Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Are we entering the cap space is very important NBA, or re-entering? Have we entered? Is Jrue going to make 150m dollars?

vaginal facsimile posted:

Attention Dejan Bimble:

I love Thom Browne and all but they should be paying me to wear it and not Dwanye Wyade and his lawfully wedded wife

Intruder posted:

pro click right here

e: I died at the powerpoint presentation and then NERLENS WAS TRADE FOR A FAKE 1ST lmao

I lost it at the third collar joke

http://hinkie.theringer.com/

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

The minute complaint on Wings was totally overblown. He had guys like Butler and Deng who are the types of guys who soak up lots of minutes, just like Lebron, Iggy, Barnes, etc. Super-athletic wing players can play 34-37 minutes per game without any real risk. The Spurs example is funny because last year Pop played Kawhi almost 34 and LMA 32, so its not like they discovered one weird trick where you should keep guys under 30.

That same dumb opinion was used to blame Rose on Thibs, but Rose never played big minutes under Thibs. He actually played less under Thibs than he did under Vinny Del Negro. The year Rose first got hurt Thibs played him 35 minutes a game, which was below average for guys like him.

Where it does ring true is Thibs like to play big men more minutes than I am comfortable with. He ran Noah hard 2 of the years he was there and he played KAT a lot. I don't think its ridiculously high minutes, but I think pulling it back some would be good. He hasn't really had more injuries to bigs than you'd expect though, which is why that argument usually isn't aimed just at big players.

Do you know if the insane practices stuff was true?

Honestly if it was it's still not half as hosed up as https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0n__BxzaZ/ WHERE ARE THE TRAINERS NO NO NO PLEASE STOP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dejan Bimble posted:

Are we entering the cap space is very important NBA, or re-entering? Have we entered? Is Jrue going to make 150m dollars?

I love Thom Browne and all but they should be paying me to wear it and not Dwanye Wyade and his lawfully wedded wife

I loved collecting second round picks to refresh health

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

First NBA player to wear one of those Thom Browne sleeves-to-the-floor outfits becomes my favorite player

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Going all-in on a 'superteam' that doesn't include a MVP-level player is super risky and Ainge is right to be patient. All the posturing is presumably just to appease the dumb entitled Boston sports fans.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, people probably wouldn't poo poo talk Ainge so much if he wasn't the most leaky and talkative motherfucker in the world.

Also might make other FO's more willing to work with him if they didn't have to worry about the entire negotiations leaking and pissing their own people off.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A lot of the leaks also seem like they're just him covering his rear end and trying to appease fans expecting the deal because it's always something where they offered this great package but darn it that other team is so unreasonable and wanted 3 starters and 5 first rounders or whatever.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/880849251609268224

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Do you know if the insane practices stuff was true?

Honestly if it was it's still not half as hosed up as https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0n__BxzaZ/ WHERE ARE THE TRAINERS NO NO NO PLEASE STOP

Almost everything the media said about Thibs was made up. There were tons of stories about how him and Butler couldn't coexist but that was obviously bunk. I don't know how intense his practices are, but I do know he likes tape sessions a lot so some guys might bitch about that.

Thibs also likes to bring in gym rat and workout warrior type guys too, so harder practices might just be inevitable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SundayMoney posted:

I've been reading the latest rumors about Jrue Holiday and it sounds like the Pelicans are going to give him a 5 year contract worth almost the max of 30 million a year. I know they're rumors but if they are close to true, I may have to drink away the disappointment.

Yeah, that would be way too much money for Jrue. Five years I'm fine with, but it really shouldn't be more than like 22M per.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

He gone

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Do they end up burning piles of money to keep Livingston then? Or just give Durant his full Max? Unless they make some big minimum salary splashes gsw is going to have some pretty big depth issues.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Almost everything the media said about Thibs was made up. There were tons of stories about how him and Butler couldn't coexist but that was obviously bunk. I don't know how intense his practices are, but I do know he likes tape sessions a lot so some guys might bitch about that.

Thibs also likes to bring in gym rat and workout warrior type guys too, so harder practices might just be inevitable.

Bruh. Gar Foreman and John Paxson literally went to the players before Thibs final year and told them that they have their best interests in mind, so if Thibs does something you guys don't want to do let us know and we can take care of it.

Like This Front office is the most bullshit front office in the league.

