Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

Has anybody said anything recently about how the NBA is the best league?

I wonder how many dicks he's seen already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Has anybody said anything recently about how the NBA is the best league?

We try to say it once a page because it really is.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/iamisiahthomas/status/880522791812034560

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/880533104980508672

More Guards for the Guard God!!!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

hahaha oh man even he's smart enough to stay away from that dumpster fire

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

How Bad of a shooter is he?

I need to know.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

I need to know.

Good shooter

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective. paul's a good spot up shooter i guess but it seems like a mistake to to pair him with harden, especially with sacrificing as much depth as they did

also, the defense of that squad is gonna be....woof

not like, 2016-2017 nuggets bad, but probably still pretty fuckin' bad

anyway i feel like houston still won't be able to compete with the warriors and the spurs remain the only hope of keeping the warriors out of the finals for the next 2-3 years

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It would be good if the Cavaliers traded LBJ to the Cubs.

euphronius posted:

Lol if George and butler both end up in the West

LBJ is going to make the finals again I think.

EvanTH posted:

I think it's probably like how them British treat the NHS--there's problems enough to complain all day and all night, but folks are ultimately proud of it and glad it's there. It's a Very Good Thing that NYS has the largest public university system in the western world (at least some of the time? It might back and forth between NY and California depending on how you're taking measurements and what year, with Ohio usually a close third).

The NHS still uses Windows XP computers/servers though. That's a problem as they were trounced by the latest round of cryptolocker viruses.

fast cars loose anus posted:

To be fair I don't follow the NBA as much as the NFL and MLB and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but if this team as constructed right now gets past the Warriors it will be a stunning upset

No team can realistically make moves in the following few years to get better than the Warriors on paper.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

I need to know.

He's been like a 38% 3p shooter on about 5 a game in the last 5 years. Translate that to NBA and he's probably around 35%. He's good though, he's really good. He might not be athletic but he's skilled, which is a nice change of pace from MCW, who isn't athletic or skilled. He's a sort of scoring combo guard who's moved to pg as he's gotten older, think of him as a poor Serbian man's Manu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWHYSJ5PM0 If you want to see his cool passes you can watch this highlight video

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

hypothetically swapping Ryan Anderson for him is not totally insane, depending on if there are other particulars to a deal. Melo is older and his contract is bigger, but both have 3 more years at 20mil+. I'm not saying it is a good idea, just not totally far fetched. But yeah, I basically agree.

I'd rather keep Anderson, the guy who's willing to accept his role as the "stand there and receive the kickout pass for an open three" guy who plays no defense vs Melo, the "the offense should be run through me no matter what" guy who also plays no defense, especially when Ryno costs less

ex post facho posted:

im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective. paul's a good spot up shooter i guess but it seems like a mistake to to pair him with harden, especially with sacrificing as much depth as they did

The thing that got me on board was the whole "One or both of James Harden or Chris Paul is going to be on the floor literally the entire game"

And replacing Bev's defense with CP3's isn't some catastrophe

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I have no loving idea why Morey wants CP3 when we have a great point guard already

Having CP3 will help Harden not reach 400+ turnovers next season. He's been the TOV king three straight years (four out of the last five seasons). Last year he had 464 (the most in basketball universe history).

This is good. Hopefully this means CP3 is done shilling in all those ghastly State Farm ads.

Kirios posted:

As a casual Rockets fan it's hard for me to really care about this trade because it's still not nearly enough to compete.

If the Warriors have significant injuries.

:lol:

I'm going to miss PJ taking a big dump on Carmelo every week and flashing his rings like they give him divine right.

euphronius posted:

You can't just like ... not play healthy stars.

At the end of the season you can sure. You can't just bench healthy guys at the start of the year . He's only 32. I guess 33.

I don't remember that ever happening in the NBA.

Fake an injury OR maybe Carmelo could clean the bathrooms or mop the floor. Or Dolan could hire him as another bodyguard to shield him from Charles Oakley. :anime:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

xbilkis posted:

Would staggering Harden/Paul's minutes so they're playing without one another as much or more often than they're playing together be the optimal way to use them? Will stars teaming up ever accept this arrangement

At times in the regular season for sure. Manu did it readily.

ex post facho posted:

im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective

I've had some time to think about this and I have come to a further conclusion: this sucks

Someone convince me this isn't the trade that will ruin Morey's reputation forever because goddamn is it shamefully bad imo

Old-rear end man Chris Paul isn't helping us beat the Spurs much less the Warriors

Ty1990 posted:

There seems to be this weird idea among casual basketball fans that Chris Paul is washed.

