Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Carmant posted:

Have they ever said why the glamour system is so unintuitive. In both of their other MMOs you literally just equip the gear and click a button and bam thats what you look like now. You can even use gear from other classes as an appearance. Was it some dumb server thing or ps3 limitation or holdover from the 1.0 engine.

Also what about all the destination markers you have to click on. Why cant they just make stuff spawn seamlessly. That must be a 1.0 engine thing right?
it's mostly due to how dumb their database structure is set up and how the game saves the state of all players' EVERYTHING every few fragments of a second

essentially they're so terrified of players losing data that they are hamstrung in what they can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I figured it was designed how it was so that crafters could make money on glamour prisms.

Does their database not allow the possibility of players having just a "cosmetic" gear tab? Anything you wear in that tab would just overwrite what you're wearing in your "real" gear slots and you're done. I think that's how EQ2 does it? But that'd also cut out glamour prisms (fine by me, as a non-crafter).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A vanity tab would still be lovely since it wouldn't alleviate the need for retainers full of bullshit you might want to glamour someday. Diablo 3 has the best system where anything you bind gets added to a list of available glamours you can apply for a small fee. In FF14 it could be a right click option "recover for glamour" that destroys the gear and adds it to your list. I'd expect that to be cleaner in a database than discrete pieces of gear with all of their inventory slot/materia/soulbind/durability data.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Boogalo posted:

A vanity tab would still be lovely since it wouldn't alleviate the need for retainers full of bullshit you might want to glamour someday. Diablo 3 has the best system where anything you bind gets added to a list of available glamours you can apply for a small fee. In FF14 it could be a right click option "recover for glamour" that destroys the gear and adds it to your list. I'd expect that to be cleaner in a database than discrete pieces of gear with all of their inventory slot/materia/soulbind/durability data.

This is also how WoW works as of Legion. Go to transmog dude, select item you want your gear to look like, done.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hell yeah, shuffled into two lines and got the Khloe minion.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not saying the extreme primals need to all be as hard as Thordan Ex was for pugs, but being harder than Bismarck seems like a fair metric to aspire to.

The weakness change undoubtedly has something to do with it though since these fights don't seem to have meaningful dps checks.

Though surprisingly the SSS for Scholar for both requires about 2100 dps.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I really wish we could glamour gear from other classes. I want my samurai to look armored.

No good reason for not allowing it, as tanks (for example) can already look like casters because most of the cosmetic stuff looks like cloth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Philonius posted:

I really wish we could glamour gear from other classes. I want my samurai to look armored.

No good reason for not allowing it, as tanks (for example) can already look like casters because most of the cosmetic stuff looks like cloth.

There's absolutely no good reason for it because you can even see the armor combinations using the Try On feature.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Philonius posted:

The Omega raid is apparently going to drop some Samurai style armor for everyone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've seen a few armoured-looking Samurai out there. Nothing like full-plate tin-can like tanks can get, but more armoured than most monk gear would look.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just want lamellar Shogun armor.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've seen a few armoured-looking Samurai out there. Nothing like full-plate tin-can like tanks can get, but more armoured than most monk gear would look.

isn't there a pvp chest for monks which looks like a metal breastplate only chiseled into awesome abs form?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rhymenoserous posted:

isn't there a pvp chest for monks which looks like a metal breastplate only chiseled into awesome abs form?

It's got a bit of a leathery texture to it, so you'd have to use a metallic dye in order to have the shiniest pecs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Play a Paladin today!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah yes after a whole expansion of repression the Paladins have their day. They'll probably keep it too, while WARs discuss the marginal changes to them that patches bring.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's going to be Most Excellent when SE sees the current situation and responds by lowering Holy Spirit's potency, making Spear and Spire even worse, and no other changes

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rhymenoserous posted:

Metal breastplate? Nah, it's only got a bit of metal on the shoulder and elbows.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Gnath torso.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bleu posted:

:confused: You're supposed to do that, it's not optional.

It's not optional in Savage, but you can get away with it in normal.

Speaking of, it turns out that if you unsync A12S, you don't get enough LB gauge to use tank LB3 before Divine Judgment, so every non-tank dies. Oops! (e: well unless you wait in the add phase for a long time but pffft)

Bobfly posted:

Gnath torso.

I would wear the Gnath torso forever if the goddamn shell didn't clip into the haft of my axe

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 30, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eight-Six posted:

Normally I would agree but then again in HW we had a patch and a half of the Warrior of Darkness stuff that included a fair amount of old-world and, sadly, didn't end with a fight on the moon.

