Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lain Iwakura posted:

Rest in peace, wallet.

Is this the cool thing to get instead of a framemeister? I'm leaning towards an upscaler instead of modding in better video out, unless you need to do both or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

fishmech posted:

Sounds bullshit to me, unless Nintendo went out of their way to make things expensive. Car and stereo component/computer slot loading CD players have been able to take the 8 cm discs just fine for ages, as they actually used to be reasonably popular for singles and independent releases as well as certain software.

That's actually not at all true and most slot loading DVD drives don't load mini cds at all. It was one of the more common ways to kill the disk drive in iMac/Macbooks for a while. The only two slot loaders that I can think of that do take mini cd's are the PS3 and the early Wiis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure Solstice's theme is a Yes song that blew away on the train and Follin happened across it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Wendy Oldbag Tactics?

Funky Fantasy for the Saturn. Apparently it's one of those games with a reputation in Japan.

No, I did not order it.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Applesnots posted:

I dont know if has been posted before but I found the most amazing retro game store in south west Florida right on Ft Myers beach. Literally had walls full of stacked loose nes and snes game and at a price well below what I thought a B&M store would price them at.They had any game and console I could think of, In box for the consoles or loose if you wanted. Owner was a kid in his twenties and was chill, would def recommend if you guys are ever that way.

What store? I'm going to Tampa next week and may check it out.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Stan Taylor posted:

Is this the cool thing to get instead of a framemeister? I'm leaning towards an upscaler instead of modding in better video out, unless you need to do both or something?

You'll still need to have it output in YPbPr or RGB. It's just a good alternative to the Framemeister.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's also worth pointing out that the OSSC is not a scaler, but a line multiplier. TV/monitor compatibility is lower than the Framemeister. Depending on the version, it may or may not accept sound input without an add-on. If you can work around those things, it is a great option with virtually no added latency.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I will probably go deep down the retro hole sometime in the next year by getting a Frameister and trying to hook up 12+ consoles at once. Depends how many redundant consoles I want hooked up. Do I hook up a ps1 when I have s ps2, for example? Maybe I'll just display it but not worry about it being immediately playable.

Is there a good SCART switcher yet? I was watching some older videos of peoples setups and they kept saying that wasn't really a thing but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tree Dude posted:

I will probably go deep down the retro hole sometime in the next year by getting a Frameister and trying to hook up 12+ consoles at once. Depends how many redundant consoles I want hooked up. Do I hook up a ps1 when I have s ps2, for example? Maybe I'll just display it but not worry about it being immediately playable.

Is there a good SCART switcher yet? I was watching some older videos of peoples setups and they kept saying that want really a thing but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

superg's gscartsw and Lotharek's hydra switch. They are pricey however.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

That's actually not at all true and most slot loading DVD drives don't load mini cds at all. It was one of the more common ways to kill the disk drive in iMac/Macbooks for a while. The only two slot loaders that I can think of that do take mini cd's are the PS3 and the early Wiis.

Er, every car I ever had with a CD drive did it, from a cheap Plymouth Neon to my grandpa's mid-90s Buick Park Avenue we had for a while like 10 years after it was new. I've had several Sony and Toshiba laptops that insisted on using slot drives and they all loaded the smaller discs fine - up until the slot loader broke for all discs, as usually happens with slot loaders. We also used some white box PCs in middle school that had slot loading drives and our educational software often came on the mini CDs, they worked fine. And as mentioned, a decent amount of home stereo equipment that had slot loaders would handle the smaller discs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

Er, every car I ever had with a CD drive did it, from a cheap Plymouth Neon to my grandpa's mid-90s Buick Park Avenue we had for a while like 10 years after it was new. I've had several Sony and Toshiba laptops that insisted on using slot drives and they all loaded the smaller discs fine - up until the slot loader broke for all discs, as usually happens with slot loaders. We also used some white box PCs in middle school that had slot loading drives and our educational software often came on the mini CDs, they worked fine. And as mentioned, a decent amount of home stereo equipment that had slot loaders would handle the smaller discs.

Yeah, the Wii U is the first slot loading disc drive I've owned that didn't handle them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Dude posted:

Is there a good SCART switcher yet? I was watching some older videos of peoples setups and they kept saying that wasn't really a thing but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

As far as consumer models go, the Joytech AV control center (mark 1/2) switchboxes are of great quality. I have two myself, the 5x RGB scart and older 4x version. Both come with a remote and the mark 2 has a nifty LED screen and a variety of different inputs.

Only problem is that they might be hard to find. (and be sure to check it's the scart version, there's one on eBay right now that's the composite model)

Some people have used the Bandridge switchboxes which are easier to find.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

MLIG did an episode on SCART switches a while back, it might be worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo

I currently have a Hama 3x RGB SCART switch. It works well and doesn't introduce any noticeable quality loss or audio buzzing, but three inputs just isn't enough at this point.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Maybe get console to bnc adapters with bnc ends and a bnc switchbox since they're cheap as balls.

I'd be curious if someone did the math. Cables from retro console girl on eBay are probably $50-60 this way, but I think the switchers are about the same price too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I knew if I genuinely love the US SNES' design or if it is just nostalgia. It's the one thing I can't figure out if I am looking at it with rose tinted glasses. I think the grey and purple contrast is really cool. Not to mention the US version is way more durable to a fall/drop than the international version. Though I do like the color scheme of the international controllers, I like the concave buttons for X and Y so much more.

Is there a single European goon that grew up with the PAL/SFC version that thinks the American SNES looks better?

Though I know for a fact it's not nostalgia with how much I loved their box designs with the random purple rectangle and turquoise squares and orange dots :allears:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

falz posted:

Maybe get console to bnc adapters with bnc ends and a bnc switchbox since they're cheap as balls.

I'd be curious if someone did the math. Cables from retro console girl on eBay are probably $50-60 this way, but I think the switchers are about the same price too.

I've been looking at alternatives to SCART cables like RCA, BNC, and VGA for a while, but I haven't come up with anything that is both cheaper and more convenient. The main problem is that each console requires different resistors, capacitors, and sync stripper circuits on the RGBS lines that have to fit into the cable somehow. The SCART plug is ideal for this because its a large box that can fit any required components, and is easy to modify by hand.

You could get around this by installing the resistors and capacitors in the console itself, but then the console wouldn't be compatible with standard SCART cables or custom adapters like Retrovision cables. There's also the option of building a pass-through adapter with the required components, but that probably wouldn't be much cheaper than using a standard SCART cable + SCART-BNC adapter.

The other issue is how you deal with audio; it either needs a separate break-out cable or decent internal shielding to avoid introducing more noise.

Then you need to factor in the fact that most popular RGB upscalers and adapters use SCART jacks for their RGB inputs, and some even have them built-in like the XRGB-3 or OSSC. You would have to build custom adapters cables for each device.

The "solution" I came up with was to add a separate VGA port to each console with the required components wired in, and routing audio through some of the unused pins. Then using standard VGA cables to connect each console to a VGA switch, and building an adapter cable with audio breakout from the switch output. Of course, that would require cutting extra holes in all of my consoles, I already own a bunch of SCART cables so I wouldn't save much cable-wise. I'd have to test the VGA cables/switches to make sure it didn't screw up the audio, or use the stock composite cables for each console to route audio to a separate switch.

tldr: :effort: I'll be pre-ordering superg's $200 gscartsw switch because its actually a lot easier. If I'm going to put in that much work, I'd rather try a multi-console project in the style of Stupidfingers' Super-Genintari.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 29, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't care about the design of the control deck at all but I'm still bitter that they decided to change the SNES controller face button colors to purple and different purple

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mak0rz posted:

I don't care about the design of the control deck at all but I'm still bitter that they decided to change the SNES controller face button colors to purple and different purple

I'd love to have a controller that's the best of both worlds with the Super Famicom color scheme for the buttons, but the concave X and Y buttons as well.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'd love to have a controller that's the best of both worlds with the Super Famicom color scheme for the buttons, but the concave X and Y buttons as well.
You could probably dye the buttons. You would need to know a good dyer to mix the colors for you though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I stumbled onto a sealed copy of Myst 3: Exile for one whole dollar at my local thrift store which, if you recall the Myst talk from a week or so ago, is one of the games in the series that's a minor pain to get. So yay. and I might actually play it someday. That said, there was some vital information located on the back of the box:

Myst III: Exile box posted:

Self-contained story & gameplay. Does not require the purchase of Myst or Riven.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Looks like doujindance has changed how he/she is doing systems now and isn't a garbage fire. I'd probably still deal with a more well known modder but it looks like it is a 100% better.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The purple buttons are good and the only way to improve the SNES controller would be to make it available in Atomic Purple

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

Looks like doujindance has changed how he/she is doing systems now and isn't a garbage fire. I'd probably still deal with a more well known modder but it looks like it is a 100% better.

I bought my doujindance PCE when I'm guessing he was still doing lovely work. However, the image quality looks great, there's a region mod that doesn't negatively affect the Everdrive, and it hasn't melted on me. Is there something I should go in and fix myself as preemptive measures? Or is this just another case where the result is good, it's just internally it looks terrible?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Been trolling Ebay for a GBA micro and drat some of these are not cheap. I really really want one now though because the regret for not getting one earlier is real.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I bought my doujindance PCE when I'm guessing he was still doing lovely work. However, the image quality looks great, there's a region mod that doesn't negatively affect the Everdrive, and it hasn't melted on me. Is there something I should go in and fix myself as preemptive measures? Or is this just another case where the result is good, it's just internally it looks terrible?

Did you watch the video where a guy cleans up a doujindance install? If not, don't.......

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Konami owns all the games so either "never" or they'll all show up on some awful plug-and-play alongside the complete works of fuckin' Accolade or something.

If it came with star control 1 and 2 I would be cool with this.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

The purple buttons are good and the only way to improve the SNES controller would be to make it available in Atomic Purple

Much like the frenzy that developed over the N64, Nintendo should have made 1/100 Classic consoles be colored Gold. Including its controller.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

epsilon posted:

What store? I'm going to Tampa next week and may check it out.

http://www.8bithalloffame.com/

The address is in the link, poo poo website but awesome store. it has pixel mega man and I think raccoon mario painted on the walls outside. Opposite the ocean.

https://www.facebook.com/8bithalloffame/
FB link, Dude was just cool,had everything and was not a grognard.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 29, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like the SFC skittles buttons. Give me the SFC design, keep your candy colored controller.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So remember back in the previous incarnation of the thread when we all learned about what a weirdo the Chakan the Forever Man guy is? And how he made a really awful looking CGI Wonder Boy movie in like 2010? And there was like, maybe 5 minutes of surviving footage left on the internet?

Youuuuuu will neVER guess WHAT i JUST FOUND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_btRK5qSrM

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

So remember back in the previous incarnation of the thread when we all learned about what a weirdo the Chakan the Forever Man guy is? And how he made a really awful looking CGI Wonder Boy movie in like 2010? And there was like, maybe 5 minutes of surviving footage left on the internet?

Youuuuuu will neVER guess WHAT i JUST FOUND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_btRK5qSrM

I just want to say that I did not rip and post my DVD copy. I honestly thought that I owned the only copy of it in existence. Well, other than Robin Morningstar's personal copies, of course.

Also, I'm looking forward to everyone's reactions.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I just can't believe it showed up on my twitter the literal minute after I made a tweet about Robin Morningstar. :sax:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I just can't believe it showed up on my twitter the literal minute after I made a tweet about Robin Morningstar. :sax:

i have an extremely powerful sense of timing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually runs GB carts. Android only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ot1vmfi4qQ&t=550s

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If the combination of the black phone slab and positioning of the D-pad, buttons, and that gap in the bottom half doesn't make it resemble the face of a cyborg mutant with a hi-top fade...well, maybe you just ain't high enough :colbert: .

That said, I wonder why Hyperkin doesn't just do the obvious thing and include a screen to make a complete Gameboy clone system, especially if it's designed work with an emulator running on Android anyway?

EDIT: Like yeah, "run real GB carts on your Android phone on-the-go!" seems like the obvious appeal point (somehow), but that device doesn't look particularly compact or like it's much smaller than a dedicated system anyway.

Overcoming the original innate drawbacks of the Gameboy, in addition to those related to age, seems like an easy win to go far that would have broader appeal in the retro community, rather than an almost gimmicky Android phone accessory.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 30, 2017

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, I wonder why Hyperkin doesn't just do the obvious thing and include a screen to make a complete Gameboy clone system, especially if it's designed work with an emulator running on Android anyway?

Retro-bit is making one; I'm sure Hyperkin will follow suit, and the GB clones shall rise.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I was originally going to just post the video to Tumblr, then I decided I needed at least a brief explanation, then I accidentally spent all night summing up everything I know from Random Stranger's posts and my own digging. Here's an article about the Wonder Boy movie. http://coolgreat.website/post/162428880060/wonder-boy-2010

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

I was originally going to just post the video to Tumblr, then I decided I needed at least a brief explanation, then I accidentally spent all night summing up everything I know from Random Stranger's posts and my own digging. Here's an article about the Wonder Boy movie. http://coolgreat.website/post/162428880060/wonder-boy-2010

One thing you might want to add is that the Amazon listing for the DVD was for their print on demand service. So there isn't a warehouse of Wonder Boy DVD's out there waiting to be discovered (or buried in the New Mexico desert). It's the film equivalent of self-publishing.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Overcoming the original innate drawbacks of the Gameboy, in addition to those related to age, seems like an easy win to go far that would have broader appeal in the retro community, rather than an almost gimmicky Android phone accessory.
There was a kickstarter recently for a device that was a Raspberry Pi 3 in an original GBA shell with a rechargeable battery, backlit screen, and two extra microswitch buttons added so you can play SNES games.

Edit:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227007236/freeplay-zero-freeplay-cm3-by-freeplaytech

I missed out on it, but will get one this fall when they go to market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fastbilly1 posted:

There was a kickstarter recently for a device that was a Raspberry Pi 3 in an original GBA shell with a rechargeable battery, backlit screen, and two extra microswitch buttons added so you can play SNES games.

Edit:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227007236/freeplay-zero-freeplay-cm3-by-freeplaytech

I missed out on it, but will get one this fall when they go to market.

I'm kinda surprised Nintendo didn't come down on that with a hammer, considering they're using original Nintendo GBA shells on top of it being an emulation platform.

• Locked thread