Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Do you HAVE to read the Horus Heresy books in order to really enjoy/understand them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rocket_man38 posted:

Do you HAVE to read the Horus Heresy books in order to really enjoy/understand them?

Not at all especially if you like kinda know who Horus and the Primarchs are so you aren't just like uh who if someone's naming dropping someone important into a scene.

There are however a handful of novels that cover story arcs that should be read in a particular order like the first 3, the Thousand son/Prospero Burns/wolf books/ the two about the angels and uh know no fear/mark of calth all that poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rocket_man38 posted:

The first three tell a pretty connected story, so those should be read in order. But you don't have to read them first. The same with Descent of Angels and Fall of Angels, they tell the story of the schism in the Dark Angels and you want to read Descent before Fall. There's also sort of sub series about the Ultramarines. Know no Fear starts the story of the Ultramarines and Guilliman's involvement in the heresy at Ultramar. That stories continues on in Mark of Calth and Unremembered Empire and so on.

Beyond that, not really

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Not really, it helps at times to maybe understand some of the background of what's happening and they sometimes give enough little quick summaries or the characters themselves have no idea either on what's happening.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vadoc posted:

Not really, it helps at times to maybe understand some of the background of what's happening and they sometimes give enough little quick summaries or the characters themselves have no idea either on what's happening.

There's sort of three basic timeframes for HH era stories:

Leading up to the Heresy, or "where were you when poo poo hit the fan". We have "betrayal happened and demons are real" from the POV of at least two Loyalist legions". now.
Reactions to the Heresy. Loyalists hit back, traitors scheme.
Aren't we at Terra yet ? The Heresy is an established fact, stories happen in that context.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

mllaneza posted:

There's sort of three basic timeframes for HH era stories:

Leading up to the Heresy, or "where were you when poo poo hit the fan". We have "betrayal happened and demons are real" from the POV of at least two Loyalist legions". now.
Reactions to the Heresy. Loyalists hit back, traitors scheme.
Aren't we at Terra yet ? The Heresy is an established fact, stories happen in that context.

As of master of mankind we are up to the traitor legions fight over mars and establishing the siege of terra.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

At this rate we'll have the dubious pleasure of dying by the thousands at the Eternity Gate in the actual 30th millennium before any actual books covering the siege are released.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Have any Jews ever shown up in the 30th or 40th millennium? I know that they inexplicably appear in the later Dune books, and since this series cribs so much from that I got to wondering...

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Personal theory: the Navigators are Jews

Their secretive mutant bloodline evolves the ability to navigate the warp late in the year 10,000

But, spoiler; they've always had a third eye on their foreheads, they've just managed to distract everyone from them so far

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

One Legged Cat posted:

Personal theory: the Navigators are Jews

Their secretive mutant bloodline evolves the ability to navigate the warp late in the year 10,000

But, spoiler; they've always had a third eye on their foreheads, they've just managed to distract everyone from them so far

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
This thread went Reddit real fast.

Never go full Reddit.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Warpcraft is actually practical Kabbalah.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Have any Jews ever shown up in the 30th or 40th millennium? I know that they inexplicably appear in the later Dune books, and since this series cribs so much from that I got to wondering...

I think by the 40th millennium cultures are so homogenized etc. that such distinctions are long extinct. I could be wrong though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rocket_man38 posted:

I think by the 40th millennium cultures are so homogenized etc. that such distinctions are long extinct. I could be wrong though.

Catholics appear by implication in a couple of the Horus Heresy novels (as "Catherics") but that's about it for real-world religions getting talked about in 40k.

Dune is a different kettle of fish. Jews appearing in that series isn't so inexplicible once you understand that the Fremen and Tleilaxu are Muslims just without ever using that exact word.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Catholics appear by implication in a couple of the Horus Heresy novels (as "Catherics") but that's about it for real-world religions getting talked about in 40k.

Dune is a different kettle of fish. Jews appearing in that series isn't so inexplicible once you understand that the Fremen and Tleilaxu are Muslims just without ever using that exact word.

