Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
One good thing about the hybrids is they use all the stock hardware, tubing, etc. pretty easy to install.

Edit. I probably would of gone with the mountune kit if it was available at the time. It took almost 2 months to get my x37 shipped. And the whole process of sending in the core was a pain in the rear end

Kiger_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm going to be very interested in your thoughts on that Mountune kit. It's high on my list whenever I decide to go full crazy in another year or so just because as indestructible (within reason) as our motors seem to be it's nice to have the added assurance of knowing that the same people who made the factory-approved tune are working on this line.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Michelin PSS is life. Holy gently caress these things feel fantastic.

Why did you go with the PSS instead of the new Pilot Sport 4S? I have the Sport Cup 2's on my RS, and holy gently caress they are amazing but with a treadwear rating of 180 I'll be lucky to get 2 summers out of them, and have been considering the new PS4S as their replacement.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

wolrah posted:

I'm going to be very interested in your thoughts on that Mountune kit. It's high on my list whenever I decide to go full crazy in another year or so just because as indestructible (within reason) as our motors seem to be it's nice to have the added assurance of knowing that the same people who made the factory-approved tune are working on this line.

Randy has as good of a rep in ecoboost tuning as anyone too. My biggest issue with Mountune parts has been cost, but this kit is a screaming good deal. A bolt on garret frame with custom wheel, vband conversion, and a pro tune for 1800 bucks!?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

The more I read up on it, the more I'm tempted to get a test drive in the 2017 the lot has. Their Internet price is right about the TrueCar average and a friend of mine is interested in my Si so I can get a better price than trade-in.

If I didn't have a GTI already I would get a '17. The 2018 trim level changes, along with the new ugly wheels are not appealing to me at all. Dealers here in FL are still selling at $4-5k off sticker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

As expected, the digital cockpit only goes to the Golf R. Glad I didn't wait. The 8 inch touchsceeen would be pretty cool. Wonder if it's swappable.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

As expected, the digital cockpit only goes to the Golf R. Glad I didn't wait. The 8 inch touchsceeen would be pretty cool. Wonder if it's swappable.

I'm sure it is, but it will be $$$. I was on the fence too, but once I read the trim level changes and saw pics of the Euro 7.5 my mind was set. If I hadn't found a '16 S DSG with LP & PP I would have bought a '17 Sport. Too bad the US GTI didn't get the LCD dash, & more power.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

BraveUlysses posted:

Any GTI owners with a DSG? Any regrets that you didn't get a manual?

I didnt mind the DSG in my wife's former TDI sportwagen but that was a boring engine and not driven hard.

edit: goddamnit i wish they offered the adaptive cruise control as standard on gti instead of an option on SE and std on Autobahn

Go DSG. Manual is fun, but DSG is theoretically faster at shifting, ignores the pain in the rear end during traffic, avoids the problem of clutch slippage if you tune, and is just all-around an amazing piece of engineering. I have hated every automatic transmission I've ever used or seen until I used this. If you can get yourself a TCU tune on it, even better. I don't regret the choice one bit, but I also live near DC so traffic played a definite part in my choice.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

If I didn't have a GTI already I would get a '17. The 2018 trim level changes, along with the new ugly wheels are not appealing to me at all. Dealers here in FL are still selling at $4-5k off sticker.

I've got a test drive scheduled for Friday. Dealer has 3 SE's (red/DSG, blue/manual, white/DSG) and 1 Sport (white/DSG) on the lot all are about $4K under MSRP.

I really like the looks of the car in white, so will likely end up with the white SE if I go with the DSG. My last two cars have been blue and my wife's car is blue so it's time to change it up a bit.

Next month it'll be 30 years since I first got my license and I've never owned an automatic as a daily driver in all that time.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

I've got a test drive scheduled for Friday. Dealer has 3 SE's (red/DSG, blue/manual, white/DSG) and 1 Sport (white/DSG) on the lot all are about $4K under MSRP.