I can take incompetence more than malicious cowardness(edit: though they have both covered).

They were cowardly bitches who couldn't just fire Thibs because he was popular so they made the team quit on him by essentially telling the team they were trying to fire him, and then had the media plants(shouts to Dan Bernstein, and Haugh) push a narrative of Thibs losing the team due to hard practices and minutes.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 30, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Iggy has two rings now he can just go get one last nice paycheck from someone. Smart thing to do.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/880849384530821121

ehhh???

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Bruh. Gar Foreman and John Paxson literally went to the players before Thibs final year and told them that they have their best interests in mind, so if Thibs does something you guys don't want to do let us know and we can take care of it.

Like This Front office is the most bullshit front office in the league.

I can take incompetence more than malicious cowardness.

They were cowardly bitches who couldn't just fire Thibs because he was popular so they made the team quit on him by essentially telling the team they were trying to fire him, and then had the media plants(shouts to Dan Bernstein, and Haugh) push a narrative of Thibs losing the team due to hard practices and minutes.

While I agree with the front office disfunction, Chicago sports media is awful without any help. I think frequently blame is levied at the FO when it's legit just mean and lovely reporting to fill air. They make up stuff all the time about basically every team.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

morestuff posted:

Are mismatched shoes a thing now

Those laces are dope af.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

Sorry it took so long to get that scheduled reply in. I haven't logged in all day and I get here and see five hundred new posts. Off-season is nutty!

Nick bro I'm simultaneously hype and shook about now rooting for the Rockets. I dunno how to handle this.

Am I nuts for thinking Iggy leaving is kinda a big deal?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NickRoweFillea posted:

JaMychal Green would be the perfect player to put on the Wolves, I think. I'd be sad to see him go, but the young man has earned a big paycheck with his hard work and positive attitude and being better than Draymond and I'll not begrudge him that. Memphis already extended him a QO, but if a team comes through with cash money, then he must spread his wings and fly.

I've decided that the player I would like the Grizz to pursue with their MLE is none other than Secret Most Important Player Shaun Livingston. /vc/ is probably gone, and teams are eyeballing Tony Allen because he is still a solid defender and good locker room presence. I'm also curious to see what they do about Zbo. Might be a very sad offseason for Grit and Grind, because as much as I love those players...multi year guaranteed deals for aging vets are a hard pill to swallow. If Chandler Parsons sucks again this year, you're going to see his beautiful head on a pike outside the Grindhouse.

The Grizz have enough to bring back everyone, nobody wants Tony Allen in the same free agency as Andre Roberson and prince Luc.

Lockback posted:

Do they end up burning piles of money to keep Livingston then? Or just give Durant his full Max? Unless they make some big minimum salary splashes gsw is going to have some pretty big depth issues.

They will have plenty of minimum guys to choose from because salary cap is kinda hosed for anyone that's not the top 15 in this free agency. Especially Centers. Especially Centers.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Go take your $20 million a year, Iggy. You've earned it.

That's a decently big blow to the Warriors.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

While I agree with the front office disfunction, Chicago sports media is awful without any help. I think frequently blame is levied at the FO when it's legit just mean and lovely reporting to fill air. They make up stuff all the time about basically every team.

quote:

Since the trade, the only thing more surprising than the reality has been the reaction. The boos that cascaded through the United Center during the Game 6 blowout loss to the Celtics sounded like cries for change. Bulls executives John Paxson and Gar Forman heard them and responded with a bold move — yet the negativity intensified. How baffling.

Those complaining that the Bulls shouldn't have had to surrender the 16th pick aren't being realistic about Butler's value. Those unhappy with Butler leaving don't understand the way NBA teams typically must bottom out to rise again.

quote:

KAP-MAN: It’s a direction you and I have been screaming about for two years, they finally embraced it.

