Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well in the case of a PIAT, you got a pretty sweet catapult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Escalate your food fight into a food war with the PIAT system! :discourse:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:350:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

What do you even do with a privately-owned bazooka, anyway

It's like none of y'all are 'Mericans or something.

Ask again next Tuesday. :911:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"Amnesty", possibly - usually I see this in relation to traffic or parking tickets, or overdue library books. :v: (Montana/Eastern WA, over the years.) IIRC, in metro areas weapons amnesties have been done, which have now been supplanted by "gun buy-backs", which still function as a way to dispose of scary/unwanted/stolen or will-draw-lots-of-heat crime guns.

Artist Tom Sachs has a history of making cheapo zip guns and selling them to the NYPD gun buybacks for as much as $300.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TerminalSaint posted:

Artist Tom Sachs has a history of making cheapo zip guns and selling them to the NYPD gun buybacks for as much as $300.

A few years ago a representative from Connecticut introduced a bill to the house, which she gave the tortuous name of the "Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for Our Streets Act" so that it would have a catchy acronym.

It would have provided a $2,000 refundable tax credit to anyone who turned an "assault weapon" over to the cops. I could have turned in my $95 SKS and bought a tricked-out AR, it was amazing. Hell, since legally speaking it's the lower receiver of an AR that's considered the "firearm," you could turn in cheap-as-dirt polymer lowers and collect thousands of dollars in tax credits. I really wanted that one to pass.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phanatic posted:

"Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for Our Streets Act" so that it would have a catchy acronym.

SAFE ROSA?

SAFEARFOSA?

:confused:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyrano4747 posted:

SAFE ROSA?

SAFEARFOSA?

probably just SAFE

but yeah I did this exact exercise when I saw it was meant to be used as an acronym and had the same reaction

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

SAFE ROSA?

SAFEARFOSA?

Well, it is one letter off from SAFER [U]SA...?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, it is one letter off from SAFER [U]SA...?

SAFER OSA?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

For Ur Streets Act

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

SAFE ROSA?

SAFEARFOSA?

SAFER Streets Act.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Selfies

Edit:

Photoshoots
Re-enactment
Paper weight
Conversation starter on the coffee table
Collectable (Own all 4 variants!)
Poking stick
Walking stick
Club
ForgottenWeapons range day loaner

There's an embarrassing lack of 'Using as a dick prop in pictures' on this list.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Damnit, knew I missed one

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hogge Wild posted:

Bombs dropped by Allied forces during WWII:

Why did the British bomb Nigeria sometime in 1942?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

THEY KNOW WHY

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

StandardVC10 posted:

A prince stole Churchill's SSN after a telegram promising an exciting new front that the prince himself couldn't open.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Polyakov posted:

How would they fuse them for that long? I wouldnt have thought electronics were that advanced or common in Russia at that time.

There were also radio commanded fuses. When Finns encountered these in 1941 and figured the frequency the bombs were set to, they started playing music non-stop on that frequency until the bomb batteries were drained. And so the first 24/7 music station was born.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Cyrano4747 posted:

SAFER OSA?

Maybe she was hoping to get the bill some broader appeal by making its name almost sound like an album by The Pixies?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

SAFER OSA?

I agree, it could be made safer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Saferosa sounds like a character from Fury Road as directed by the Care Bears.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I doubt safer osha has a chance of making it in this current administration.

Was talking to a Vietnam vet and he was convinced 99% of draftees ended up in the army. Of course the draft pushed more qualified people to volunteer in the navy/air force/college/seminary and the 99% figure is obviously exaggerated and a minority of personnel were drafted but I couldn't find the breakdown of how draftees were distributed among branches in my brief googling.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I have an odd question, but does anyone have a good source on the Lille pocket in 1940? I just found out that 40,000 Frenchmen held off 7 divisions during the Fall of France and might have directly contributed to the sheer amount of men, but my brief googling found only a few clickbait articles and a woefully short wikipedia article. It seems depressingly obscure for something so important.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pontius Pilate posted:

I doubt safer osha has a chance of making it in this current administration.

