Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rogan is lucky he sometimes has good guests on because man is he dumb. it's weird that a dude so into drugs would sometimes come down so hard right on some poo poo (talking about cops with sam harris for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rogan is a good barometer of what your average dudebro thinks so he's useful for that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dreylad posted:

the reaction after he bullied crowder (and apologized for it) on air was for people to call rogan a pot junkie

He made Crowder feel bad?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sargon got shut down by Heavyweight Podcasting Champion Joe Rogan and from atop his mountain cottage Notch continues to spin gold into lead.

https://twitter.com/kat_blaque/status/880536442702675968

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pierson posted:

Sargon got shut down by Heavyweight Podcasting Champion Joe Rogan and from atop his mountain cottage Notch continues to spin gold into lead.

https://twitter.com/kat_blaque/status/880536442702675968

That's not fair, the rest of the dev team did way more work on it than that dork.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I think people go way to hard on the art/artist thing. Which I could understand if he was still involved in any way with it still, or did most of the work on it, but he isn't and didn't. Doesn't own the IP, isn't involved in development.

I'm sure you could apply some critical theory to the game itself, but it's no more problematic than (pre pink friends era) legos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose there is that nonsensical ending thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose there is that nonsensical ending thing.

Yea but let's be real, how many kids are seeing that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Can't wait to see Sargon's subsequent video including Rogan as a card carrying member of the regressive left.

Its up right now, havent watched it all yet, but its mostly about Vidcon. The Rogan stuff is at the end.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The guy who coined the term meant it to describe exactly that, the creation of a hierarchy of the 'merited' who run society, while everyone less fortunate eats poo poo, so that's fitting.

I think this is piece of evidence #56,780 that irony backfires more often than not. The kinds of people you want to convince are also the kinds of people who will latch on to the text, not the subtext. Lindsey Ellis' video on Mel Brooks and the Producers covers this pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 30, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

It's eternally frustrating how generally, the Left is given all the burden of proof and evidence for their claims, yet the Right will happily sling bullshit every-which-way and people will lap it up without a second thought or moment of criticism.

The Marketplace of Ideas™ at work.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Its up right now, havent watched it all yet, but its mostly about Vidcon. The Rogan stuff is at the end.

What did he say about Rogan?

edit: oh wait, you said you didn't see it. Dammit.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Rogan is dangerously ignorant. I remembering watching his second interview with TJ Kirk a few months ago. When TJ brought up the fact that Sessions was a horrible racist, Rogan said something along the lines of, "Actually, I heard he was a great advocate for civil rights." So wrong, so damaging. I bet he was willing to believe that because it contradicted what liberals were saying about him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Somebody said a little while back that Rogan is like Trump in that he basically agrees with the last person he spoke to. I think that's a pretty apt comparison.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Somebody said a little while back that Rogan is like Trump in that he basically agrees with the last person he spoke to. I think that's a pretty apt comparison.

Then again, Rogan at least has the self-reflection skills to call himself a meathead.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

"Sessions isn't a racist, he prosecuted Klan members in the 80s!" was a RWM talking point that was pushed around the time of his nomination. While Sessions did do that, he was basically pushed into it, and multiple staffers say he didn't really want to. I'm gonna assume Rogan heard that soundbite somewhere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrmZLkrGTg

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This dude is like an uncool person's idea of what a cool person dresses like.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel his persona is a living maddox 2002 article.

It'll be interesting to see where all this youtube garbage is at in five years time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mr Interweb posted:

this video sums it up best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKrf7mX_R6M

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It took me a little while to be sure that wasn't Contrapoints doing a character. Something about the voice and cringe-inducing demeanor.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
You guys are needlessly hating in these YouTubers, they are just showmen grasping at straws of originality hoping to make original YouTube content.
Seems petty to mock them for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe they should get real jobs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

You guys are needlessly hating in these YouTubers, they are just showmen grasping at straws of originality hoping to make original YouTube content.

So what's your channel called?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Monglo posted:

Nah it's cool to mock self-important people who have stupid opinions based on nothing more than edgy rationality, fake science or blatent mysogeny/racism because sometimes humour is more effective than anger at revealing these people for what they really are, and often shedding light on them causes them to shrivel up and die.

Also lots of them are snakes who are either willing to trade in their principles for cash or whose principles are so weak that a light insult will make them do a complete 180.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Monglo posted:

We're mocking them in part because they're so bad at that.

"I'm going to make some fresh original content. Hmm, has 'blacks are criminals and feminists are shrieking harpies' been done before?"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Monglo posted:

They're also pushing a curriculum of FASC 101: Introduction to white supremacy. A mocking is the least they deserve.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I quite like listening to Rogan when he's talking about martial arts and the like, I've listened to a bit of his other stuff and it has been mostly trash. This video is just perfect, the most obvious things blow his mind and he's just distracted so easily.

Guavanaut posted:

We're mocking them in part because they're so bad at that.

"I'm going to make some fresh original content. Hmm, has 'blacks are criminals and feminists are shrieking harpies' been done before?"

Also "Somebody said what about something? Well better make a 15 minute video where I ramble incoherently."

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

He's like a slightly evolved version of Karl Pilkington.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lindsay Ellis has a new video in her Michael Bay/Transformers series, talking about feminist critiques of Transformers. This is just part 1, so it's basically five and a half minutes of "this is what feminist critique actually is" and five and a half minutes of "why are these theoretically-genderless alien robots all dudes?" Nothing terribly ground-breaking, but the first half could serve as a fairly decent intro to the idea of feminist critique divorced from some of the shittier aspects of the clickbait/hot-take versions that are too common now-a-days.

It's currently Patrons-only, but I expect it should be open to the public by the end of the day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_YEe7jLVc

I appreciate Shaun not telling us to go watch BPS' video first. No one ever subject themselves to that. I have a particular hatred for BPS compared to the average shitlord and I'm glad to see Shaun tearing him apart.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Carecat posted:

He's like a slightly evolved version of Karl Pilkington.

oh man how have i never realised this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm honestly jelly of people like sargon and naked ape cuz they're making money off knowing nothing and being wrong constantly. shaun and jen make good videos that are researched and correct and they get way less views.

i don't think naked ape could ever be right on accident.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
on accident???

americans pfff really.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody who says "maths" can judge me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
maths is an abbreviation of mathematics, which as you will note, has an 's' on the end.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody who says "maths" can judge me.

Don't try to cheat me, I've studied maths

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_YEe7jLVc

I appreciate Shaun not telling us to go watch BPS' video first. No one ever subject themselves to that. I have a particular hatred for BPS compared to the average shitlord and I'm glad to see Shaun tearing him apart.

I listened to this on the drive to work this morning. It's hilarious how much he (pigeon guy) butchers his interpretation of that first study. I think that what people like him do is just google "recent studies showing immigration is bad*" and reference whatever pops up first.

*Admittedly, googling this sort of thing isn't always necessarily bad as long as you still read the results critically and also search for studies representing the opposing view (to see how credible and common they are)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 30, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

maths is an abbreviation of mathematics, which as you will note, has an 's' on the end.

Right. And you cut off the end of the word to abbreviate it. Hence no s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Right. And you cut off the end of the word to abbreviate it. Hence no s.

OK smarty pant.

• Locked thread