Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCoy Pauley posted:

Trip report from recent games picked up during Steam Sale:
That being said, and maybe this is just playing it at the same time as Dead Cells, the controls (particularly the jumping) feel a little floaty, and it has this annoying thing where hitting an enemy pushes you back slightly. I can get used to it, but it's annoying me now. It's a finished game, so it's got that. Overall, very pleasing, but it just doesn't have for me the perfect feel of Dead Cells.
You can get a charm where you don't move backwards when attacking, it only costs 1 slot as well. It's a design choice and I like it giving weight to things. The controls are actually extremely precise and you can tell the devs worked hard to make them smooth. It has very fine air control so you can decide almost on a dime of where to go which allows for more forgiving platforming. Gravity is also a little slower to let you take more advantage of this so you don't fall super fast either. Some people don't like this and prefer stiff jumps where you just hit jump and it goes where it's going to go, which I think is crazy, but there you go.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had a large haul this sale and here's a shotgun blast of little reviews:

Domina: A pixel style-heavy gladiator management sim, it's tricky to wrap my head around but it doesn't feel very grounded in reality, the mechanics are pretty abstracted out, so YMMV as it wasn't really what I was looking for as a more grounded experience.

Cold Waters: Still working through the tutorial but it's absolutely a throwback to old school simulator simming, if you like shooting torpedos at boats it's right up your alley.

Torchlight 2: Good podcast listening game which you can play without having to focus too hard on it. Good if you are watching a movie or a show or something and just wanna occupy your hands.

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations: Absolutely worth it, the feeling of spending 10-20 minutes planning out an attack strategy and feeling your whole body tighten up as a little red missile icon drifts towards your little blue jet icon doesn't compare to anything out there. Incredibly satisfying when you figure out how to make it all come together.

Sleeping Dogs: Fantastic story and one of the best implementations of Arkham style combat, a must-buy if you haven't got it already.

Tavern Tycoon: Skip this for now, it's a bit too barebones for the people who would be into this style of management sim.

Megalomaniac: The best idle clicker game yet. Absolutely a must-buy, it's utterly hilarious and poignant.

Hand of Fate: Absolutely buy this. Another Arkham style combat with a fantastic card system and an even better narrator than Darkest Dungeon. Do absolutely get this gem of a game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal.

I just did a minigame to find all the hidden pill bottles in the apartment of a drug-addicted hospital administrator. Then I got a montage with an acoustic guitar song as he goes cold turkey with the help of the main character to kick the drugs.

:stare:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks thread for making me poorer everyday... Also does anybody have an opinion on A House of Many Doors ?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mr E posted:

Could I get horror games recommendations? I beat SOMA a few weeks ago and loved it, and have the first Amnesia and Alien: Isolation to play. Pretty much any style would be fine since I haven't played a ton of horror games after Silent Hill 4.

These will be random as hell, but they're all horror games of various sorts.

Mad Father
Angels of Death
Hello Charlotte - the first episode is free on itch.io and you should definitely play it first (save often and plenty)
The House in Fata Morgana - to explain why would be spoilerish as hell
RE:Kinder - this is just all kinds of screwed up, and there's even a story to this game
Spooky's House of Jumpscares - there's also a paid HD version that includes the DLC as part of the whole package, so definitely pick that one up

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mu. posted:

I will now recommend some games that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread.

Jets'n'Guns is really old, but you can pick it up for almost nothing, so I feel like plugging it bc it's one of only a handful of games that I still go back to and replay every couple of years. It's a side-scrolling western shoot 'em up, similar to Tyrian in the sense that the better you do on each level the more money you'll have to buy new weapons, ships, and upgrades in the following levels. I don't even like shoot 'em ups but I still love Jets'n'Guns. The screenshots on the Steam page give a pretty decent sense of what the game is like, and I'm almost certain that the band who made the soundtrack use an old SID chip for their synthesizer, so if you're an old man like me it'll remind you of the glory days of the C64 and Amiga. Recommended for players who enjoy: moving sideways, firing projectiles at hundreds of exploding enemies, upgrading things, nonsensical storylines in broken English.

