Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

One of my old coworkers volunteered. She seemed to be a decent TSgt.

She immediately despised the job, and is finally at the end of her four year tour. All her years enlisted, and the one assignment she specifically asked for is the one that made her hate the Air Force.

Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Larry Parrish posted:

Who the gently caress wants to volunteer for MTI anyway.

I knew one guy who had planned to be an MTI as part of his "Chief in 17 years" plan.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chief in 17 is insane.

Goddamn.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuroyama posted:

I knew one guy who had planned to be an MTI as part of his "Chief in 17 years" plan.

Boy, that sounds like a normal and adjusted person.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People focusing on getting promoted as fast as humanly possible instead of being good at their job deserve to get transferred to Diego Garcia or uhh, whatever the one in the Azores is called for 20 years

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

People focusing on getting promoted as fast as humanly possible instead of being good at their job deserve to get transferred to Diego Garcia or uhh, whatever the one in the Azores is called for 20 years

Lajes Field? That'd be paradise.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Lajes Field? That'd be paradise.

I can only assume for the brown-nosing form of enlisted, being trapped away from anyone to brown nose is torture

If I could do my old job as a civilian at Lajes I'd leave tomorrow lmfao.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man if I could do any job at lajes then I would.

I was on a C-141 that broke down there for 6 awesome days. This was a long time ago, mind you.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I once considered volunteering for MTI duty. But I declined because I hate idiots.

I'm in the Air Force.

Let me rephrase... I can't handle any MORE idiots than my normal daily quota (which includes myself because I'm still in).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Chief in 17 is insane.

Goddamn.

Met one who did it in 15. The guy looked like he was 15. Shocking he didn't seem to be an rear end in a top hat, but I have no idea if he gave a poo poo about his people or what his game was.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Met one who did it in 15. The guy looked like he was 15. Shocking he didn't seem to be an rear end in a top hat, but I have no idea if he gave a poo poo about his people or what his game was.

I'm not sure E-9 in 15 is possible without STEP early promotions around E-5 to E-7 and E-4 BTZ, obviously.

I can't imagine someone with 15 years TIS makes a good Chief. Jesus.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
From the stories y'all tell I'm not sure any amount of TIS makes someone good

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Man if I could do any job at lajes then I would.

I was on a C-141 that broke down there for 6 awesome days. This was a long time ago, mind you.

Broke down or :airquote:broke down:airquote:? Judging by the number of planes that get grounded as soon as they arrive, the bases flying missions to USAFE have really poo poo maintenance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Well, systematically crippling an already disgruntled career field (acft mx) over two decades will do that. It's not just at the good places, poo poo is broken to a stunning degree everywhere.

I'm not sure E-9 in 15 is possible without STEP early promotions around E-5 to E-7 and E-4 BTZ, obviously.

I can't imagine someone with 15 years TIS makes a good Chief. Jesus.

It was weird as gently caress. He was at Maxwell giving briefs to ASBC when that existed, and the SNCOA.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I can only assume for the brown-nosing form of enlisted, being trapped away from anyone to brown nose is torture

If I could do my old job as a civilian at Lajes I'd leave tomorrow lmfao.

My shop goes there quarterly. Ive been trying to get a chance to. Im stuck with Moron AB, which is really nice too. Its a ghost town there now pretty much just a crew to keep the lights on and what not (and so the chinease dont snap it up). The base Commander works out of the hotel im told.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's apparently talk of splitting the air force's space mission off into its own seperate branch.

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-news/2017/06/house-panel-votes-to-split-air-force-create-new-u-s-space-corps/

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I remember that being a hot rumor when I was in basic/tech school in 99. Nice to see Congress finally get around to it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not happening any time soon. Like decades, if ever. poo poo ain't cheap.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A guy I know who's lovely at nursing just enlisted because he'll apparently the AF is very hard up for medical personnel and he'll make more doing it that way. RIP you if you're still in.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

There's apparently talk of splitting the air force's space mission off into its own seperate branch.

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-news/2017/06/house-panel-votes-to-split-air-force-create-new-u-s-space-corps/

That makes less sense than cyber splitting off and is probably just as likely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Robot posted:

Merge the army and navy satcom people into it too so we can get a nice DoD wide screaming match

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

If anything, it'll be like the NOAA. Everyone will wear a uniform and be covered under the Geneva Conventions, but it won't be a military branch as we'd know it.

