Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

VolatileSky posted:

After a few days this thing came together really quickly. I wanted a really tall and uniquely profiled vehicle, and was really inspired by that guy that makes that Navigator Household themed army from bits. Also m.ak. stuff from Japanese modellers.

My Inquisition Grav Tank Thing. The upper sensor masts will be magnetised on because this thing is tall at 11.5”/29cm. Besides antennas, I'm trying to figure what I can do for weapon pods. I like the idea of ball turrets, but I really don't feel like making those from scratch - just the idea of making nested spheres makes me ill. So maybe it'll be side mounted weapon arrays instead.

Mostly bits I've had around for years, off cuts from other models that I hung onto, and extra shapes (it's surprisingly useful to make small, oddly shaped trapezoids for use as filler shapes to build off of). The lower "bush guards" are just some bent paperclips I soldered together; I never thought of it before, but that would make some great antenna masts, like on some of the com vehicles in ww2.

Any ideas or changes I should make?

This inspires me.

I'm picturing it as a massive hover-podium for some high ranking iterator or commissar to shout inspiring doctrines and laws over, as rank upon rank of militarum march to the tempo of righteous victory.

It makes me want to make something similar for my noise marine squads.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the 40k thread. Rebased everything from 25mm to 32mm bases, and painted some primaris.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
drat Booley, that's a sharp looking army!

While my photo setup and most of my paints are all packed up, I was able to hash these Prometheum Pipes out today:

It felt so drat good just to paint something again, I tell you what.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Those are some bitchin' BAngels.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Tonight's progress. My first AoS models, need to get them plus my chaos lord done by Monday to start an escalation league. Left to do: Cloth, fur, horns, bones, horses, leather, basing, cleanup, and trying to freehand some nurgle symbols on the banners. Doing a generic studio scheme for now to get it done quickly, might try to nurgle them up later with some yellow and green washes or something.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What do people use as a black backdrop when taking pictures? I have some black paper but it's too reflective. I'd much prefer the background to just look pitch black.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Electric Hobo posted:

What do people use as a black backdrop when taking pictures? I have some black paper but it's too reflective. I'd much prefer the background to just look pitch black.

matte black cloth, put your lights on the sides of the model, bounce light back into the miniature with a reflective white surface below.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

matte black cloth, put your lights on the sides of the model, bounce light back into the miniature with a reflective white surface below.
Okay! I'm not completely sure what the setup should look like, but I think I get the concept. Thanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Yeast posted:

Could you take a pic of the setup and not just the model? I too think I get it, but a pic would help.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If your life is given in service to the Emperor, your death shall not be in vain.

Finished the Chaplain. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, but I actually ended up doing a lot more work on him than I though would take and I don't think it particularly paid off. Specifically, the armor was a mix of 60/40 Dark Prussian Blue and Black (VGC). It just looks black to me. I'm also thinking of hitting it with a satin medium, just to give it a semi-shine, as I think it's too dull at the moment.

This was also my first shot at doing scratches. I think I'm doing it right - lighter color for the scratch, with a dark highlight underneath, right? It's a bit hard on black armor.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Electric Hobo posted:

Black velvet is the best, since it's almost perfectly anti reflective. A decent theatrical grade piece will almost nullify even infra red.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Xaerael posted:

Black velvet is the best, since it's almost perfectly anti reflective. A decent theatrical grade piece will almost nullify even infra red.

Just lol if you don't have a cardboard box covered in Vantablack

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeast posted:

This right here is wisdom. I went through a lot of testing to figure out you can't just stand your min on a black backdrop without creating heavy shadows. Standing the model on a reflective surface (mine is a black frosted glass panel) lets you bounce enough light back to light up the model.

My setup is a little darker than Yeast's, but I like the effect on my dudes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah I'm cheating in that I'm a professional photographer by trade, so when I can be bothered my models get shot with studio flashes and light modifiers like in that image.

But- the same effect can be made with daylight balanced bulbs and some baking / wax paper over them to diffuse the light.

I'll sketch out the setup when I get home, or take a photo of the next one I shoot.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Dubbing this guy Ghost Prider

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 30, 2017

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
So to solder something small that needs some accuracy or atleast to be relatively even, the easiest way i could figure is to make a jig. Carefully measured out the platform it's being attached to, and then drew the outline that I could just follow by laying my wire on it and bending (very carefully). This is the jig for the railing at the top of the vehicle, but sensor masts, guards, can all be done this way.

