Zhadsnark da Ripper
W8, 5A, 15" Move
5 S12 attacks hitting on 2+, -4 AP, d3 damage
Automatically Advances 6"

110 Points

Good job Forgeworld.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm gonna wear my stink face whenever anyone asks if they can bring FW poo poo.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
BRB changing all my tanks to Conquerors

e: 162 points vs 143 points for a half-range battle cannon that rerolls to hit if you shoot it at the same target you fired the co-ax storm bolter at

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I got an ancient metal chaplain on ebay and I am sad to report he only has 9 skulls.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ork Warboss on BIke w/ Power Klaw
W7, 4A, 14" Move
4 S12 attacks hitting on 3+, -3 AP, d3 damage plus 2 attacks at S4, -1 AP, 1 damage

111 Points

Zhadsnark da Ripper
W8, 5A, 15" Move
5 S12 attacks hitting on 2+, -4 AP, d3 damage
Automatically Advances 6"

110 Points

Good job Forgeworld.

This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff they messed up.

Point costs are very similar, Zhadsnark misses out on an attack squig so actually nets one less attack, and Zhadsnark doesn't have the option of taking something like a Kombi-skorcha.

Main discrepancy is in the wound difference.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zuul the Cat posted:

That would be an awesome Ultramarines army. Yeah, the arguments against Cawl are dumb too. People being infuriated over him "out-inventing the Emperor". He didn't. It says in the fluff he just tinkered with existing technology and marginally improved poo poo. Not by much either, I think in the BRB it mentions the new weapons are 5-10% more effective.

Yeah, he's really just futzing around with the tech Corax and The Emperor created, just without the Alpha Legion tampering.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff they messed up.

Point costs are very similar, Zhadsnark misses out on an attack squig so actually nets one less attack, and Zhadsnark doesn't have the option of taking something like a Kombi-skorcha.

Main discrepancy is in the wound difference.

Zhadsnark gets 5 attacks that hit on a 2+ with a better AP. So on average he's doing 4.2 hits while the Warboss (who, again, costs more) is only doing 2.7. And then Zhadsnark does more against armor. I haven't read the rest to see what's worse, but it's still pretty bad.

Also the Big Mek in the list includes the rules for a KFF but doesn't actually have one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Kingfish posted:

I'm gonna wear my stink face whenever anyone asks if they can bring FW poo poo.

OTOH if it's a tournament I abso-loving-lutely will be taking the better biker warboss.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Started working on some Primaris, and took some inspiration from the guy earlier who chopped the hood off his Inceptors for my Gravis Captain:

The helmet isn't final, I've not decided which one I'll use yet, but I think it's a definite improvement.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm usually against the idea of banning things from tournaments. The game is what it is and players should just adapt.

But man... these FW rules are so bad that I think tournaments would benefit greatly from not having them. FW has always had bad rules, but they really had an opportunity to improve. Instead, we got books that were obviously thrown together without testing and feel like they didn't compare them to core rules at all.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Carl come home :smith:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, he's really just futzing around with the tech Corax and The Emperor created, just without the Alpha Legion tampering.

No tampering that we're aware of at this early stage, at least.

Master Twig posted:

I'm usually against the idea of banning things from tournaments. The game is what it is and players should just adapt.

But man... these FW rules are so bad that I think tournaments would benefit greatly from not having them. FW has always had bad rules, but they really had an opportunity to improve. Instead, we got books that were obviously thrown together without testing and feel like they didn't compare them to core rules at all.

The only Forgeworld unit I have is a plain Sicaran and while it has some of the more balanced rules I honestly don't intend to play with it much until FW gets their poo poo together. Playing with anything from them at all right now feels like it's opening the doors to a game with huge balance issues.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 30, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, I'm taking 2 lists to the game store Sunday to scrounge some games up. 1 with forgeworld and 1 without. Haven't played 40k at that store before so dunno how they feel about forgeworld.

The list is a chaplain, techmarine, scout squad, 2 tac squads, contemptor, stormraven, terminators, and 2 predators. For the FW version it's got vaylund cal, 3 tarantulas, and one predator is the forgeworld plasma variety. For the non-forgeworld, there's 3 predators, a captain, and a rhino instead.

If my friend brings his tyranids I might take something else. Because to be honest a stormraven isn't really fair against his kind of army I think, unless it's hovering the only stuff that can hit it is termagant shooting or his flying tyrant, unless he takes his giant mob of warriors with venom cannons. Might replace it with my guard stuff, or just always hover with it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Zhadsnark gets 5 attacks that hit on a 2+ with a better AP. So on average he's doing 4.2 hits while the Warboss (who, again, costs more) is only doing 2.7. And then Zhadsnark does more against armor. I haven't read the rest to see what's worse, but it's still pretty bad.

Also the Big Mek in the list includes the rules for a KFF but doesn't actually have one.

Your forgetting the two squig attacks. On average 1.6 will hit. Granted they don't wound as easily.

The ability to take something from the Shooty list shouldn't be discounted. You can fire both the Kombi-Skorcha and the dakkaguns. It actually gets funny with a big Mek on a warbike. Since you can take two Kombi-Skorchas and fire everything.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, I'm taking 2 lists to the game store Sunday to scrounge some games up. 1 with forgeworld and 1 without. Haven't played 40k at that store before so dunno how they feel about forgeworld.

