Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Eh, it still would have stuck out like a sore thumb because of the clumsy plotting. There's a traitor on the Enterprise? Well, no poo poo it isn't going to be one of the core cast, so of course it's going to be the guest star.

Eh, at that point I think it worked because Vulcans are Honest. There were basically no Vulcans in TNG before that either to dispel the notion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The script writers didn't feel the need to insert much connection with any of the other plotters ("It's Colonel West!") so it is semi-plausibly could have been someone random other than Valeris.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They had a decent bit of misdirection with those two dudes early in the movie. I was surprised it was Valeris the first time. It's amazing how well competent filmmaking can overcome issues like predictable character turns.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, do you remember in "The Neutral Zone" (I think - it's the one where they unfreeze some cryogenically preserved people from the 21st century) where Crusher says something like, "Did you know that people in the 21st century were afraid of death? It terrified them!" completely disbelievingly?

I think cryogenic freezing is mentioned by Picard later on as being a fad; my take is that Crusher is more 'can you believe what these people did', instead of 'I stare Death in the face daily, and wait for him to blink'.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

They had a decent bit of misdirection with those two dudes early in the movie. I was surprised it was Valeris the first time. It's amazing how well competent filmmaking can overcome issues like predictable character turns.

It also helped that Spock completely trusted her, and we know Spock can't be wrong. Until he was.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Depends on how you watch it, of course. If you like just popping on an episode at random, I can see that.
My preferred method of watching Trek is to get in a chat with some friends or have them on some way or another and then we watch a few episodes until we get sick of it. This is a middle ground between "binge watch everything" which seems to be the modern prestige drama trend, OR the old "just put some poo poo on at random."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You heard that, eh? Why don't you try watching it for yourself?

I don't really have time to watch both series. Did I hear wrong? I mean TOS was where the idea of a "redshirt" came from.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't really have time to watch both series. Did I hear wrong? I mean TOS was where the idea of a "redshirt" came from.

Nope, you've got it right. TOS mowed down the extras without mercy.

Oh, away team consists of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and a security officer we've never seen before? RIP

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Nope, you've got it right. TOS mowed down the extras without mercy.

Oh, away team consists of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and a security officer we've never seen before? RIP

WEEELLLLSHYYYYY!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

WEEELLLLSHYYYYY!

?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

It's a reference to an animated show about a mediocre Caucasian male who thinks he's entitled to the affection of a cyclops

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheScott2K posted:

It's a reference to an animated show about a mediocre Caucasian male who thinks he's entitled to the affection of a cyclops

Specifically, an episode where he tracks down the disembodied heads belonging to the stars of a banned tv show

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So that episode definitely had the most feels yet but there was still a kind of stymied quality that kept me from getting all the way into it, and also a little bit of mood whiplash. The cinematography was interesting, I don't know who the director of photography was but they used a lot more tricks than usual like depth of field, foreground objects, closeups and artistic blocking. One moment I actually found funny, where Picard's head came into the frame closeup from below, it was kind of cartoonish or Monty Pythonesque.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've been re-reading the second half of The Fifty-Year Mission recently, and I had forgotten that Patrick Stewart left his wife and then he and Jennifer Hetrick got together during the shooting of Captain's Holiday. (And I think Stewart later broke the engagement with Hetrick, and married producer Wendy Neuss a few years later.)

So, it's not just TOS and DS9 that had rampant sex going on.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I'm not sure that specific example is very good, because wanting to finish your work is a different motivation than simply not wanting to die because you are afraid.

Your point in general stands, though. People certainly run screaming from the crystalline entity, for example.

There's a difference between fearing the existential inevitability of death and not wanting to be painfully vaporized right now by a space snowflake

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wheezle posted:

I still can't quite believe they're going with that hideous ship.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Whose idea was it to use that poo poo concept art anyways?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i just got to the ds9 episode where the cold open reveal is luxana(sp) is pregnant. first thought was, "odo prolly'd make a decent lover"

e: also is the sisko gene irresistible to women, how does jake constantly pull older women like this :wtc:
e2: also also how the hell is jake 'writing' on a padd that already has writing on it
e3: there's no way this woman isnt a weird musesuccubus alien
e4: CALLED IT

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 30, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

i just got to the ds9 episode where the cold open reveal is luxana(sp) is pregnant. first thought was, "odo prolly'd make a decent lover"

e: also is the sisko gene irresistible to women, how does jake constantly pull older women like this :wtc:
e2: also also how the hell is jake 'writing' on a padd that already has writing on it

This post was a journey :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

*writers behind ds9 s4e20*
so what if we had this attractive older woman stimulate jake enough he spews out waves of [CREATIVITY]

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 30, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If the captain gives the helmsman a destination, but not the speed, what is the default speed?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the captain gives the navigator a destination, but not the speed, what is the default speed?

Plot.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Say what you will about the other "bad episodes" of DS9 but "The Muse" is the loving worst. The Lwaxana plot is awful, Jake is awful, the alien bitch is awful, there's literally nothing you can say about this episode to redeem it except that it's forgettable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've done at least 5 complete watches of DS9 and I have no recollection of The Muse at all

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Zurui posted:

Say what you will about the other "bad episodes" of DS9 but "The Muse" is the loving worst. The Lwaxana plot is awful, Jake is awful, the alien bitch is awful, there's literally nothing you can say about this episode to redeem it except that it's forgettable.

I thought odo's speech was sweet but am much less keen on this skeevy may december romance. they try so hard to push him as a serious hard writer but keep dressing him like dj jazzy jeff

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zurui posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzlVpiypOM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I've been re-reading the second half of The Fifty-Year Mission recently, and I had forgotten that Patrick Stewart left his wife and then he and Jennifer Hetrick got together during the shooting of Captain's Holiday. (And I think Stewart later broke the engagement with Hetrick, and married producer Wendy Neuss a few years later.)

