Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Someone please buy Jimmy Butler an account and give him the info via text or FaceTime. Let's get him to post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

whats the risk? 2 ball dominant players can work fine together even without good offball games, and both players can easily work offball. is the risk that patrick beverly suddenly becomes a top 5 pg all time? that massively upgrading their team might not win them a championship at the cost of....absolutely 0 part of their future?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Strawberry Panda posted:

I do not understand how a GM as good as Daryl Morey adds a top 10 player to a 55 win team and people think the trade is bad.

from the weird complaints I've heard it seems like people WAAAAAY overrate Beverly. He's not in the ball park of league average starter at his position. He's just a rotation guy on an old money deal. That FRP is probably going to be 28. Lou Williams' contract is precisely as long as Paul's. Sam Dekker is Just A Guy. I mean, if Houston is paying Paul 40 million when he's 38 in 2023, that would be surprising and not great, but I suspect they'll avoid that somehow.

e: and dont get me started on the montrezl harrell fans coming out of the woodwork on nba twitter.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 29, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im excited for free agency to start Saturday :unsmith:

i wonder where gallo's gonna go!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

from the weird complaints I've heard it seems like people WAAAAAY overrate Beverly. He's not in the ball park of league average starter at his position. He's just a rotation guy on an old money deal. That FRP is probably going to be 28. Lou Williams' contract is precisely as long as Paul's. Sam Dekker is Just A Guy. I mean, if Houston is paying Paul 40 million when he's 38 in 2023, that would be surprising and not great, but I suspect they'll avoid that somehow.

whoa I love the trade with all my heart but if you are going to diss bev, dekker, harrell, and sweet Lou we are going to fight

I'll see you in Temecula, but the venue has a waiting list with R.D. Mangles constantly challenging people to bouts there

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

G-Hawk posted:

There was probably 3 teams with a realistic chance at winning a title last year, with the Rockets and Celtics next in line. The Rockets were punching above their weight because of a historic season by James Harden, generally some pretty drat good luck with health, and a pretty clever group of well fitting players, good coaching, and obsession with offensive efficiency. But they didn't have enough talent, at all. In the playoffs, their limitations got exposed and by round 2, they hit their ceiling when an offense thats just basically James Harden runs the pick n roll and makes a good decision and they either bomb 3s or charge at the rim could be stopped.

Now they've added Paul, which dramatically raises their ceiling, but yes, also has long term risks to it. The team constructed as is still isn't as good as the Warriors, and its unlikely they can make the type of acquisitions this offseason(or ever) to get to parity with the greatest team ever, but they've increased their chances of first off even getting to the WCF, and second off, winning it through either GSW injuries, luck, hot shooting, whatever. And they only have given up a late first rounder, and some rotation players with limited upside(or in Beverley's case, probably peak value) to do it. It may not end in a title, but it seems like basically the best possible option and unless the plan is to say welp gently caress it, blow it all up and tank, what else should they be doing?

Just want to say this is an excellent drat post and I agree 100%. Nothing further to even add.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Let's trade for Kris Dunn and Cam Payne, and also let's try to resign Rondo and add another 30 year old PG to our tanking roster

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Ah people just get attached to role players I guess. Like how I was disappointed when I was 13 when Lamar Odom and Brian Grant got traded for Shaq.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

owns

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Strawberry Panda posted:

Ah people just get attached to role players I guess. Like how I was disappointed when I was 13 when Lamar Odom and Brian Grant got traded for Shaq.

I got mad when the Rockets traded Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler, come at me

To take this into baseball, I got mad when the Astros traded Glenn Davis for Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Schilling to make room on the roster for Jeff Bagwell

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/capelaclint/status/880471649941954560

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My sister recently moved to Miami but when she was still living in downtown Houston she found out that Clint Capela lived in her apartments when she ran into him on an elevator

She refused to introduce me :mad:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:itshappening:

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/880561088898637824

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Welp, LeBron is going to NYC.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahaha what the

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Calipari is a great pickup for when we need to secretly give our players money, not sure what else he brings tho

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think he's a meh coach but that would be a good role for him. It adds credibility with guys. It's pretty much the hire they would want to make if they didn't want stars to think they're a huge joke like they do right now.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Strawberry Panda posted:

I do not understand how a GM as good as Daryl Morey adds a top 10 player to a 55 win team and people think the trade is bad.

Has anyone said it's a bad trade? I have some reservations about the long-term viability if they give Paul a max extension, but the Rockets definitely won the trade on personnel alone, let alone that it's only a 1-year opt-in right now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EvanTH posted:

Hah, even when people acknowledge he's cooked he's still overrated. By the numbers he's a slightly below average shooter and an overall very inefficient shooter.