I really like the looks of the car in white, so will likely end up with the white SE if I go with the DSG. My last two cars have been blue and my wife's car is blue so it's time to change it up a bit.

Next month it'll be 30 years since I first got my license and I've never owned an automatic as a daily driver in all that time.

The white is a nice color. You should be able to get a SE DSG for between $28-29k. If you get bored of the DSG, you can always put it in sport mode and use the paddles. I doubt you will though, the DSG is that good. The steering wheel is thick and beefy and you will be smiling when the turbo kicks in. You won't miss a shift lever I bet.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WescottF1 posted:

I'm coming up on 20 years and I've never owned an automatic at all. I thought I'd be able to deal with an auto as my DD, and that might be true on a fun to drive car, but the rentals I've had lately have really made me second guess that.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I drive a manual GTI in Houston traffic and it's not that bad. I test drove a DSG and I felt its behavior was a little weird when reversing and going slow around a parking lot. That's personal taste though. I just felt more comfortable with the manual.

Basically, the DSG tech is really good and you should drive both and just pick the one you like more.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Radiohead71 posted:

The white is a nice color. You should be able to get a SE DSG for between $28-29k. If you get bored of the DSG, you can always put it in sport mode and use the paddles. I doubt you will though, the DSG is that good. The steering wheel is thick and beefy and you will be smiling when the turbo kicks in. You won't miss a shift lever I bet.

If anyone goes white on the SE or higher, get the roof wrapped black. Otherwise you get the weird look of half the roof being black and the other white.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I test drove both dsg and manual GTI last year and manual is just more fun. Also I drive a manual in traffic every day and once I learned how to do it stopped even being a conscious thing I even think about. I went to LA and borrowed my father in law's car for a day, drove in LA traffic in it (an auto Jaguar XF) and while the seats were more comfortable the auto did nothing to make traffic any better than a manual, and once the traffic cleared the lack of a clutch pedal and gear shifter really stuck out.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

It'll be different driving something with low-end torque. With my current Si, the party doesn't start until 5600 RPM.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

It'll be different driving something with low-end torque. With my current Si, the party doesn't start until 5600 RPM.

Peak torque in GTI is something like 1500 rpm. 258 lb ft. Honestly, the car hauls rear end if you want it to. If not it is perfectly docile. Make sure your SE has the lighting package. Almost all do, but I've seen a few instances of the SE coming without the LP and that is not right. The LP makes a huge difference.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Huge_Midget posted:

Why did you go with the PSS instead of the new Pilot Sport 4S? I have the Sport Cup 2's on my RS, and holy gently caress they are amazing but with a treadwear rating of 180 I'll be lucky to get 2 summers out of them, and have been considering the new PS4S as their replacement.

Needed tires, Costco had a deal on Michelins and they didn't have PS4S. The Pilot Super Sports are more than adequate, lol.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

Peak torque in GTI is something like 1500 rpm. 258 lb ft. Honestly, the car hauls rear end if you want it to. If not it is perfectly docile. Make sure your SE has the lighting package. Almost all do, but I've seen a few instances of the SE coming without the LP and that is not right. The LP makes a huge difference.

It does. I snapped a pic of the window sticker when I looked at it last weekend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Needed tires, Costco had a deal on Michelins and they didn't have PS4S. The Pilot Super Sports are more than adequate, lol.

Those fucks didn't have any in the stock size for my GTI when the Michelin deal was active this last time around. Now they do since it's back to Bridgestone. It rotates every month and a half or so.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I did a pretty.

Also, removed clutch spring assist and the clutch delay valve. Feels more like a sports car now.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

mrtrunks84 posted:

I did a pretty.

Also, removed clutch spring assist and the clutch delay valve. Feels more like a sports car now.