Friedell: Couldn’t agree with you more. Finally they’re unified in the need to do...something. I know we’re in a small minority on this, but I actually think the Bulls made the right move. We’ll see how it plays over time, and I have to laugh at the people who say ‘this certainly an ‘F’’, this is an awful deal

KAP-MAN: they’re not looking at what the deal is

Friedell: Absolutely! There was not that big of a market for Jimmy. We all respect what he’s done, but throughout the league, you’re only as good as you can get back, and this wasn’t a lot to get back in reality.

https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/status/878274980525617152

They are doing a ton of water carrying for just lovely reporting.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hot take: Iggy also earned the last two 6MOY awards but we gotta give it to another chucker cause points rule right.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ty probably willing to work for cheap or for a short deal and Vlade doesn't want to pay Collison top end backup/low end start money
https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/880849737011707904

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm no expert but yeah, I'd agree

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

per Houston chronicle, the Rockets intend to bring over Zhou Qi.

quote:

The Rockets would like to sign Zhou Qi to a long-term deal by using a portion of the mid-level exception, according to a person with knowledge of the team's plans, but they would be willing to spend the exception on the right free agent and sign Zhou to a shorter deal if necessary. It is a consideration to weigh.

7'2 21 year old in China that they drafted in 2016. I don't know much about him. Looking around online looks like hes got a decent outside shot. Skinny as gently caress, probably needs to put on about 50lbs to not get pushed around in the paint.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 30, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope Zhou comes over for Summer League so I can yell at the correct Chinese player about getting some roast duck

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm on a PC so I dunno how to do the eyes emoji but

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/880857059066920964

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

I mean sure, but it's also a line from the Album Hov released last night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

I mean sure, but it's also a line from the Album Hov released last night.

Well at least he didn't tweet the line about the Jews.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

zoux posted:

He's right. You go on air and your dumb cousin bombs because she said "toast" for "what is a popular thing to eat for dinner" and now everyone hates her for costing the family a vacation. Or you win and the family can't decide on where to go because Aunt Shelly wants to go on an Alaskan cruise and your sister Deborah wants the Caribbean and both refuse to budge

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

He's right. You go on air and your dumb cousin bombs because she said "toast" for "what is a popular thing to eat for dinner" and now everyone hates her for costing the family a vacation. Or you win and the family can't decide on where to go because Aunt Shelly wants to go on an Alaskan cruise and your sister Deborah wants the Caribbean and both refuse to budge

That's why when I go, I'm going with my robot family that I can deactivate afterwards and reap all the benefits for myself!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

G-Hawk posted:

per Houston chronicle, the Rockets intend to bring over Zhou Qi.

7'2 21 year old in China that they drafted in 2016. I don't know much about him. Looking around online looks like hes got a decent outside shot. Skinny as gently caress, probably needs to put on about 50lbs to not get pushed around in the paint.

"21".

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/880853470999330816

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's definitely important. I know this is just some dumbass RealGM article and they didn't really get into their methodology for "projected" cap space, but going by this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245546/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-50

There's about 226 million in projected cap room vs. almost 460 million in negative cap room out there. Put another way the league is at a 232 million cap deficit overall. I know there's way more wrinkles to this, and who the gently caress knows what that guy means by projected (is that resigning every cap hold, just some of them? what about trade exceptions etc). Either way, it doesn't really paint a pretty picture of the cap space in aggregate. If I was less lazy I'd try to come up with my own projected cap numbers so I could play around with it, but meh.

Aggregate cap space is also a bit of a zero sum game too, because most dudes you renounce or cut are just going right back into the pool of players looking for a slice of that pie. It's also not distributed perfectly so it really cuts down on the number of possible permutations in handing it all out.

If I was an even less lazy man I'd try to project the amount of salary there is to be handed out this year, but I suspect that it's a decent bit more than the amount of cap room out there. Lots of teams are probably going to go over or further over the cap and just re-sign players. Which probably means things are going to get worse before they get better in terms of how valuable cap space is.

Finally I'm extremely dumb and prone to making really stupid mistakes in these types of things so I could be extremely wrong about everything.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Nick bro I'm simultaneously hype and shook about now rooting for the Rockets. I dunno how to handle this.

GSW lineups are like +60 with Iggy and -21 without him.

He's essential to the killer line ups. Don't know who you replace him with when you're playing small.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

GSW lineups are like +60 with Iggy and -21 without him.

He's essential to the killer line ups. Don't know who you replace him with when you're playing small.

Either Pat McCaw improves or Vince Carter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/880630306608435201

pffff

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

~liberalism~

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s&t=49s

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

WhyteRyce posted:

The first person gets 160 points with all the #1 answers and the second person says all the same answers but gets flustered at the buzzer and says "car" for favorite place to go on a date and ends up getting like 14 points total

e: Basically that Always Sunny episode where they go on the show

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Did any teams decline visiting the Bush White House over Iraq?

• Locked thread