Jets n Guns has an amazing soundtrack by Machinae Supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgznCUjTWJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRgCIDcl6M

Now that's some game music.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Hand of Fate: Absolutely buy this. Another Arkham style combat with a fantastic card system and an even better narrator than Darkest Dungeon. Do absolutely get this gem of a game.

Lots of people like this so I'm probably objectively wrong but I found the combat to be extremely mediocre and lacking in punch, and the rest of game too shallow to back it up - there was no sense of adventure or strategy, just lots of random chance to succeed or fail options and the occasional shop. I really liked the idea but the execution didn't draw me in at all.

The narrator is pretty great though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Edit: on another note, Bundlestars has a deal on Monster Slayers (Complete Ed.) - it's a deck-building game with good reviews. The price (which is lower than Steams price) also includes all the DLC. And you get an additional 5% off with RED5 code.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/monster-slayers-complete-edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

Edit #2 - VVV beaten! VVV

Jumped on this, thanks! I know Dream Quest is the cream of the crop of deck-building RPGs but I can't stand the art so maybe this will jive with me better

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have you ever wanted to drive a city bus for 4 blocks through the streets of Cleveland New York City? Then I have the perfect game for you! New York Bus Sumilator! Whoops, that game required effort to actually make. I meant this New York Bus Simulator, but I suppose the real title is New York Bus the Simulation. It has everything you'd expect for a game set in New York: buildings as tall as 3-storys, occasionally seeing more than 10 cars on the road, bus lanes, and everything in metric!

This review brought to you by Nettle Soup and the Summer Gift Train. Toot toot!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Thanks thread for making me poorer everyday... Also does anybody have an opinion on A House of Many Doors ?

It's like Sunless Sea but with faster gameplay (easier to avoid combat) and a different setting! The writing is just as good if not better, and because the setting isn't tied into a browser game you can actually change the status quo in a big way.

I like it a lot, especially the bug kingdom civil war sequence.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

Thats fair, maybe you need to binge on several short games, hit a long game, do several shorter, maybe really put off the "mediocre" games you really don't want to play in another catagory so you don't have to look at them. Gunslinger can be finished in about.. 7 hours? Maybe sooner if you don't try to hunt for collectibles (There are not very many and it tells you how many out of each level you got). But it's stupid fun so you could finish it in a few sittings with a wide grin on your face.

Talos is longer, depending on how many optional levels and gold-star things you go for, and how good you are, but could be 20-40 hours. I think if you did the bare minimum and pretty competent you could do it in 10-15.

Not a bad idea, thanks for the suggestion. The only long games I'll be grabbing this sale are Hollow Knight and Talos; the rest being 6-8 hours or less.

Regarding categories, at one point I organized my steam library with categories like "completed" "backlog" "retired" and hid all the games I had no interest in ever playing (stuff like beta versions). Problem with that is I found it felt too much like work, where I was forcing myself to beat games I wasn't having fun with, as the alternative was move them in to the "retired" category.
Now I don't have anything categorized, I just installed what I want to, or am, playing and set the library to show installed games only. Feels less like work.

To try out some of my really old games (we are talking bought in 2012-2013) I was going to use a steam random game chooser, play an hour or two, and move on if the game doesn't grab me. That way I at least work through trying everything in my library, but don't feel like I need to beat every game I attempt.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's like Sunless Sea but with faster gameplay (easier to avoid combat) and a different setting! The writing is just as good if not better, and because the setting isn't tied into a browser game you can actually change the status quo in a big way.

I like it a lot, especially the bug kingdom civil war sequence.

Bug kingdom civil war?!? SOLD

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Mr E posted:

Could I get horror games recommendations? I beat SOMA a few weeks ago and loved it, and have the first Amnesia and Alien: Isolation to play. Pretty much any style would be fine since I haven't played a ton of horror games after Silent Hill 4.

