Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Whoops meant ETS. PCS happened too but that was my last unit and that was a whole other level of retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
My last drill was a few days before the end of my entire contract. That was the chillest drill weekend ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just a reminder if you need to get a whole company to do their Cyber Awareness training (the long video game annual one) without pencil whipping or cheating, they can take the test here without watching the videos.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Being given a recovery checklist broken down by day from higher is straight up micromanaging bullshit. Just give us a list of poo poo, when it needs to be done by and let us figure out how to get it done.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Being given a recovery checklist broken down by day from higher is straight up micromanaging bullshit. Just give us a list of poo poo, when it needs to be done by and let us figure out how to get it done.

lol recovery checklists are THE WORST. Especially when there is one item left on the checklist and the only person/equipment/whatever that can do it won't be available for hours, so you all just sit around waiting on said bespoke checklist item.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The worst part of recovery is weapons cleaning. gently caress you I didn't even fire.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

lol recovery checklists are THE WORST. Especially when there is one item left on the checklist and the only person/equipment/whatever that can do it won't be available for hours, so you all just sit around waiting on said bespoke checklist item.

you mean like when the supply guy had to go home across town an hour each way to get something that was paramount to turning whatever stupid poo poo in to him

but i'm doing 472 pushups because i left my BFA in my barracks room, a two minute walk each way

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mustang posted:

At least your recovery time line doesn't involve everyone working Saturday and Sunday next week! A month in the field, 4 day weekend, then another 10 straight days of work because gently caress you we're bad at planning.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

The worst part of recovery is weapons cleaning. gently caress you I didn't even fire.

i was amazingly strict with my own personal ROE during training with blanks

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Property layouts, TA 50 layouts, roll up/tricon cleaning and 1750 updates all in one day is loving dumb and obviously wasn't thought through by whoever made this dumb list

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Property layouts, TA 50 layouts, roll up/tricon cleaning and 1750 updates all in one day is loving dumb and obviously wasn't thought through by whoever made this dumb list

Aren't you a platoon leader?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Pulling a 3 AM shift during STX was always a great time to ditch all of your blanks in the bushes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

That's yer problem right there: you thought there was thinkin' done.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Aren't you a platoon leader?

Yes

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I make sure to loudly exclaim "THIS IS AN ILLEGAL WAR" and that Im a conscientious objector during blank training and give away my mags because people think shooting blanks is fun. Don't get it.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

So why does this matter to you? Sit in the office, surf facebook and wait until the lowly enlisted finish everything so you can go home.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

So why does this matter to you? Sit in the office, surf facebook and wait until the lowly enlisted finish everything so you can go home.

I used to help out with recovery because it was a good way to hide from people looking for me to submit power point slides.

maffew buildings posted:

I make sure to loudly exclaim "THIS IS AN ILLEGAL WAR" and that Im a conscientious objector during blank training and give away my mags because people think shooting blanks is fun. Don't get it.

Shooting blanks is fun, but spending 4 hours trying to clean an M16 that served in Panama after firing said blanks negates whatever fun may have previously occurred.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

maffew buildings posted:

When I knew I was being watched I'd keep the ones on my vest mostly empty but fill the ones in my bag or pouch and just huck those at others when they go dry while never firing the drat things if I could help it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

X is fun, Y Army poo poo negates whatever fun may have previously occurred.

Can just mad lib this part here and cover like 90% of it all really

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I sure am glad it's super necessary to handwalk orders and clearing paper to multiple agencies I've never spoken to until I was trying to leave. I assume they all just toss said orders before maybe actually signing me out.

The dumbest part is that most of the clearing Nazis don't even have their heart in being jerks and are just following some other civilian's policy from that one time someone did something dumb that maybe 8 more steps of clearing might've caught.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That sounds awful. You guys that are still in should really get out. Did you know in the private sector when you quit your job you only have to fill out about 3 pieces of paper and hand them in to one person? And nobody has to sign off on anything before you can stop showing up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some places don't even care if you smoke weed, or about anything you do in your off time! :stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Some places don't even care if you smoke weed, or about anything you do in your off time! :stare:

Or if they do it's cool just like don't be dumb about it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I sure am glad it's super necessary to handwalk orders and clearing paper to multiple agencies I've never spoken to until I was trying to leave. I assume they all just toss said orders before maybe actually signing me out.