Done correctly, it would be an organization of technical experts, directed by people who came up the ranks working on satellites. Being the spawn of the Air Force (assuming it ever happens, and I assume no such thing), it won't be done correctly.

I eagerly await an organization with no combat experience and a giant inferiority complex about being "armed forces."

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

If anything, it'll be like the NOAA. Everyone will wear a uniform and be covered under the Geneva Conventions, but it won't be a military branch as we'd know it.

Done correctly, it would be an organization of technical experts, directed by people who came up the ranks working on satellites. Being the spawn of the Air Force (assuming it ever happens, and I assume no such thing), it won't be done correctly.

I eagerly await an organization with no combat experience and a giant inferiority complex about being "armed forces."

I want to meet a moto PHA officer now

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The AFSC break down for 17E7 came out and the promotion rates of the standard promote ranking seems to be hovering around single digits which is super depressing. Maybe testing out of cycle this year might help but I doubt it, looks like a 9% promotion rate in the long run.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yikes. I guess it'll just be the commander's favorites - the EPR Must Promote / Promote Now types who kissed the ring the best.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Eglin's on fire, yo.

The News posted:

Eglin officials are reporting there were no “significant” injuries following the explosion and fire on base. The incident occurred at a support building near McKinley Climatic Lab.

12:45 p.m. latest release from Eglin AFB officials:
At approximately 10 a.m., a fire occurred at a support building near McKinley Climatic Lab. The plume that contained potentially hazardous material has now dissipated.

There were no significant injuries.

The incident is under investigation.

12:25 p.m.
Denise Kendust, spokeswoman for Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, said the hospital had not received any patients from the explosion as of 12:10 p.m.

One of my in-laws is stationed there and assures me that Burger King is okay.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Eglin's on fire, yo.

Too soon, yo. Were still mourning the loss of ours.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Derek Dominoe posted:

Eglin's on fire, yo.

They didn't post the text of my OPREP when that one guy got stabbed in Sac after his hero tour for jumping a terrorist on a train in France

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Larry Parrish posted:

Diego you actually had to be reasonably competent since you pretty much worked autonomously. They even make you get a letter from your CC stating you were competent and could be trusted to work with minimal supervision.

Of course I got sent there so you see how strictly this policy is enforced

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

zombieswithblenders posted:

Too soon, yo. Were still mourning the loss of ours.

It was a conspiracy by the Shoppette Tornado lobby to regain the crown of 'worst Ramstein breakfast option' since they introduced the full on burgers for breakfast menu. RIP BK.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Popeyes serves breakfast now so I think there's a new king in town

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AkrisD posted:

It was a conspiracy by the Shoppette Tornado lobby to regain the crown of 'worst Ramstein breakfast option' since they introduced the full on burgers for breakfast menu. RIP BK.

Have people given up on the golf course breakfast burritos? That was the big thing in 2011.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
one of my favorite Air Force memories is literally being dragged by my commander across Ramstein both hungover as gently caress on a midweek morning past that big NATO building and people going to work after spending the previous night going to a few on base bars and ending up at some crazy aeromedical party. We ended up at some little British restaurant on base that served these amazing English bacon sandwiches whith English cheddar and fresh bread.

No excuse for not being able to get a good breakfast on Ramstein.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Cenen posted:

one of my favorite Air Force memories is literally being dragged by my commander across Ramstein both hungover as gently caress on a midweek morning past that big NATO building and people going to work after spending the previous night going to a few on base bars and ending up at some crazy aeromedical party. We ended up at some little British restaurant on base that served these amazing English bacon sandwiches whith English cheddar and fresh bread.

No excuse for not being able to get a good breakfast on Ramstein.

That place is aaaamazzzzing. Did you ever try the German one next door?

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

AkrisD posted:

I wouldnt put it past AAFES to do this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're the reason squadron snack bars are dying.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lol if your squadron snackbar isn't inside the SCIF and thus free from AAFES snooping. Just lol.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Would you rather have a snack bar ran by a volunteered, disgruntled Airman or underworked Lieutenant, or would you rather have windows and sunlight?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

We went to a German place for dinner that was really good before we hit the bars that used Germans fulfilling some sort of military/civil service as waiters. Couldn't for the life of me tell you if it was next door to the English place though that whole week was a blur of being told to go places and to drink.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The German place is okay, Brit Cafe is pretty much the place to go for breakfast though. They get busy as gently caress but poo poo is delicious.

• Locked thread