Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

At what point did the writers figure out how stupid these characters were and decide to make them stupid on purpose? Because man the show was so great this season when they decided to go full blown "Time Dummies"

I'm sorry I don't mean to be pedantic or anything but technically it's "Time Idiots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just love that the spear that trumps time travel because it alters reality, the solution is "go back in time and take the spear before they use it".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the characters were always stupid on purpose. Like the original premise is basically "Rip Hunter scoops up a motley crew of losers because he says they're destined to be Legends, but really he's a liar and a fuckup too, but they all come to earn it." In Season 2 they just downplayed that "they all come to earn it" part a little and ramped up the open acknowledgement of the first part. But I think if you go back to S1 there's plenty of "God, we hosed up, we shouldn't be here" just like in S2.

But there's no Legion of Doom giving snarky commentary from the peanut gallery. Which was big. S3 is going to weigh a lot on who their villain is.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

I think the characters were always stupid on purpose. Like the original premise is basically "Rip Hunter scoops up a motley crew of losers because he says they're destined to be Legends, but really he's a liar and a fuckup too, but they all come to earn it." In Season 2 they just downplayed that "they all come to earn it" part a little and ramped up the open acknowledgement of the first part. But I think if you go back to S1 there's plenty of "God, we hosed up, we shouldn't be here" just like in S2.

But there's no Legion of Doom giving snarky commentary from the peanut gallery. Which was big. S3 is going to weigh a lot on who their villain is.

Rip lied his rear end off to get them to join him dumb crusade. Eventually, Rip told them the truth: he picked them because their absence had no impact on the timeline, they were nobodies. Just like him.

Like, Ray has multiple PhDs and is dumber than dirt. Stein is the prototypical intellectual with his head up his rear end. Nate is only around because he knows history good (which, big deal, they have an AI that can do the same thing). Amaya is literally from 75 years in the past. Snart was the best person on the team until he died. The smartest person on the crew is Jackson and that's because he pays attention, learns from mistakes, and admits he is fallible.
Mick was brainwashed.
Rip dressed like a cowboy wannabe (even admitting he fanboys hard over the old west) complete with blaster-that-looks-like-a-revolver.
Also, Sara is a competent leader, pilot, and hand-to-hand rear end-kicker. That's about it.

God must be on their side because it certainly isn't skill that helped them defeat the legion of doom.

With all that, it knows exactly what it is and embraces it. I cannot wait for Season 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Right, but the point is that was always the premise. That wasn't something the show stumbled into or just accepted from bad writing. It started with Rip lying to inflate the egos of nobody fuckups to drag them into his fuckup mission.

The difference is that in S1 they used that dramatically to try and make it a compelling heroic turnaround. In S2 they just tweak it to play it comedically and give them foils who mock them constantly about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amaya is like the one person who doesn't belong because her absence does effect the timeline. I know they chose the original actors more for availability but if you think about it them being just completely absent going forward does work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Amaya is like the one person who doesn't belong because her absence does effect the timeline. I know they chose the original actors more for availability but if you think about it them being just completely absent going forward does work.

"Consistent time travel rules?" - This show

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

S3 is going to weigh a lot on who their villain is.

Barry Allen

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Season 1 was so bad entirely due to the hawk people and Vandal Savage cooking tuna surprise doesn't make up for it.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

this would be unironically awesome

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Space Crabs posted:

Season 1 was so bad entirely due to the hawk people and Vandal Savage cooking tuna surprise doesn't make up for it.

Well that too. All the "motley crew of losers chosen because they're losers" was undercut quite a bit by the Savage/Hawks whole pretentious destiny poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope they stick with the Season 2 model and just give another random grab bag of Arrowverse villains access to time travel tech and let them ham it up together. The Legion of Doom worked stupidly well last year.

Like, hell, bring Lillian Luthor over from Supergirl and give her a time machine. What could go wrong?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC has several more decent time travel villains they can use.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They kind of blew their load on quality Arrow-verse villains last season. There's not a lot of obvious options left who would have the same kind of commanding presence and not just seem like a Legion knockoff.

But there's infinite options from the DC world so it's just a matter of them making the right call and casting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I say make an evil Metron and have him take Grodd as a pet

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

They kind of blew their load on quality Arrow-verse villains last season. There's not a lot of obvious options left who would have the same kind of commanding presence and not just seem like a Legion knockoff.

But there's infinite options from the DC world so it's just a matter of them making the right call and casting.

Adrian Chase somehow didn’t die.

