Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Now kill me.
Camilla, what are you talking about?!

Corrine only considers killing people with silver black hair.

Wait, Lady Camilla! You're giving up?
You admit defeat too early... We can retreat and try again.

We'll be executed if we return home. I'd rather die at Corrine's hands—to have the last thing I see be her face.
Please, Corrine...
Camilla, are you sure about this? You're willing to surrender your life to me?
I am. Go on, my dear sister. I won't beg for mercy.
All right...

This is the second time someone wanted to die instead of taking the actual smart choice and just join up to escape Garon's orders.

Flora....

You can't be serious.
Are you out of your mind, Corrine?! They just tried to kill you! Why would you invite them to join?

Takumi, you don't understand. Attempting to kill her only encourages the recruitment.

Even though she fought against us, it was only because King Garon demanded it. Now she is safe from him. Remember, our real enemy isn't part of Hoshido or Nohr.
Our real enemy?
I'm sorry—I can't talk about it here.

It's interesting that Camilla joins as the first Nohrian forces. Before Elise or Hinoka who joined much earlier on the previous paths.

There has to be a way that doesn't destroy Nohr or Hoshido. We'll find it together!
Whoa! Lady Corrine... Did your sword glow just now?
I remember this look... This is the same look you'd give me when you'd made up your mind. I always loved that strong, determined look.

Enjoy the bench!

I don't know what's going on, but... The least a big sister can do is believe in her little sister.
Thank you, Camilla!
Well, that settles that.
This means we're going too, Beruka.
Where?
What do you mean "where"?!

Well, Beruka is. I'm still surprised Selena made it endgame last game.

If a liege goes somewhere, then the retainers go too! Obviously!
Understood.
So, you can count on us, Lady Corrine.
All right, thank you.

THIS IS FINALLY THE TIME TO JOIN EARLY

GODDAMNIT

Including my father. I cannot go with you.
Won't it be dangerous for you to return home?

...Why didn't you do this before.

Why did she suicide in Birthright again

I'm going to meet up with them, and then we'll continue to lay low and avoid Nohr. I'm putting my faith in you, Lady Corrine. My tribe will be able to return home if you, the hero, put an end to this fighting.
Hero?
Yes... A moment ago, I saw your sword glow. I'm sure it must be the sword spoken of in old legends from my tribe.
You've heard something about this weapon?

A shining sword. The one who wields it is supposed to save the world. Which would make you the hero, wouldn't it, Lady Corrine?
I think calling me a hero is a bit of an exaggeration.

BIG exaggeration

This may be a legendary blade, but my having it could just be coincidence...
All the same... I'll still believe in you. Even though I'm not coming along. I choose to believe you are our hero, milady.
Flora...
We should get going...

Dragons?
The Archduke of Izumo said that an old god gave him a message for us. A message about dragons... If you know anything about them, please tell me. Even if it's just something from a legend, like the one you mentioned before.
I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything... They've been gone so long that we don't even have tales of dragons in the Ice Tribe.
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance...
No, it's fine. Thanks, Flora. Promise me you'll be careful out there.
I will. Until we meet again, everyone...

Still "useful" as ever, Flora.

Another pure waste of potential.

*Time passes*

Flora and the other Ice Tribe fighters have left. Hopefully they and the rest of the tribe find a safe place, away from King Garon.
Don't worry—they're very skilled at manipulating ice.

I can't tell if this is a troll by the writers. Next, she's going to say that Garon was never seriously about killing the Ice Tribe.

Just like when you built that large snow fort to hide in.
Oh wow, that really digs up old memories. I remember listening as everyone panicked, trying to figure out where I'd gotten to. You know, Camilla...

Aww. I was just thinking the same thing. It's like a dream... I think Flora had it right when she said you're a legendary hero. After all, you saved me back there.
Are you saying you believe in that legend she mentioned?
No, that's not what I meant.
I believe in you, Corrine, and whatever it is you set out to do. If anyone can bring an end to this war, it will be you.
Camilla...