Over the last three seasons Melo's been a combined .348 3p shooter--that's below league average. (Average ranged from .350 to .358 over that time). Over the entirety of his career he's .346 from three.

His eFG% is WELL below league average, eFG% over the last three years has been.481, career .482. League average this season is .514

Melo barely bothers getting to the rim anymore because he can't jump anymore so he gets blocked a lot instead of bodying folks like he used to.

He's worse at catch and shoot than Ryan Anderson -- http://stats.nba.com/players/catch-...&PerMode=Totals (Melo is on page 2/7, CP3 up top wow he's going to work on the Rockets)

I know you're immediately thinking hey it's the Knicks, they don't pass or run an offense (which is his fault too, his shot selection has always been straight stupid and he's a ballstopper, but that's another discussion) maybe he's not getting open looks, and I partially agree, get Melo in an empty gym and he can shoot really, really well (hence Olympic Melo), but still, nah. Here look at what he does with a defender on him.

CP3 (one of the league's best):

Ryan Anderson:

Melo:

edit: god loving dammit almost 50% of his shots taken while completely guarded gently caress you Melo

In summary:

No, he's not really good at basketball. He's not even good at basketball anymore. He's a negative player. A negative player who is on contract for 50m over the next two years.

Just pay Ryan Anderson if you want want Melo brings.

Should I take that to mean Dolan did offer him the job lol

Why are you bringing up stats related to things I didn't mention at all?

Melo is a ~41.7% 3pt shooter on catch and shoot situations(0 dribbles)(around the same as Anderson's 42.4)

All your stats show is that Melo is not at good as Chris Paul(one of the best PG's of all loving time) and takes a ton of bad shots. Which I don't think anyone is really debating.

So sure if you want to reduce it. Melo is Ryan Anderson, but a version of him who can if necessary act autonomously. Which is something that Ryan Anderson can't do.

So like I said, the issue with Melo is would be getting him to play in a team concept lower his usage and him probably playing more spot up than he has at any other point in his career.

The price difference between Melo and Anderson(~5-6 million or so) is what you are paying for someone who in theory(to once again use your comparison) can be Ryan Anderson, but also if forced to make a play on his own can do so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

EvanTH my man, I couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone else, take it from us Knicks fans. We have been watching Melo for years. You don't want him on your team. I get we all have those memories of him scoring 61, the one or two nights out of the hundreds he's played where he couldn't miss. That one time he blocked a shot. That's not Melo. That's not who you're getting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EvanTH posted:

Calipari is a great pickup for when we need to secretly give our players money, not sure what else he brings tho

College Athletics at the level Calipari operates at is perfect for a Team president/GM job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYK: nah

https://mobile.twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/880564076153372673

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Melo is a ~41.7% 3pt shooter on catch and shoot situations(0 dribbles)(around the same as Anderson's 42.4)

All your stats show is that Melo is not at good as Chris Paul(one of the best PG's of all loving time) and takes a ton of bad shots. Which I don't think anyone is really debating.

So sure if you want to reduce it. Melo is Ryan Anderson, but a version of him who can if necessary act autonomously. Which is something that Ryan Anderson can't do.

So like I said, the issue with Melo is would be getting him to play in a team concept lower his usage and him probably playing more spot up than he has at any other point in his career.

The price difference between Melo and Anderson(~5-6 million or so) is what you are paying for someone who in theory(to once again use your comparison) can be Ryan Anderson, but also if forced to make a play on his own can do so.

Ryan Anderson and Melo are both overpaid ding dongs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, Isiah Thomas just turned you down to keep with his WNBA team so your choices here are probably getting slim.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dexo made my point on Carmelo basically, but again I qualify I've barely watched him in games the last couple of years so I'm mostly just looking at stats. But basically, Ryan Anderson does little else but hit open 3s at a pretty good rate. (The really impressive thing in those shooting numbers is just how high his frequency of open shots was) Melo can do that also, and do some other things pretty well too. But he also can waste posessions, ball stop, and if hes going to complain about lower usage, thats an issue. Can/would he decrease his bad habits and tendacies and mostly focus on hitting open 3s, and sometimes creating offense when needed? I don't know, but if so, that would be pretty useful and perhaps worth the money.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

Has anyone said it's a bad trade? I have some reservations about the long-term viability if they give Paul a max extension, but the Rockets definitely won the trade on personnel alone, let alone that it's only a 1-year opt-in right now.

Fast cars loose anus said the trade sucked.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's less about what Carmelo does and more about what he refuses to do

He's capable of being an insane playmaker who could help out any team in the league if he wished to. His passing is great. His on-court attitude and approach to the game sucks though and I would never presume to try to convince a Knicks fan otherwise

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

kiimo posted:

Did Gregg Popovich grow up in Germany or something?

