Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Pause by Thomas Petersen, on Flickr

Dude on a street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Still raining.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It seems to be primes are the preferred lens of the street photographer. I've used prime lenses extensively in the past but they've been sold or are collecting dust since I've gotten good zoom lenses. This weekend I was fortunate to test drive a Leica M-P with a 35 1.4. I think I got some good shots this weekend, but I feel like I'm cropping like hell just because I feel like it's harder to get exactly what I want with the prime. Is excessive cropping normal for you guys or maybe I'm just not used to the 35 and need to master it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Haggins posted:

It seems to be primes are the preferred lens of the street photographer. I've used prime lenses extensively in the past but they've been sold or are collecting dust since I've gotten good zoom lenses. This weekend I was fortunate to test drive a Leica M-P with a 35 1.4. I think I got some good shots this weekend, but I feel like I'm cropping like hell just because I feel like it's harder to get exactly what I want with the prime. Is excessive cropping normal for you guys or maybe I'm just not used to the 35 and need to master it?

A huge thing about street photography is that the shots are always better if you're getting close enough to be engaging with your subjects in some way. Sounds like you're used to not really getting in and engaging with the subjects and instead have been using the zooms as a crutch to take photos from afar.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's a good point.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Using primes is a different way of working than using zooms to adjust the edges of of your frame on the fly. It takes a bit of time to learn the proper spacing for your lenses and how to position yourself to better use the focal length. Long time zoom users just tend to post up at one spot while shooting and prime shooters have to move around alot. This is not just limited to street work, I shoot weddings and live music with primes and I'm constantly repositioning myself to get the angles I want. It just takes practise.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This thread is still really bad :snoop:

Blue Star 23rd. Nw Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Haggins posted:

Take two steps forward for gently caress sake. You need to spend more time with the focal length to get a much better feel about how aggressive you need to be. Some folks will crop a ton, others will be very aggressive with their framing in relation to subject. You need to play around more than just a weekend.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
How to be good at street photography: don't be bad at it.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Shibuya Alley by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

Sunflower by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 28, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Street photography is just surprise portraits of unwilling subjects, use a wide lens and get real close for maximum intrusion.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Street photography is just surprise portraits of unwilling subjects, use a wide lens and get real close for maximum intrusion.

and use a flash

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Musket posted:

Take two steps forward for gently caress sake. You need to spend more time with the focal length to get a much better feel about how aggressive you need to be. Some folks will crop a ton, others will be very aggressive with their framing in relation to subject. You need to play around more than just a weekend.

I'm probably just not used to the 35, seemed a tad too close on FF. Also was kind of a bitch doing MF while moving. Like this shot, I wish I was able to execute better:

L1000600.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

I did get a few I was happy with:

L1000536.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

L1000448.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

L1000517.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

L1000520.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

L1000647.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
yeah uh don't manual focus a Leica while walking my dude. Stop down to f/11 and zone focus.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

8th-snype posted:

yeah uh don't manual focus a Leica while walking my dude. Stop down to f/11 and zone focus.

Well I won't be shooting with a Leica anymore, just had a test drive. Back to my Canon. It does make me want to get focus screen for my 6D, would be nice when auto doesn't want to play nice. Especially since all my lenses have a nice manual override ring.

Also, while the glass was amazing, I wasn't too impressed with the body. Metering was all over the place (evaluative didn't seem to work well) so I put it into +/-1 3 exposure bracket mode. This eventually made the camera lock up to the point where I had to pop the battery out and put it back in. Pretty loving weak for a $7000 camera.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are those 2 women torching?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

underage at the vape shop posted:

What are those 2 women torching?

Glass.

Haggins posted:

Well I won't be shooting with a Leica anymore, just had a test drive. Back to my Canon. It does make me want to get focus screen for my 6D, would be nice when auto doesn't want to play nice. Especially since all my lenses have a nice manual override ring.

Also, while the glass was amazing, I wasn't too impressed with the body. Metering was all over the place (evaluative didn't seem to work well) so I put it into +/-1 3 exposure bracket mode. This eventually made the camera lock up to the point where I had to pop the battery out and put it back in. Pretty loving weak for a $7000 camera.

