Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

namaste faggots posted:

Help me understand how a politician goes to bed at night thinking that suppressing voters is a legitimate political tactic.

They dream of killing all non whites with their ARs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

grant was an alcoholic but he was largely functional and his drinking was mostly a response to being bored and away from his family. his drinking was totally exaggerated by unkind rumors and military politics but it wasn't a fabrication, he did have a drinking problem

Also, even if he was a drunk, the man's accomplishments far outweigh any personal failings in the balance of things.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoft posted:

You better go tell McPherson.

i mean it really depends on how you define 'drunk' but grant was pretty solidly an alcoholic, his first resignation was tied directly to his excessive consumption of alcohol whether or not that was actual dereliction of duty or, more likely, just pissing off the wrong man. i can't get access to mcpherson's argument so unless you paraphrase it i'm going to assume that he just went along with the typical argument which is "grant struggled with alcoholism but this almost certainly had no impact on his performance during the civil war or as president"

by the time of the civil war he was largely sober with occasional relapses but his bad reputation followed him around and gave his political opponents an easy angle to criticize him

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/LarrySabato/status/880516753155014665

I feel like this list could use a few more numbers.

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/880539085844213760

So, uh, that's a conspiracy charge on its own right?

I can see him smugly dodging it.

"I can't control who sends me emails" :smug:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I am posting in my capacity as a private citizen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fraction Jackson posted:

Flynn's hosed if this is true, in other words. And there's only one way to save himself.

Didn't they offer him immunity a while back and then rescind it? Either he's got nothing particularly damning on anyone other than himself or the case is so rock solid against the conspirators that they don't need his testimony. I know which possibility I've been conditioned to think is more likely.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Deified Data posted:

Didn't they offer him immunity a while back and then rescind it? Either he's got nothing particularly damning on anyone other than himself or the case is so rock solid against the conspirators that they don't need his testimony. I know which possibility I've been conditioned to think is more likely.

He asked for immunity and they more or less laughed at him.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Deified Data posted:

or maybe he wouldn't roll up the food chain so they told him to pound sand

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deified Data posted:

No, he offered to testify in exchange for immunity and they told him to gently caress off.

Flynn is hosed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is..the insane conspiracy theory actually true? It looked like Trump cooperated with Russia and he actually did? Am I merely believing what I want to believe, or is it pretty much a lock now?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/880542468651053058

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

business hammocks posted:

Is..the insane conspiracy theory actually true? It looked like Trump cooperated with Russia and he actually did? Am I merely believing what I want to believe, or is it pretty much a lock now?

This has been obvious for months now where have you been?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Is it socially unacceptable mocking to ask which loving eye I'm supposed to follow when Sanders is talking? I don't want to flaunt my able privilege but wouldn't all that money daddy got from gubmintin' cover a procedure to fix that poo poo?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mxBDuRaZ8

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/880453584520974336/

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Its fake news. The FBI is colluding with the CNN to take down Trump because hes trying to drain the swamp.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

This has been obvious for some time, whether it was actually going to be provable is the questioned part.

Considering that Donald Trump is consistent on one and only one issue, ever, in his entire life, and that's defending the incredibly bad government of Russia....

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

People working on his campaign. Still nothing pointing directly to trump. But at this point it's probably coming.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He literally asked them to hack clinton's emails on live television during a debate.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

there is so far no evidence that trump PERSONALLY cooperated with russia.
there appears to be (and has for... a year?) a shitload of evidence that individuals within his campaign cooperated with Russia. There may or may not be evidence that his campaign as an organization cooperated with russia.

e:

ZobarStyl posted:

Is it socially unacceptable mocking to ask which loving eye I'm supposed to follow when Sanders is talking
yes it is and thanks for checking

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

So I guess that means they're really going for it.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

Don't meet your heroes. Do you remember that short lived cartoon that was supposed to teach kids about history? Woof.

Are you talking about Histeria? Lots of Futurama voice actors on that show.

Also, how is a former counter-terrorism and Intelligence leader so bad at covering his tracks?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blind Pineapple posted:

Are you talking about Histeria? Lots of Futurama voice actors on that show.

Also, how is a former counter-terrorism and Intelligence leader so bad at covering his tracks?

a woman that worked across a desk from flynn for a few years in afghanistan(?) basically described him as a savant at gathering intel and absolutely lost on how to interpret and utilize it

he's failed up as hard as anyone in the current administration

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So why isn't all of this Russia stuff being shouted from the highest mountain, instead of Trump's tweet storm this morning?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I think someone better take Johnny's quill away...

"I hereby pass the Alien, Sedition, and Covfefe Act."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Your Taint posted:

So why isn't all of this Russia stuff being shouted from the highest mountain, instead of Trump's tweet storm this morning?

Because it has been for like 2 months now? Just because the media is focusing on something else for a single day doesn't mean people have forgotten. Or did you just miss all of the 24/7 Comey drama?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Your Taint posted:

It just dropped. Give it a minute.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because it has been for like 2 months now? Just because the media is focusing on something else for a single day doesn't mean people have forgotten. Or did you just miss all of the 24/7 Comey drama?

I was talking about this particular element of it, not the story in general.

No pun intended but evidence of collusion trumps Donny Dipshit's latest triggered butthurt Twitter rants.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Cheekio posted:

So I guess that means they're really going for it.

I'll take a selfie and post it here when my head finally splits clean the gently caress in two.

Watching government dismantle itself must be like a conservative wonderland.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Taint posted:

No pun intended but evidence of collusion trumps Donny Dipshit's latest triggered butthurt Twitter rants.

The article that brought this up was literally just released, whereas Trump's stupid tweet was made in the early morning.

The endless 24 hour news cycle has ample time to cover all this idiocy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Your Taint posted:

What would you like to happen that isn't happening?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Taint posted:

I think the media's a little gunshy after the CNN "FAKE NEWS!!!" nonsense, and it's also a little more complex of a story than just Trump being his old misogynist self. They're parsing it, but it will probably get some play tonight and definitely tomorrow.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
So I finally got around to reading Guns of August, and every time Kaiser Willhelm II comes up I can't help but feel I've seen this behavior in someone before, then it hit me that he is motherfucking Trump, Bare with me here. Born to wealth and power and had everything given to him, despite every advantage given to him by this he turned out to be a colossal moron. Complained to foreign leaders he/his country wasn't getting the respect they deserved from the other nations/leaders, everything he touched he seemed to screw up with the only exceptions being things handled by competent underlings (and he took/tried to take credit for every success).
Unnecessarily aggravated and pissed of other leaders, held grudges to a stupid degree. Sure no two people in history are ever completely the same but man I just can't help but think Willhelm II was last centuries Trump, and to wrap it all up Trumps family is German descended and Trumps birth year is only 5 years after the Kaisers death.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did.... Did I not make myself clear?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Taint posted:

It just got dropped late in the day when everyone was pretty focused on the tweet story, and they probably want to verify stuff and do some work before running with it especially after the CNN thing earlier this week?

If its got legs then it will be in prime time or tomorrow morning. I assume Maddow will definitely have something to say about it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Internet Kraken posted:

The article that brought this up was literally just released, whereas Trump's stupid tweet was made in the early morning.

The endless 24 hour news cycle has ample time to cover all this idiocy.

I was unaware as to how long this story had been out. I retract if it's only been an hour or so.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/880564324850212864

http://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Millions of new coal jobs, any day now!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People going to jail.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Millions of new coal jobs, any day now!

*robots mining coal intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator