Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How far our culture has come that we can look at giant tits and cat head and think it a quaint in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

:fap:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

marshmallow creep posted:

How far our culture has come that we can look at giant tits and cat head and think it a quaint in comparison.

The oldest non-abstract artwork we know about is a human with a lion head (or at least that's what it appears to be). Naked people with exaggerated proportions are also common for prehistoric art I think. Seems like they are just universally interesting subjects.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I don't seem to have any issues, but *are* there issues between Settlement Keywords Expanded and Sim Settlements? I can't find anything one way or the other.

The only issue I've been having which makes he suspect maybe SKE causes some problems is that my generators don't display the parts required when I have the parts, just when I lack them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

bazomatic posted:

I don't seem to have any issues, but *are* there issues between Settlement Keywords Expanded and Sim Settlements? I can't find anything one way or the other.

The only issue I've been having which makes he suspect maybe SKE causes some problems is that my generators don't display the parts required when I have the parts, just when I lack them.

The latest versions of Sim Settlements inject themselves as a top-level menu if you have Settlement Menu Manager.

It works out well for me, but like most people who mod my settlement menu is a shambling monstrosity made of scrap metal and baling wire. So take that with a grain of salt.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Glazius posted:

The latest versions of Sim Settlements inject themselves as a top-level menu if you have Settlement Menu Manager.

It works out well for me, but like most people who mod my settlement menu is a shambling monstrosity made of scrap metal and baling wire. So take that with a grain of salt.

I wish to hell the settlement menu could be improved. Anything at all would make it better. Search, a most recently used list, faster navigation.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Is there an easy "roll your own" weapon replacer mod or guide? I want to replace most of the weapons with my choices from various mods since I don't really like having a ton of guns on top of the defaults.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Jigoku San posted:

Is there an easy "roll your own" weapon replacer mod or guide? I want to replace most of the weapons with my choices from various mods since I don't really like having a ton of guns on top of the defaults.

I don't have a full on guide for doing what you want but you can do it in FO4edit and it's pretty straight forward. If you're already using a merged patch you can copy the leveled list records as overrides into your patch and replace the vanilla entries with your ones. Your plugin needs to take a dependency on each of the mods whose items you are integrating.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kingath released a trailer for the industrial update for sim settlements, which includes things like

Building upgrade chains
300 new buildings
New plot types (guard towers and recreational plots were shown in the trailer)
"places to explore" - from the trailer it looked like one of the plots built a mine you could zone into
Settlement newspapers that update as you progress through the story
Hidden cool things in the new buildings
Smog
Better settler control so they look like they are working
Looks like you can setup production lines.

I am sure I am missing things.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25093/

A quality AUG A1 for all your weird Austrian-made bullpup needs.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Does anyone know what weapon types Horizon considers things like the Harpoon Gun and Broadsider? Most of the weapon perks seem fairly self explanatory but there are a few oddball ones that don't seem like they fall into any category (unless I missed something) .

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

graynull posted:

Does anyone know what weapon types Horizon considers things like the Harpoon Gun and Broadsider? Most of the weapon perks seem fairly self explanatory but there are a few oddball ones that don't seem like they fall into any category (unless I missed something) .

Those fall into the "Naval" category along with the fish hook melee weapon.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Bought this on the steam sale instead of trying to mod on the xbone. Is having both Scrap Everything and Spring Cleaning redundant?

EDIT: ty\/\/\/\/

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes. Spring Cleaning is redundant at this point, stick to Scrap Everything.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Bought this on the steam sale instead of trying to mod on the xbone. Is having both Scrap Everything and Spring Cleaning redundant?

Yes - scrap everything will allow you to scrap... well, basically everything, allowing you to pick and choose what you do or do not want in your settlements. Spring Cleaning is somewhat more narrowly focused, and may not allow you to scrap quite as much. This is sometimes a benefit, because with Scrap Everything you can literally scrap building walls in placed like Hangman's Ally and thus fall through the world - although this could enable you to effectively build INTO the buildings that are there, but I digress. You will need to be careful.