Holes are then drilled for the posts, and are then set into place at a uniform depth. It's at this point I find out that stainless steel wire, does not take enough heat to allow anything to solder to it with just an electric iron. You would need to use a torch, and this is 1/16" thick, so I was not expecting this issue. All railings were bent again using paper clips. This also kinda hosed up my good iron by over heating from trying to heat the wire enough. Tiny alligator clips were a godsend in holding the railing while I soldered the points that matched up, then aligned up the next point...and so on. For 24 joints :v:

One other error I made was trying to drill matching holes on the top of the platform to get it really seated in. I misaligned the back half, so instead I had to make tiny cut offs of plastic tubes to cover the bottom of each railing post and attache it that way with superglue. (which thankfully the tubes were just large enough to cover my mistake of several holes drilled slightly out of place.

Tiny tubes cut at an angle to hide my mistake. Only needed a dozen! (Honestly that's not bad in recovering from and fixing a mistake like that)

From here I made one antenna array + flag pole, and magnetised the bottom, so it can be a bit more tolerant of getting transported and abused. This part is pretty straight forward, but for the banner pole, I'm thinking I'll try using a printer to print some suitably emperor adoring art on actual fabric.

I don't usually make progress shots except at noticeably dramatic build stages, since I feel like it's subjecting everyone to an adventure through ocd-land as I detail cutting plastic, glueing 500 rivets individually, or explain the tribulations of soldering paperclips.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That thing owns a whole lot.

Weapons wise i always imagine the front opening up, exposing the reactor and bathing everything vaguely in front of it in radiation. Maybe with a skeleton chained to the core.

Might not be a good idea tactically but that never stopped anyone in 40k.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I put what you all said together and pulled Ghost Prider back out. Then I forgot to turn on macro so it's blurry as hell, but the background is the whole point here.

Not too bad. I used an old t-shirt and a black Steel Pad from when I was an annoying gamer kid instead of an annoying mini painting grown man.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Still experimenting with the mod podge water effect. That's just layer 1.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So I finished Haklfem Skuttlespike on Monday:

First Skaven I've ever painted. Tons of fun to paint, though. Forge World is really nailing it with all these Star Player models.

I also put sponsons on all my "ordnance" Leman Russes:

Now I can work on my Primaris Marines!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

VolatileSky posted:

I don't usually make progress shots except at noticeably dramatic build stages, since I feel like it's subjecting everyone to an adventure through ocd-land as I detail cutting plastic, glueing 500 rivets individually, or explain the tribulations of soldering paperclips.

Bathe us in your build log.You got some nice ham-craft there, and I love watching progress on stuff, especially when it's this :krad:!

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Sooooo, I'm taking some photographs of some miniatures to sell them online.

But here's the problem: I'm getting just awful results. It's not that they're under-illuminated; it's that the Foldio lightbox that I'm using creates such sharp lighting that it puts pretty heavy shadow on everything that I'm taking pictures of. Case in point:

So, just for instance: The black background is lit up so brightly that it's picking out the little scraps of white primer left behind on the black background. The shadows are heavy behind the miniatures. Look at, for instance, Bulbasaur's miniatures, or Electric Hobo's Ghost Prider and you see none of those problems. I'm thinking that it's because I have the LED lights too high, or I've got the Foldio misconfigured; I suspect I might even have it upside down, or that the LED lights are meant to "fold in" instead of staying rigid. (There were not a lot of instructions with the Foldio.)

Any suggestions?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Getting back into wargaming and painting after about fifteen years and painted up this Blood Ravens Primaris Captain. I wanted a super metallic basecoat so I went with a Tamiya metallic spray, turned out pretty much how I wanted.

Any comments or pointers would be awesome, I have another fifty to paint :buddy:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Darren MacLennan posted:

Sooooo, I'm taking some photographs of some miniatures to sell them online.

But here's the problem: I'm getting just awful results. It's not that they're under-illuminated; it's that the Foldio lightbox that I'm using creates such sharp lighting that it puts pretty heavy shadow on everything that I'm taking pictures of. Case in point:

So, just for instance: The black background is lit up so brightly that it's picking out the little scraps of white primer left behind on the black background. The shadows are heavy behind the miniatures. Look at, for instance, Bulbasaur's miniatures, or Electric Hobo's Ghost Prider and you see none of those problems. I'm thinking that it's because I have the LED lights too high, or I've got the Foldio misconfigured; I suspect I might even have it upside down, or that the LED lights are meant to "fold in" instead of staying rigid. (There were not a lot of instructions with the Foldio.)

Any suggestions?

It's trial and error in my opinion, but I found that a slow exposure with less harsh lighting is better than a fast one with super bright lights.