Do you know if it's Hoshidan tradition to listen in on the conversations of others?
AH! Um... Sorry... I was just...
Hrmph...
I'm sorry... We didn't mean to pry...
Sakura, Takumi... Even you, Azura?

Wow, Camilla. It's strange how you care now when this was never mentioned by you in Conquest.

Almost like shoddy consistency

Actually, I barely remember if Camilla and Azura has ever spoken directly to each other last game

You remember me?
Of course I do. I saw you many times in the castle.
And if I remember correctly, the Nohrian nobility used to treat you horribly...
They did? Why?

However, there were many in the nobility who supported Queen Katerina. My mother was one such person. She constantly told me not to talk to Azura. Of course Xander, being Queen Katerina's child, was told the same thing. Later, when Leo was born, he was also kept away from her. We were dutiful children, so we obeyed.

We never forgot about you. You are our adorable sister, after all...

Just pretend Conquest and Birthright never happened, despite the warning that said you have to play both

...Thank you for saying that, Camilla.
Azura, you shouldn't trust her so easily. Even though you're siblings, you can't be certain of her motives.
Oh, Takumi...
No, he's right; you have every reason to be wary of me. We were just fighting a moment ago, after all.
But you don't need to worry. From this point forward, I will do nothing that would upset Corrine.
Though, if Corrine asks, I wouldn't object to taking one or two of you out.
Camilla!

She actually sounds like a person, kinda. Only took 3 1/2 games.

I promise I won't betray you. I will risk my life fighting with you all.
S-sure...
Of course, Camilla.
I'll be honest. I still don't trust you, but... I'll work with you.
Maybe, over time, we can build that trust, Princess Camilla.
Thank you. I'd love nothing more.

Takumi is more trusting since he doesn't have POSSESSION in his system to egg him on.

I never dreamed I'd be able to bring my siblings from both kingdoms together. We still have a long way to go, but each step we take fills me with hope.
Look, the ice is already starting to melt. Let's get this boat moving. Onward to Cheve!

Units update

Camilla, Selena, and Beruka are all exactly the same as when they joined Conquest. Which is good, because no random nerfs I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The only differences for Team Camilla are their starting items/weapon ranks. Camilla joins with a Hand Axe instead of a Thunder tome as her ranged weapon, Severa only joins with an Iron Sword, and both her and Beruka lost 50% of their respective weapon rank EXP compared to when they joined in Conquest. Yes, the weapon EXP changes for Severa and Beruka make little sense to me as well.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
And Camilla never interacts with Azura in a meaningful way ever again. Seriously, they have no support.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

And Camilla never interacts with Azura in a meaningful way ever again. Seriously, they have no support.

They have a conversation in DLC. That was never localized.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If I get a 3DS I think I'll get Awakening, I remember that LP being more entertaining than this game. Echoes too, maybe.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

SgtSteel91 posted:

If I get a 3DS I think I'll get Awakening, I remember that LP being more entertaining than this game. Echoes too, maybe.

I don't know about Echoes, but I'd definitely recommend Awakening over this exercise in incompetence. I mean, Awakening's got a pretty cliche plot, sure, but it's better in pretty much every way than Fates.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CptWedgie posted:

I don't know about Echoes, but I'd definitely recommend Awakening over this exercise in incompetence. I mean, Awakening's got a pretty cliche plot, sure, but it's better in pretty much every way than Fates.

Cliche but functional is better than this mess.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Geostomp posted:

Cliche but functional is better than this mess.

Exactly. It may be a cliche plot, but it's at least a competently-told cliche plot (disclaimer: "good" is a higher-quality subset of "competent" for the purposes of this topic; it is possible to be competent but not good, though the reverse is not true).

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah even Birthright plays better then Awakening and Conquest is significantly better then Awakening to play. As garbage as Revelation is Birthright and Conquest are both much better to actually play then Awakening.

Echoes is much better then both.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ice Tribe attack? Unless I missed something, I thought was just Flora.

