Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It seems like anticipating a certain degree of obfuscation and just being able to enjoy the weirdness in the moment is the key to enjoying David Lynch films. I was curious if there was a "secret" to Lost Highway, but now that I've heard it I think I might just be too dumb.

Lost Highway is great because every time I watch it, it solidifies in my mind more and all gels better and just makes a lot of sense to me, but not in an epiphany AHA! moment or a "key" that opens the door of understanding. It just makes sense in a way that's hard to articulate.

Whereas Mulholland Drive does have an Aha! moment, a literal key, and can be articulated. I'd say watch LH, MD, and IH at least twice and then look up interpretations. It's legitimately more fun to just figure them out yourself, that's the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Stephen King described certain books he likes (namely Blood Meridian) in a way that's apt to David Lynch. They're like some of your favourite songs. You may not know all the lyrics, or even understand the lyrics, but you can still feel it and "get" it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's one of those movies that actually really simple that fools you into thinking they'res more to it than what's there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
David Lynch is to film as Michael Stipe is to lyrics. You don't know what the gently caress he's saying, but you know it makes you feel a certain way.

I also tend to think Lynch falls more on the side of Dada than anything else.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
His biggest hero as a painter is Frances Bacon, you can extrapolate most things about Lynch from that.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Mulholland Drive was the movie that really clued me into what Lynch's movies were about. Before that I liked them just because they were sort of weird and incomprehensible. Eraserhead gave me nightmares for many years. But MD, with the keys in the DVD, showed me that he does have some vague intent. There's a story there for all his movies, but you need to unlock it. But even if you can't unlock it, there is a lot there about just evoking emotion outside of any narrative. That's the biggest thing with Inland Empire for me. For the most part it doesn't make any sense as far as story, but it brings up some emotions and feeling on a dream/nightmare level. Some people will just brush it off because there's no real story. Other people will brush off that there's no real story and get overwhelmed by the feeling.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Showtime has been playing Lynch movies non stop this month since they premiered the new show (which is loving amazing) and every night I come home it's a drugged out haze of Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Fire Walk With Me, and a sprinkling of the new and old Twin Peaks episodes.

I feel like I'm in one of those "you nut but she still sucking" memes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 26, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

I swear when I first saw the film this scene was in there, but now it seems like its only in the Missing Pieces?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
LOST HIGHWAY is about the OJ Simpson case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Starring, oddly enough, Robert Blake.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm 90% sure Lost Highway was inspired by Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour and hell the lead actor of that murdered his wife too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For Lynch fans who just subscribed to Showtime (I imagine that's most of us), they have The Straight Story available, but only until the end of May, so a few more days. That's one of the only Lynch movies I've still never seen, so I will be sure to watch.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Watching The Straight Story after having seen most other David Lynch films is completely surreal and really demonstrates how good it is, I think. Seeing the opening titles read 'Disney pictures presents.... a film by David Lynch" is great just by itself.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Holy gently caress I am loving the new series of Twin Peaks so much.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Holy gently caress I am loving the new series of Twin Peaks so much.

The reason for that is because it totally loving rules. And it's about the bunny.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus the series feels like a playground for the Lynch fan, feels more akin to his movies than the first series. Which makes sense, and for me is a good thing (although I love the original series too).

Rewatched Lost Highway the other day, still great stuff, was my #1 fav for years. Nice that a lot of his movies are hitting indie theaters again lately too, got to see Blue Velvet on the big screen.

More movies need Rammstein.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The most recent episode of Twin Peaks may be the most David Lynchiest thing that David Lynch has ever done.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

this

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I'm 90% sure Lost Highway was inspired by Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour and hell the lead actor of that murdered his wife too.

people always say this which is understandable but for me its biggest and clearest influences are vertigo and kiss me deadly. its also worth noting that something wild (1986) is essentially the midpoint between vertigo and lost highway

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cacator posted:

The most recent episode of Twin Peaks may be the most David Lynchiest thing that David Lynch has ever done.

It's like David Lynch made a nightmare-universe version of Tree of Life. Or maybe 2001. I don't know if this episode clarified or muddied whatever understanding of this show's mythology I had before.

I do know this: that soot-hobo laid down a pretty sick Leonard Cohen track in that radio station.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Twin Peaks: Now We Are All Sons of Bitches

Nroo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 26, 2017

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

call for help

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Xealot posted:

It's like David Lynch made a nightmare-universe version of Tree of Life. Or maybe 2001.

