Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

iajanus posted:

It is summer in December, and (although I've picked it up reasonably recently) it's still bizarre to me that other places don't have the same understanding of what constitutes seasons (eg. in Australia summer is strictly defined as 1/12-28/2, autumn is 1/3-31/5, etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season#Australasian_seasons). It seems such a fundamental thing that's drilled into you as a kid that it's mindboggling that there's any other way of thinking about it.

:psyduck:

I never realised other nations don't have their seasons start on a fixed date like Australia does.

Like, obviously we don't expect it to start being cold and rainy as soon as June 1st hits, but that's when winter 'officially' starts and I just assumed that in the Northern Hemisphere everyone knew that for them, June 1st is when summer officially starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bewilderment posted:

I never realised other nations don't have their seasons start on a fixed date like Australia does.

Like, obviously we don't expect it to start being cold and rainy as soon as June 1st hits, but that's when winter 'officially' starts and I just assumed that in the Northern Hemisphere everyone knew that for them, June 1st is when summer officially starts.

Yep; I only inferred that from other posters here a few months ago and it confused the hell out of me.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

YYZ posted:

In '6 Foot 7 Foot' by Lil Wayne, the line: "bitch, real Gs move in silence like lasagna"

Because the G in lasagna is silent. Christ it's taken me like 6 years to realise this isn't just random gibberish

That's nonsense tho, the Italian gn is a palatalized nn. This Lil Wayne character seems somewhat uneducated.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

bewilderment posted:

The US doesn't have fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, but only because they're defined as starting on the solstices and equinoxes- March 20, June 21, September 22, and December 21 this year.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only Korea has 4 seasons, did you know? And lakes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Summer starts when the daily average temperature is over 10 degrees.

e: Or maybe it's mean temperature who knows I'm not a mathmo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Fizbin posted:

The US doesn't have fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, but only because they're defined as starting on the solstices and equinoxes- March 20, June 21, September 22, and December 21 this year.

See that just seems disorganised and messy.

Is there some weird connection between this and the countries' usage of metric/imperial measurements? Sources say: probably not.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Baronjutter posted:

Only Korea has 4 seasons, did you know? And lakes.

this man has done his homework

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jerry Cotton posted:

Summer starts when the daily average temperature is over 10 degrees.

e: Or maybe it's mean temperature who knows I'm not a mathmo.

Mean is a type of average. What you said amounts to "bill eats fruit in the summer. E: or maybe it's apples bill eats in the summer, I'm not a botanisto."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Iron Crowned posted:

The school year in the USA is basically based upon farm work
They actually covered this on the latest Cracked podcast, and they said that's not true. It's based on it being too hot in poorly-insulated, un-air-conditioned school buildings in the summer. Before it was standardised, schools in America ran for most of the year and kids would just show up when they weren't busy with something else (like working). When they standardised it, the rural people wanted the holidays to coincide with when they needed their kids to be available for farm work, but the cities overruled them and made summer the holidays.

EmmyOk posted:

Surely it starts at the same time everywhere but rather than a certain date it starts when summer ends and ends when summer starts. In Oz it's summer during December etc. right?
The summer holidays in Australia start just before Christmas and last for five weeks. Then there are three two-week breaks throughout the year (in April, July and September). So we get almost a month of summer before the holidays start and another month of summer once they're over. What the actual weather's doing during that period kind of depends on which part of the country you live in.

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

That's nonsense tho, the Italian gn is a palatalized nn. This Lil Wayne character seems somewhat uneducated.
He's speaking English though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fizbin posted:

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period; the common understanding of seasons beginning on the solstices and equinoxes is drawn from astrology. The period between the June solstice and the September equinox is referred to as "summer" in astronomy for convenience, and likewise September-December as "autumn", etc., and as astrology (that is, tacky dollar-store knock-off astronomy) gained popularity in the 60s, so did its seasonal definitions.

Likewise, June 1-August 31 "summer", etc. are meteorological conveniences.

Before the 20th century we'd have been laughed at for saying summer begins in June; the traditional holiday three weeks into June is Midsummer, after all.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

And businesses (retail, hotels, etc.) tend to define summer as Memorial Day weekend (last weekend of May) through Labor Day (first weekend of September), but using regional holidays is obviously even dumber than using the solstice.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Besesoth posted:

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period; the common understanding of seasons beginning on the solstices and equinoxes is drawn from astrology. The period between the June solstice and the September equinox is referred to as "summer" in astronomy for convenience, and likewise September-December as "autumn", etc., and as astrology (that is, tacky dollar-store knock-off astronomy) gained popularity in the 60s, so did its seasonal definitions.

Likewise, June 1-August 31 "summer", etc. are meteorological conveniences.

Before the 20th century we'd have been laughed at for saying summer begins in June; the traditional holiday three weeks into June is Midsummer, after all.

But astrology aside, aren't the equinoxes the actual points in our orbit around the sun where the northern and southern hemisphere are getting the same amount of light, and the one is going to get colder and the other warmer? It makes far more sense to me to define the seasons by that. And I'm Australian

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Equinoxes and solstices are just to do with the length of the day. Equi-nox = equal night. Sol-stice = sun still (the sun's declination appears to stay in place instead of getting lower or higher, like it had been for the last three months).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think the lack of rigid season dates is because there's nothing tied directly to the seasons here, they're just kind of a background thing. Hell, we don't even have an official harvest festival day which seems weird since it's such an agrarian country

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The US is old and used to be a farming country. Of course it uses equinoxes and solstices.