I'll add a few more to the giant pile of games people have already suggested. Keep in mind that I'm a complete wimp when it comes to jump scares so these are all more along the lines of 'psychological horror' with relatively few, if any, jump scares and/or chase scenes:

DISTRAINT - Too Shy Guy included this one in their list, but I want to second it. It's a great little game which is more weird and sad than scary. It has a few puzzles, but they're all on the easy side since the focus is on the narrative. It's also one of the few games I can think of with a truly morally grey protagonist so the story does a great job of keeping you in suspense until the end. There's a sequel of sorts being worked on, but I would strongly suggest avoiding any information on it if you plan to play the original.

The Music Machine - My hard drive ended up dying on me when I was trying to play this a few months back and I haven't gotten around to restarting it yet, but I got about halfway through and liked what I played of it. It's an atmospheric first-person horror game with a great look and no jump scares or gore (as far as I know). As for what it's about, I think the Steam page's description says it best so I'll just paste it here: "Haley, an eccentric 13 year old girl, has a complicated relationship with her old friend Quintin. He's a ghost now, and he's puppeting her body with the intent of finding a satisfactory way of killing her. This dubious quest has led them to a mysterious abandoned island, where several people were recently murdered."

Close Your Eyes - This one's technically free, though it does have a paid DLC sidestory which is currently discounted. It's also made in RPG Maker so the handful of chase scenes it has are wonky, but it's mostly about the writing and puzzle solving so that doesn't matter much. It starts out fairly generic, but it gets more interesting as it goes along and much of the game is about trying to figure out what's going on. It has multiple endings, but you can finish the game in about 2 hours and there's only one (very obvious) branch split so you can see most of the endings in a single run. Another game by the developer, Red Haze, takes place within the same universe and has a very modest 10% discount - it looks interesting, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say if it's actually good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

These will be random as hell, but they're all horror games of various sorts.

Spooky's House of Jumpscares - there's also a paid HD version that includes the DLC as part of the whole package, so definitely pick that one up
Fixed your link
It is amazing considering there is a free version. Plenty of ways to die and you get rewarded for idling for a long time.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Special thanks to Hoxasaurus Rex for hooking it up with Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nova-111, Dragon Fin Soup, Highrise Heroes and One Finger Death Punch in this bundle

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Is Dragon Fin Soup any good? I remember seeing a booth at a comic con a couple of years ago where they were demoing their work in progress and then... I never heard of it again until just now.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Best of the Sale:
Tadpole Treble - it's adorable and only $1.24. The first 3 levels are somewhat meh due to being instrumentals, but then you start getting singing and it owns.

I don't regret buying these:
Brigador - Isometric vehicular war crimes. It's good...ish. I feel it could use some more, but I can't deny wrecking a city using a mech full of high explosive cannons is fun.
House of the Dying Sun - 3D spaceship war crimes. Pretty short, but maybe it has some legs with endless mode? I'm not sure about this one yet.

:mediocre::
Ubermosh Volume 5

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Immortal Redneck is, by far, the best FPS roguelite I have played. Massive arsenal of guns that are all very powerful-feeling and have high creativity, a very cute and good-looking aesthetic, and amazingly slick Doom 16-esque movement.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sale ends when?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

Sale ends when?

Look at the store front page

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Is Dragon Fin Soup any good? I remember seeing a booth at a comic con a couple of years ago where they were demoing their work in progress and then... I never heard of it again until just now.

Eh, not really. There are far better roguelikes out there to spend time and money on. Dungeonmans and Caves of Qud are the two I, and most likely everyone else in this thread, would recommend over it.

Mystic Stylez posted:

How long exactly is Domina? Is it replayable? Does it have a story? I'm not sure how the game works.

