Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oh baby!

https://twitter.com/Andrewmd5/status/880806319095242752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I could seen Nvidia being less happy with Nintendo directly competing with the Shield. They get money from the hardware either way, though, so they probably wouldn't care that much.

Nvidia already as much as said that the Shield line is dead or at least on hiatus going forward. They cancelled their Shield Tablet successor last year just before the Switch was announced. There is no new Shield hardware on the horizon. Compared to their niche sales of the Shield, Nintendo makes them more money than they could ever hope to make with their own hardware. Not to mention that the Switch is the first console in two generations to use Nvidia SoC instead of AMD.

The one reason I could see Nintendo approving this app is that it might help sell hardware to people who otherwise aren't interested in Nintendo games. Since Nintendo is famous for making profit on hardware sales, that might be tempting for them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Imagined posted:

Nvidia already as much as said that the Shield line is dead or at least on hiatus going forward. They cancelled their Shield Tablet successor last year just before the Switch was announced. There is no new Shield hardware on the horizon. Compared to their niche sales of the Shield, Nintendo makes them more money than they could ever hope to make with their own hardware. Not to mention that the Switch is the first console in two generations to use Nvidia SoC instead of AMD.

The one reason I could see Nintendo approving this app is that it might help sell hardware to people who otherwise aren't interested in Nintendo games. Since Nintendo is famous for making profit on hardware sales, that might be tempting for them.

That's a shame, but understandable. I really like my Shield tablet that I replaced my Nexus 10 with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Echophonic posted:

I could seen Nvidia being less happy with Nintendo directly competing with the Shield. They get money from the hardware either way, though, so they probably wouldn't care that much.

Nvidia will be done with tegra 1 soon so selling a bunch of them to nintendo while they beta test new nintendo switch advance in their own hardware is probably what they want to do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have one of the original Shield Tablets and it's both a testament to its hardware and Nvidia's amazing long term support and a sad commentary on the sorry state of Android tablets that this 2014 device is still the best Android tablet you can get for less than $500 three years later. The only better Android tablet than this $199 three year old device is the $599 Pixel C.

Sidenote: boy it would've been sweet if the Switch had the gorgeous 1920x1200 retina screen from the Shield..

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 30, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Lmao at you dumbass nerds thinking that will ever ship legitimately.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Man I shouldn't download master mode for BotW. That sounds like the type of mode I'll be too stubborn to not kill every tough beast I come across even if severly underarmed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

The Shield TV streams games even better than the Steam Link.

The Shield TV streams at over 1080p60?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

How is this happening?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you turn the switch around to see a steam link taped to the back

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Louisgod posted:

How is this happening?

It's streaming from a pc?

Or is that not what you're asking

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Louisgod posted:

How is this happening?

https://rainway.io

steaming over wifi, connects to your steam account and lets you stream games from your pc, while it runs on the pc, through the switch and its controllers

this is the UI on switch/ps4/xbox

makes me wonder if it will detect non-steam games, i meant it should but eh, who knows.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Overwatch isn't on steam so it looks like it does?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
The switch doesn't have any apps yet, why would their first app be a program that any idiot could use to easily stream downloaded roms to their system? How exactly is that in Nintendo's best interest, and why would they pursue that before something like Netflix?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it's using the nvidia streaming functionality in their modern video cards, so it will stream your pc's monitor output wholesale. It doesn't matter what app is running.

Steam streaming that exists on the steam link is different, it's a software solution on the pc side, not a hardware one.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is the master trial or whatever it's called worth the DLC price? I'm not very interested in hard mode or the costumes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

i guess, i dont know overwatch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chernabog posted:

Is the master trial or whatever it's called worth the DLC price? I'm not very interested in hard mode or the costumes.

Considering it is hard mode and costumes then I think you just answered your own question.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Stan Taylor posted:

Lmao at you dumbass nerds thinking that will ever ship legitimately.

This reminds me of when Xbone reddit was convinced Microsoft was going to allow the SNES/NES emulator onto the Xbone store because "emulators aren't illegal."

