Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

You wanted rats, there are the rats.

not enough rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

not enough rat

Clearly you should post some more rats.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Clearly you should post some more rats.

e: i found a higher res version :getin:

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 30, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's some good rats.

They better get their goddamn DOOMWHEELS.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Would Lord+19 Doomwheel stack be viable?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

depends, can the Lord get a DOOMWHEEL as a mount?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It really depends on how prone to exploding they are.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all i care is if theyre prone to exploding dwarves

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It will depend how micro heavy they are. Chariots are currently really strong if micro'd properly, but you look away for a second and they get themselves killed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For Bretonnia is there anyway to teleport to the entry war final battle against Chaos?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hunt11 posted:

For Bretonnia is there anyway to teleport to the entry war final battle against Chaos?

Not without a mod, nope.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

fatherboxx posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the things doomwheels do is spew warp lightning out the sides, so its going to be really funny when they are constantly zapping each other if they get too close together.

Conversely, a chariot type unit that constantly spews ranged damage out the sides sounds amazing, and a lot less micro intensive since you just let it go Demolition Derby on their ranks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cool, so the Ritual thing was neat. You play some high (or dark) elf scout in a CYOA. I found a torch, went into a cave that was really really deep and heard hundreds of scurrying beasts below, and saw "hunched over beasts chipping away with mining picks at warpstone" before I got stabbed in the lung by something while yelling "S--" then I died so yeah.

Now will they do anything cool or will they give them underway movement and a waaagh mechanic? Who's to say.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If anything the more successful you are the more likely you are to be betrayed by another Skaven wanting to take all your glory for itself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hunt11 posted:

If anything the more successful you are the more likely you are to be betrayed by another Skaven wanting to take all your glory for itself.

The only real threat to Skaven supremacy are other Skavens, so it could be fun to go all civil war when you're reaching your zenith. Or really, really annoying. Maybe their main quest will be that you need to fulfill objectives and own/raze/sack/whatever X settlements, and then survive larger and larger civil war scenarios.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just had my first online battle in TWW. By god, these people are awful.

edit: like i completely destroyed the army i was facing and started flanking around the second army while my 2 teammates were only just moving forward. what the hell are these people AI's (no i conversed with them after the game)

edit: and game 2 the enemy had no poo poo 8 units of cannons and my ally just sat still until half of his army was dead. I tried to move up to fight but since my ally was actually not moving, my army was destroyed trying to 2v1 and then he died shortly thereafter.

is there like a larger online community for non-poo poo battles

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 30, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, that interview where the TW team admitted that they really dropped the ball on the Chaos DLC?

They're loving right. The Armor of Morkar mission is pretty much the worst loving quest battle design I've seen. Ok, you'll be facing off against this melee-heavy composition so man up and get ready to knock heads AND THEN A NEAR-FULL STACK OF CHAOS KNIGHTS BLINDSIDES YOUR ARMY

what the gently caress is that dumb poo poo, i've seen poo poo effort wc3 custom maps with more thought put into balance than this garbage

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jokes posted:

The only real threat to Skaven supremacy are other Skavens, so it could be fun to go all civil war when you're reaching your zenith. Or really, really annoying. Maybe their main quest will be that you need to fulfill objectives and own/raze/sack/whatever X settlements, and then survive larger and larger civil war scenarios.

Who's ready for Realm Divide :unsmigghh:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KPC_Mammon posted:

Elite doomstacks are already suboptimal. You are paying significantly higher upkeep for an army that the ai will purposefully avoid because it knows it can't win.

Having a weaker army that can lure the ai to engage, and then winning through superior tactics, is the optimal way to play.

The enemy can dodge and avoid your doomstack but it cant beat it. This frees you to burn their land to ground while they ineffectually shuffle around. They can annoy you on the way, but once you get a high end stack youve won since the AI is incapable if building a stack that can threaten it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got done reading the Von Carstein LP, and I got a question about the pace of the game: is 130 turns normal for a long-campaign?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If you play with randos you're gonna deal with some bullshit, try to find people to play here if you really wanna try some MP here, or maybe reddit has some good matchmaking threads or something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I just got done reading the Von Carstein LP, and I got a question about the pace of the game: is 130 turns normal for a long-campaign?

for VC, yes, due to the land requirement. For chaos you should be done in about 50.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SickZip posted:

The enemy can dodge and avoid your doomstack but it cant beat it. This frees you to burn their land to ground while they ineffectually shuffle around. They can annoy you on the way, but once you get a high end stack youve won since the AI is incapable if building a stack that can threaten it.

Your endgame challenges usually include destroying the Warriors of Chaos. They don't have land to burn to the ground. Meanwhile you still need to defend ground.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SirPhoebos posted:

150 turns sounds about right for most factions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, Chaos campaign done. Thank god the victory conditions are just sacking/razing poo poo, and not ensuring they stay razed, because gently caress that. Also blundered easily into the win since both Franz and Leoncoeur got themselves wrecked by the time I got my elite horde rolling, so all I had to do was raise hell in Kislev and neighboring areas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

Your endgame challenges usually include destroying the Warriors of Chaos. They don't have land to burn to the ground. Meanwhile you still need to defend ground.

I dunno what to tell you but it ain't hard to have multiple high-tier stacks running around defending poo poo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you can afford multiple high tier stacks then you will be infinitely better off sending them to attack while you defend with cheaper low tier stuff.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just had my first online battle in TWW. By god, these people are awful.

edit: like i completely destroyed the army i was facing and started flanking around the second army while my 2 teammates were only just moving forward. what the hell are these people AI's (no i conversed with them after the game)

edit: and game 2 the enemy had no poo poo 8 units of cannons and my ally just sat still until half of his army was dead. I tried to move up to fight but since my ally was actually not moving, my army was destroyed trying to 2v1 and then he died shortly thereafter.