It's designed to be played in 1-3 hours from start to finish. The game takes place over one in-game year, although there is an endless mode. As for replayability, I haven't had it long enough to really gauge that, but I already have a few finished games under my belt and it's still pretty fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ended up getting Brigador: Armored Up. I haven't really bitten into the meat of it yet, still working through the campaign, but it seems interesting. The art-style reminds me of the old Sim City games, and it's a lot of fun to chunk buildings and run the little people over. The campaign has been almost entirely tutorial so far, I just got to the missions where you actually get to pick a character and I still can't modify my loadout, but it's probably for the best as there seems to be a good amount of complexity to it. As there should be in mech games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Ended up getting Brigador: Armored Up. I haven't really bitten into the meat of it yet, still working through the campaign, but it seems interesting. The art-style reminds me of the old Sim City games, and it's a lot of fun to chunk buildings and run the little people over. The campaign has been almost entirely tutorial so far, I just got to the missions where you actually get to pick a character and I still can't modify my loadout, but it's probably for the best as there seems to be a good amount of complexity to it. As there should be in mech games.

Feel free to pop over to Freelance mode whenever you feel ready for it - the campaign is REALLY good, but Freelance is where you live - you modify your loadout there, and do multiple maps in a row.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Life is Strange. 14 hours for one playthrough. Buy this game if you haven't got it and like adventure games. Storywise this is definitely among the best games I have played, even if the graphics could be better sometimes.
Don't read on if you haven't played it: drat the story takes a turn for the dark and sad though, I actually felt "bummed out" and had to take a break after that chapter. And the final choice was actually really difficult, not just a pick a or b, I actually thought about it. One story aspect I think they messed up is how Chloe can suddenly remember Max time travels when Max can't, or did I misunderstand that part? That seemed like a hole in the story because normally the only person who remembers is Max. Overall a great game though.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
I asked earlier in this thread about good online co-op games my friend and I can play. We've beat Factorio, Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve Together, etc. etc.

I read through the thread and we picked out two games and played 'em:

Risk of Rain: Really fun! But, sadly, REALLY short. I think it took us about 4 playthroughs and ~3 hours total to beat the last boss. I don't even think we're *that* good at this sorta game, so if you're some sort of platformer roguelite pro you're gonna be finished this game fast. Good fun, though, even if we found a lot of the maps pretty same-y and had a few interesting UI bugs that ended in premature deaths (including his death on the last level right before the final boss--oy vey).

The Forest: This looked a lot like a 3d version of DST which we both enjoyed quite a bit. This game came out about two years ago and is clearly still in the alpha. I actually ended up bugging out the menu within 5m of gameplay and being forever locked in a state where all I could do was look around. There's very little impetus for you to proceed with the story, and very little depth in crafting. The island you're on is pretty small (we explored the whole perimeter in less than one day's time in-game). The best weapon you can craft appears to be some sort of sharpened stick with bones, which just lets you stun enemies until they die. The games' clearly got a decent base to it if they fix the UI bugs and the ambiance in-game is pretty good, but they've still got a ways to go 'til they can make a decent game. Probably doesn't bode well that it's already on sale.

In conclusion:
Risk of Rain is a fun, albeit short, game. If you're not good at that sort metroid-platformer-roguelite sorta style you might get 10 hours out of it maybe. Likewise, if you are a completionist. My suggestion? It's fun, buy on sale if you dig that sort of game. Works better solo, but is okay with a partner.
The Forest has neat ambiance but bugs and general lack of depth kinda ruin the experience a bit--also a 4ft drop will straight up kill you. My suggestion? Pass. If you *really* think you might like a co-op game of this style, just play Don't Starve Together.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Mystic Stylez posted:

How long exactly is Domina? Is it replayable? Does it have a story? I'm not sure how the game works.

I feel it's good for about 10-15 hours of play which is where you've basically solved the strategic layer, and beyond that it's just watching gladiators yell and kill each other (which is still entertaining but not really a "game") or manually controlling and seeing if you can win 1v9 bouts. The normal game mode where you play through one in-game year in a couple hours has enough variation to warrant replays, there are rare events like getting lions or behemoths to fight for you that you might not see every time. The endless mode currently gets too easy past the first year because you carry over everything, though I think it's still being patched and rebalanced, there was an update for it a couple days ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mystic Stylez posted:

How hard is to get into the controllers and the difficulty of the game, though? I want it, but I remember back at release most people were really put off by those two aspects.

