Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Terryberrys sweep picking made me laugh and I don't know who any of the other guys are. So he wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stop playing so god damned fast what's the rush?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd like to see some ultra slow sweep picking videos now that you mention it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

I'd like to see some ultra slow sweep picking videos now that you mention it.

give me the weekend

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

give me the weekend

I'll be waiting :worship:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I forgot to answer my own question, I would like to have a beer with the Guitar Moves guy, he seems pretty chill.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Stop playing so god damned fast what's the rush?

Fun fact: a lot of the style of modern rock guitar solos is actually a side effect of the way musicians' contracts were negotiated in the 80s and 90s. In an effort to create a more "equitable" distribution of royalties for mechanical song rights that rewarded musicians for their actual contribution instead of just for showing up, several record labels adopted a strategy of paying instrumentalists by the note. This resulted in a situation where guitarists and keyboard players were paid far more per song than bass players, a phenomenon which guitarists began to exploit heavily by adopting a solo style that involved picking as fast as humanly possible. Because rights were proportional, a good shredding guitar solo could basically drive a bass player's share in the mechanical rights down to almost zero, which bass players typically didn't fight back against because they're bass players and therefore constantly high and bad with money. Early speed metal was actually intended to be a humorous ironic commentary on the labor issues created by these absurd contracts, but it quickly morphed into its own thing when oblivious fans began treating it seriously as music. Record labels eventually took the hint and stopped allocating royalties based on number of notes, but by that time the shredding guitar solo had become entrenched and fans had actually grown to like it. The damage was done, and guitar solos have never been the same since. The really stupid thing about the whole affair is that a cursory knowledge of music history would have told the labels that this was a bad idea; the exact same thing had already happened in bluegrass many decades earlier.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
jared dines should stop wearing back-to-front snapbacks he's too old for it, he looks all "hello, fellow kids"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Fun fact: a lot of the style of modern rock guitar solos is actually a side effect of the way musicians' contracts were negotiated in the 80s and 90s. In an effort to create a more "equitable" distribution of royalties for mechanical song rights that rewarded musicians for their actual contribution instead of just for showing up, several record labels adopted a strategy of paying instrumentalists by the note. This resulted in a situation where guitarists and keyboard players were paid far more per song than bass players, a phenomenon which guitarists began to exploit heavily by adopting a solo style that involved picking as fast as humanly possible. Because rights were proportional, a good shredding guitar solo could basically drive a bass player's share in the mechanical rights down to almost zero, which bass players typically didn't fight back against because they're bass players and therefore constantly high and bad with money. Early speed metal was actually intended to be a humorous ironic commentary on the labor issues created by these absurd contracts, but it quickly morphed into its own thing when oblivious fans began treating it seriously as music. Record labels eventually took the hint and stopped allocating royalties based on number of notes, but by that time the shredding guitar solo had become entrenched and fans had actually grown to like it. The damage was done, and guitar solos have never been the same since. The really stupid thing about the whole affair is that a cursory knowledge of music history would have told the labels that this was a bad idea; the exact same thing had already happened in bluegrass many decades earlier.
I find this story so impossible to believe that it must be absolute fact as serene as a clear azure pond. (That's not sarcasm.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I find this story so impossible to believe that it must be absolute fact as serene as a clear azure pond. (That's not sarcasm.)

I didn't reply, initially, because I knew it'd be stepping on some greatness like this.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am Jack's nervous laughter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am Jack's nervous laughter.

Oh don't worry, it's poo poo. You're poo poo. and should be ashamed. Shithead.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
LOL Ok, nevermind then!!

Whew!

Situation: normal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trig Discipline posted:

what the gently caress really?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

what the gently caress really?

:cmon:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't doubt anything about the 80s music industry unless it's a fact that sounds mundane and reasonable

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

skeptical because there's no reference to cocaine

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I need to dig up the videos from that Canadian repair guy who'd just film himself fixing somebody's guitar and talking poo poo about it in the process, those were good videos.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I need to dig up the videos from that Canadian repair guy who'd just film himself fixing somebody's guitar and talking poo poo about it in the process, those were good videos.