For the black backdrop I think your missing either a proper flash or turning your lights down and using a reflective surface on the button.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Xpost from the 40k thread. I found this box buried under a bunch of other stuff while cleaning out my warhams shelves:

Still haven't found a proper replacement, so I'm thanking past-me for this cache.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still having trouble matching the new Citadel Death Guard Green to a Vallejo air color. The Reaper's powerpalette thing matches Death Guard Green to their Ghoul Skin, but I can't find a Ghoul Skin equivalent in Vallejo either. I just want to know which of their 12 shades of slightly green-ish khaki to get.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Still having trouble matching the new Citadel Death Guard Green to a Vallejo air color. The Reaper's powerpalette thing matches Death Guard Green to their Ghoul Skin, but I can't find a Ghoul Skin equivalent in Vallejo either. I just want to know which of their 12 shades of slightly green-ish khaki to get.

Ghoul skin seems to match with Vmc stone grey or vgc heavy warm grey.

Why not just use the reaper color? They airbrush great.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tadhg posted:

Xpost from the 40k thread. I found this box buried under a bunch of other stuff while cleaning out my warhams shelves:

Still haven't found a proper replacement, so I'm thanking past-me for this cache.

You fucker. I'm coming for you.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-posting my Bone Giant:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-posting my Bone Giant:

Way cool. I love the verdigris wash.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey SRM - I've been considering a project with retro ultras colour scheme on modern minis, with grimdark weathering and basing, for a long time. The Primaris minis may be the inspiration I need to get it started.

Would you mind sharing some of your retro ultras wisdom? What ranges of paints did you use to get that saturated look?

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

Tadhg posted:

I am so jealous right now.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-posting my Bone Giant

The desert bases you are doing look great. How are you doing them?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

bonds0097 posted:

Way cool. I love the verdigris wash.

Skails posted:

The desert bases you are doing look great. How are you doing them?

Thanks! The ones on my skellies are actually just resin ones from microart studios. For the Giant I tried to emulate that same look, I used agrellan badland to sculpt the dunes and then just glued sand over everything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks bonds, I'll try the Reaper, I'm still new to airbrushing and am unsure about mixing for it, but I mostly want something already in a dropper.

Related, for you monsters like Chrirugeon who prime on sprue, tell me your techniques for doing so. I want to start doing so with characters.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I'm also interested in priming on sprue, particularly how you would handle zenithal style. (I've got some Chaos Marine shoulderpads I haven't cut free yet, and I'm thinking it might be easier to just leave them on there and then glue them onto the finished posed dudes.)

Meanwhile, it's Oath Crosspostin' Time! :toot:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Complete!

(Bonus nerdliness: I raced to finish this oath after a D&D game earlier Friday evening!)

At this time, I'd like to formally request membership in the gently caress Painting Yellow Forever Club, because this banner quickly turned into a pain in the kiester. Also, my freehand continues to be execrable. Also, remind me, if I use painter's tape on future projects, don't use a standard brush, just use the airbrush. kthx

Challenge Completed: Raise Your Flag (the halfling's banner)

Full album is here. I might add a couple of individual shots of these guys later.

And as promised, here are the solo pics of these guys. Note the big old line of dried paint on the flag where I got way too zealous with the painter's tape and couldn't be bothered/ran out of time to fix it.

The orc drumhead is made from the skin of most of a person. The body of the drum is a base coat of Vallejo Black Red, followed by progressively smaller washes of Bloodletter to build up the rounded appearance. Really simple, though for some reason the effect isn't as obvious in some if these pics.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That Black Orc is ridiculously awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks bonds, I'll try the Reaper, I'm still new to airbrushing and am unsure about mixing for it, but I mostly want something already in a dropper.

Related, for you monsters like Chrirugeon who prime on sprue, tell me your techniques for doing so. I want to start doing so with characters.

Reaper paints are thinner than VMC/VGC but not as thin as VGA/VMA. I find that a drop of thinner and flow improver for 5 or so drops of reaper paints work well. I've been doing a lot of airbrushing with the Reaper HDs as well and really like 'em.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

That Black Orc is ridiculously awesome.

Thanks! I saw this guy and immediately thought "yep, that's gonna need the old Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit treatment." The skin was actually pretty easy; it's a base of VMC German Fieldgrey, midtone of P3 Traitor Green, washed with GW Athonian Camoshade and highlighted with P3 Cryx Bane Highlight. (The Athonian also looked really nice over just zenithal priming, but not so much over the black primer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, that serious boner giant and stoic Orc are going to be hard to follow but I gotta try.

Thread, meet Sern, the Barbarian Treasure Hunter

Before joining the warband, he often would traverse the other side of the mountains and into the lowlands, pursuing rumours of treasure and taking bounties on criminals and beasts, alike. His last outing, however, while fruitful, was not without incident. Having drawn the ire of a goblin horde, he retreated as quickly as he could back to town, to spend his promised payment on his new sword, expensive dyes and a new horse.

"And that shaman that I left on his arse? Well, he didn't much appreciate that and er... if you're ever planning on a trip to New Brough, I'd give it a miss. At least for a few years..."