So, it's not just TOS and DS9 that had rampant sex going on.

And his current wife is literally half his age.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the captain gives the helmsman a destination, but not the speed, what is the default speed?

Ahead standard. :thejoke:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"Move Along Home" is goofy but charming and even if you hate it at least you remember it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zurui posted:

"Move Along Home" is goofy but charming and even if you hate it at least you remember it.

And it would have been a best-loved TOS episode. You could have Mudd take Quark's place.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

And his current wife is literally half his age.

What's the point of marrying if you're just gonna divorce for a newer model every ten years? I mean I understand why Trump does that, because you have to have a wife to be president, but an actor?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mister Kingdom posted:

However fast narratively they need to go, but if you need the in-universe answer...
[nerd] each class of ship has a standard or "cruising" speed, usually a few warp factors less than it's maximum possible speed. The Ent-D had a cruising speed of warp 6. Voyager, because their ship had to be faster had "a top sustainable cruise velocity of warp factor 9.975".
[/nerd]

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the point of marrying if you're just gonna divorce for a newer model every ten years? I mean I understand why Trump does that, because you have to have a wife to be president, but an actor?

Serial monogamy is a very common mating behavior among mammals and has been practiced by human societies basically since forever.

Permanent marriage as a social more is something that largely exists to keep families and communities together. It used to be that if someone walked away from their family, that was likely to destroy their livelihood and and cause upheaval in the community (still does, often enough). Most communities can't handle the fallout of deadbeat parents (usually men) leaving overworked spouses and unsupported dependants behind, so most major cultures/religions instituted rules saying, "you marry them, you're stuck with them."

It's always been a little different for the rich and powerful though, because they can afford to lose/keep supporting previous spouses, especially if there aren't kids involved. Love starts out as a crazy hormonal thing and then becomes about building a life together. If comaradery/mutual support isn't important/present enough for someone to stay "in love" with someone, they tend to move in to someone else (younger/prettier) who gets those hormones flowing again.

People who are madly in love generally have trouble accepting that that love will ever fade, so some people just keep getting married over and over because this time it will last forever.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I figured if everyone is liking live reports of Star Trek I might as well pop in to say I'm watching DS9 for the first time, and Elaine's Dad from Seinfeld showing up as an alien noble is really loving with my head. Even more than Australian Babu. But not as much as Garak saying "Tane" 800 times.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh my god, what does Malcom like to eat?! WHAT DOES HE LIKE?!

Oh and I guess some weird murder aliens with genuinely alien makeup for Trek.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Popular conception on the internet, sure. It happens a lot, but not as much as people remember (much like Kirk being a horn dog), and there are examples all across the range up to an episode that begins with an interrupted wedding and ends with a funeral. Then the one you noted is an exception even in TNG because that was the main driver of the plot for that one.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Popular conception on the internet, sure. It happens a lot, but not as much as people remember (much like Kirk being a horn dog), and there are examples all across the range up to an episode that begins with an interrupted wedding and ends with a funeral. Then the one you noted is an exception even in TNG because that was the main driver of the plot for that one.

I think it's something that was amplified by the iconic episodes that ran forever on syndication. The Man Trap, Devil in the Dark, Arena, the Changeling, and, especially, The Apple are all legendary for their body counts and also happen to be some of the better remembered episodes. Red shirt syndrome is very real, but people take it too literally. About half the episodes have some nothing character getting killed for cheap drama, and some episodes really skew the average, but plenty of episodes have a random crewman who doesn't get killed (like the blue shirt who's just sort of there in City on the Edge of Forever). Also, despite the name, most redshirts don't actually wear red shirts.

Kirk the horn dog is more a commentary on the sleazy producers (OK, mostly Roddenberry) and their absurd tendency to cast nubile early 20s types in tacky outfits and bad wigs for almost every female guest role. Kirk didn't actually fall in love with most of them (sometimes Spock or Bones or Scottie or Checkov did), but he got the most action by far. I mean he taught a green chick what kissing was and accidentally killed a robot through the power of love, so it's not like it's a totally baseless stereotype.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Are the hosts of Mission Log actually supported/paid for by Rod Roddenberry, or is that just a Greatest Generation joke? Because while I'm inclined to believe its a joke, holy crap ML is so milquetoast that I'm seriously consider removing it from my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi Trek thread!

British Columbia recently had an election, it was very close with the NDP (centre left) and Green (centre granola) narrowly edging out a 3 term corrupt right wing poo poo show (Liberals). For me though the issue most on my mind was of course Star Trek. Years ago, the leader of the NDP, the new leader of my province, said Janeway was his favourite captain. This really soured me on him and his party. Tonight I got a tip off of an unofficial celebration only an hour after him officially becoming the "Premier Elect" and crashed the party. I managed to get his ear and we had it out, it became a little heated so we had to take it outside onto the patio away from the politicos and press and really have it out. In the end I understand his attachment to Janeway and Voyager due to being raised by a single mom who he saw a lot of in Janeway despite the fact that she was not a mom and not a good captain, it's a strictly emotional attachment. And his ranking DS9 the lowest (even below Enterprise) was due to the fact that he just didn't watch it all the way through or sequentially and he got "confused" at the ongoing plot. He had no idea there was a pro-union episode. He had no idea there was a whole arc with the Ferrengi being introduced to women's rights and labour rights. As the leader of a party of social democrats who get a good chunk of their donations from labour he's really behooved to have a better appreciation of DS9 and it's themes and agreed to give the show another chance and a full run when he has the time, which might be soon because his government is incredibly unstable.

This is my trip report of getting one on one time with the newly elected leader of a Canadian province and using it to argue about Star Trek.