Dave's World of Fun Stuff?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqKAp558vi8

EvangeliKal-El
Jul 26, 2009

butros posted:

informal poll: which youtube guitar bozo would you most like to have a beer with?

Phillip McKnight

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
gently caress - Jim Lill
Marry - CSGuitars Colin
Kill - Steve Terreberry

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Thanks in part to this thread raising my awareness of the dangers of creeping bluesdaddery, I actually went out and played rock music loudly with other people last night. It was fun as hell and I'm gonna do it again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've never played in front of anyone other than family fml

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Listening to radio announcements for local music is essentially saying Rigs Of Dad captions out loud.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

Its ok, soon you'll branch out and get to play to the other bands on the bill and barstaff

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Listening to radio announcements for local music is essentially saying Rigs Of Dad captions out loud.

one of the more recent entries mentioned a venue called "vape & pillage"

:vince:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Kilometers Davis posted:

I mean it wasn't for an audience or anything, I just answered a craigslist ad from a couple of rockdads looking for a bass player to drink beer and bash through punk/doom tunes with them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

one of the more recent entries mentioned a venue called "vape & pillage"

:vince:

that's a cool name

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's so good i'm legit angry that i never thought of it

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
We seriously considered Gang Vape for a bit but a) we're growing out of the shock rock thing b) and it was always pretty lame to start with.

There's a group of older lads near us who play in an Oi band called Inequality Street. They take a lot of poo poo for it though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

darkwasthenight posted:

We seriously considered Gang Vape for a bit but a) we're growing out of the shock rock thing b) and it was always pretty lame to start with.

There's a group of older lads near us who play in an Oi band called Inequality Street. They take a lot of poo poo for it though.

I think Inequality Street is a pretty decent song by Skyclad. At least, the pub version is good. The original never really stuck in my head, and most Skyclad tunes sound better in pub arrangements anyways.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

not quite as bad as the merle haggard dumbleland special that one shop in seattle had for 160k

and apparently it's already been sold

http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/product/1978-dumble-dumbleland-special/

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

At least throw in the drat shipping

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yep because there's nothing quite like that strained smile of your loved one when you fumble through something you thought was super cool 5 minutes ago after you'd practised it all week to show off.

Or maybe that's just me :(

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

At least throw in the drat shipping

at least it ain't this dude

https://reverb.com/item/4711266-jimi-hendrix-owned-and-played-1964-fender-stratocaster

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I've never played a Dumble but nothing about an amp has ever struck me as worth the money people ask for it. Same with 59 LPs. I mean, I'm sure they're great but really, over $100k for one? I don't know if I'd ever be convinced any individual piece (guitar, amp head, cab) would ever be worth more than four figures honestly. I don't think pedals and the like are worth over three figures, either. Not when clones are available that are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same thing without the stupid price tag. I think a whole lot of people do their "listening" with their eyes and wallets.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never played a Dumble but nothing about an amp has ever struck me as worth the money people ask for it. Same with 59 LPs. I mean, I'm sure they're great but really, over $100k for one? I don't know if I'd ever be convinced any individual piece (guitar, amp head, cab) would ever be worth more than four figures honestly. I don't think pedals and the like are worth over three figures, either. Not when clones are available that are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same thing without the stupid price tag. I think a whole lot of people do their "listening" with their eyes and wallets.

I don't think you "get" what being a true bluesdad is all about.

Please turn in your fedora, bowling shirt, and velcro sandals on your way out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Yep because there's nothing quite like that strained smile of your loved one when you fumble through something you thought was super cool 5 minutes ago after you'd practised it all week to show off.

Or maybe that's just me :(

Thing is, my family was super supportive of my playing early on, still is. My girlfriend always mentions how nice me playing for her would be. I don't. Because I'm an anxious confidence pit. I'm starting a YouTube channel within the next month though to practice getting over that. It's a pretty huge block for someone who wants to share art and music and I know it's worth pushing through.

e/ning the stupid music poo poo thread, hell yeah

• Locked thread