CP3 has been ranked within the top 8 of WS/48 for TEN consecutive seasons:

code:
Season	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	6th	7th	8th
2016-17		C. Paul (.2643)						
2015-16				C. Paul (.2528)				
2014-15			C. Paul (.2702)					
2013-14		C. Paul (.2695)						
2012-13			C. Paul (.2868)					
2011-12		C. Paul (.2785)						
2010-11				C. Paul (.2319)				
2009-10								C. Paul (.2039)
2008-09		C. Paul (.2925)						
2007-08	C. Paul (.2840)							
Others to accomplish that (number of consecutive years):

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1970-1983 (14)
Oscar Robertson 1961-1971 (11)
Wilt Chamberlain 1960-1969 (10)
Magic Johnson 1982-1991 (10)
Jerry West 1964-1973 (10)

Think of all the so-called greats who aren't on that list. CP3 is among five champions and should continue his top 8 WS/48 streak.

ragle posted:

the extra 10% to keep Melo as a scorer off the bench is cheaper than trying to get an equivalent scorer elsewhere.

Carmelo was worse than Joakim Noah last year by advanced stats. If a team is paying someone why can't they decide the player is most effective coming off the bench?

ragle posted:

on basketball-reference.com the respective player pages, under "Advanced," Noah was superior in WS/48, BPM, VORP, Carmelo was better in WS.

Noah played ~1,000 minutes and doesn't qualify as a leader for WS/48 and a lot of other advanced stats. 1,500+ minutes is necessary.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 29, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i really cannot believe anyone is actually worried this will somehow make the rockets defense worse. Chris Paul is a really good defender, and presumably with less offensive burden than in the past because of Harden, could be even better. Harden may improve some on defense with Paul taking the load off, also. Williams was arguably the worst defender on the entire team, and Dekker is terrible there too (though perhaps gets better with experience). This doesn't make their defense worse, it probably makes it better when they fill out the team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ex post facho posted:

also, the defense of that squad is gonna be....woof

not like, 2016-2017 nuggets bad, but probably still pretty fuckin' bad

anyway i feel like houston still won't be able to compete with the warriors and the spurs remain the only hope of keeping the warriors out of the finals for the next 2-3 years

Many of the things you say, are wrong.
Harden was an excellent player playing almost exclusively off ball in OKC and spent lots of time off ball every year before last. He has voiced his desire to be used off ball more. Chris Paul is an incredible passer and shooter. Both are great spot up shooters when given the chance. Their defense will probably not be worse as long as Nene is retained and they use the midlevel wisely, because Chris Paul is one of the best pg defenders in the NBA, much better than Beverly. Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrel were bad, bad, and mediocre-bad defenders, respectively.

All they gave up were two bench players, one sparkplug guard, and a solid but unspectacular off ball pg, for a top 5 NBA player.

The warriors are better than everyone, it doesn't change the fact that this was a huge coup for Houston. There are potentially 99 or so games in the season not against the Warriors.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

i really cannot believe anyone is actually worried this will somehow make the rockets defense worse. Chris Paul is a really good defender, and presumably with less offensive burden than in the past because of Harden, could be even better. Harden may improve some on defense with Paul taking the load off, also. Williams was arguably the worst defender on the entire team, and Dekker is terrible there too (though perhaps gets better with experience). This doesn't make their defense worse, it probably makes it better when they fill out the team.

Ehhhh I'm not counting on Harden's defense to improve much. And this team is seriously short on bigs now, something that was a strength last season. I liked Harrell a lot and he was (other than Bev) the piece I'm going to miss most from this trade

Also Bev... :sigh: Going to miss Bev so much

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watch how bad the Clippers will be next year. CP3 turning that entire tire fire franchise around was a miracle. I still remember CP3 openly and incredulously arguing with Del Negro over plays on live TV.

Cool Buff Man posted:

? Then pay him. It's not his fault that he got offered a dream contract. This is not Melo's doing and "what's best for the team" has gently caress all to do with it

It's his fault that he staunchly and steadfastly refuses to play D. I've seen coaches and billionaires in the first row play as much D.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Is it a bit too flow-chart-y to say I'm not crazy about Chris Paul on the Rockets? I mean, it would make the team better, but not "can beat GS next year" better and do we really want to be paying him $30+ mil a year when he's 36? When you think about the depth they'd have to gut to fit Paul in and his age/injury concerns, it seems like a high-risk/low-reward move relative the team as is.

If they're looking to "win now," they'd be better off going all in for Paul George. He upgrades a much weaker position, and even if he leaves for LA, at least the team gets that cap space back and probably has room for another max deal. Only problem with George on the Rockets is he couldn't be PG-13 anymore.

There's always risk but CP3 is a player you take almost above any other when given the opportunity. Nobody will surpass GSW on paper but that doesn't mean the other 29 teams should just call it a day and do nothing.

PG is far less valuable than CP3. In value comparisons PG compares most closely with Goose Ligon.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/ligongo01.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/FEELZ_/status/880527862788481025

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Patrick Beverley

Now there's a dude who can go gently caress himself

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i just dont understand how turning these bad players into this once in a generation player could help the rockets????? theyve sabotaged themselves for Decades

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Many of the things you say, are wrong.
Harden was an excellent player playing almost exclusively off ball in OKC and spent lots of time off ball every year before last. He has voiced his desire to be used off ball more. Chris Paul is an incredible passer and shooter. Both are great spot up shooters when given the chance. Their defense will probably not be worse as long as Nene is retained and they use the midlevel wisely, because Chris Paul is one of the best pg defenders in the NBA, much better than Beverly. Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrel were bad, bad, and mediocre-bad defenders, respectively.

All they gave up were two bench players, one sparkplug guard, and a solid but unspectacular off ball pg, for a top 5 NBA player.

The warriors are better than everyone, it doesn't change the fact that this was a huge coup for Houston. There are potentially 99 or so games in the season not against the Warriors.

but not that the nuggets defense was lovely!!

we'll see how it plays out. i remain skeptical. i don't doubt that cp3 is great, but he's only been on teams where he's almost always the primary ballhandler and defers to nobody. both he and harden are going to need a ton of touches.

if this actually results in the rockets beating the warriors 4-3 somewhere along the road to the WCF, i will return hat in hand and write a sonnet about a rockets player of Intruder's choice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
actually now that i think about it, both cp3 and harden are going to get a ton of the league ejected this year through repeated flopping enraging the opposing players, coaching staff, fans, arena announcers, and fans of Hard Nosed, Gritty basketball

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

Ehhhh I'm not counting on Harden's defense to improve much. And this team is seriously short on bigs now, something that was a strength last season. I liked Harrell a lot and he was (other than Bev) the piece I'm going to miss most from this trade

Also Bev... :sigh: Going to miss Bev so much

Harden can play defense ok when he feels like it. I'm not expecting much but it shouldn't get any worse, at least.

Harrell is fine and all but he is very very far from irreplaceable. Yeah, but we're gonna sign a couple people before the season starts. I'm assuming Nene probably comes back, also.

edit: I mean if the standard is "will this make you the favorite in beating the warriors in the playoffs" then why bother doing much of anything besides collecting 2021 draft picks and tanking I guess? Its a probability game and this both ups the probability of beating the Warriors as the team is, and makes it much much more likely the team can acquire another star player which makes it a lot more possible.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

but not that the nuggets defense was lovely!!

we'll see how it plays out. i remain skeptical. i don't doubt that cp3 is great, but he's only been on teams where he's almost always the primary ballhandler and defers to nobody. both he and harden are going to need a ton of touches.

if this actually results in the rockets beating the warriors 4-3 somewhere along the road to the WCF, i will return hat in hand and write a sonnet about a rockets player of Intruder's choice

Nobody has said this makes the rockets better than the warriors, just better than they were. Which they are.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sure. i didn't say it made them better than the warriors either, but it sure would be nice if it did just for yknow a change of pace

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
what are you even arguing dude? That they shouldn't trade roleplayers for an all time player?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

almost all of the recent champions involve a top player learning to work better with equally skilled ball dominant players. i guess the lebron cavs teams stretch the concept of equally but hey what are you going to do. they don't even have to work well together, they could literally just alternate isos and there would be more than enough possessions. the kd/russ thunder basically did that. it only really becomes a problem if you have 3 people who need the ball and cant play offball.

pat bev is basically the perfect just a guy PG for a good team but he does literally nothing better than cp3. hes not even more annoying than him

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ex post facho posted:

your standard for improvement is the ability to beat the best team of all time, all else is disappointment. that cannot be what you mean.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

Harden can play defense ok when he feels like it. I'm not expecting much but it shouldn't get any worse, at least.

Harrell is fine and all but he is very very far from irreplaceable. Yeah, but we're gonna sign a couple people before the season starts. I'm assuming Nene probably comes back, also.

edit: I mean if the standard is "will this make you the favorite in beating the warriors in the playoffs" then why bother doing much of anything besides collecting 2021 draft picks and tanking I guess? Its a probability game and this both ups the probability of beating the Warriors as the team is, and makes it much much more likely the team can acquire another star player which makes it a lot more possible.