His dad is Serbian, mother is Croatian; he was a trained intelligence officer in the U.S. Air Force and spent a decent portion of his young adulthood in Eastern Europe. There's also a small, but non-zero chance that he was engaged in a bit of "soft spying" on the U.S.S.R. for the U.S.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's capable of being an insane playmaker who could help out any team in the league if he wished to. His passing is great. His on-court attitude and approach to the game sucks though and I would never presume to try to convince a Knicks fan otherwise

Yeah thats probably right, my hypothetical is basically good guy Olympic Melo. Anyway its a moot point I don't think Morey is going to trade for that contract and the more likely scenario would be if Melo is bought out and the Rockets sign him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

This is probably sums up my feelings on it. And I get Knicks fans feelings on him. I just think if you put Melo next to two players like CP3 and Harden he would play more like he should.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think its unreasonable to think that Carmelo might look a lot better (especially on efficiency) if he is on a better team and a better system. He won't be worth his contract, but if he goes to Houston for people who might literally not exist its not like they had cap room to do anything else.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Teodosic is going to be a good signing for whoever ends up with him.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm gonna say... Houstan... Houstan Rockettes...

If we can just sign/trade for everyone who has Paul in their name this will have been a good offseason

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Ryan Anderson is not terrible at attacking with the ball either. He can dribble drive into a dirk leg fadeaway that's actually tough to guard and sometimes he'll have it all game.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

G-Hawk posted:

Yeah thats probably right, my hypothetical is basically good guy Olympic Melo. Anyway its a moot point I don't think Morey is going to trade for that contract and the more likely scenario would be if Melo is bought out and the Rockets sign him.

Dexo posted:

This is probably sums up my feelings on it. And I get Knicks fans feelings on him. I just think if you put Melo next to two players like CP3 and Harden he would play more like he should.

I hope he does end up somewhere where he's motivated to play up to his capabilities because he's really fun to watch when he's engaged and full of care about the game

http://nbamath.com/pull-up-shooting/ This is cool

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Ryan Anderson is not terrible at attacking with the ball either. He can dribble drive into a dirk leg fadeaway that's actually tough to guard and sometimes he'll have it all game.

Anderson has mastered the Rockets flavor of "gently caress it shoot it from 33" which worked pretty well this season

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some days you regret getting yourself banned from Kentucky boards.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Oh I was diving right past what you were saying, going into a Melo sucks rant. I've got some kinda PTSD from watching him play for the last 7 seasons, slightest reminder sets me off and I start foaming at the mouth and threatening bystanders. Ryan Anderson seemed like a handy comparison for a Rockets player doesn't play defense, can't do much on offense has a reputation for shooting and is probably overpaid.

Chris Paul stats were in there just because I seen 'em while I was looking through numbers and they were fuckin' awesome. My eyes popped out of my skull and I had to put them back in like a cartoon wolf. Sorta "whoa look at what a great player can do." I don't remember CP3 having a better reputation than Melo as a shooter, but he oughta have it. What a great pickup for the Rockets

Main thrust was that Melo really isn't good at a lot of the things that people still think he's good at, and I don't think Morey's going to ditch an overpaid player (Anderson) who can't do much and doesn't play any defense in order to pick up another player who also doesn't play defense and can't do much in a very similar way, plus is WAY overpaid. Even after a buyout I'm not sure what he could reasonably offer. edit: and I also don't think the Knicks buy him out, because they are proven dumb.

Response to the bold it part is partial agreement, but again I think he's really, really not as good at "acting autonomously" as his reputation would suggest. Once Melo puts the ball on the floor his 3p% ducks under 30%. (Real weird stat here--like you said Melo's catch&shoot, 0 dribbles on a three is 41.7%, but then if he takes a single dribble it drops to 23.5%, back up to 31% with a second dribble). Absolutely Ryan Anderson shouldn't be depended on to put the ball on the floor, but it's not like Melo gets good outcomes when he does it.

For the second bold part, Melo's shown himself to be actively hostile to anyone who tries to get him to play different, including the Rockets current head coach. Again I don't think Morey makes that trade. Ahah which wasn't anything I've seen argued in this section of the internet, but my already poo poo team is falling apart and I gotta post. I'm most of the way certain that Kristaps is done with us, Knicks are just gonna stunt his development for another year or two then lose him for nothing.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 30, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I had completely forgotten about D'Antoni's stint in New York somehow. Yikes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax

Please Support this Great and charitable cause to ease the extremely long suffering Chicago Bulls fans. It's been nearly 2 decades since we won our last championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are the knicks conducting a GM search via twitter.

• Locked thread