NOTE: The changes EITHER mod make will disable an engine level feature known as precombined meshes for any cells that modify any objects that are part of the precombine. Expect MASS performance penalties in downtown areas like Hangman's Ally, or Bunker Hill. Most settlements aren't much of a problem. Mileage may vary, and if you don't have much problem with being in or around 30fps in either location (beware Battle for Bunker Hill questlines) then go for either. If you're a massive baby who cries every time they drop below 45fps (like me) then you're sort of stuck. An option might be to retexture trash piles into something like, mounds of dirt, but you still have the meshes. Replacing these things with empty meshes could also be an option, but then you will run into instances outside of (or even within) settlements where trash was used to disguise, or else made fixing world seams irrelevant.

There is basically no satisfying solution, short of having an obscenely fast CPU + Nvidia GPU (Dx11 driver multi-threading) to mitigate the crazy huge draw calls that will result from the disabling of the precombine. It may not be that framerates ever drop to unplayable short of the reverse of a laptop/low clock CPU + AMD GPU (Dx11 driver is largely single threaded). But it can result in a few situations of wild fluctuations that are potentially more distracting than settlements where apparently no one cleans up after themselves.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kiggles posted:

There is basically no satisfying solution, short of having an obscenely fast CPU + Nvidia GPU (Dx11 driver multi-threading) to mitigate the crazy huge draw calls that will result from the disabling of the precombine. It may not be that framerates ever drop to unplayable short of the reverse of a laptop/low clock CPU + AMD GPU (Dx11 driver is largely single threaded). But it can result in a few situations of wild fluctuations that are potentially more distracting than settlements where apparently no one cleans up after themselves.

No, this will actually gently caress over any system because the DX11 just can't handle the number of draw calls that FO4 requests, even with all of the optimization features enabled.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the scrapping mods figured out to only disable occlusion culling in cells containing settlements, though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Well, I'm sort of in a worst case scenario, of AMD CPU (low IPC, low clock speed) + AMD GPU (poorly threaded DX11 driver), and despite that I'm still not really dropping 25fps but in the absolute worst situations possible. Nvidia DX11 drivers would help mitigate that, even if the penalty might still be massive. Either way, it's still "playable", but it's super frustrating at least. I elect not to both with it. Trash or frames, I'll take the frames, but could just as well ENB your way to ~30fps, and it will be hard to notice a few missed frames to ~28.

Only real alternative I've found has been http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19711/?, which rather than remove some of the trash decals, it just alpha's out the associated textures. Visually they're gone, but for not performance gain or penalty. Anything else and the associated geometry/collision is virtually impossible to work around.

What mod are you talking about and how does it work? I'm curious how the community is trying to work around the engine quirks. I mean, it isn't really a bug by any stretch - just a terrible position with respect for modification. It's interesting to me seeing how people come to figure out what's going on and say, what is best practice/alternatives given the situation is what it is.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

aniviron posted:

Those fall into the "Naval" category along with the fish hook melee weapon.

Hmm. Is there not a specialization or perk that effects those? I tried glancing through all the ranks of the perks and didn't see anything that mentioned them. With the author would have the perk rank descriptions listed somewhere so you didn't have to load up the game just to try to read the changes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It has been a while and since we're falling into the usual Nexus Is Depraved banter I think it is time for me to post some interesting mods that don't involve nudity or anything like that!

Unbogus Lunchboxes basically changes what you can get inside the many abandoned lunchboxes littering the Commonwealth. It is quite flexible and you can choose both the amount and quality of randoms these things belch out. More fun than just a pencil!

Broadsider Improved overhauls the hand held death cannon to compete with the heavy tier weapons of the game giving it new mods and upgrades that make it worth using in your end game. Includes different ammo types! turn the thing into the biggest shotgun in the Commonwealth!

The Lavish Laser Musket a much nixer and high resolution retexture of the laser musket.

The Lavish Laser Weapon Series Retextures from the same modder from the one above, all the default laser weapons of the base game getting might higher resoluton textures.

Top Notch Tommy Gun reskins the Tommy Gun model to not only a better quality but also makes it resemble the real world version instead of the alt history Fallout 4 version in game.

Skeletal Feral Ghouls tweaks the facial areas of the games Ghoul model making them resemble the more classical ferals of Fallout than the weird melty faced Sloth types we have now. Perfect for lore friendly spergs like myself!