I was very happy with Nene's play but his minutes are obviously very limited at this stage

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

I was very happy with Nene's play but his minutes are obviously very limited at this stage

Agree, and hoping Capela can take another step, so I don't hate Nene pairing with him with minutes balanced more towards Capela. We do have the MLE, I'd hope that is used on a 4.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He's right now the rockets don't have thunder killer bev so okc beats them in 6

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
well, the warriors going to another finals would be a disappointment yes, but if the Rockets manage to make it to the wcf to be beaten by the warriors again then yeah sure improvement for the Rockets!

im still amazed that nene has hung around for as long as he has. when the nuggets swapped him for mcgee i figured he had another season or two at best, and here he is 5 years later, still pretty effective

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

any big who can run, jump, and dunk is going to play insanely well with arguably the two best pnr guards in the nba, in an offense that creates a ridiculous amount of space. CP3 was putting up double digit assist numbers on a team with meh spacing from playing 2 bigmen and luc mbah a moute

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Melo ... pretty good spot up 3pt shooters.

Hah, even when people acknowledge he's cooked he's still overrated. By the numbers he's a slightly below average shooter and an overall very inefficient shooter.

Over the last three seasons Melo's been a combined .348 3p shooter--that's below league average. (Average ranged from .350 to .358 over that time). Over the entirety of his career he's .346 from three.

His eFG% is WELL below league average, eFG% over the last three years has been.481, career .482. League average this season is .514

Melo barely bothers getting to the rim anymore because he can't jump anymore so he gets blocked a lot instead of bodying folks like he used to.

He's worse at catch and shoot than Ryan Anderson -- http://stats.nba.com/players/catch-...&PerMode=Totals (Melo is on page 2/7, CP3 up top wow he's going to work on the Rockets)

I know you're immediately thinking hey it's the Knicks, they don't pass or run an offense (which is his fault too, his shot selection has always been straight stupid and he's a ballstopper, but that's another discussion) maybe he's not getting open looks, and I partially agree, get Melo in an empty gym and he can shoot really, really well (hence Olympic Melo), but still, nah. Here look at what he does with a defender on him.

CP3 (one of the league's best):

Ryan Anderson:

Melo:

edit: god loving dammit almost 50% of his shots taken while completely guarded gently caress you Melo

In summary:

G-Hawk posted:

That too. I admittedly haven't watched him a lot recently because lol why, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people forgot Carmelo Anthony is still really good at basketball because lol knicks

No, he's not really good at basketball. He's not even good at basketball anymore. He's a negative player. A negative player who is on contract for 50m over the next two years.

Just pay Ryan Anderson if you want want Melo brings.

Should I take that to mean Dolan did offer him the job lol

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In honor of KD putting up the greatest finals performance in a few different ways I made another NES 8-bit mashup thing:
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/59557249eafc0-return-of-the-joker-kevin-durant.php

Here's the Curry 13 3P record one from sometime ago:
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/58487a0d2743b-silius-stephen-curry.php

My Wiggins 2for19 shooting game was deleted due by YouTube though.

ex post facho posted:

This has been said many times before concerning many players on many teams. It's illogical because with this thinking all those USA Olympic teams shouldn't work because they all need the ball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Time posted:

what are you even arguing dude? That they shouldn't trade roleplayers for an all time player?

He brings up parity every other week like the league lost it somehow. He brings up really illogical and stupid solutions that makes it so everyone has 41 wins and the winner is decided by injuries, like the NFL

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I do not understand how a GM as good as Daryl Morey adds a top 10 player to a 55 win team and people think the trade is bad.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

There was probably 3 teams with a realistic chance at winning a title last year, with the Rockets and Celtics next in line. The Rockets were punching above their weight because of a historic season by James Harden, generally some pretty drat good luck with health, and a pretty clever group of well fitting players, good coaching, and obsession with offensive efficiency. But they didn't have enough talent, at all. In the playoffs, their limitations got exposed and by round 2, they hit their ceiling when an offense thats just basically James Harden runs the pick n roll and makes a good decision and they either bomb 3s or charge at the rim could be stopped.

Now they've added Paul, which dramatically raises their ceiling, but yes, also has long term risks to it. The team constructed as is still isn't as good as the Warriors, and its unlikely they can make the type of acquisitions this offseason(or ever) to get to parity with the greatest team ever, but they've increased their chances of first off even getting to the WCF, and second off, winning it through either GSW injuries, luck, hot shooting, whatever. And they only have given up a late first rounder, and some rotation players with limited upside(or in Beverley's case, probably peak value) to do it. It may not end in a title, but it seems like basically the best possible option and unless the plan is to say welp gently caress it, blow it all up and tank, what else should they be doing?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strawberry Panda posted:

I do not understand how a GM as good as Daryl Morey adds a top 10 player to a 55 win team and people think the trade is bad.

People were saying KD on the Warriors wouldn't mesh well because of egos or whatever. There will always be doubters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Strawberry Panda posted:

millennial apathy of "Why bother trying if it's not 100% successful"

• Locked thread