Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jesus Christ it just keeps going :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Jesus Christ it just keeps going :eyepop:

Yeeeaaah PHP is seriously and legitimately Just That Bad.

Personally it's the singular programming language I will never, ever touch. I'd write Assembly before I'd write PHP.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Assembly at least has the excuse of a few video games made of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Assembly at least has the excuse of a few video games made of it.

The only thing that makes Assembly painful is how incredibly tedious it is. It's really consistent in how it behaves it just takes for freaking ever to do anything.

PHP is just like...you write your code and hope for the best. Which never happens because you wrote your code in PHP.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Please stop.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SuddenExpire posted:

PHP is a great language if you dare to use it properly :getin:

Agreed. Use real modern PHP and a good framework, and its a great language for what's intended (server side programming)

Most people who HATE PHP barely knows it and keep complaining about functions nobody even uses anymore

It does have its design flaws, but I much rather write a REST API in PHP with a good framework than in java, python or C#. But then again, Ive been getting paid to write PHP for more than 10 years, so maybe Im biased, or maybe Im a terrible retarded programmer for not using a REAL language

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Elias_Maluco posted:

maybe Im a terrible retarded programmer for not using a REAL language

Admitting you have a problem is the first step ;)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Most people who HATE PHP barely knows it and keep complaining about functions nobody even uses anymore

rarely used functions, like the esoteric "=="

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hard to believe that post is more than five years old now :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My issue with PHP other than it being a terrible language?

I don't think any other server side language can just be as transparently mixed in with HTML as PHP can correct?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ratbert90 posted:

My issue with PHP other than it being a terrible language?

I don't think any other server side language can just be as transparently mixed in with HTML as PHP can correct?

ColdFusion (yes it's still around and yes it's much worse than PHP), ASP.NET, Classic ASP... I'm sure there are others.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GutBomb posted:

ColdFusion (yes it's still around and yes it's much worse than PHP), ASP.NET, Classic ASP... I'm sure there are others.

ColdFusion is garbage as you said.
ASP is Microsoft, which isn't so great for embedded Linux work. :smith:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GutBomb posted:

JSP, Karigell (Python), eRuby,

But why? In what server-side development context is a client-side view your fundamental unit of composition?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Hey group I know you're working on a few different things that we want done by the end of next week but here's something that we haven't even explored the possibility of making and may or may not be doable with your current architecture!!! No hard date to get it done but you have one month. Also here's a whole bunch of poo poo we want done in that time range too."

Eat my entire dick, gently caress you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Elias_Maluco posted:

Agreed. Use real modern PHP and a good framework, and its a great language for what's intended (server side programming)

It does have its design flaws, but I much rather write a REST API in PHP with a good framework than in java, python or C#. But then again, Ive been getting paid to write PHP for more than 10 years, so maybe Im biased, or maybe Im a terrible retarded programmer for not using a REAL language

Talk about the horrible things PHP has managed to fix all you want, it's still one of the worst possible server side programming languages you can pick. Why bother when C#, Java, NodeJS, Ruby(barf) are all way better, free, and cross platform?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Skandranon posted:

Talk about the horrible things PHP has managed to fix all you want, it's still one of the worst possible server side programming languages you can pick. Why bother when C#, Java, NodeJS, Ruby(barf) are all way better, free, and cross platform?

It's probably a combination of really old code-bases and people using what they know.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't really get why Ruby/Rails has such a bad reputation around here. From what I've seen of discussion here, I'm supposed to avoid it, but I don't see a major difference between it and other MVC frameworks.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Dev goons - How hosed am I if my new job (essentially head of product) has a completely bespoke stack built in Groovy (Grails) and no real documentation and the developers are in an Eastern European country

My initial thought is "pretty hosed"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really get why Ruby/Rails has such a bad reputation around here. From what I've seen of discussion here, I'm supposed to avoid it, but I don't see a major difference between it and other MVC frameworks.

It's a dead platform. Very few new projects use it, meaning you're stuck doing maintenance work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's a dead platform. Very few new projects use it, meaning you're stuck doing maintenance work.