Speaking of lore, if you like Mama Murphy now have this mod that restores her to her concept art version and another mod that makes her chair look more like the chair in the concept art of the game too!

Subtle MacCready is also the same sort of retexture/lore reworking of the character based on the concept art of the game.

Like the leather stuff but wish it was a)more flexible and b)looked better? Modular Leather Armor basically reworks and deconstructs the three tiers of leather armor into 20+ individual components from which you can construct custom armor sets. Think of it sort of like Tailor Made but for high resolution leather armor buffs. It adds the armor to the NPC spawn list as well so you can loot the stuff from Raiders if you aren't feeling in a crafty mood.

Like gun bashing dudes with the melee bash in this game? Melee Bash Knockdown ? ever wanted to send NPC's flying and knock them on their arse? Melee Bash Knockdown modifies the perk that gives you the ability to smash NPC's arse over tip with your gun. You can even pick how much the knock down effect happens from every now and then to all the drat time.

Exploding Explodables returns the ability to actually cause thrown grenades and fired explosive projectives to blow up in the face of the NPC who is using them with VATS once more.

Classic Styled Hunting Rifles is a simple retexture that makes the Hunting Rifle resemble the ones used in F3/FNV.

Legionary Asssasins Mod basically enables a small group of close to your level Legionary Assassins to hunt you down every now and then, like they did in FNV.

Nuka Island enables the construction of a settlement in Nuka World for those who've wanted to set down roots in the place.

Sofa Surfer enables the ability to sleep on couches around the Commonwealth. A good addition for a survival run perhaps?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 28, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Thanks SBS for your service wandering through Nexusmods. A lot of these look really good.

I'm looking to improve settlement raiding, and I want to have more raids happen when the player is present. Is there anything that does that well, besides mods which add more spawns in general (WotC, NPCs Travel)?

EDIT: Also gonna plug my poo poo here. I've been streaming Horizon with a whole bunch of other mods for a while now, and I just upgraded to 1.1.0, so if watching someone else's experience interests you, twitch.tv/horse_mans is the place to be.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 28, 2017

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

horse mans posted:

I'm looking to improve settlement raiding, and I want to have more raids happen when the player is present. Is there anything that does that well, besides mods which add more spawns in general (WotC, NPCs Travel)?
Unless I missed something, no. Sim Settlements has some improvements to settlement and settler functionality, so I'm hoping someone builds a more thorough settlement overhaul or at least a settlement raid overhaul on top of that one of these days.

edit: Although I think some mods like Raider Overhaul or Increased Spawns might add more variety to vanilla raid behavior.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davoren posted:

I found a cool mod that adds body tattoos, but now I'm having a hard time finding some outfits that show some skin so I can appreciate them, but also isn't some 13 year olds wank fantasy, anyone have any recommendations?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25186/

This just came out. It's just one outfit, but it looks like a thing that a reasonably badass actual human would wear.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25206/

Took long enough for this mod to come out. Tunes the assault rifle in all sorts of ways.

EDIT: Just reached the institute on my Horizon Survival run, does anyone know of mod that changes fathers hair to white or grey instead of blue?

Erd fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 30, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah that tuned Assault Rifle mods looks pretty nifty, I never liked the default role in the game due to how it looks.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Given that its mesh looks like a large watercooled machine gun, Its the kind of heavy weapon, possibly usually static, like the minigun, that a supermutant or power armour pinyata would use, not regular raiders.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

Given that its mesh looks like a large watercooled machine gun, Its the kind of heavy weapon, possibly usually static, like the minigun, that a supermutant or power armour pinyata would use, not regular raiders.

It was indeed designed as a power armor weapon.

If I ever made a balance mod for this game one of the things that I would like to do is add move speed penalties for weapons and mods based on their weight, so unless your character has pretty good endurance using a huge gun like the vanilla assault rifle would slow you down.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 30, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

If I ever made a balance mod for this game one of the things that I would like to do is add move speed penalties for weapons and mods based on their weight, so unless your character has pretty good endurance using a huge gun like the vanilla assault rifle would slow you down.

One thing I really wish you could do it store weapons/ammo in power armour itself. So if you were carting around a minigun/fat boy, you could just leave it locked in the armour's hands when you got out, allowing you to stay lightweight on foot while still making use of the big guns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I really wish you could do it store weapons/ammo in power armour itself. So if you were carting around a minigun/fat boy, you could just leave it locked in the armour's hands when you got out, allowing you to stay lightweight on foot while still making use of the big guns.