Seriously, why can't you just join, Flora.

...Okay, this is different.

...What happened here? Cyrkensia is in ruins!
It looks like a war zone...
But Cyrkensia has never been a target before...
Something must have changed while we were in Hoshido.
Hmm? Do you hear that? Someone's coming!
Are those...

I guess no more dancing CG cutscene from Azura here.

It's Keaton and Kaden! That for some reason are both here at the same time...?

It's not safe here... Get away...while you can.
Wah! They have...tails?
These poor creatures...they've been horribly injured.
Princess Sakura, could you tend to them?
Oh! Y-yes! I'll heal them right away!

I really need to experiment what it looks like when Sakura isn't a healer.

Me too! This is wonderful! Thank you very much, kind lady! I'll be sure to repay you someday!
Please don't worry—it was nothing. I'm glad you're both feeling better.
How did the two of you get hurt, anyway? This town is in ruins; were you part of the battle?
No, we were here to visit. We only arrived a little while ago. But things have been strange the whole time we've been here...

Unless it's implying Kaden or Keaton was at the city the same time as the respective paths, this is a bit shoe-horned in for both to appear.

For no reason at all, areas of the town have just been...falling apart. What you see now wasn't the result of any fighting at all!
But...that's impossible.
It's the truth! Buildings and plazas just started to crumble for no reason. We tried our best to reinforce things, but as soon as we started to help...
We were attacked by...some sort of invisible forces.
Invisible forces? But if that's the case, then that would mean...

If that's who it's likely, they can now turn fully invisible??

Ryoma and Prince Xander are fighting on the outskirts of town!
What?! Ryoma and Xander are here? Let's go! We have to stop them!
Hey, wait. Who are you allied with, anyway? Nohr? Hoshido? Looking at you all, I'd say both... But that doesn't seem very likely.
No, that's right. We're from both kingdoms, but we aren't with ether one. We're people trying to end this war.

Sure, I could use a tank at this point.

Are you sure? Our mission isn't an easy one. In fact, it's incredibly dangerous.
That's fine. I normally don't like traveling with packs... But if you're going to end this war, then I feel like we should help.
Right, Kaden?
Yep! Of course we should! We gotta repay these kind people somehow.
Plus, this town is a great place. The people are really welcoming to us shapeshifters.
I'd happily fight for its safety!

Congrats for not being massacred in this route, guys!

Thank you, both of you. Oh! We haven't even introduced ourselves yet. My name is Corrine.

I can transform into a giant fox if I use a beaststone!
And I'm Keaton, leader of a race known as the wolfskin. I transform into a wolf when I use a beaststone.
Huh, a fox and a wolf? Sounds like you'll be a great help to us.
All right, everyone, follow me. We have to get Xander and Ryoma to stop fighting!

*A moment later*

Wow, two new maps in a row!

However, I will not stop fighting! Nestra was neutral territory until Nohr decided to attack. I'm going to defeat these invaders if it's the last thing I do!

I won't forgive you for destroying this peaceful town!

Actually, I'm glad it's destroyed. That map was kinda annoying to navigate.

Of course. Kingdoms at war will always twist things to benefit themselves.
But, in this case... You could say both of them are right.
What do you mean?
Kaden and Keaton told us all we need to know. Cyrkensia started to fall apart all on its own. Usually, no one would even begin to believe this sort of fairy tale.
But we have firsthand experience with an invisible force bent on destruction.
Are you talking about the invisible soldiers from—

I'm really confused. Were the purple fire guys completely invisible the entire time? Or are they just super invisible this one time? And if that's the case, why didn't they show up and cause this escalation before?

It's only natural that they'd blame one another in this situation.
However, I can see who is responsible.
You can see them too, can't you, Corrine?
I...

Silence! Why won't you just admit that this was all your doing?
You're both wrong! It wasn't Nohrians or Hoshidans that destroyed this town! There are invisible enemies to blame! Can't you see that they're tricking you?