Detected some Cremaster Cycle in there too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

people always say this which is understandable but for me its biggest and clearest influences are vertigo and kiss me deadly. its also worth noting that something wild (1986) is essentially the midpoint between vertigo and lost highway
I can see the Vertigo relation (And it seems I'll have to check out this Something Wild movie now), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts in regards to Kiss Me Deadly and Lost Highway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Kiss Me Deadly owns.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I can see the Vertigo relation (And it seems I'll have to check out this Something Wild movie now), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts in regards to Kiss Me Deadly and Lost Highway.

some significant imagery and situations are echoed: the openings (except of course lost highway shoots it with a subjective camera), nick the mechanic stuff, the exploding cabin. lost highway subsumes the sort of freefall narrative and morally desolate setting of kiss me deadly into fred's mind. both essentially depict noir masculinity at its most savage, and to me its always felt like lost highway fits into the same place in its respective canon (80s/90s neo-noir) as the most hysterical and nihilistic (i.e. double indemnity:body heat :: kiss me deadly:lost highway)

lynch makes his connection to kiss me deadly even more apparent in mulholland dr with the blue box

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love Lost Highway and Kiss Me Deadly. Random note, Lynch fans might have fun with Red Rock West which I dig. A bit pulpy/neo-noir, and has cast from several David Lynch things with Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Love Lost Highway and Kiss Me Deadly. Random note, Lynch fans might have fun with Red Rock West which I dig. A bit pulpy/neo-noir, and has cast from several David Lynch things with Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, and Lara Flynn Boyle.

I actually just watched this for the first time and it's definitely dope as hell.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Haven't seen it in almost 20 years, but it's a great neo-noir. The late, great JT Walsh is in it too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just saw a trailer for Lucky, which should appeal to several here. I got a Straight Story vibe from it (but quirkier), and it stars Harry Dean Stanton. David Lynch acts in it too!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/harry-dean-stanton-david-lynch-lucky-trailer.html

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

At the very least you should watch up until half way through season 2, at the point where there's a big reveal about what happened to Laura. It kinda takes a nosedive in quality for a little while after that (do not feel bad about fast forwarding through basically any scene with James in it) and there's an abruptly introduced new 'villain' who is pretty drat stupid, though the finale is incredible and really, really should be watched.

If you watch FWWM without at least watching up to the big reveal in the series, you will probably regret it. A big part of the appeal of FWWM, for me at least, is how very different it is from the series. All the charm, quirkiness and loveable nature is just shot to pieces, and you're left with a bleak, miserable and often terrifying view of the town you've grown to love - because now you're seeing it from Laura's point of view.

Ok I'm at episode 3 of season 2 and things are different and weird. Different in a bad way with a lot more comedy but the weird is good. Thinking i'm gonna wait til the reveal then watch the movie, maybe watching a summary of the rest of season 2. Anticipating the movie so such if what I saw in episode 2 is a preview of the movie.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

RBX posted:

Ok I'm at episode 3 of season 2 and things are different and weird. Different in a bad way with a lot more comedy but the weird is good. Thinking i'm gonna wait til the reveal then watch the movie, maybe watching a summary of the rest of season 2. Anticipating the movie so such if what I saw in episode 2 is a preview of the movie.

at least watch the season 2 finale as well, lynch directed it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

You'll be missing out on a lot of things by skipping that last...2 or 3 episodes from S2, since you'll have no context for who Annie is. Also, S3 has incorporated a lot of stuff you'll be skipping.

If it helps, you can safely skip any scene with James after the reveal, but I honestly don't recommend skipping any episode.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok i'll watch it all, I trust both of you that its worth it. Gonna be another couple days.

Oh and Jesus James is already pushing my patience with these scenes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

Ok i'll watch it all, I trust both of you that its worth it. Gonna be another couple days.

Oh and Jesus James is already pushing my patience with these scenes.

There are going to be plot-lines that are grating, but every episode has legitimately worthwhile moments. Some of my favorite TV moments and best instances of comedy are from Season 2 after the reveal.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah they're dumb as hell but i like confederate larping, miss twinpeaks, david duchovony, etc.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was going to say that the stupid paternity plot line was a huge waste of time but even that tangentially has a most wonderful payoff in season 3 :allears:

Now the James Hurley and the lonely housewife story, that was a huge waste of time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Holy loving poo poo.

That....screaming....will stay with me for awhile. Creepiest poo poo i've seen in awhile. How the gently caress is the 3rd season even....I don't know. I'm about to watch the movie. Jesus Christ.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The lady screaming AHHHH. AHHHH. might have actually been the hardest I've ever laughed at Twin Peaks. Every bit of her performance ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You're talking Larua Palmer in the black lodge?

• Locked thread