The obvious extension to that is integrated power armour weaponry, making the fat man part of the armour.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The obvious extension to that is integrated power armour weaponry, making the fat man part of the armour.

Yeah power armour in FO4 is really more like a small mech suit than just a really good piece of equipment, so it would make sense to just go all the way with that.

Although I don't know if I'd really want it to go as far as making certain weapons ONLY equippable via power armour. I mean the old fallout games classified strength in the upper range as basically superhuman, so it stands to reason that they'd still be able to use things that a normal person needs power armour to handle.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

turn off the TV posted:

I had considered something like that for WBO, but while it was pretty easy to script in, the downside was that it just wasn't fun.

I mean maybe it'd appeal to folks playing Horizon and so on, but most people just wanted to get where they're going the fastest, and there was really no way to balance against that.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This would be loving killer though.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It doesn't leave them in the hands, but this might be what you're looking for:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20944/

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Is there a mod which makes fusion cores much rarer (possibly even removes all non-guaranteed fusion core spawns) but makes them regenerate their charge over time, like a MF breeder? So you can tromp around in power armor and fire that gatling laser theoretically forever, but not stay in it 100% of the time?

That would probably be more fun for me than common but disposable fusion cores. Lore friendly, too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Iron Rose posted:

I had considered something like that for WBO, but while it was pretty easy to script in, the downside was that it just wasn't fun.

I mean maybe it'd appeal to folks playing Horizon and so on, but most people just wanted to get where they're going the fastest, and there was really no way to balance against that.

Yeah, that's why I would like to have certain perks or SPECIAL stats offset the weight penalty. The overall idea is to balance progression by allowing the player to handle stronger and better equipment, rather than increasing base damage or defenses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Double Agent posted:

It doesn't leave them in the hands, but this might be what you're looking for:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20944/

Ooh, that's nice, thanks. I mean it's a shame it doesn't have the visual of the gun actually being held by the empty power armour but I can live with that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I never thought about how my gun gets transferred from the armor's hands to my hands when I pop out the back. Immersion ruined!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I never thought about how my gun gets transferred from the armor's hands to my hands when I pop out the back. Immersion ruined!

There's an rear end-flap in the back of the armor that pops open to allow the user to pull out stashed weapons. This was not the intended purpose of the flap, but it works all the same.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kinggath, the guy behind Sim Settlements, just pushed out some updates. The main mod has been updated to 2.0 with some new features, but the big deal here is that he ALSO pushed out the "Industrial Revolution" expansion pack for Sim Settlements.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25213/

All the features and such are there. Dude is doing some drat good work.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

One thing that always bugs me about the settlement building path in FO4 is the settlement sites are distributed in a funny way so that moving from one to another trying to build them up and expand your flare gun and artillery range as your influence expands doesn't really work. You end up having to cover lots of ground between some of them with no support and then others are so close together you never need support.

This is also annoying with scavenging supplies to build them up, although you can alleviate that with supply lines. I hope kinggath succeeds in making settlements more connected to progress in the overall game arc, I think that idea captures all the major problems with them.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
His Salvage Beacons mod makes settlement development easier too. How it works is, you set up a settler manned object in a settlement and whenever you find junk in the field you whack it in a container and add a beacon. You then choose which workbench you want it to end up at. But I tend to use it to move say, a dozen 10mm pistols and some armour to the castle in preparation for the influx of settlers about to arrive. It was a great help moving all my guns and equipment south from Sanctuary without lugging it all myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I think it also runs into the problem that heavy guns tend to be pretty underpowered, and WBO is really good but really only brings them to the same level, relatively, as the other guns. It's also hurt because of how Fallout 4's weapon and armor weights get ultra ridiculous. The Sole Survivor is clearly some kind of horrifying murder cyborg, because he/she can apparently move around despite wearing a hundred pounds of marine corps armor while carrying a 25 pound 'rifle.'

Speaking of USMC Armor-is there a mod which gives high-level Gunners and BoS types access to that? It's good, cool-looking armor and fits both organizations' aesthetic.