And people ITT wonder why TW is not focused more on multiplayer.
It is the single-player which sells and someone posted that only like 5% of the TW players ever do MP.
I have played all of them and have never touched MP.

The descriptions here of cheesy builds/rage quitters as well as experience from other online strategy games like WG just confirms why CA is not doing much MP is a good idea.
If you need to team up to get good matches and non-cheesy builds it is basically a lot of :effort: and time that the normal player typically don't have.
Catering to spergs is never a good idea.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eh, the cheesing is a minority of matches to be fair, but I haven't played it since the game went on sale, so who knows what's swarming the automatch these days.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It wouldn't be that hard to design a balanced system that prevents the most retarded cheese builds and has a modicum of matchmaking but they don't bother because nobody plays multi-player, because the multi-player sucks, because they don't put any time into it, because nobody plays multi-player because the multi-player sucks because they don't put any time into it. As a result the multi-player sucks which is a real turn off and makes nobody want to play it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, they are adding the Free For All match mode to game 2, so you can't really say they are not doing anything for multiplayer. And you win based on a score system of damage dealt. There will probably be cheese builds for that given the challenges of balancing the game, but the most agravating ones (evading until the timer ends) should simply be gone, also the fact that if people see one player bringing a bullshit army it is likely they will be pile on the guy.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

jokes posted:

Cool, so the Ritual thing was neat. You play some high (or dark) elf scout in a CYOA. I found a torch, went into a cave that was really really deep and heard hundreds of scurrying beasts below, and saw "hunched over beasts chipping away with mining picks at warpstone" before I got stabbed in the lung by something while yelling "S--" then I died so yeah.

Now will they do anything cool or will they give them underway movement and a waaagh mechanic? Who's to say.

my favorite proposal for them i've seen is that their population growth is ridiculously high, recruiting their units takes population, and if they have too much population in a city they start having unrest issues

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

President Ark posted:

my favorite proposal for them i've seen is that their population growth is ridiculously high, recruiting their units takes population, and if they have too much population in a city they start having unrest issues

Seems to me, they should actually be borrowing from the Brettonian system of peasant and farming economy, except reversed. They need to spend their population, or whatever mechanic, on lovely fodder infantry or else they start receiving negative modifiers. That shouldn't be that hard to code, really, if you just modify the brettonians. Then you get huge numbers of lovely infantry to mow down without consequence with your weird warpstone machines.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waaagh mechanic except your waaaghs are hostile to you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

toasterwarrior posted:

OK, Chaos campaign done. Thank god the victory conditions are just sacking/razing poo poo, and not ensuring they stay razed, because gently caress that. Also blundered easily into the win since both Franz and Leoncoeur got themselves wrecked by the time I got my elite horde rolling, so all I had to do was raise hell in Kislev and neighboring areas.

It's worse when the various races are so unlucky/lovely that almost everything is razed before you get there because you took your time dealing with the bullshit Norscans. There is nothing worse than getting 100 turns into a Chaos playthrough except getting 100 turns into a Chaos playthrough and nearly entering an unwinnable scenario.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jokes posted:

It's worse when the various races are so unlucky/lovely that almost everything is razed before you get there because you took your time dealing with the bullshit Norscans. There is nothing worse than getting 100 turns into a Chaos playthrough except getting 100 turns into a Chaos playthrough and nearly entering an unwinnable scenario.

I imagine it must be a nightmare if somehow every non-Wood Elf plains settlement faction gets wiped and all you have left to sack/raze are mountain/badlands shitholes the dwarfs/greenskins live in. Good thing I actually managed to vassalize all the Chaos tribes; it was actually cool seeing the civilized world crusade into the north but eventually get worn out by the attrition, and for the Norscans to bring the clap back to their shores. Also very useful for catching those annoying 5-or-less unit armies that get left over after your rampage and colonize ruins of your conquests.

Now getting back to Bretonnia after a long while: there must be some special hidden attribute of their knights that make their charges look and hit so magnificently. I definitely don't see Reiksguard or even Chaos Knights hitting like trains and sending victims flying across fields like Knights of the Realm can. Also, I think Steel Faith made it so that Crossbowmen-at-Arms can't even be recruited at all; they're just garrison units. A funny but surprisingly lore-appropriate and balanced change since they're definitely intended for city sieges; might as well go all the way.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I really hope they redo the chaos campaign. I really don't like it in it's current form, which is a shame because super heavy infantry is extremely my poo poo in TW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Luminous Cow posted:

I really hope they redo the chaos campaign. I really don't like it in it's current form, which is a shame because super heavy infantry is extremely my poo poo in TW.

And cavalry with lava feet and lava spears!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Hey, that interview where the TW team admitted that they really dropped the ball on the Chaos DLC?

They're loving right. The Armor of Morkar mission is pretty much the worst loving quest battle design I've seen. Ok, you'll be facing off against this melee-heavy composition so man up and get ready to knock heads AND THEN A NEAR-FULL STACK OF CHAOS KNIGHTS BLINDSIDES YOUR ARMY

what the gently caress is that dumb poo poo, i've seen poo poo effort wc3 custom maps with more thought put into balance than this garbage

I think I did that one too with a bunch of shield chosen and multiple hellcannons, and then I got thoroughly stomped and had to bankrupt myself to recruit a stack full of chosen with halberds. >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

If you can afford multiple high tier stacks then you will be infinitely better off sending them to attack while you defend with cheaper low tier stuff.

best defence is a good offense. I've never been in a situation where I've been fielding high-tier stacks but had a need for a babysitting chaff stack except maybe to stick in Marienburg as the Empire and waste norscans.

• Locked thread