Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

TenementFunster posted:

somebody else tell me they've heard d.va's cruiser voiceline "i'm own provider" in response to idiot widowmaker saying this is no place for children because i'm losing my mind

I heard it once and had the same reaction lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Overwatch newb here, day two. I am finding myself enjoying Winston the most right now. My aim isn't the best, so the forgiving nature of his gun works well for me. Finally have figured out leaping a little better. It is fun hunting down snipers and such, because gently caress snipers. Also gently caress the enemy healers. Except Lucio, I guess. I can't seem to kill him.

I haven't figured out how to use winston's ultimate super effectively yet. It seems to heal me, which is nice, but I always seem to end up with a sleep dart in my rear end.

Played a soldier a bit more, but I am only having moderate success with him. I really like his kit, but I feel like my aim isn't good enough. Not really sure what character best suits my aim. I was always pretty good with projectiles in TF2, and could occasionally land airshots. Played a lot of soldier and demo. I wasn't so great with hitscan though. Scout and sniper were tough for me. Overwatch seems to have a lot of weapons that really do require precise aim.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 30, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's pretty typical. He can jostle you out of the way and then run away faster than you can, and he can put out a lot of self healing in the time it takes a winston to jolt him down.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I heard it once and had the same reaction lol
THANK gently caress. i had "who are you calling a child" all ready to go in team chat and i was SHOOK

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Overwatch newb here, day two. I am finding myself enjoying Winston the most right now. My aim isn't the best, so the forgiving nature of his gun works well for me. Finally have figured out leaping a little better. It is fun hunting down snipers and such, because gently caress snipers. Also gently caress the enemy healers. Except Lucio, I guess. I can't seem to kill him.

I haven't figured out how to use winston's ultimate super effectively yet. It seems to heal me, which is nice, but I always seem to end up with a sleep dart in my rear end.

Played a soldier a bit more, but I am only having moderate success with him. I really like his kit, but I feel like my aim isn't good enough. Not really sure what character best suits my aim. I was always pretty good with projectiles in TF2, and could occasionally land airshots. Played a lot of soldier and demo. I wasn't so great with hitscan though. Scout and sniper were tough for me. Overwatch seems to have a lot of weapons that really do require precise aim.

If you're better at predictive aiming than hitscan you might have some luck with Pharah or maybe even Zenyatta.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

If you're better at predictive aiming than hitscan you might have some luck with Pharah or maybe even Zenyatta.

It's pretty much this for me. Also Junkrat and Orisa for similar reasons. I'm much better at predictive over tracking.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
This would also be a good place to say that watching other people who are great at overwatch can give you really cool tips, but watching people who throw out daily vids is brain rotting.
As cool a guy as Stylosa is, he makes a video every day about anything posted by a dev or seen in an esports match then tries to turn it into a lesson of some kind on how you should now play overwatch to compensate. Most of the things taught in those kind of channels is contractory. If a hero pick rate drops by half a percent in matches played by joyless korean people having seizures with hitscan at the esports level that does not mean that they are a bullshit hero at the fun level.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I watch Blinky's videos because he's a goon and that's sufficient Overwatch "tip" videos for anyone.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think the characters I first became attached to were Junkrat, Lucio, Reinhardt, and Roadhog.

Now I've kind of shifted a lot of my play time to Zenyatta, Torb on defense, and D.Va

Give D.Va a whirl as a tank option. The defense matrix (complete damage nullification in front of you for 4 seconds) and Boosters are both really useful and easy to use. The D.Va bomb ultimate is really fun to use to rack up huge kills against less experienced players once you figure out how to "throw" it at the other team with the boosters.

I'm quite terrible at aiming too but I find that I'm usually able to do really well at racking up eliminations with D.Va. People just panic when you land next to them at lower levels and try to flee, it's easy to knock em down by chasing them with the boosters and shooting them in the back.