How are you liking it? Trying to decide between one of those or a Raceseng.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop

Etrips posted:

I really do like it. It drops the shifter down by about an inch but it can be adjusted by just securing it higher up. They also feel really well made. For the money I feel like it was worth it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Etrips posted:

I have a Raceseng Slammology and it loving owns. before that I had a duracon Nismo knob that was just too light and made the short shifter feel super gritty and notchy with heaps of gearbox noise.

the heft of the slammology makes shifting quick and silent and is a much nicer shape. I plan to keep the knob when I sell the car and put it on whatever manual car I buy in the future.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Honda dealer regrets not charging markup on a Type R, will "hold the car as a showroom demo" for 90 days instead of letting the person with the deposit have it. Classy move.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have a 2016 GTI S Sport in blue.

I wish I had not bought it. It's too small for me and I want something faster.

Now to pay for several years so I can stop being upside down...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tijag posted:

I have a 2016 GTI S Sport in blue.

Now to pay for several years so I can stop being upside down...

Downpipe and tune.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How is it that "economy" manufacturers like Honda and Ford feel they have to squeeze every last red cent out of any good car they accidentally stumble into making, yet Mercedes Benz will happily treat any AMG as a normal-rear end car and negotiate on it the same as they would any other? If you have more demand for really good cars, that can justify charging a premium, just build more of them! There must be something I'm missing...

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Downpipe and tune.

That won't turn it into a bigger car, and with FWD i'm not sure 300 HP is really all that useful. Seems like it's just tire smoke.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

How is it that "economy" manufacturers like Honda and Ford feel they have to squeeze every last red cent out of any good car they accidentally stumble into making, yet Mercedes Benz will happily treat any AMG as a normal-rear end car and negotiate on it the same as they would any other? If you have more demand for really good cars, that can justify charging a premium, just build more of them! There must be something I'm missing...

Because Mercedes cares about their customers' dealership experience and will absolutely do something if their customers complain about it.

Dealerships have different incentives than manufacturers so if the manufacturer doesn't reign that poo poo in, it will get abused.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 30, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

What makes it too small for you? Family of 4 or something?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fknlo posted:

What makes it too small for you? Family of 4 or something?

No, I just don't feel comfortable in it. 6'2" / 230. and just generally I'm too wide for the seats. My shoulders don't fit comfortably. It's first world problems.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tijag posted:

No, I just don't feel comfortable in it. 6'2" / 230. and just generally I'm too wide for the seats. My shoulders don't fit comfortably. It's first world problems.

I'm 6'3" / 235 and I feel the same way about the seats in my RS. Literally everything else about the car makes up for it though.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm 6'3" / 235 and I feel the same way about the seats in my RS. Literally everything else about the car makes up for it though.

I should have just got a V8 Mustang or Camaro [probably the Camaro because the visibility issues aren't that big of a deal for me].

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, but those cars are boring. Everyone and their mother has a V8 Mustang or Camaro.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but those cars are boring. Everyone and their mother has a V8 Mustang or Camaro.

I'm driving a Golf...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

Ah, that will do it. I'm 5'7" and 175ish so I can fit in pretty much anything comfortably.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

tijag posted:

I'm driving a Golf...

But at least it can go around corners :v: (I kid I kid). You may want to look at the tune options in all seriousness if you're not in a position to trade for a few years. A buddy of mine was a die hard gti fan with a tune and he was 6'6" and around 220. Just a couple hundo and you can go down the fwd rabbit hole...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Michelin PSS is life. Holy gently caress these things feel fantastic.

Best tires on the planet. I'm at the point where I won't buy another fast car unless it can support an existing size of PSS. They're so good.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

4S is just rolling out now, slowly, and availability started with some really big fitments.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Best tires on the planet. I'm at the point where I won't buy another fast car unless it can support an existing size of PSS. They're so good.

4S is just rolling out now, slowly, and availability started with some really big fitments.

I've never had tires this good. I noticed right away that when I start to turn the wheel, even at low speed, it ... grabs? It feels effortless. I've never felt that sort of turn-in feel.

edit: feel feel feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If you ever autocross or just don't give a poo poo about money try a set of the Sport Cup 2's. I'm pretty sure the tire compound is pure black magic, because they allow my RS to take 90 degree corners at loving :lol: speeds.