Someone else can definitely give a better answer since I'm still early in but for what it's worth the campaign does a really good job easing you into the mechanics. You can die really quickly if you aren't being careful but there are a lot of systems in place to give you advantages over your enemies. For example, hitting enemies from the back or sides does more damage so if you see a group ahead you can flank around some buildings and nuke them before they can react.

I was also under the impression that the Armored Up expansion was partly designed to make the game more accessible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mystic Stylez posted:

How hard is to get into the controllers and the difficulty of the game, though? I want it, but I remember back at release most people were really put off by those two aspects.

I like to think of myself as garbage at these kinds of games but you can actually slow down how time passes in the game in the menu. So what I did was I set the time percentage to 80% of normal and I tried with different control schemes until I found the one that worked for me. The best part is that you can crank time back up to 90 or 95 or 100 if you think the game's getting too easy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my back pages posted:

I asked earlier in this thread about good online co-op games my friend and I can play. We've beat Factorio, Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve Together, etc. etc.

e: nm didn't read it as online co-op

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Antti posted:

Consensus seems to be that Sniper Elite 3 is better than Sniper Elite 4. Buy Sniper Elite 3 and save the money, buy Watch_Dogs 2 when it's cheaper? :v:

Anyone know the consensus on whether the season pass pack is worth it for $12.49? I heard it may be the only way to kill hitler (in this game). I have never played SE games before but like the idea of them. Base SE 3 is $5.99 versus $4.99 for Sniper Elite V2 and $30 for Sniper Elite 4.

E: I guess I could get base game + hitler mission for $5 more but that's $11 anyway.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 30, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More goons need to buy the heavily discounted, Engrishly named, secret best fighting game UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late so I can maybe stop getting my rear end kicked online. :v:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend as far as first person turn based RPG Dungeon Crawlers that might flown under the radar, I'm basically talking about stuff like the Wizardy series, Might & Magic X - Legacy, StarCrawlers, Elminage Gothic etc. I played Legend of GrimrockI &II, also.
little unclear if you mean you've played those games or are looking for recommendations but might & magic X - legacy is an amazingly good game that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone either experienced in first person dungeon crawls or willing to give the genre a try.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter - worth getting? How does it compare to Crimes and Punishments?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

a helpful bear posted:

Anyone know the consensus on whether the season pass pack is worth it for $12.49? I heard it may be the only way to kill hitler (in this game). I have never played SE games before but like the idea of them. Base SE 3 is $5.99 versus $4.99 for Sniper Elite V2 and $30 for Sniper Elite 4.

E: I guess I could get base game + hitler mission for $5 more but that's $11 anyway.

The additional DLC varies from additional weapons, rifle skins, char models (good for any MP/co-op you want to play), and 3 missions (each one being a separate DLC) with 1 being the kill Hitler one. I enjoyed all 3 missions, but then again I love the game. The additional weapons I never really tried, so I can't comment on those.
I think the Season pass includes everything.
If you're on a budget, maybe the base game + Hitler mission might be a good option.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Since they're both on sale, is it worth getting both system shocks or should i only get 2?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
One is getting a modern remaster/remake due any month now.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my back pages posted:

Risk of Rain: Really fun! But, sadly, REALLY short. I think it took us about 4 playthroughs and ~3 hours total to beat the last boss. I don't even think we're *that* good at this sorta game, so if you're some sort of platformer roguelite pro you're gonna be finished this game fast. Good fun, though, even if we found a lot of the maps pretty same-y and had a few interesting UI bugs that ended in premature deaths (including his death on the last level right before the final boss--oy vey).

Not trying to be a dick, but you do know Risk of Rain is meant to be played over and over again, right? Your review sounds like it's meant to be a single play through game. Like, I don't think you can get most of the characters in your 4 playthroughs.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Since they're both on sale, is it worth getting both system shocks or should i only get 2?

Get both, what's your Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

One is getting a modern remaster/remake due any month now.

It's still a ways away. "2nd quarter of 2018"

• Locked thread