Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was the last major kid's adventure film starring kids that JJ Abrams one with the alien escaping a train?

Stranger Things isn't a movie but it got talked about as much as one. I think the kid actress who played Eleven got cast in Godzilla 2 and other stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Basebf555 posted:

Decades from now no one but a select few will remember that Jai Courtney era, something I'll always be able to say I lived through. Makes you think.

Whenever I see Jai Courtney's name, I picture Michael Jai White. I had to google him just now just to remember that he's "We couldn't afford Chris Evans."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jai Courtney probably made more money, but I would totally rather have Michael Jai White's career.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jai Courtney was good in Spartacus

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

Correct, the band's jumping off point was supposed to be The Boondock Saints soundtrack. The shoot for the album cover was absolutely hilarious. Duffy's attitude towards the band was ridiculously schizophrenic. One day he'd be saying stuff like "this movie poo poo is just a fun hobby, the real business is the band", then the next day it would be "remember, the movie is what put us here, we have to think of the movie first and foremost". Basically what it comes down to is Duffy was an alcoholic who would say random poo poo while on a bender.

And yea it says in the documentary that Duffy got $300,000 for the script, part ownership in a loving dive bar, and the opportunity to direct the film(and I suppose some sort of basic salary for that work). And final cut.

No DVD sales whatsoever, and had streaming been a thing back then I'm betting he'd have been dumb enough to forego those rights as well.

Yeah, the band was originally called the Brood (because of loving course they were, it was the late 90s) and their signing and doing the soundtrack were also part of Weinstein's original offer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

davidspackage posted:

The effects work is great (and gross) and I looove the concept of the Vietcong beating back the invaders with a f'ing rivergod, but it kinda gets ruined by the government guy laying out a ridiculous monologue about reality distortion and other nonsense. That stuff would be okay in a videogame, not here.

I love Blomkamp's aesthetic and I still think his cancelled Halo and Alien projects are huge missed opportunities, but these Oats shorts do nothing for me. They're 25 minute trailers for stories that will probably never be finished. I'd much rather he pour his effort into another full length feature.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

marshmallow creep posted:

Teen Titans GO is entertaining in its own right for how batshit it can be and what it seems to get away with. Like, the last episode I watched with my kids was a competition between Robin and Kid Flash to be the first to stop 52 crimes. Santa Claus sings a song about how teammates are garbage. Robin wins by going full Tonya Harding and breaking Kid Flash's knee. Final shot is Kid Flash crippled and crying in pain. :stare:

It had Weird Al as Darkseid which ruled

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It had beast boy make a new crypto currency, which was just literally bees, and then when Robin was in dire straights, made him "Dance for yo bees". It's a bizarre, fun, madcap show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

davidspackage posted:

The effects work is great (and gross) and I looove the concept of the Vietcong beating back the invaders with a f'ing rivergod, but it kinda gets ruined by the government guy laying out a ridiculous monologue about reality distortion and other nonsense. That stuff would be okay in a videogame, not here.

Where does this happen in the movie? Sounds hilarious.

edit: lol, watching it now. That CIA guy is a one man suspense deflator. Way to give away the mystery by blathering about a river god, then spend the next minutes following him proving that yes, its a river god. Bad writing in a project associated with Blompkamp? I never

edit 2: making a movie with moneyshot Diablo 2 cutscenes not as fun as you would hope for.

edit 3: oof, finished it. Real bad, real amateur level storytelling here. On a script, plotting level. Let's finish off basically a sizzle reel with a guy never stopping talking, capping a 25 mins of never ending backstory and flashbacks. None of these characters make sense.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Death Note trailer.
Dafoe is insanely perfect. I'm stoked.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jumanji's trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85IHLST7Js

Is...not what I was expecting.

On the one hand, this does not look good. On the other hand, I want Marc Evan Jackson to keep getting work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the little kid movies in the early-mid 90s were a demographic thing. Just before that there were a bunch of films about people having babies (including, oddly enough, Ghostbusters II), so I think they were targeting an actual baby boom.

And of course Home Alone was a surprise hit that became one of the biggest movies of all time so that was part of it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"what if we removed everything good and memorable from Jumanji and had Kevin Hart scream for two hours?"
It's not like they could have Robin Williams in it again and I don't know what else might be 'good and memorable' about Jumanji. I might be slightly biased though because the Office Depot I was working in while going to school played the drat movie nonstop for like five months one summer to show off this fancy new DVD technology that everyone was going crazy for.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
In Jumanji game escapes into life, in Jumanji 2 life escapes into game! :ussr:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jumanji's trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85IHLST7Js

Is...not what I was expecting.

So, the Rock is essentially video game Den?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the little kid movies in the early-mid 90s were a demographic thing. Just before that there were a bunch of films about people having babies (including, oddly enough, Ghostbusters II), so I think they were targeting an actual baby boom.

And of course Home Alone was a surprise hit that became one of the biggest movies of all time so that was part of it.

The echo boom is a real thing yeah, although nowhere near as massive as THE baby boom.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first time I even heard anyone refer to Millennials they were called "Echo Boomers". Which sounds like a enemy type in a FPS.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Millenials as a generation are larger than the boomers actually

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

Millenials as a generation are larger than the boomers actually

I thought both terms were overused and spanned decades apiece.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Generation is a useful concept but the pop sci baggage around them does indeed suck, but generations do tend to vary in culture and priority, and boomers were initially just notable for being the huge nimbers of children born during the post war economic boom. Millenial is used in a bunch of garbage ways but it is a generation of people and its the largest single generation of people. If you say nothing else about them then that's their most notable trait

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Oh c'mon "post war economic boom"

It was Rosie the Riveter and the sailor suit man doing kisses to jazz music and a lot of booze.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it was the rise of suburbs, soldiers coming home during the age of the GI bill and many finding work and education and stability that fed a desire to pump out children after more than a decade of hard fuckin' living for much of the country

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Lot of words to say it was not consensual.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm just kidding at this point. But there was a PTSD psychosexual thing going on there as well. And women competing for the few men left who could do the dirty deed. The make-up, stockings and bullet bras were off the charts.