Was talking to a Vietnam vet and he was convinced 99% of draftees ended up in the army. Of course the draft pushed more qualified people to volunteer in the navy/air force/college/seminary and the 99% figure is obviously exaggerated and a minority of personnel were drafted but I couldn't find the breakdown of how draftees were distributed among branches in my brief googling.

Off the top of my head I think 2/3rds of draftees ended up as infantry in the army? It was pretty disproportionate as you might expect - the whole point of advertising enlisting/becoming an officer was that you got to pick your MOS. There are a bunch of stories of enlisted volunteers and draftees being in boot camp together, and the draftees knowing they were almost certainly going to end up in Vietnam as an infantryman.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Apparently it was an error by the person that made the gif, they reversed the lat and long and that was meant to be in Italy somewhere

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don Gato posted:

I have an odd question, but does anyone have a good source on the Lille pocket in 1940? I just found out that 40,000 Frenchmen held off 7 divisions during the Fall of France and might have directly contributed to the sheer amount of men, but my brief googling found only a few clickbait articles and a woefully short wikipedia article. It seems depressingly obscure for something so important.

With a certain film relase looming towards the cinema now would be a good time to look a bit deeper into the Battle Of France yeah, so any book suggestions if anyone can help Don Gato here too?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I ended up looking into the "some other region conquers the world" counterfactual again, and the most recent argument I've seen is that the western world was involved in more warfare than the rest of the world; is that true? I would've thought the middle east and india at least were on par.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

spectralent posted:

I ended up looking into the "some other region conquers the world" counterfactual again, and the most recent argument I've seen is that the western world was involved in more warfare than the rest of the world; is that true? I would've thought the middle east and india at least were on par.

No?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

spectralent posted:

sounds like some Victor Davis Hanson poo poo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jamwad Hilder posted:

sounds like some Victor Davis Hanson poo poo

Reading up it's almost certainly this guy's arguments I hit on and also jesus christ that loving guy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

spectralent posted:

Reading up it's almost certainly this guy's arguments I hit on and also jesus christ that loving guy.

His early stuff about hoplite warfare was actually really good, in my opinion. I think 9/11 broke his brain because since then almost everything he puts out is about how The West is inherently superior and garbage like "mixed-race cultures are doomed to fail".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

howe_sam posted:

The US bombed the gently caress outta Burma, I never really knew that.

Same here. I knew it was the Brits last stand after Singapore/Malaysia, and I knew the US was involved with air attacks over China, but I never knew how much bombing happened there.
My english grandfather was in Burma after being rescued and re-armed/re-trained post Dunkirk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Does anyone field a PIAT-style shoulder-fired-mortar these days? I understand that the lack of backblast gave it certain advantages over recoilless rifles / rocket launchers in urban terrain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone field a PIAT-style shoulder-fired-mortar these days? I understand that the lack of backblast gave it certain advantages over recoilless rifles / rocket launchers in urban terrain.

Not as far as I know. Underbarrel grenade launchers fill out an explosive HE need, and with today's modern armour you'd need a dedicated anti-tank rocket launcher anyways.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
People have other ways of reducing backblast now. See e.g. the AT4-CS.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's a distinction for New Zealand and South Africa, but no France, Canada, Allied Italy, Russia, or other minors.

What did Allied Italy bomb?

Also lol at including Soviet Union in the list of minors you sneaky bastard! :crossarms:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Lone Badger posted:

It was a really unreliable spring loaded piece of poo poo, they were not loved in any terrain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though it was substantially more concealable than a rocket or explosive powered launcher and you could fire it laying down and indoors.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Modern rocket and missile systems with soft launch capability exist so it'd be pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know what you mean by that, concealability is not really an attribute of crew served anti tank weapons. The PIAT was bigger and heavier and less reliable and worse at killing tanks than even the early bazookas, and by the end of the war they were used more for blowing up houses and walls than for killing tanks. Kind of a neat design, but apparently it would fail to fire all the time.