Really I just want more of that actor, he was awesome.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Season 3 deserves a new thread and OP when that time comes. Just sayin. I've been waiting for Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian and the Idiots of Tomorrow thread for a little while now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Brotherhood of Evil might be fun villains for this show. Them and other Doom Patrol bad guys. You have Warp, who can travel in time; General Immortus, who's an immortal soldier who taught Sun Tzu how to fight; Madame Rouge, who has super-stretching powers; Houngan, who's a high-tech voodoo priest; Plasmus, who's a German sludge monster who can melt anything he touches; the Brain, who's a brain in a jar on a Dalek body; and Monsieur Mallah, a heavily-armed super-intelligent French gorilla.

Their whole motivation for the past 30 years or so is that the Brain and Monsieur Mallah are in love and they're trying to find technology that will let the Brain grow a body so he can gently caress a talking gorilla.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress the Brotherhood of evil, bring on the Brotherhood of Dada.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Wheat Loaf posted:

Brotherhood of Evil might be fun villains for this show. Them and other Doom Patrol bad guys. You have Warp, who can travel in time; General Immortus, who's an immortal soldier who taught Sun Tzu how to fight; Madame Rouge, who has super-stretching powers; Houngan, who's a high-tech voodoo priest; Plasmus, who's a German sludge monster who can melt anything he touches; the Brain, who's a brain in a jar on a Dalek body; and Monsieur Mallah, a heavily-armed super-intelligent French gorilla.

Their whole motivation for the past 30 years or so is that the Brain and Monsieur Mallah are in love and they're trying to find technology that will let the Brain grow a body so he can gently caress a talking gorilla.

That sounds absolutely terrible perfect!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sure, there's a lot of overlap between them.

It'd be super fun if the Legends showed up in the 1960s and found that because of their time-fuckery, the entire decade is now this ultra-campy Silver Age decade where the Doom Patrol are the main heroes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'd love another Legion-style season featuring Adrian Chase, just being completely perplexed about how the Legends have managed to not blow themselves up yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Doom Patrol and their whole rouges gallery is 200% too good for this world and they'll never get their own series.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They already used them in Season 2. They were just off camera the entire time.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

irlZaphod posted:

I'd love another Legion-style season featuring Adrian Chase, just being completely perplexed about how the Legends have managed to not blow themselves up yet.

I think Chase would legit end up killing half the team. Not the whole team, but only because he'd get too drat bored before that point.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Screw it, since time is broken, just bring back the Legion for another go around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zebulon posted:

I think Chase would legit end up killing half the team. Not the whole team, but only because he'd get too drat bored before that point.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Chase he doesn't fit for Legends at all. He's a ruthless homicidal psychopath solely driven by an obsession with Oliver Queen. Shoe horning him into Legends, somehow giving him time travel abilities, and toning him down so he doesn't just kill everyone would be the sort of thing I'd think we'd be critical of CW for doing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rip should find a new group of time masters and pursue the Legends trying to correct their aberrations. The whole season they are on the run from an unknown pursue and it's just another group of better superheroes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rip should find a new group of time masters and pursue the Legends trying to correct their aberrations. The whole season they are on the run from an unknown pursue and it's just another group of better superheroes.

I would not be surprised if this is what actually happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've already talked about how next season is Rip putting together a new group to replace the Time Masters. Who are obviously not happy with the Legends "breaking" time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

A team composed of Firefly, Rocket Red, Animal Man, Natasha Irons, Jason Blood/Etrigan, Booster Gold and led in the field by Tarantula

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of want Mon El to have jumped to the future and joined the Legion and now they want to stop the time villains who hosed everything up.

But then I remember that Legends really fouled up the JSA.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd love to see The Quiz show up on tv. How do you not get effed on a technicality vs 'every power you didn't think of'.

E: have any Morrison era Doom Patrol types (good or evil) shown up in DC shows?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 30, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rip should find a new group of time masters and pursue the Legends trying to correct their aberrations. The whole season they are on the run from an unknown pursue and it's just another group of better superheroes Time Idiots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'd love to see The Quiz show up on tv. How do you not get effed on a technicality vs 'every power you didn't think of'.

I know he was created by the writer who followed Morrison (and I quite unfortunately can't remember her name), but I hope the Codpiece shows up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: have any Morrison era Doom Patrol types (good or evil) shown up in DC shows?

Number None has already appeared multiple times last season as a cameo so

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

GigaPeon posted:

Screw it, since time is broken, just bring back the Legion for another go around.

Snart just shows up, with memories of Season 1 and Season 2.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Test Pattern posted:

Snart just shows up, with memories of Season 1 and Season 2.

Why not? Thawne remembered working with Team Flash.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Chokes McGee posted:

Number None has already appeared multiple times last season as a cameo so

Number None plays like 10 regulars on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Quiz shows up for three seconds - They see her flying over the city, Mick goes "Oh great, she can fly? I bet she's invulnerable too like Skirt." and she just falls to her death.

• Locked thread