The dumbest part is that most of the clearing Nazis don't even have their heart in being jerks and are just following some other civilian's policy from that one time someone did something dumb that maybe 8 more steps of clearing might've caught.

My father cleared out of the Army at Fort Lewis, WA in 70 after a year long tour in Vietnam. A slick sleeve LT made him go cut his hair before he would sign off on his discharge papers.

Welp, that's my discharge story til next year (when it'll be me).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Weird, officers are usually the worst when it comes to needing hair cuts

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Weird, officers are usually the worst when it comes to needing hair cuts

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

spacetoaster posted:

My father cleared out of the Army at Fort Lewis, WA in 70 after a year long tour in Vietnam. A slick sleeve LT made him go cut his hair before he would sign off on his discharge papers.

Welp, that's my discharge story til next year (when it'll be me).
I'm glad that we've since neutered Lieutenants.

Imagine just how much more retarded the Army would be if they had any real authority.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Naked Bear posted:

I'm glad that we've since neutered Lieutenants.

Who do we have to convince to make this happen for real? Maybe if nobles can't procreate we can get rid of them entirely.

Granted it would save a ton of paperwork if it happened to all lower enlisted too so let's just get it happening all around.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just lower enlisted? Not the senior NCO's that have huge sticks up their asses about poo poo like lawn maintenance, stupid looking haircuts, and hands in your pockets?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Figure if you get them while they're young the older ones will die off on their own.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Just sterilize anyone who serves beyond their initial contract. If you can't figure out it's a poo poo show during your first few years, you shouldn't be able to procreate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasn't marriage banned for junior enlisted back before WW2?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

psydude posted:

Not banned, but they had to get their commander's permission, at least in the late 19th century.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I don't think so. They just managed to ban officers sleeping with enlisted soldiers only recently.

When I was an LT the officer's clubs still had signs out front that read: "Officers and enlisted females only."

Good times.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Marriage is still banned for cadets at all the academies. They still enforce it, but it would never survive a court challenge, and nobody seems willing to become a test case. Any time it comes up they just sweep it under the rug rather than risk having to officially allow marriages.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Marriage is still banned for cadets at all the academies. They still enforce it, but it would never survive a court challenge, and nobody seems willing to become a test case. Any time it comes up they just sweep it under the rug rather than risk having to officially allow marriages.

Has nobody ever showed up already married? I never saw it, but when I went through we had several "older" cadets (26 or so).

*edit* And it's Friday! Let's crash the network servers on post so we can go home early!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxMXDIzSCI

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My basic CO ordered some dude not to get married during the basic/ait long weekend break, but he did anyway. He wanted to stitch him up for it but it never went anywhere.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

My basic CO ordered some dude not to get married during the basic/ait long weekend break, but he did anyway. He wanted to stitch him up for it but it never went anywhere.

The number of commanders who make up some fake rule or authority then get loving clowned when they can't enforce it will never cease to amaze me.

Last I checked years ago, ROTC and academy cadets had to get a waiver to join if they already had dependents. Saw several with valid waivers. Also saw a guy get forced out of his commission and sent back to his guard unit as an E-4 when they discovered he'd been lying and had a kid he stopped paying child support for. Not a good look to have your baby mama in the commandant's office with a toddler yelling about child support two months before you commission. He was a douchebag anyway, so screw him.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I don't think ROTC cares. I went to a green to gold heavy school and most of us had dependents. Hell we had one guy with 4 kids with 4 women that was constantly getting his baby mammas trying to get more child support from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It makes sense when you consider the Army has an actual obligation during deployments to help a soldier figure out what they're doing with their kid(s). Because you know if the Army didn't literally force some people to ask an ex or their parents to watch their 9 year old, then it would be bad.