The list is a chaplain, techmarine, scout squad, 2 tac squads, contemptor, stormraven, terminators, and 2 predators. For the FW version it's got vaylund cal, 3 tarantulas, and one predator is the forgeworld plasma variety. For the non-forgeworld, there's 3 predators, a captain, and a rhino instead.

If my friend brings his tyranids I might take something else. Because to be honest a stormraven isn't really fair against his kind of army I think, unless it's hovering the only stuff that can hit it is termagant shooting or his flying tyrant, unless he takes his giant mob of warriors with venom cannons. Might replace it with my guard stuff, or just always hover with it.

Tyranids can do alright against stuff like stormravens. Obviously a hive tyrant can assault them and do decent damage, but an exocrine is also pretty good at putting a lot of wounds on them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Your forgetting the two squig attacks. On average 1.6 will hit. Granted they don't wound as easily.

The ability to take something from the Shooty list shouldn't be discounted. You can fire both the Kombi-Skorcha and the dakkaguns. It actually gets funny with a big Mek on a warbike. Since you can take two Kombi-Skorchas and fire everything.

Yes, on average 1.6 will hit. So you're getting a net of 4.3 hits. For the same amount of points. It's an obvious error and they should address it.

And while I agree that you can do some crazy things with shooting, you also have to pay for that. Two kombi-skorchas is 38 points, and while that's a lot of damage that the model can do it's also (IMO) a lot of points.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Master Twig posted:

Tyranids can do alright against stuff like stormravens. Obviously a hive tyrant can assault them and do decent damage, but an exocrine is also pretty good at putting a lot of wounds on them.

Yeah I told him he needs to get an exocrine.

His collection is 3rd and 4th edition. He's got old one eye, a bunch of carnifexes, 2 hive tyrants, some biovores, 6 zoanthropes, I think some lictors or raveners or something, about 20 warriors, 60 genestealers, 3 broodlords, and around 120-150 gaunts and gants of various configurations. Only new thing he has is a trygon prime. It's a hard army to deal with if you can't handle swarms, but he doesn't have the tools to deal with big fliers, other than fitting flyrants for melee and going for it.

I've told him to consider an exocrine, venomthropes, tyrant guard, and maybe some of the other big flyers. He might get a tervigon too.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lets say I'm thinking about making Bad Life Decisions and getting into 40k.

About how much would it cost, and how much time would it take, to buy and paint a small, 500 pt Ad Mech army?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

chutche2 posted:

It is well known that anyone who uses ForgeWorld models is a degenerate madman.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is well known that anyone who uses ForgeWorld models is a degenerate madman.

Can confirm. Plan on building Ork Biker Warboss. Am madman.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dexefiend posted:

Plus, of all the people to call mortal, Cawl is probably the least mortal guy in the Imperium right now. He's basically a machine with a human brain, and has been alive for MILLENNIA.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Xae posted:

About how much would it cost, and how much time would it take, to buy and paint a small, 500 pt Ad Mech army?

Welcome to the asylum!

Getting started is pretty easy. The best way to do it is with the starter kit, seen here (you can get it cheaper elsewhere):
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Skitarii-Starter-Collection-ENG-2017

They look "sold out" right now (which makes no sense because both bundled products are in stock but w/e), but basically it's a Skitarii start collecting box ($85) + the Imperium 2 Index ($25). I don't know if that gets you to 500 points with the current rules, but I suspect you'll be close or a single squad away.

Assuming you buy the book and don't just pirate it, if you get these guys from places offering discounted rates, you can get in for less than $135 after you add on another squad to get to 500.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 30, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can confirm. Plan on building Ork Biker Warboss. Am madman.

That way you can have one model that can be the best unit from either codex...

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Xae posted:

Have you ever built or painted a model before? If the answer is no I would suggest buying one of those kits they have that have the paint included with a model. If you don't like building and painting models and don't want to spend $100s of dollars on a pre painted army i would suggest you don't play Warhammer 40k proper, there a dozens of cheaper and better balanced games, 40ks biggest advantages are in its hobby side. If the you just absolutely love the 40k world check out the skirmish games.

If you have painted models before and enjoyed it follow the above advice. The amount of time it takes to paint 500 points can vary a lot and is somewhat up to you. If you just want simple table top standard you can likely get it done in 25 hours.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Can restricted chapters like BA and SW take FW <CHAPTER> stuff? I.e., can blood angels take Lucius drop pods?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can restricted chapters like BA and SW take FW <CHAPTER> stuff? I.e., can blood angels take Lucius drop pods?

They can only take things that are written in their army list entry. You can have other stuff in your army but it won't have the blood angels keyword.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Okay, so I'm coming back in for some Dark Eldar funtimes. I bought an Archon because I need an HQ that makes any kind of sense. But I'm still waiting for a copy of my codex. What can and should I actually equip him and build him out with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

They can only take things that are written in their army list entry. You can have other stuff in your army but it won't have the blood angels keyword.

This does appear to have been an oversight by FW since the relics were usuable in 7th. A Blood Angels player on B&C emailed in asking if we could take the relics and was answered in the affirmative. Of course we all know how reliable this is but really anyone that tries to argue against it is probably not worth playing with.