True. I don't see it being the new hotness at all. The idea that I'd only be doing maintenance work worries me a bit, but I'm also aware that I need to focus more on good mentorship and self-growth. I just don't wanna end up pidgeonholing myself into Ruby/Rails :downs:

The recruiter I spoke to yesterday implied that what I should do is continue to build and get experience in the tech I've used commercially, i.e. focus on getting good at Rails cause that's what companies wanna see. I'm not so sure that's where I wanna go, but I naturally distrust recruiters anyway.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

The technology isn't so bad (better than PHP!), but the culture around it is very insular. And it's strong point was always that it was free, which it no longer the case with NodeJS eating it on the free end and .NET Core/Java eating it on the enterprise end. Future is not great for Ruby, do not invest in it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pollyanna posted:

Rails applications of any significant size are basically impossible to debug, and perform in production like they're still running under a debugger.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I still use Rails for plenty of new stuff. I try to stick to a policy of only using one new piece of technology per project, and there are plenty of more interesting components than just the backend application framework. I think there's a good amount of confirmation bias going on with people who say that Rails is "dead". Hacker News has moved on, sure, and there are plenty of hotter options. But remember that Rails is just one piece of an application. It's still a great option for building new things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Right, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to move away from Rails work. The feedback I got yesterday implied that I was only able to claim skills for Rails because it and JS are the bulk of my commercial/resume-backed experience, as opposed to personal learning of Elixir (and Phoenix) and Clojure, so I was wondering how I move away from it if it's most of what I have proven myself to do. But I guess that I mostly do React now, so I might already be on my way.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Skandranon posted:

Ruby gets a "(barf)" but not Node.js? JavaScript isn't even designed to be running server-side, and is covered in stupid language warts.

Pollyanna posted:

The recruiter I spoke to yesterday implied that what I should do is continue to build and get experience in the tech I've used commercially, i.e. focus on getting good at Rails cause that's what companies wanna see. I'm not so sure that's where I wanna go, but I naturally distrust recruiters anyway.

Being good at something is important. Best is if you're good at something highly in-demand. Worst is if you're inexperienced at 200 different things. Being good at something unpopular is in the middle.

A good PHP developer gets plenty of jobs even if everyone makes fun of PHP (and they can use those jobs to creep into new technologies). Someone who knows how to do "hello world" in Go, Rust, Elixir, and Julia but can't design a complete application in any of them is not going anywhere.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mniot posted:

Ruby gets a "(barf)" but not Node.js? JavaScript isn't even designed to be running server-side, and is covered in stupid language warts.

Well, I forgive Node for a lot of that because I use JavaScript a lot these days. However, if something was really important, I would not use it over C#. Maybe Java.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Clamps McGraw posted:

Dev goons - How hosed am I if my new job (essentially head of product) has a completely bespoke stack built in Groovy (Grails) and no real documentation and the developers are in an Eastern European country

My initial thought is "pretty hosed"

it depends. if they listen to you you'll probably be fine. no documentation is a bad signal but it's pretty typical in the industry

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The feedback I got yesterday implied that I was only able to claim skills for Rails because it and JS are the bulk of my commercial/resume-backed experience, as opposed to personal learning of Elixir (and Phoenix) and Clojure.

By completely ignoring your recruiter's :downs: implication.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

geeves posted:

By completely ignoring your recruiter's :downs: implication.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mniot posted:

Being good at something is important. Best is if you're good at something highly in-demand. Worst is if you're inexperienced at 200 different things. Being good at something unpopular is in the middle.

A good PHP developer gets plenty of jobs even if everyone makes fun of PHP (and they can use those jobs to creep into new technologies). Someone who knows how to do "hello world" in Go, Rust, Elixir, and Julia but can't design a complete application in any of them is not going anywhere.

When I first heard about Node my immediate response was a horrified "WHAT?!? Why? Why would anybody want that?" I guess there's something to be said about the front end and back end being in the same language but...ugh. I only use JavaScript if I have to. It's tolerable for simple front end stuff but I by no means would ever want to build an actual application in it.

PHP is terrible but it still runs like half of the internet. That's probably partly inertia; it came out in 1995.

Personally I just wish that C# was more popular. I really like C# but I do Java for a living right now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally I just wish that C# was more popular. I really like C# but I do Java for a living right now.