If seasons based on the sun blows your mind wait until you find out how months happened.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Everyone knows months are based on the sex lives of moths.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kazil posted:

The US is old

Europe posted:

lol

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyperlynx posted:

But astrology aside, aren't the equinoxes the actual points in our orbit around the sun where the northern and southern hemisphere are getting the same amount of light, and the one is going to get colder and the other warmer? It makes far more sense to me to define the seasons by that. And I'm Australian

Sure, but that's what I mean by an "astronomical convenience"; I'm not sure how much sense it makes in the everyday world to define "summer" as "the part of the year when it starts getting colder and darker". ;)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I knew some jackass would pick up on this. Old fashioned? The US has been pretty much constant since the writing and ratification of the constitution. Many countries in Europe changed significantly following Napoleon and the World Wars. That's why everyone there uses metric and doesn't build their entire system around harvesting crops.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Summer officially starts on June 21st here...at least, I thought I was, now I'm wondering if it doesn't change from year to year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure Summer officially starts on June 21st here...at least, I thought I was, now I'm wondering if it doesn't change from year to year.

We mark the change of the seasons by the solstices and equinoxes because it's easy to do. Longest day? Summer starts! Shortest day? Winter starts! Day and night are equal? It's either Fall or Spring now!

Meteorologically there are 6 recognizable seasons, the missing two are early spring and late summer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The very top end of Australia is near-equatorial tropics so they really only have the wet/monsoon season and the dry season. The indigenous population had their own seasons:

quote:

For the Jawoyn people, from around Katherine near south east Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory, six seasons are described in the tropical zone in which they live:

- January–February: Summer (temperate zone), Wet (tropical zone), Jiorrk, the wet season
- March: Autumn (temperate zone), Wet(tropical zone) Bungarung, the end of the rains
- April–May: Autumn (temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone) Jungalk, the hot start of the dry
- June–July–August: Winter(temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone), Malaparr, the cooler, dry
- September–October: Spring (temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone), Worrwopmi, the humid time
- November–December: Spring/Summer (temperate zone), Wet (tropical zone), Wakaringding, the first rains

Wakaringding is a great word for a season, I wish we had Wakaringding down here in the south.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Besesoth posted:

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period;

I live in the US and my calendar has a "first day of Spring" on it. :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

rydiafan posted:

I live in the US and my calendar has a "first day of Spring" on it. :shrug:

Yes because the first day of spring is the spring equinox. A day that is predictable but not the same date every year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kazil posted:

I knew some jackass would pick up on this. Old fashioned? The US has been pretty much constant since the writing and ratification of the constitution. Many countries in Europe changed significantly following Napoleon and the World Wars. That's why everyone there uses metric and doesn't build their entire system around harvesting crops.

No they use metric because they are old and therefore don't feel the need to cling to every little bit of "history" like America. :smugmrgw:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The very top end of Australia is near-equatorial tropics so they really only have the wet/monsoon season and the dry season. The indigenous population had their own seasons:

Wakaringding is a great word for a season, I wish we had Wakaringding down here in the south.

It's wakaringding right now in Perth.
First real rain of winter and it's been pouring it down all day. I feel sorry for the guys at the local park playing club footy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Equinoxes and solstices are just to do with the length of the day. Equi-nox = equal night. Sol-stice = sun still (the sun's declination appears to stay in place instead of getting lower or higher, like it had been for the last three months).
Right, but think about why the length of the day is the way it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox posted:

An equinox is the moment in which the plane of Earth's equator passes through the center of the Sun's disk,[2] which occurs twice each year, around 20 March and 23 September.

On an equinox, day and night are of approximately equal duration all over the planet. They are not exactly equal, however, due to the angular size of the sun and atmospheric refraction. To avoid this ambiguity, the word equilux is sometimes (but rarely) used to mean a day in which the durations of light and darkness are equal.[3][note 1] See Length of equinoctial day and night for further discussion.

Besesoth posted:

Sure, but that's what I mean by an "astronomical convenience"; I'm not sure how much sense it makes in the everyday world to define "summer" as "the part of the year when it starts getting colder and darker". ;)

Huh? No, I'd call that "mid autumn". I'd go with the solstices and equinoxes being the middles of their seasons.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The start dates only shift a day or two in the U.S. For instance, Summer always starts June 20-22

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My mother in law thought LOL meant Lots Of Love so we'd get text messages like 'Grandma has taken a turn for the worse LOL'

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Sentient Data posted:

I think the lack of rigid season dates is because there's nothing tied directly to the seasons here, they're just kind of a background thing. Hell, we don't even have an official harvest festival day which seems weird since it's such an agrarian country

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

InediblePenguin posted:

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival

Halloween was also originally a pagan harvest festival (which is why it features pumpkins and apples and other food so heavily) until it got hijacked by Christians and turned into a remembrance of the dead dealie.

Maybe Sentient Data is Australian? We don't really have a harvest festival here. People are starting to celebrate Halloween in Oz but there's still a lot of pushback against it for being "too American" and "just another over-commodified holiday" but mostly because Australians are lovely parochial fun-haters.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

but they said they don't have rigid season dates where they are, in a conversation which began by noting that Australia has rigid season dates

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh yeah.

In that case I have no idea.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, I'm from the states, I just said "official" since thanksgiving was taught more as a "don't be racist to natives" day when I was a kid

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

they probably change the messaging at different times and places, i guess -- when I was a kid the imagery was 90% harvest (cornucopias etc) with 10% "pilgrims and stereotype indians" tossed in for garnish v(._.)v

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, I'm from the states, I just said "official" since thanksgiving was taught more as a "don't be racist to natives" day when I was a kid

You're crazy then, Thanksgiving is celebrated nation-wide and is an obvious harvest festival.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We were taught in school that it's when all the monsters came out so you had to dress up as a monster to blend in so they wouldn't eat the harvest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EmmyOk posted:

We were taught in school that it's when all the monsters came out so you had to dress up as a monster to blend in so they wouldn't eat the harvest.

They're called Native Americans, please show some respect

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not American you daft racist