...What the hell's the limit on this Valla curse again if you can specifically point out the enemies. Is it just saying Valla? Does Anankos crtl+F anything involving Canyon and Kingdom within three characters or something?

Invisible enemies? You can't be serious, Corrine.
I'm dead serious! I know the truth! The real enemy is nearby.

"They all came from that really deep canyon!"

Does anyone die if they throw random darts at letters to spell out Valla...?

They're the ones who destroyed this town! They're the real enemy!
But... I don't see—
Look harder, Xander! We have to fight them off if we want to save this town! It's the only way for us to bring peace to the world!

She will unite the kingdoms by somehow beating up both armies easily with a guerilla force.

Although to be fair, you don't have to beat Xander or Ryoma. The victory condition is beating up this Valla Zerker...but you know I'm going to defeat everyone anyway.

Kaden and Keaton are unchanged stat-wise from their respective routes, though that makes Beruka starting at level 9 a little more annoying.

Most of the slots are filled, but there's still two spots left.

Pick 2 (One vote): http://www.strawpoll.me/13319246

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Poll's set so you can only pick one.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tae posted:

Ice Tribe attack? Unless I missed something, I thought was just Flora.

If you clicked on the enemy names in the last mission, it said they were from the ice tribe.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we have a chapter with a gimmick that I don't like, mostly because while they are trying to convey a town in ruins (and on surface presentation, do a decent job of that), the developers really overdid it with the number of bottlenecks/chokepoints in this map. The map is really cramped and limits movement options greatly. And despite having a couple of fliers on hand that would fix this issue, flying over rooftops is apparently too hard to program or something.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tae posted:

It's Keaton and Kaden! That for some reason are both here at the same time...?

Unless it's implying Kaden or Keaton was at the city the same time as the respective paths, this is a bit shoe-horned in for both to appear.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious in retrospect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd rather play Fates over Echoes, personally.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I'd rather play Fates over Echoes, personally.

:frogout:

But assuming you're not yanking our chains, why? Could you elaborate?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

:frogout:

But assuming you're not yanking our chains, why? Could you elaborate?

I didn't grow up with the series as it evolved, the first Fire Emblem game I played was one of the GBA ones. And it's not so long ago that I got ahold of a 3DS and could actually play Awakening for myself. Echoes is a pretty drat faithful remake of FE2, for all that entails. You've got like seven classes, no matter how nice the animations are it loses its luster really quick, since you've only got like seven classes this time. For how much poo poo people (fairly) give the 3DS games, I'd much rather take the Mokushu(sp) forest or Fuga's trial over large mostly featureless plains, many many desert maps or giant poison swamp. If you could learn a skill and switch to another weapon, like FFT, I'd be more forgiving to it but otherwise eh.

Also Echoes doesn't have Berserkers, so what even is the point?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
That scene where Camilla acknowledges Azura? It's actually a lot more important then you realize. Camilla has support conversations dedicated to talking about her siblings, the various deaths and conspiracies that took place in the Nohrian court and her overprotective nature when it comes to her family. She even states that she's look forward to spending time with her.

So what support conversations will she get with Azura later? Absolutely loving nothing. The character who is most defined in her supports that she will fiercly protect her siblings is the only one of the eight royal siblings to completely lack the ability to gain support ranks with Azura.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT!?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm also a man who prefers Fates over Echoes. Sure, Fates is a tirefire when it comes to writing and the presentation is top notch in SoV.

But ugh, the maps in SoV are disgusting. Honestly, I would say that they're worse than Rev maps, and well, we're seeing those right now. SoV has some maps that feel worse than these to play.

I don't mind the systems of SoV. I thought they were neat. But as long as SoV held to the Gaiden map design, it was never going to appeal to people who wanted good maps in the gameplay or good level design.