I'd love to know what the deal was with that plotline. Like did they always plan to have it go full Poochy on us or did they just have to scrap it so it wouldn't be a loose end* when Stormblood hit?

* Having the WoD as a recurring enemy working with the Empire in Stormblood would've been acceptable.

Philonius posted:

If they follow the same pattern as they did in Heavensward, it''ll be :

320 for Omega normal
330 for the new capped tomestone gear, upgradeable to 340 in a later patch
340 for Omega savage

The new tomestone gear will be immediately upgradeable, you'll just have to be able to clear the 2nd and 3rd turns of savage Alexander Omega.

320 for Omega normal gear would also mean anyone with Lakshmi accessories can ignore some/all of the non-ring token drops and focus on getting their rightside gear, though that's only going to matter for raiders.

SettingSun posted:

Early dragoon class quests would simply make no sense if you did them after a certain point in the HW story.

Canonically all job quests take place in their expansion's timeline regardless of when you actually run them.

Shere posted:

One of the interactive books in Gubal Hard Mode talks about it.

Essentially the flavor names don't add anything but flavor, at the cost of not being crystal clear to someone who might not care about fancy spell names.

Also the fact that ra/ga/ja/da* are literally just 2/3/4/5 in a more flowery presentation. Though they're still a better rewrite than what Dragon Quest did to its spell names.

* I forget if -da spells are in any actual FF games our just 3rd part stuff like FFRK.

Glagha posted:

Tank LB3 is basically only ever used on like, Alexander and Bahamut who both have a huge unavoidable damage attack that are nigh if not completely impossible to survive without mitigating it that way. Healer is for when everything has gone to poo poo and you need to rescue everyone, and the damage dealers are for everything else.

Tank LB during the 2nd Holy Bleed in A12S can be a better use than melee LB since it meant the healers' job went from "OH SWEET gently caress FULL HP AND SHIELDS NOW OR WIPE" to "ok everyone's topped off and ok let's just kill this fucker" depending on how much health Alexander had left.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Play a Paladin today!

Is this accurate? I never got my paladin too high, but this looks manageable.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I like the numerical system so it's easier to notate rotations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Alternatively, it's actually fun and good being able to go into an EX primal and actually clear it with a party finder group after a few wipes, instead of trying ten times over a week and timing out each time because the fight expects a static communicating over voice chat

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd love to know what the deal was with that plotline. Like did they always plan to have it go full Poochy on us or did they just have to scrap it so it wouldn't be a loose end* when Stormblood hit?

* Having the WoD as a recurring enemy working with the Empire in Stormblood would've been acceptable.

It definitely felt weird. They might be setting up for a far off plot point, sorta like how Omega was first brought up during A Realm Reborn and then barely mentioned until the lead in to Stormblood. It certainly seemed like they were putting a pin on the subject of "What's happening in the Reflections" for us to keep in mind.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

OB_Juan posted:

Is this accurate? I never got my paladin too high, but this looks manageable.

Apparently you want to delay Fight or Flight until right before your first Goring Blade so you can fit in two Goring's and get Requiescat off right at the last second of the buff. Other than that though it's pretty much spot on.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
thordan was the only unreasonably difficult primal in heavensward, and coincidentally his was also the best fight. i didn't even have a static back then, by the way. if every party finder group you go into spontaneously combusts, you may want to search within your own heart. namaste.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
launch ravana was also pretty rough, i guess, but that was more trying to do it in leveling gear than anything else

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm probably going to hit BLM 68 sometime tomorrow, and I've been trying to figure out how the trait for Flare affects the aoe rotation at that point. Am I correct in thinking you'd want to Fire 2/4 (depending on mob count) twice, Flare with your last heart, then Flare again with your remaining mana (then Convert Flare if it's up)? Or am I totally off track?

Also more generally when do you throw out Thundercloud procs while AoEing, and how many targets do you want before you switch from Thunder 3 to 4?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 30, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Apparently you want to delay Fight or Flight until right before your first Goring Blade so you can fit in two Goring's and get Requiescat off right at the last second of the buff. Other than that though it's pretty much spot on.

