Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The BBC used to be a really good public service broadcaster, but over time it's become heavily influenced by market forces and the persistent threat of funding cuts. It still does some excellent natural history documentaries and stuff like that but its current affairs output is gunshy and risk averse and increasingly out of touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TomViolence posted:

The BBC used to be a really good public service broadcaster, but over time it's become heavily influenced by market forces and the persistent threat of funding cuts. It still does some excellent natural history documentaries and stuff like that but its current affairs output is gunshy and risk averse and increasingly out of touch.

But it still produces the most well known and probably watched political programs apart from maybe Channel 4 (also publicly funded).

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Weekly Wipe is still good yeah?

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

namesake posted:

But it still produces the most well known and probably watched political programs apart from maybe Channel 4 (also publicly funded).

it has adverts though it's not the same

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

Weekly Wipe is still good yeah?

There hasn't been a weekly wipe since last year tho

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Headline: Corbin fires labour frontbenchers for refusing to back hard brexit

Corbyn twitter: Yaaas absolute boy wins the egg

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Yeah, corbyn ruling with an iron fist IS cool

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I will concede that pledging to end EU freedom of movement and hire 20,000 police are easily the worst things about Corbyn

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Could he credibly oppose brexit at this point?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i think corbyn and labour might have a mutual thing going on, like corbyn softening on brexit to make it focus on protecting labor and making concessions to do so, labour adopting and enacting corbyn's platform because it won them many seats

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vox Nihili posted:

Could he credibly oppose brexit at this point?

Not really. Labour's voter base is divided over the issue far more than the other parties' voters are. He has to do a tightrope act here: on the one hand he wants to respect the outcome of a legitimate (if really stupid) referendum and needs to retain his appeal to a working-class population that has been harmed by globalization, and on the other hand Brexit is going to be a shitshow and everyone knows it. So his strategy is basically to talk up good left-wing policy that would be hampered by remaining in the EU (like nationalization of several industries) while also demanding that the Tory government retain all the good things about EU membership (which they definitely can't do). Also, as leader of the opposition, he doesn't want party to look fractured and uncertain; hence all the three-line Brexit whips.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

There hasn't been a weekly wipe since last year tho

Yeah it's been a Yearly Wipe for a few years now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
is toilet paper that scarce in the UK?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

what on earth is happening on that island

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Der Meister posted:

The domestic and foreign ruling class fears to tread here and the results are decidedly mixed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rudatron posted:

how can one man have so many wrong opinions simultaneously

What could anyone have against The New Yorker?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Der Meister posted:

The saboteurs are getting crushed.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Because the brits pay a tax on TV, most of their channels don't have commercials.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Good, the EU is exploitative and undemocratic.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Because the brits pay a tax on TV, most of their channels don't have commercials.

Actually only the BBC channels don't have adverts sadly

Make ads illegal imo - I already pay to watch TV

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

untrue but we don't get anywhere near as many ad breaks compared to the US

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

only bbc ones don't
we have like 100 freeview channels and probably like 10 are bbc (a lot of those 100 are like +1 channels or weird garbage that no-one watches though)

basically all of the rest have adverts. but less than americans iirc, an average of 7 minutes an hour

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jose posted:

untrue but we don't get anywhere near as many ad breaks compared to the US

i always found it weird watching the simpsons where they'd fade out for like 3 sets of ads

gently caress that poo poo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The head of Kensington Council has resigned, and looked like a twat whilst doing it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Samovar posted:

The head of Kensington Council has resigned, and looked like a twat whilst doing it.

The same guy who was saying "we're canceling this meeting because the public is going to get to hear about it"?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

silvergoose posted:

The same guy who was saying "we're canceling this meeting because the public is going to get to hear about it"?

Yep. May turned on him, not that I suspect he could have survived had she not.

quote:

Downing Street has condemned Kensington and Chelsea council for closing down its first cabinet meeting since the Grenfell Tower fire after failing to have the media barred from it.

A No 10 spokeswoman said the prime minister “would have expected the council to respect” a high court ruling that said journalists should be allowed to attend the meeting.

At the meeting, Paget-Brown made a statement about the council’s response to the fire, in which at least 80 people died, including a partial apology.

He then adjourned the meeting, saying journalists’ presence could prejudice the public inquiry. It is not clear how this could prejudice the inquiry, as it will be led by Sir Martin Moore-Bick, a retired appeal court judge, rather than a jury.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

jBrereton posted:

he'll be back just like the gordon ramsay sex dwarf

you dont come back from an otter mauling, im afraid.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

boris pig

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
BBC alba is the best as far as I can tell it's only sheep herding.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

hakimashou posted:

What could anyone have against The New Yorker?

Andy Borowitz is horribly unfunny/bad

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Yossarian-22 posted:

Andy Borowitz is horribly unfunny/bad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like Andy No Wits About Him!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

consumed by normies posted:

man i feel extremely jealous of uk politics atm. the lefts rise has been amazing
you should feel jealous cuz it's never going to happen in america, where our system is completely broken and unaccountable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

get that OUT of my face posted:

you should feel jealous cuz it's never going to happen in america, where our system is completely broken and unaccountable

The UK system is just the American one except without any proper ideals like freedom of speech or transparency since our citizens are subjects of the crown and only a hundred years ago killing poor people was literally government policy.

America needs to sack up, you're basically where we were in 2005 except your Gordon Brown lost to a deranged Nazi chimpanzee rather than a Teflon pigfucker.
They're gonna bring in American Ed Miliband who will be a corporate shill while unconvincingly talking Bernie stuff and lose again in 2020. But then in 2025 when the bluedogs have been shattered you can primary an actual leftist.
The primary system actually sorta benefits leftists since if there's a shock upset and a lefty gets it there isn't enough time for the democratic party to character assassinate him since they've gotta run an election at this point (lol jk they will try anyway)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
America doesn't actually have much in common wit hBritain when it comes to this stuff imo we're socially closest to the Victorian UK with fewer proles, a heavily militarized racial-colonial empire whose elites are deluded into thinking they have embarked on a civilizing mission

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
hey
hey yall

jeremy corbown

heh heh heh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/Jonathan__Leake/status/881050703539699716

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine being a terrorist in Britain today. Life's just one huge :facepalm: that you never thought to hold a lighter up against the outside of a residential highrise.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vehicular homicide isn't nearly as terrifying as bloodsucking landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/lukewsavage/status/881230711730180101