My second issue is that the UI for SoV doesn't feel as good as Fates. SoV doesn't let you see the whole map on the bottom screen. It's a small thing but it bugs me.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

I'd rather play Conquest over Echoes for sure. Of the 3DS games, I'd go Conquest>>>Echoes/Birthright>Awakening>>>>>>Rev, though I've only recently finished Echoes so it might go down if I ever revisit it.

This map's gimmick is pointless because your best units can all just fly (or for Corrin, be flown) to the boss. Gimmick useless because fliers comes up a lot in Rev.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't think I'm saying that Echoes is bad though! I just have issues with it. Mainly the part where you can't pair up/shelter units to transfer them from place to place. Archers actually having a decent range to their attacks, only needing a single point of speed to double, and no weapon triangle so people can fight with different weapons and not cause ~Ludonarritive Dissonance~ in cutscenes are cool things but voice acting and dungeons aren't enough to make up for only having seven classes.

What I really miss are the old GBA General attacks where they launched axes and lances on chains and then reeled them back in. Those were rad.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

What I really miss are the old GBA General attacks where they launched axes and lances on chains and then reeled them back in. Those were rad.

gently caress yeah there were rad

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I was playing through Conquest when I got Echoes, tried out Echoes and immediately stopped my Conquest play-through. Echoes is just so much more competently done, with actually likeable characters that mostly aren't idiots. The maps can get repetitive, but I think it's basically a wash with Mila's Turnwheel preventing you from having to redo entire maps for a miss-click like in Conquest.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conquest is much better then Echoes, but Echoes is better then Birthright and Rev if you can deal with NES era jank. While the maps are bad, at least a few of them reward creative abuse of what you have available in a way Birthright and Rev never do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like echoes's maps more than conquest :twisted:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

Conquest is much better then Echoes, but Echoes is better then Birthright and Rev if you can deal with NES era jank. While the maps are bad, at least a few of them reward creative abuse of what you have available in a way Birthright and Rev never do.

Gravity and I are completely ignoring gameplay, though; we're just talking about the PLOTS. And Fates as a whole has a nigh-unsalvageable plot.

I mean, if you can only get through a game by skipping literally all the cutscenes (which results in an experience more like chess than Fire Emblem), the story has serious problems. And some people (me, for example) can't get into games if they don't like the story; I'm pretty sure we've been over this already. Plus, some of the gimmicks in Fates are just BAD; Awakening may be boring by your standards because so few of its maps have gimmicks, but at least it doesn't impose gimmicks on the player without explanation like Conquest (and, to a lesser extent, Revelations) does instead of trying to honestly challenge the player (case in point: Zola pulling that ice bomb out of his rear end to force the player to dig to him, and thus multiplying the map's turn count by like 10 for no good reason... or, for a Conquest example, the kitsune map).

Of course, all gameplay ratings are by definition completely subjective, so I doubt my opinion's gonna change yours; I just find Fates' plot abominable and Conquest's gameplay (what I've seen of it, at least) completely insufferable.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Gravity and I are completely ignoring gameplay, though; we're just talking about the PLOTS. And Fates as a whole has a nigh-unsalvageable plot.

I mean, if you can only get through a game by skipping literally all the cutscenes (which results in an experience more like chess than Fire Emblem), the story has serious problems. And some people (me, for example) can't get into games if they don't like the story; I'm pretty sure we've been over this already. Plus, some of the gimmicks in Fates are just BAD; Awakening may be boring by your standards because so few of its maps have gimmicks, but at least it doesn't impose gimmicks on the player without explanation like Conquest (and, to a lesser extent, Revelations) does instead of trying to honestly challenge the player (case in point: Zola pulling that ice bomb out of his rear end to force the player to dig to him, and thus multiplying the map's turn count by like 10 for no good reason... or, for a Conquest example, the kitsune map).

Of course, all gameplay ratings are by definition completely subjective, so I doubt my opinion's gonna change yours; I just find Fates' plot abominable and Conquest's gameplay (what I've seen of it, at least) completely insufferable.

lol at playing Fire Emblem for plot. That is a hilarious fool's errand when it comes to FE considering we haven't had a noteworthy plot since the SNES games. We've had some good casts, but what are you doing if you don't skip the cutscenes after your first run in any FE game. You're in the wrong series if you're here for plot.