You will hate it once you see the ecosystem around it. The package manager is a joke, the build system is completely brain dead, the libraries (as few as they are) are ... written by toddlers or ask a bazillion $ if they got a grown-up in there somewhere and Microsoft itself is doing their best to destroy the will to live of any developer crazy enough to try out their platform (they're clearly winning this game against Oracle, not that Oracle is not trying too).
Compared to Java, the .NET platform is a mess, to put it lightly. C# as a language ... yes, is fine. The rest isn't.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PHP type comparison tables

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Volguus posted:

You will hate it once you see the ecosystem around it. The package manager is a joke, the build system is completely brain dead, the libraries (as few as they are) are ... written by toddlers or ask a bazillion $ if they got a grown-up in there somewhere and Microsoft itself is doing their best to destroy the will to live of any developer crazy enough to try out their platform (they're clearly winning this game against Oracle, not that Oracle is not trying too).
Compared to Java, the .NET platform is a mess, to put it lightly. C# as a language ... yes, is fine. The rest isn't.

Yeah as much as I prefer C# to Java as a language I have to admit the 80 trillion free and useful Java libraries are an incredible perk.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rails is cool and good, and I use it to contribute big features to a growing product. I'm nowhere near maintenance mode.

I dunno where the hate comes from. Performance doesn't seem like an issue, but it may be the number of transactions im dealing with. Other than that, it's one of the best languages and platforms ive used.

The ecosystem around it is great too, community seems mature and the style convention's make it really easy to work in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find Rails tends to encourage a monolithic architecture, which makes for an app that's a motherfucker to break apart when it becomes complex, which you will eventually need to if it keeps growing. Its relatively poor performance also means that you'll sooner reach the threshold where microservices start to look really appealing. Slow monoliths are a perfect fit for prototypes, however, and getting something easy to understand up and running very quickly is what Rails excels at for many other reasons as well.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I'm saying that the recruiter implying that only being able to claim knowledge you gain in a work setting being valuable is laughable.

So you have to come correct. If you go home at night and tinker and write (for example) a wordpress competitor with Elixir/Phoenix and Clojure that's really solid, that's all in your favor. You've done enough with them that you can speak intelligently about them. I would't hesitate for a second to list a side project on my resume with something that I wanted to do or enjoyed using.

Working with Rails/Ruby and JS in an enterprise setting gives you the experience for how to develop in an enterprise setting with a team. Language starts to become arbitrary.

In the end, either you know something or you don't. It's all part of the game.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
It's been a long day and I need to take a minute to vent.

For the past year or so we've been moving away from Postgres to Solr, a change which I was rather opposed to. It has turned out... okay. More and more, though, our application feels like it's built upon twigs. We've removed what I think was a good, solid foundation made of concrete, with solid iron IO pipes and instead taped on this popsicle stick Solr thing which is connected with leaky plastic tubes. Fortunately for me, I can mostly ignore the horrifying thing that our application has become and I can focus on more interesting things like research. However, as I've been the only backend dev on staff the past couple of weeks, I've been unable to avoid the unpleasant reality.

I've spent three solid days trying to figure out why this HTTP call to Solr's ELB is failing.

OPS insists that the nodes are fine and the ELB is performing as expected.

The calls fail intermittently. Same code. Same call. Intermittent failure. Fire ten of the same request, get back 2 replies and 8 400-errors. They say they don't see the timeouts.

If I switch things up and point them at a node directly instead of the load balancer, all the requests magically work. Between that and the intermittent nature of the failure, it seemed pretty compelling evidence that there was something FUBAR'd with the load balancer. Again, though, OPS is very insistent it's fine and the problem is in our application.

I can suck it up, bite my tongue, and try to find someone that will work with me. Today, though, all the Solr cloud instances went down. Again. In all our applications.

I'm out of ideas on how to approach this. I have the result traced to a single line in our code: where we make the POST request. It happens with CURL, too, but they say the problem is in our app.

:sigh: I'm dancing the line between wrathfully angry and completely out of energy.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

unfortunately it's gone from a technical problem to a social problem. if a correctly formatted post done with curl reproduces the failure, then obviously the issue is not in your code - so all you can do is figure out how best to convince people of this. having siloed ops divisions sucks.. is it a situation where you can tell your manager "my work is blocked by these people, could you organise a meeting for us to communicate and resolve it"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Jo posted:

:sigh: I'm dancing the line between wrathfully angry and completely out of energy.

You sound burned out, tread carefully. For your health.