Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Because we don't want to pay iCloud rates for storage

iCloud rates are actually perfectly reasonable, often the best value: https://birchtree.me/blog/which-cloud-storage-option-gives-you-the-most-bang-for-your-buck/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cbirdsong posted:

iCloud rates are actually perfectly reasonable, often the best value: https://birchtree.me/blog/which-cloud-storage-option-gives-you-the-most-bang-for-your-buck/

... nice reading comprehension?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Am I missing something because that article says repeatedly that iCloud is pretty good? Either way, I've had iCloud for a few years now since I'm all in on the ~* Apple Ecosystem *~ and my needs have been pretty well suited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think he's noting that the other poster doesn't want to pay the rates at all, regardless of the relative value.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

I think he's noting that the other poster doesn't want to pay the rates at all, regardless of the relative value.

Also y'know he's referring to local storage, which he presumably already has plenty of.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I'm in this boat (I paid for the Mac app and iOS app of 1 password). What was the discount for long time users to move over to a synced account?

There never was, and probably never will be a discount to switch to a synced account.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

cbirdsong posted:

They look good value, unless you want working sync, across different platforms, without weird sync bugs.

And public sharing.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There’s a Windows iCloud program and public sharing is coming with iOS 11/ High Sierra.

Never had syncing issues so can’t help you there.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Other than having to pay for an infinite amount of time, what are the down sides of 1Password Sub vs what I have now (a license on a mac account).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the best iPad app for mp4s, mkvs and such? Looking to watch TV shows and maybe movies on the go.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Vegetable posted:

What's the best iPad app for mp4s, mkvs and such? Looking to watch TV shows and maybe movies on the go.
I use Infuse and it's been able to handle basically everything I've thrown at it so far.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

nPlayer is my jam

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
What might cause pictures to be missing from my Photos? Like I'm 100% positive I took way more pictures on a vacation some years back, and they were in my camera roll, and now there are only maybe a dozen. They are the ones that I know I've looked at or showed people since then, but I'm also positive I never deleted the others. Happens on Mac and all my iOS devices. Fairly confident I backed them up off the iPhones when they were taken, but I have since stopped exporting off, and now I'm wondering if I need to be if stuff is gonna disappear...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Suddenly, my wife can't see a shared album on Google Photos that we've been using for over a year. She can get to it if someone adds photos to it, but can't navigate there directly. Does anyone know what's gone wrong and/or how to fix it?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Try again in a bit?

I was having issues with Shared Albums on Google Photos yesterday and they just announced more sharing features today so there may be some upgrades/wonkyness going on lately.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I can't stand the ads on youtube anymore, especially the ones that you can't even skip. What is the best way to avoid ads on youtube?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nervana posted:

I can't stand the ads on youtube anymore, especially the ones that you can't even skip. What is the best way to avoid ads on youtube?

By subscribing to YouTube Red (or Google Music which tosses it in) for 10 dollars a month.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Or buy ProTube for $5 or whatever it costs

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nervana posted:

Or grab a raspberry pi and setup pihole. Won't work when you're out and about unless you also vpn to your home network and possibly accept a huge speed hit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Or buy ProTube for $5 or whatever it costs

How often does protube break? Also do YouTube links in say apps like awful open in protube?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So I just installed Protube and it seems to work as it should but man the app is really lovely to use. Still beats ads though!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Get an app called “Opener” which will let you use the share sheet to open YouTube links in ProTube.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

By subscribing to YouTube Red (or Google Music which tosses it in) for 10 dollars a month.

There's a 4 month free trial for google music for new members, too.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'd like a good pomodoro timer app, and so far I haven't seen any that have one specific feature I want: the ability to automatically pull the current task from my calendar.

All of the ones I see manage their own internal to-do list. This works okay, but I already have my entire list of tasks in my calendar anyway. I hate having to copy information around and manage it in two separate locations.

Is there any app that does this?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

skull mask mcgee posted:

Get an app called “Opener” which will let you use the share sheet to open YouTube links in ProTube.

this + protube are all you need

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there an app I can use to sync my phone's ringtone/message tone with a bluetooth speaker or my computer? Or some other methodology for making it substantially louder?

I go on call for the first time this weekend, and I sleep the sleep of the dead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Is there an app I can use to sync my phone's ringtone/message tone with a bluetooth speaker or my computer? Or some other methodology for making it substantially louder?

I go on call for the first time this weekend, and I sleep the sleep of the dead.

Connecting your phone to a Bluetooth speaker would work just fine you don't need an app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm really looking forward to what developers will come up with using ARKit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIPfpGCxONQ

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

flosofl posted:

I'm really looking forward to what developers will come up with using ARKit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIPfpGCxONQ

Weird Gorillaz cover

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

I'd suggest a smart watch of some sort because the vibration from it tends to work better than any ringtone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanatosian posted:

Old fashioned stereo and 3.5mm cable would work pretty well and make the ringtone as loud as you like without worrying about battery/sync/etc.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone else use Google Play Music and notice that it seems to have lots of issues with streaming on occasion? As in, it gets stuck buffering and won't start playing the song? It'll do this while I'm driving often, sometimes every other song.

I don't think it's my cell service, everything else works fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Does anyone else use Google Play Music and notice that it seems to have lots of issues with streaming on occasion? As in, it gets stuck buffering and won't start playing the song? It'll do this while I'm driving often, sometimes every other song.

Same. I only really use it on a cell connection though (and haven't lately) so I can't say whether it's related to that.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yep, happened to me all the time. I switched to Apple Music and haven't looked back.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been switching back and forth between Good Notes and Notability for a few weeks now and haven't been able to pick a winner. Good Notes has a much better clipping interface (ie tabs) which is great since I'm often bouncing between pdfs and clipping segments here and there. On the other hand I much prefer the infinite scroll style of Notability to the individual pages of Good Notes. Decisions, decisions.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

So if I switched to the 1Pass monthly program, they'd have all my info on their servers, correct? Which program lets me keep all my poo poo on my own devices? Just KeyPass?

Also, what is better? To keep my own poo poo on my own poo poo or to trust 1Pass with it on their server?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want nothing stored on someone else's server, I believe your only option now is something based on KeePass.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
There is Enpass but until they do a security audit, I'm not touching it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

xzzy posted:

If you want nothing stored on someone else's server, I believe your only option now is something based on KeePass.

Or my old rear end non-sub version of 1Pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Wait is the good one KyPass or KeePass (and miniKeepass?)