Awakening's maps all have the same gimmick of being a featureless square in which you run blobs of stats into each other until you win, which is loving boring to do constantly. The GBA games had maps like that, but usually had interesting groups of enemies that were well placed, and broke up these maps with ones that had more interesting objectives. Revelations is hot flaming garbage, but most of the maps in Conquest have perfectly fine shticks. Hell, even the Kitsune map is relatively easy to manage just by checking the pattern in which the Kitsune swap out their intangibility and positioning accordingly. It rewards creatively moving your guys around in a way that FE usually doesn't, instead of just normal choke point strats when playing defensive.

Granted it seems that anything besides featureless squares with enemies that have blobs of stats is cheating to you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guys, don't start fights over goddamn fates

Also why are Takumi and Camilla winning

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Because it is time to start pairing of units from different nations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Because boobs.

Takumi is merely A boob, but still.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Because it is time to start pairing of units from different nations.

I voted for Selena in the hopes that Tae pairs her with Subaki and makes her her own grandma

Spoiling because I can't remember if we got that kid in Birthright.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting previous characters won't really affect things because the roster spots will be filled by neglected units soon. These are just temp spots until the 40 other characters you guys ignored appear.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

lol at playing Fire Emblem for plot. That is a hilarious fool's errand when it comes to FE considering we haven't had a noteworthy plot since the SNES games. We've had some good casts, but what are you doing if you don't skip the cutscenes after your first run in any FE game. You're in the wrong series if you're here for plot.

There's obviously no getting through to you. I'm not sure why I'm bothering...

Look, Fates' plot is abominable BY FIRE EMBLEM STANDARDS. I'VE written better plots than this, and I stopped writing specifically because I had a bad habit of using overpowered characters and nonsensical plot points! Never before have I felt the need to skip all the scenes in a Fire Emblem game ON MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH. Some of the supports in Awakening? Yes, because I hated some of the characters (Sumia, Cynthia, and Inigo foremost among them), though I eventually made myself go back through and read them despite that. However, when the skipped scenes in my first run outnumber the watched ones, I feel little to no urge to continue.

Also: "Good casts" does NOT include Fates. Not only do I hate the plot, but I have trouble bringing myself to give a drat about the characters as well (the characters I can tolerate are a distinct minority in this game, and Corrin, due to their sheer stupidity combined with the plot bending over backwards to accommodate and enable that stupidity, is not one of them- which makes it even worse because that's who you play as), and frankly the gameplay is not different enough from Awakening (never mind "improved") to make up for these deficits; the most prominent difference is the excessive, gratuitous use of arbitrary, one-off gimmicks, of which I'm pretty sure I have already stated my opinion.

On a related note: None of the characters brought back from Awakening (both the ones who are literally the same character and the ones who're basically interchangeable with the originals) are characters I liked; at least they skipped both of my most-hated characters, but "we brought back a bunch of characters you hate and dumbed them down so they're EVEN WORSE THAN YOU REMEMBER" is not exactly a good thing in my book.

RevolverDivider posted:

Awakening's maps all have the same gimmick of being a featureless square in which you run blobs of stats into each other until you win, which is loving boring to do constantly. The GBA games had maps like that, but usually had interesting groups of enemies that were well placed, and broke up these maps with ones that had more interesting objectives.

Excuse me? Awakening may have been largely COMPOSED of gimmick-less maps, but it wasn't EXCLUSIVELY so. I mean, one map literally makes you fight copies of your team (and is thus literally impossible to beat just by getting higher stats)- how is that NOT a gimmick? And featureless? I don't think you looked at the same maps I did; they may have been primarily composed of plains, but that's largely because any OTHER terrain is an exercise in frustration.

Besides, "gimmick" can include things like "if you don't protect this unarmed VIP unit you lose." Awakening at least had a couple of those.