Birth control was bleach with ammonia. Abortions were a hanging offense.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
To bring it back to movies Mulholland Falls and LA Confidential best epitomize this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NorgLyle posted:

It's not like they could have Robin Williams in it again and I don't know what else might be 'good and memorable' about Jumanji. I might be slightly biased though because the Office Depot I was working in while going to school played the drat movie nonstop for like five months one summer to show off this fancy new DVD technology that everyone was going crazy for.
It's this, unironically:

wyoming posted:

In Jumanji game escapes into life, in Jumanji 2 life escapes into game! :ussr:

The elements of the Jumanji game being unleashed on the real world were a huge part of the original movie. Elephants in the street, monkeys in the store, the lion in the mansion, etc. Without that, the new movie is just "idiot kids in a jungle".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I don't know what the last big kid action movie was but I know what the next one will be

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/879957239653580800

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I'm just kidding at this point. But there was a PTSD psychosexual thing going on there as well.

I remember a friend thinking about why you saw so many people drinking in post-war film and TV programs, or the famed "three-martini lunch" that was popular with business folks up until the '70s. The revelation was that it was veterans becoming functional alcoholics and drinking their PTSD away.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Detective No. 27 posted:

Death Note trailer.
Dafoe is insanely perfect. I'm stoked.

I only know the premise and have never read the manga or watched the anime but this actually intrigues me because the idea is applied on a global scope. I always thought it was some silly horror movie, and they could've absolutely gone that way, but they're looking at the bigger picture and it's neat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

syscall girl posted:

To bring it back to movies Mulholland Falls and LA Confidential best epitomize this.

Looking up the trailer for Falls, I saw that Michael Madsen was in it. Wondering what happened to him, I found this article: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/5gkwe3/the-slow-star-death-of-michael-madsen-724

And most importantly, I found this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4dl_4WLwqo

Whooooo that is amaaaazing

edit: ^^^ I"ve seen that trailer like 4 times now, and when I'm watching one that is boring, I just flip it to the Death Note one instead.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 30, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The elements of the Jumanji game being unleashed on the real world were a huge part of the original movie. Elephants in the street, monkeys in the store, the lion in the mansion, etc. Without that, the new movie is just "idiot kids in a jungle".

Totally agreed. Now, there's still a chance that the movie uses the video game motif really well in a bunch of interesting ways, but right now it does look like idiots bumbling around in a jungle.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jumanji 2 is Jungle Tron without any of the aesthetics that define Tron. It also has the unfortunate side effect of making me think of The Rundown, a movie that I would likely prefer watching. Maybe it'll be a fun family movie, though, I dunno.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

Jumanji 2 is Jungle Tron without any of the aesthetics that define Tron. It also has the unfortunate side effect of making me think of The Rundown, a movie that I would likely prefer watching. Maybe it'll be a fun family movie, though, I dunno.

'Welcome to the Jungle' was The Rundown's title in Germany so yeah, same.

Basebf555 posted:

Totally agreed. Now, there's still a chance that the movie uses the video game motif really well in a bunch of interesting ways, but right now it does look like idiots bumbling around in a jungle.

We already saw everyone except Kevin Hart being able to dash, I guess at the very least we'll see some goofy 90's video game-based superpowers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

I thought both terms were overused and spanned decades apiece.

Yeah, millennial is especially hilarious because between contempt for young people and being terrified of getting older it just keeps getting broader and broader until now it's being used to describe people in their 40s all the way down to current elementary schoolers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

We already saw everyone except Kevin Hart being able to dash, I guess at the very least we'll see some goofy 90's video game-based superpowers.

It really needs to be a main focus, not just a few throwaway moments though, so we're gonna just have to see the movie to find out. The original Jumanji wasn't like some showcase for the comedy stylings of Robin Williams, so I'm hoping that the whole movie isn't just The Rock and Kevin Hart riffing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Kevin Hart gets weapons expertise and zoology which I guess means animal control (we see him riding an elephant in the trailer) and at the start of the video the Rock says his character has super strength and a boomerang attack. Jack Black's character is a "cartographer, code-breaker, curvy genius" but seems to be impervious to crushing damage. Karen Gillan's character description is "fighter, killer of men".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, millennial is especially hilarious because between contempt for young people and being terrified of getting older it just keeps getting broader and broader until now it's being used to describe people in their 40s all the way down to current elementary schoolers.

Everything makes so much more sense if you have a thing for your browser that replaces the word "millennial" with "kids these days."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Everything makes so much more sense if you have a thing for your browser that replaces the word "snake person" with "kids these days."

Mine replaces it with "snake person"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kevin Hart gets weapons expertise and zoology which I guess means animal control (we see him riding an elephant in the trailer) and at the start of the video the Rock says his character has super strength and a boomerang attack. Jack Black's character is a "cartographer, code-breaker, curvy genius" but seems to be impervious to crushing damage. Karen Gillan's character description is "fighter, killer of men".

So its a stealth dungeons and dragons movie? Kickass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

So its a stealth dungeons and dragons movie? Kickass

loving hell now I really wish they'd found a cursed D&D set instead of making GBS threads Jumanji.

• Locked thread