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

tap my mountain posted:

One guy got banned from this thread because he claimed overwatch was coming to Switch and announced at E3.

Though his other predictions were kind of true, so it might still happen I guess. And hey that would solve everyone's desire for a huge FPS title.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Considering it is hard mode and costumes then I think you just answered your own question.

I thought there was something about an arena type trial where you fight monsters.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chernabog posted:

It's basically the Eventide Island quest on steroids. If you liked that quest then I think its worth it. There are also mini quests to find the costumes which I'm finding interesting even though I don't plan on wearing the costumes except for Tingle.

Remember that this DLC pack also gives you access to the supposedly more substantial DLC pack that has the new story content so maybe wait for more details on that before jumping on it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 30, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bought dlc played non related side quest for two hours

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I'm actually more interested in the second DLC so I might just go for it anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

The switch doesn't have any apps yet, why would their first app be a program that any idiot could use to easily stream downloaded roms to their system? How exactly is that in Nintendo's best interest, and why would they pursue that before something like Netflix?

it will never be on the system and would likely run like poo poo---it already looks like everything is 20fps. Frankly, streaming games is a crapshoot for many people in how good or bad the quality of the connection is so I really don't get why this project is supposed to be worldbreaking.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I get the feeling Rainway will be more niche than people think. Most people will spend money for the novelty and mess around for an hour before forgetting about it.

Plus you need WiFi anyway to stream so there's still a market to buy games on Switch over Steam.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's unoptimized. I'm sure they'll get that up with little problem. Streaming isn't great for games from a cloud service, but within your own local home network it's a lot more responsive than when you're depending on an outside connection.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

it will never be on the system and would likely run like poo poo---it already looks like everything is 20fps. Frankly, streaming games is a crapshoot for many people in how good or bad the quality of the connection is so I really don't get why this project is supposed to be worldbreaking.

Streaming from your own hardware over just a LAN connection in your home is a much easier known quantity than from a server farm in gently caress-knows-where across copper that could be anything up to a century old. The FPS is because it's still a proof-of-concept prototype build. Functionality first, then optimization.

edit: drat YOU, AL BORLAND! :rant:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't really see the point over streaming games from a PC when I'm at home. Why not just play on the PC?

Portability is nice and all, but I only really play PUBG or Overwatch on PC and neither would stream well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well not with that attitude

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All I have is a laptop. I don't have a gaming PC or any intention to ever build one, but this can run all sorts of adventure games, classic games, and indie games that aren't on Switch and that are more comfortable to play on Switch than on a laptop.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

OP posted:

Is the thread title gonna be changed every 12 seconds like the last two Switch threads?

No, and if VideoGames does do that, I will politely ask him not to do that

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you have the Amazon mobile app (and Prime?) you can enter to win a Switch instantly right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What year will I be able to play a 2d Mario platformer on the Switch? I wish they had held off releasing Mario Maker for Wii U and just made it a Switch launch title.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Spacebump posted:

What year will I be able to play a 2d Mario platformer on the Switch? I wish they had held off releasing Mario Maker for Wii U and just made it a Switch launch title.

This year, when Rainway is totally released and embraced by Nintendo!!!! which will surely happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what's perfect

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cell

When they announce you're going to be playing as him in Dragon Ball FighterZ for the Nintendo Switch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mega64 posted:

I get the feeling Rainway will be more niche than people think. Most people will spend money for the novelty and mess around for an hour before forgetting about it.

Plus you need WiFi anyway to stream so there's still a market to buy games on Switch over Steam.

I bought a Vita specifically to try PS4 Remote Play. I used that function for about two hours over three years, so that sounds about right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have the most ideal possible setup for in home streaming (gigabit wired connections) and it's still pretty garbage on both PS4 and PC. A game like The Witcher 3 looks like hot garbage with all the video compression going on. I'm pretty sure the people saying it works just fine from their Holiday Inn 2000 miles away are just straight up lying, or they fiddled with it for 3 seconds before turning it off and calling it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they know more than you because they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

• Locked thread