Were you using classic metering mode or advanced metering? Classic mode without liveview only gives you centerweighted metering but will let you select spot or evaluative because reasons. Advanced mode uses the sensor as a meter which increases power demand and heat generation. I imagine shooting 3 shot brackets with essentially liveview constantly flickering on during the hottest weekend we had around here all year would definitely stress the camera to the point of locking up if you were using advanced mode.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

:downs: of course

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Glass.

Were you using classic metering mode or advanced metering? Classic mode without liveview only gives you centerweighted metering but will let you select spot or evaluative because reasons. Advanced mode uses the sensor as a meter which increases power demand and heat generation. I imagine shooting 3 shot brackets with essentially liveview constantly flickering on during the hottest weekend we had around here all year would definitely stress the camera to the point of locking up if you were using advanced mode.

Makes sense, had no idea I was using the sensor. The first thing I did was play with the +/- ev but that's kind of hard to master with an unfamiliar camera in a day. Figured I'd start bracketing and change out the metering mode.

I will say though, I was able to pull up pretty dark shadows in post no problem. I was very impressed with the file quality. I don't know if the M is for me (well I certainly can't afford it anyway) but everything they say about the Leica look is true.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Managed to get two of this guy I that I really like.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 5, 2017

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Throw away your canon, get a mirrorless camera and leica glass. Problem; Solved. Street Cred; +6 :snoop:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Big rear end Ball by Cacator, on Flickr

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Musket posted:

Throw away your canon, get a mirrorless camera and leica glass. Problem; Solved. Street Cred; +6 :snoop:

Soon as I win the lotto. I did enjoy shooting with it but I'd kick myself if I ever got rid of my dslr. Got me thinking about gettibg a small mirror less camera, like maybe a Fuji or 4/3rds as a supplement.

But then again, I've been doing great with my rx100 iii. It's so compact and unassuming.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
owning a fuji is like having a leica that was designed by a human being

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
And they even have the same focus speed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have zero issues with focus speed, have you tried turning the camera on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like it, it's like a (nother) remake of The Prisoner.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A photo of a street

World Trade Center

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nite Owl by Cacator, on Flickr

Do you know where your children are? by Cacator, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-snype posted:

owning a fuji is like having a leica that was designed by a human being

True.

Xabi posted:

And they even have the same focus speed.

False. Maybe use a Fuji camera instead of being cool on the internet. Or better yet, contribute your lovely photos :snoop:

Haggins posted:

Soon as I win the lotto. I did enjoy shooting with it but I'd kick myself if I ever got rid of my dslr. Got me thinking about gettibg a small mirror less camera, like maybe a Fuji or 4/3rds as a supplement.

But then again, I've been doing great with my rx100 iii. It's so compact and unassuming.

gently caress the digital M line of Leica. They are overpriced and not all that amazing unless you already own a bunch of M or LTM glass to throw on em. Toss your DSLR away after you rent an Xpro2 or Xt2. Hell even an Xt1/Xt10 will probably poo poo all over your dlsr. There isnt all that much glass with your current system that Fuji cannot match. I would even bet that the X lenses would beat your line up in terms of real world use.

Lets not forget how easy it is to adapt non-fuji glass to its body. Same goes with all mirrorless cameras. Rent the Fuji Xt20 and the 18-55 kit lense (its loving amazing) and the 23mm 1.4 and go have fun.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Musket is the wrathful god of street photography and anyone that argues with him needs to fight me irl

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Musket posted:

gently caress the digital M line of Leica. They are overpriced and not all that amazing unless you already own a bunch of M or LTM glass to throw on em. Toss your DSLR away after you rent an Xpro2 or Xt2. Hell even an Xt1/Xt10 will probably poo poo all over your dlsr. There isnt all that much glass with your current system that Fuji cannot match. I would even bet that the X lenses would beat your line up in terms of real world use.

Lets not forget how easy it is to adapt non-fuji glass to its body. Same goes with all mirrorless cameras. Rent the Fuji Xt20 and the 18-55 kit lense (its loving amazing) and the 23mm 1.4 and go have fun.

I'm still afraid to dump my full frame/ Canon L glass kit, but I will definitely give the fuji a try. Watching them the past few years, I really like what they're doing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
horse

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:yum:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

These two are great

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like before and after photos, too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like before and after photos, too.

lol

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
cross post from PAD

Americana by Bill Baker, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Cross post from landscape thread