Fremen practice a form of Zensunni I think, so it's explicitly stated. :goonsay:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Man, I finished Galaxy in Flames the other day and it's such a shame they couldn't get a better author to do the momentousness of it all justice.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

From what I've seen, this is the closest you're getting.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Janissaries are/were Ottoman, unless I'm missing something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Shroud posted:

Janissaries are/were Ottoman, unless I'm missing something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabees

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dark Crusade featured a human turned Necron Pariah named Tomas Macabee.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Emperors Text to Speech are looking for female VA talent.
https://youtu.be/Z3fWzeR5828

Hope this means they plan on having more permanent female characters in future episodes.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 30, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone have a link for the asoiaf-40k story? Turns out the link from earlier is the thread is dead now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The new Helsreach is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jahCLBmqHnI

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
So, got a question. Last year I got through round 1 of that short story competition BL held. I've not heard anything since. Any fellow goons been in the same boat as me?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Just watched all six parts. Thanks for posting.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a link for the asoiaf-40k story? Turns out the link from earlier is the thread is dead now.

I dunno how thorough this is cause I never got around to reading it despite having the bookmark for months, but try this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So he's been using his kinect to do the mocap he then ports into Source Filmmaker? I love his dedication and that's a great DIY solution to make the videos faster.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KramFoot posted:

So, got a question. Last year I got through round 1 of that short story competition BL held. I've not heard anything since. Any fellow goons been in the same boat as me?

Congratulations, they didn't like my 500 word sample.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

So he's been using his kinect to do the mocap he then ports into Source Filmmaker? I love his dedication and that's a great DIY solution to make the videos faster.

This dude has literally been making the best 40k animations out there. It's incredibly remarkable.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

This dude has literally been making the best 40k animations out there. It's incredibly remarkable.

Seriously. I hope he gets a job out of all of this, or at least puts these videos up as part of a demo reel; ABD loves them too and has been pimping them out on his Facebook page whenever they get released.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Graham McNeil is bad at prose

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Seriously. I hope he gets a job out of all of this, or at least puts these videos up as part of a demo reel; ABD loves them too and has been pimping them out on his Facebook page whenever they get released.

I hope GW pays him to direct a Gaunts Ghosts animated series. It's not HBO, but I'd definitely be fine with seeing those stories in this style.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Moose_Knuck posted:

Warpcraft is actually practical Kabbalah.

I mean if you want to keep the metaphor going,

The Emperor is a literal ubermensch who appears and unites his people in a race-centric fascist state after they had experienced a period of poverty and suffering following a giant war they fought in and survived but certainly didn't win, and he was building a webway connection in order to make the navigators (space Jews) obsolete and to be done away with in his gene-pure ideal utopia.

SEE WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Please don't invoke GodEmperor's law

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I dunno how thorough this is cause I never got around to reading it despite having the bookmark for months, but try this.

Sadly it's none of those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

One Legged Cat posted:

I mean if you want to keep the metaphor going,

The Emperor is a literal ubermensch who appears and unites his people in a race-centric fascist state after they had experienced a period of poverty and suffering following a giant war they fought in and survived but certainly didn't win, and he was building a webway connection in order to make the navigators (space Jews) obsolete and to be done away with in his gene-pure ideal utopia.

And then it all fell apart in corruption, incompetence, and fire.

Truth in 40k.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just finished prospero burns, there's some good abnett.

a wet leopard-growl

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

This is my first time watching this series as well. Thank you for posting it.

This is how I imagined Warhammer would be. Honestly, all of Warhammer should be animated, it just adds so much depth and gravity to the universe. I would take one of these animated shorts over a modern horror movie any day. The sense of dread is just so palpable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pendent posted:

The new Helsreach is up:

So loving good.

When this series is over I hope he goes right into doing more or at least gets put in charge of something epic for GW.

But who am I kidding, they'd never do something cool and awesome like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

So loving good.

When this series is over I hope he goes right into doing more or at least gets put in charge of something epic for GW.

But who am I kidding, they'd never do something cool and awesome like that.

Somebody earlier was posting about how ADB was gushing about these on his facebook page. If this guy has a champion like ADB on the inside at GW I could totally see this turning into something more.

On a side note I'm really glad my posting that video got more people into this series. This artist definitely deserves as much attention for his work as he can get.