RevolverDivider posted:

Revelations is hot flaming garbage, but most of the maps in Conquest have perfectly fine shticks. Hell, even the Kitsune map is relatively easy to manage just by checking the pattern in which the Kitsune swap out their intangibility and positioning accordingly. It rewards creatively moving your guys around in a way that FE usually doesn't, instead of just normal choke point strats when playing defensive.

"Perfectly fine shticks" you say? I'd say you're outvoted on this one- everyone else in this thread calls it bullshit, from what I've seen. I'm starting to think your definition of "good game" is based solely on masochism; I, for one, hate it when victory requires obtuse, counterintuitive actions (as nearly every Conquest map does) almost as much as I hate it when success has nothing to do with what I do (or worse, is completely impossible).

RevolverDivider posted:

Granted it seems that anything besides featureless squares with enemies that have blobs of stats is cheating to you.

That "conversation" (to be generous with my descriptions) is already finished; just let it go already. Nobody likes a guy who refuses to let a topic drop (and yes, I am fully aware of how hypocritical this is for me to say; however, you're bringing back a topic I already agreed to drop, so I feel at least somewhat justified despite my hypocrisy).

In closing: Until this post, I hadn't quite realized how much I loathe Fates. This won't stop me from following this LP, largely because I at least want to see the ending for vicarious catharsis (of the "at least it's over" variety; pretty sure there's no other catharsis possible with this game beyond "line both the cast and the writers up and slaughter them with my own hands"), but I can't say it won't stop me from finishing it myself.

Strike one: The plot is insufferably stupid, regardless of the standard you use to judge it. Strike two: The characters are forgettable at best. Strike three: Conquest's gimmicks are poorly-executed, often nonsensical, never foreshadowed or adequately explained, and pretty much invariably detrimental to the game itself. Conclusion: Fates is a horrible game and nobody should play it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You are really mad about Fates for some reason, maybe you shouldn't follow the LP if it makes you angry.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Fates, while having a dumb plot and some bad maps, is still overall fun for most people who've played it. You should probably calm down, guy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Conquest's gameplay is the best in the entire series, and it's so easy to skip the plot that I had forgotten how dumb it was until this thread.

Also, it gave us the first female fighter, and she rules.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end in an hour.

Fight me, Subaki! I know that I can take you down.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Holy hell this is almost more unreadably bad then your crazy cheating rants.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's not exactly a controversial opinion to say Conquest had a lot of really lovely gimmick maps. Sure some of the maps were interesting, like the defense against Takumi map, but others like the Wind Tribe, pots and kitsune maps are just utter garbage, especially the latter two. I'll take my boring, standard maps over poo poo like that any day. Dumb stuff like infinitely spawning faceless that AOE explode when killed is also not actual difficulty, no matter what certain people here might believe. It's just an artificial time limit that I'd much prefer being made an actual time limit for story reasons if they felt like including that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

inthesto posted:

Conquest's gameplay is the best in the entire series, and it's so easy to skip the plot that I had forgotten how dumb it was until this thread.

Also, it gave us the first female fighter, and she rules.

I used to think that about Conquest, but a year and a half on, I'm less sure.

Half the maps revolve around one-off gimmicks that come out of nowhere and leave no trace. Like I said earlier, figuring out how to deal with the winds does nothing to help you deal with the cave of infinite faceless. Each gimmick is an object in space. Some are interesting, some really aren't, but they're almost all isolated.

The game's maps are also really not designed for classic. Often, they're staggered so that you face an easy opening, then have several points of failure where you can easily lose a unit to an unlucky crit or stacking debuffs, meaning you have to repeat the same dull bullshit before you get a chance to figure out what you did wrong and/or avoid getting unlucky. (Which is much more difficult with the modified RNG)

And then there's unit balance, where shuriken and the royals are godlike, while most of your mages are crap.

Conquest's interesting, but no game with the kitsune map can claim to have the best gameplay in the series.

• Locked thread