**D.va is also excellent for chasing down snipers and supports. Because as you mentioned gently caress snipers :)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pinning a sniper into a corner with Dva and then grinding them into hamburger is one of Overwatch's ultimate pleasures.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Splinter posted:

That's cute

The composition of the other team, as it crushes yours, also counts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

one small genius of OW is that they made most of their heavy characters not feel too slow. Winston's leap, Rein's Dash, Dva's boosters all mean they're not glacial to play like TF2's heavy was. Roadhog's hook also closes distance, in a way.

It's just much more satisfying and I'm more likely to switch to a slower character if it doesn't feel like half of my playtime with them is walking slowly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well there's also the fact that, discounting abilities, everyone but genji and tracer walk at the same speed. reinhardt and winston aren't slower than anyone else regardless of their relative size

tho I still wish the base movement speed was a bit faster

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Illuminado posted:

In terms of the aesthetic or the mechanic (or both :confused: )

When I first logged in I thought something was wrong with my client not displaying them because I didn't read patch notes.

I guess it was a nice Pavlovian loop for me that I miss: "you killed their Marcy good, here's a cookie" even though the new mechanic is probably overall better, especially when I gotta go shotgunning tanks. Also if someone else nabbed the kill I could swoop in and gobble my food pellet for a quick boost if I was skulking around at like 4 health.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

Not really sure what character best suits my aim. I was always pretty good with projectiles in TF2, and could occasionally land airshots.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My girlfriend's husband is a Hanzo main.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When are they reverting the Hog nerf

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never. Next change will be that after you hit someone with hook, you gotta reel them in with a fishing mechanic ripped right from Sega bass fishing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The hookie should get a QTE to wiggle free.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've only recently started playing Winston, and I suck at him. I keep getting the leap caught on a tiny piece of floor geometry and I go like 2 feet in front of me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fine but if I reel you in we get treated to a gratuitous violence shot of hog ripping said character in half, regaining all his health and a big chunk of ult charge.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've only recently started playing Winston, and I suck at him. I keep getting the leap caught on a tiny piece of floor geometry and I go like 2 feet in front of me.

I play pharah, but I imagine it crosses over. There's always a loving moving platform above you to slam your head into

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

wit posted:

This would also be a good place to say that watching other people who are great at overwatch can give you really cool tips, but watching people who throw out daily vids is brain rotting.
As cool a guy as Stylosa is, he makes a video every day about anything posted by a dev or seen in an esports match then tries to turn it into a lesson of some kind on how you should now play overwatch to compensate. Most of the things taught in those kind of channels is contractory. If a hero pick rate drops by half a percent in matches played by joyless korean people having seizures with hitscan at the esports level that does not mean that they are a bullshit hero at the fun level.

It also depends on how you learn. Stylosa and One Amongst Many coaching videos (and others similarly) really helped a friend of mine get much better. But for me, while I find them interesting and entertaining, I'm a visual learner, when I watch those videos I'm still watching not great gameplay (with diagrams about what SHOULD be happening). However watching pros/top 500 players (insert whomever you like and plays similar heroes that you like to play) is insanely beneficial to someone who is a visual learner because I'm not being TOLD what should be happening in a situation, but rather actually seeing it happen.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jeff n' Geoff don't revert changes cause they don't make mistakes!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think it was a mistake, there's more variety in picks since the nerf and that makes the game way more fun IMO.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
As a silver player I'd rather post angrily about "the tournament meta".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I just log in and play without paying much attention to other stuff so I just thought I was getting matched against real bad hogs who had trouble tracking the kill shot after they hooked me. :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven't had a chance to sit down and do my arcade boxes until now this week and I just found out they took out 1v1 lockout. :(

I really hope that gets put back in. I miss being able to sit down and finish all my arcade wins in an hour and a half like I've been doing the past few weeks. 3v3 is okay but I liked the simplicity of lockout 1v1.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

When I play symetra I use the dias de los meurtos skull spray and put two turrets on it as eyes

i have her dracula skin so they are bloodshot

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
3v3 lockout is easy

first round pick winston and kill their sniper then their healer and hope your dps can kill their tank

second round pick dva and kill their sniper then their healer and then help your dps kill their tank

third round pharmercy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I love it when some flanker tries to kill me when I'm playing Mercy and I just shoot them in the head. especially when some idiot reaper sees me backed off from my team a little and teleports in to try and kill me as though i'd never think of using my gun

