Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
nothing horrible about izetta, but definitely dull in a lot of the wartime drama/action where it could've been exciting which is a complaint i've heard about some of the writer's popular works. it was worth the watch for me because I went in expecting girls expressing their love for each other while riding an anti-tank rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

it was worth the watch for me because I went in expecting girls expressing their love for each other while riding an anti-tank rifle

:same:

Though I was disappointed that there was less of that than there was of pretty rote and boring political thriller stuff. The show spent a lot of time focusing on scheming and politics and trying to have the main characters when the war on their own, when for my money it could have been a lot more satisfying if it had just been about the main characters trying to hold the line against the Not-zis' sheer numbers until the allies won the war on other fronts. A good writer could get a lot of mileage out of just focusing on character interactions under the mounting stress and fear of a months-long siege, especially with a good romance at the center.

Ah well. Least the fanart was good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

Still baffled by what was so horrible about izetta.
It was mostly OK, but hella dull at points. Saori Hayami as Princess Fine (and Himika Akaneya in what was probably her debut lead as the aforementioned Izetta) was great, though, and now I understand why she's getting a lot of the roles that HanaKana or Eri Kitamura were getting up until a couple of years ago. Also, the two main leads have a very cute relationship. :3:

The one thing that felt somewhat gratuitous and a bit jarring despite the aim of being a simple *Wink wink! Fanservice time!* scene was how a lady (oddly enough, voiced by HanaKana) uses the excuse that she's getting Izetta's measurements to sexually harass her. And while it's a relatively short and nothing as exploitative as something like that scene from Cross Ange (or anything from Cross Ange, period), it's still like "Was that necessary at ALL?".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He's going to have to work overtime if he wants it to have a coherent plot, though.

based on what, two shows in one dude's entire work history? give this poo poo a rest when the show hasn't even aired

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He did the Planetes adaptation also so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Space Flower posted:

nothing horrible about izetta, but definitely dull in a lot of the wartime drama/action where it could've been exciting which is a complaint i've heard about some of the writer's popular works.

This. I was looking forward to it, and it ended up being kinda disappointing so i dropped it a few episodes in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh apparently fate/apocrypha goes to poo poo in the middle

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okouchi is fine. Valvrave, Guilty Crown and Kabaneri all have their share of issues, but he's fairly reliable as a screenwriter.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I was also disappointed in kabaneri. Just left me feeling ... meh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stairmaster posted:

oh apparently fate/apocrypha goes to poo poo in the middle

Will the anime get to that part?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stair's parroting opinions from 4chan

that said f/a isn't very good at the start or at the end either. it's just kinda mediocre. some good characters but it's very messily written and is trying to juggle too many people, and there's a whole lot of scenes that do nothing to advance the plot and are just characters talking about what the plot will eventually be

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's the fun of an adaptation, it can make changes for the better

I'm optimistic about all the anime this season, I don't think any of them will be trainwrecks

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i think princess principal has real potential to be a good show that does really badly commercially just like flip flappers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope they make changes too and the fact that nobody cares about f/a unlike f/sn where people'd cry bloody murder if they changed shirou's hair color means they might, but iunno, they'd have to do some pretty drastic reworking to make f/a work and there are just base problems of the premise (the amount of characters, sieg,) that they can't really change so much as try and work around.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Chio-chan is getting an anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i prefer trainwrecks to shows that turn out to be boring

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only trainwreck i have seen is Gangsta and that wasn't the sort of "lol xDD" thing people always try to make that stuff out to be. also, i prefer anime to be good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't really understand what people mean when they call an anime a train wreck.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't really understand what people mean when they call an anime a train wreck.

A bad anime.

Usually one that tries to do a lot of things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

"You don't want to look, but you just can't look away"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Goodbody posted:

a way for people to say they like symphogear on sa in 2012 without thinking people will think they're weird

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

A bad anime.

Usually one that tries to do a lot of things.