Yep, if you FoF first, you're missing that last Goring and Requiescat for just 100 more total potency on the first Fast and Riot Blade. Together, not each. Too much of a sacrifice when you consider a FoF Goring Blade alone is worth an additional 167.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The SB launch Extreme Primals are significantly more difficult than Whale EX but a little easier than Ravana EX which I feel is a good place to start for EX fights in a new expansion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm probably going to hit BLM 68 sometime tomorrow, and I've been trying to figure out how the trait for Flare affects the aoe rotation at that point. Am I correct in thinking you'd want to Fire 2/4 (depending on mob count) twice, Flare with your last heart, then Flare again with your remaining mana (then Convert Flare if it's up)? Or am I totally off track?

Also more generally when do you throw out Thundercloud procs while AoEing, and how many targets do you want before you switch from Thunder 3 to 4?

That's the most efficient way to use your MP, but I've heard some debate about whether it's worth the bother of using Fire 2 at all, rather than just jumping straight to Flare and going through the entire cycle faster. I'm not an expert though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
even ravana normal (or hard or whatever they're called) was a loving pubcrusher

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Play a Paladin today!

I love everything about this :allears:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It does seem a little bit abrupt but it does serve a few purposes:

1. Gives a little bit more context to the Ascian's actions
2. Sets up the idea of parallel universes which almost certainly will be mined for content at some point in the future
3. Puts another couple datapoints into a slow-burning metaplot that our own power and ability to constantly destroy all challengers may actually have some negative affect on the fabric of reality, considering the WoDs are basically us after being successful for even longer
4. Introduces Heavensward-version Alisae as a proper red mage shitwrecker and all around Best Scion

XIV's plotline is notable for keeping future plots on the back burner for long periods of time before they actually become the main focus, occasionally flipping back to remind you that they exist - consider all the buildup to Stormblood. The concept of Ala Mhigo and it's occupation was first being introduced as a concept way back in 2013 when we're all taking our first characters through Little Ala Mhigo. Follow that up with the end of 2.5 with Ilberd bringing the Ala Mhigo plot back into focus, prompting our flight to Ishgard, then a brief touch upon that plot with in HW when we go back and get Raubahn, and then allusions to it in 3.4's MSQ before 3.5 is pretty much all about that because now we're going into the Ala Mhigo expansion.

The thing with the WoD plot line was that it wasn't a WoD plot line - it was an Ascian plot line, the longest plot arc passing through everything, and it was basically there just to remind you that the Ascians exist, and are assholes, and the entire world itself still has some serious problems that we will need to solve beyond which Evil Empire is currently causing problems on a given continent in this expansion.

Fake Edit:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I love everything about this :allears:

"Is it safe to come out yet?"
"NO."

Makes me giggle every time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doma Castle was a cool dungeon. Is it me or was the final boss a big step up in difficulty for MSQ bosses? My party didn't wipe but there was a ton of damage going out, we were all low on HP at points, and all the mechanics going out really required you to pay attention and think quickly. It almost felt like it could've been a normal mode Alexander boss. I like the trend SB seems to be showing of ramping up the MSQ bosses to be more involved, they were way too braindead in the past.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

That's the most efficient way to use your MP, but I've heard some debate about whether it's worth the bother of using Fire 2 at all, rather than just jumping straight to Flare and going through the entire cycle faster. I'm not an expert though.

I've also heard debate about whether using T4 is worthwhile at all. Honestly I'm a little tempted to just sit down and math it out myself.

(Fun fact: at something like 28 enemies, F2 is actually more potency/second than Flare because of the falloff.)

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Is rather content be clearable and slightly easy than slam my balls in a drawer hard to just barely squeak out a win. If that's the content you want then great - wait for savage - but EX primal should be able to be cleared by any non-brain dead group.

What are you talking about? They already are able to be cleared by any non brain dead group. They're a walk over and have been since everything after Thordan, dying in 2-4 pulls from scratch The problem is you are playing with brain dead people or are bad.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

vOv posted:

I've also heard debate about whether using T4 is worthwhile at all. Honestly I'm a little tempted to just sit down and math it out myself.

(Fun fact: at something like 28 enemies, F2 is actually more potency/second than Flare because of the falloff.)

There is a cap on the number of enemies an ability can actually hit, and I'm certain it is less than 28.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Play a Paladin today!

lmao, beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

numerrik posted:

So thread, I am playing through 2.x stuff to farm the ponies, and was wondering besides the ponies/coils/24 mans is there any major 2.x content worth hitting up, or is everything else just xp fodder for the classes I haven't touched yet?

Tl;dr what's worth seeing in 2.x?

I really enjoyed the delivery moogle quests. Bunch of side quests where you follow up on minor NPCs.

Plus you get a cute hat and shiny subligar.