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Slime posted:

I love it when some flanker tries to kill me when I'm playing Mercy and I just shoot them in the head. especially when some idiot reaper sees me backed off from my team a little and teleports in to try and kill me as though i'd never think of using my gun

If you don't have "How is your pain on a scale from one to ten?" in your voice emotes for just this you are not playing right.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

3v3 lockout is easy

first round pick winston and kill their sniper then their healer and hope your dps can kill their tank

second round pick dva and kill their sniper then their healer and then help your dps kill their tank

third round pharmercy

I didn't say 3v3 was bad or even hard, I'm just saying I personally enjoyed 1v1 more. I'd still rather play that than any other mode if I'm going for boxes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

well why not posted:

I don't think it was a mistake, there's more variety in picks since the nerf and that makes the game way more fun IMO.

How exactly has there been more variety in light of Roadhog getting dumpstered? If you're talking about quickplay people have always played whatever they wanted which is why there's a Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Junkrat on every team. If you're talking about comp things have solidified around fairly cookie cutter dive comps more so than when Hog was a good counter to several dive cornerstones.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Wrist Watch posted:

I didn't say 3v3 was bad or even hard, I'm just saying I personally enjoyed 1v1 more. I'd still rather play that than any other mode if I'm going for boxes.

Same, I was awful at 1v1 dueling, but it was improving so much more of just my skill in general.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ana bots are insanely good for warming up/practicing. Like how much better I was doing the next game blew me away.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

No Wave posted:

Ana bots are insanely good for warming up/practicing. Like how much better I was doing the next game blew me away.

This is how I learned to practice. Headshots only, a swarm of ana bots. It teaches you both headshot aiming and how to focus on a specific target with lots of distractions, those distractions being a bunch of clones.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

With custom settings you don't need to restrict it to Ana, just reduce your targets' damage to 10%. I've been practicing against six Lucio-bots with soundwave/amp/ult disabled and 10% damage. Need to be able to hit pretty zippy targets and need to be able to confirm kills as well before they heal up again. And the steady chip damage puts the pressure on too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I made an aim training custom the other day and the settings look like this:
MODES (enable only Skirmish)
+ ALL
----- Game mode start: IMMEDIATELY (so you don't have to manually switch it on or set a number of players, though this is skirmish anyway- this is just a good setting to know for custom games in general)
----- Hero limit: OFF (in case you are inviting friends and they want to practice the same character)
----- Respawn time scalar: 150% (you can increase this or decrease it depending on how much you like getting swarmed by 6 dudes at once)
MAPS
+ SKIRMISH
----- Oasis (may switch this to another koth as the bots keep running into cars)
HEROES
+ TEAM 1 / GENERAL
----- Ability cooldown time: 0%
----- No ammunition requirement: ON
----- Damage received: 10%
----- Health: 500%
----- Receive headshots only: ON
----- Ultimate generation: 500%
+ TEAM 2 / GENERAL
----- Damage dealt: 10%
----- Ultimate ability: OFF
----- Receive headshots only: ON (I actually leave this off most of the time and just aim for "dings" but you can do whatever you want)
+ TEAM 2 / MEI
----- Cryo-freeze: OFF
----- Ice wall: OFF
+ TEAM 2 / REAPER
----- Wraith form: OFF
+ TEAM 2 / ROADHOG
----- Chain hook: OFF
+ TEAM 2 / SOMBRA
----- Hack: OFF
----- Stealth: OFF

After you load the preset, fill Team 2 with "recommended" hard AI bots, remove any tanks for things like Lucio or any other character you want to practice on, and you're good to go.

e: Aside from letting you practice on actual character hitboxes, this is generally more interesting than the practice range since the bots don't follow the same path every time.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

have they ever reverted a nerf? I don't think they have

they might change some stuff about hog to help facilitate his current setup but I don't see them taking the nerf back