But the anime I've heard most often described as trainwrecks are Code Geass and Symphogear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i like an anime, I'd call it good.

if something is fun and exciting even if the minute-to-minute plot doesn't make much sense, then that's just because they chose to emphasize something other than detailed plotting. while they could have done that in a way that didn't create holes, I can't fault them for using an animated medium to string together a series of cool, interesting animation sequences. That makes it good.

imo the trainwreck meme is just people being very afraid to say they like a show in spite of its plot holes or weirder moments. if you like kabaneri or valvrave or whatever, just say you like them.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Excellent.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

a way for people to say they like symphogear on sa in 2012 without thinking people will think they're weird
Symphogear is rad. Symphogear Season 2 was just as much (if not more so) radder. S3 was when things were not as rad (still plenty fun, though). I have high hopes for S4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

if something is fun and exciting even if the minute-to-minute plot doesn't make much sense, then that's just because they chose to emphasize something other than detailed plotting. while they could have done that in a way that didn't create holes, I can't fault them for using an animated medium to string together a series of cool, interesting animation sequences. That makes it good.

imo the trainwreck meme is just people being very afraid to say they like a show in spite of its plot holes or weirder moments. if you like kabaneri or valvrave or whatever, just say you like them.

this

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eh season 2 of CG kind of was a train wreck in the negative sense. And Symphogear contains a train wreck.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plotting is honestly one of the things I value least in a series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

But the anime I've heard most often described as trainwrecks are Code Geass and Symphogear

I think a lot of the idea that Code Geass is a train wreck is just people mindlessly repeating the memetic circle jerk from 4chan or wherever back when R2 was airing. With stuff like Symphogear it's just a way of pretending that you don't like it unironically. With gross stuff like Cross Ange it's often a way of pretending you don't fap to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samurai Flamenco is a series that feels like it should be a "train wreck" but that train manages to keep on going even after it's gone off the rails and even gone on like two other sets of rails and I love it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Plotting is honestly one of the things I value least in a series.

Surface-level plot is by far the least important aspect of storytelling.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think a lot of the idea that Code Geass is a train wreck is just people mindlessly repeating the memetic circle jerk from 4chan or wherever back when R2 was airing. With stuff like Symphogear it's just a way of pretending that you don't like it unironically. With gross stuff like Cross Ange it's often a way of pretending you don't fap to it.

Why are people scared of liking Symphogear unironically? I only just recently watched it so I missed previous opinions on the show but I thought it was legitimately good and fun. Was the premise just too silly for them? Was it that really bad scene with Fine and Chris in season 1?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why are people scared of liking Symphogear unironically? I only just recently watched it so I missed previous opinions on the show but I thought it was legitimately good and fun. Was the premise just too silly for them? Was it that really bad scene with Fine and Chris in season 1?

show about magical girls powered by singing wearing revealing outfits broadcasting in 2012, not a cool thing to like on older adtrw

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Symphogear is rad. Symphogear Season 2 was just as much (if not more so) radder. S3 was when things were not as rad (still plenty fun, though). I have high hopes for S4.

Wasn't season 3 the one with "do these look like swords to you?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

show about magical girls powered by singing wearing revealing outfits broadcasting in 2012, not a cool thing to like on older adtrw

From what I understand of older adtrw I get they'd dislike the outfits or whatever but what's wrong with things powered by singing. That owns!

E:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wasn't season 3 the one with "do these look like swords to you?"

Yeah it was. It ruled.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

This

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

cross ange is cool, imo.

well.

it has things in it that are cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

*in extremely woke voice* you could have just said 'show about girls' *revs up motorcycle*

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Samurai Flamenco is a series that feels like it should be a "train wreck" but that train manages to keep on going even after it's gone off the rails and even gone on like two other sets of rails and I love it.

The way I see it, people use "train wreck" in two ways: both to describe something they don't care about at all and just watch because they think it is totally bad, like The Room, as well as for things that have a crazy plot with twists and turns, whether they're bad or not in formal terms, even if they also happen to include other stuff that's relatively good and can be appreciated: characters, music, episodes, theme, action, whatever.

So the term is actually kind of unhelpful unless folks clarify what they mean. There are individuals who will claim Samurai Flamenco became horrible and uninteresting when certain stuff happened (and kept happening), so they were watching it to see how bad things could become and nothing else, but others would say they enjoyed the craziness yet still kept some investment in the cast and even liked how it all eventually ended. Same with all the other shows like Code Geass and Symphogear. I liked the series I've mentioned above and just prefer to call them rollercoasters in order to make it clear that no, I don't think everything about them is bad or requires me to be "ironic" about the experience.

Hell, I recall even Higurashi got called a "train wreck" back in the day and in retrospect that also seems harsh.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
if you're wondering what an anime trainwreck looks like watch handshakers, a series that hosed up everything

• Locked thread