Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Just got the game on Steam. gently caress yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I know this game is choc-a-bloc with bugs, but has anybody else had trouble setting a trap right in front of a door? Is that just a thing that's always been fucky and I didn't know because I never set traps as a counselor? Whenever I try to set a trap inside a cabin in front of the door I always drop it at chest height and then can't set it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i stopped bothering with traps a while back because every time i moved them they dropped to hover in midair and i wasn't able to set the actual trap

it was funny the first dozen times it happened and frequently gets a comment from jason, which is cool, but eventually you just start wondering why you're bothering touching the loving thing in the first place.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

King Vidiot posted:

I know this game is choc-a-bloc with bugs, but has anybody else had trouble setting a trap right in front of a door? Is that just a thing that's always been fucky and I didn't know because I never set traps as a counselor? Whenever I try to set a trap inside a cabin in front of the door I always drop it at chest height and then can't set it.

I always end up undoing the bar on the door instead

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

King Vidiot posted:

It happens to me 100% of the time. Sometimes you can even set it in the air.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I use to trap doors, but now I'm one of the assholes who plows through as many cabins as fast as possible and leave the door wide open.

I need the door against mid-game Jason, not before he even has shift. What I DO need to do right out of the gate is to loot as much as I can as fast as I can.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

King Vidiot posted:

I once set a trap that spawned a couple feet behind me and snagged a counselor. They don't seem worth it at all unless you group them for a last stand.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skunkrocker posted:

Just got the game on Steam. gently caress yea.

Join the goon group and friend us all! Then join the discord and make sure your Steam and Discord name match at least somewhat.

I can't tell you how many spergs shout "I'll join! Pick me!" when we setup a PM and their Steam name is something completely different than in discord and I'm suppose to figure that out somehow.

I'm glad we're still growing - we've been running 2 groups as of late.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i feel really bad that i always seem to be doing something when you toss me an invite tinfoil

the handful of times i've played with goons it's always been a blast but you cats always seem to be playing when i'm either working or just after i've been invited to start a game of EDF or something, whereas i tend to start playing at like midnight when reasonable people have gone to bed or at least stopped playing horror games

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got to play Jason two times last night, by the by.

My general philosophy as Jason is to be friendly and accommodating. Some one asks for some help, I'll give them a hand. I meet some one, I cut them a deal.

I try to just make things fun for everyone. Unfortunately, Terry keeps getting killed in my games, and not even when I want him to. I'm pretty much going to have to put a No Killing Terry rule in my games. It was really kind of unfortunate in the last one because I really didn't want to play Jason a second time that night, I was tired and not a great mood due to some nonsense unrelated to the game.

Tommy got out in the boat which was fine, just a little annoying since I had teleported perfectly, the boat just knocked me to the side for some weird reason. He did that while they were prepped for a killing too, which was doubly annoying because those are fun to derail. So we ran around stuff, I told Tinfoil to kill the person in the sweater- because earlier I had found some one and told them to get the sweater, and then told them where to get it. Then shortly there after I heard that go off and thought, okay, cool. That person was not Terry.

Terry was, however, the person with the sweater. I did not learn this until after the game ended.

So I slaughtered everyone else still there except for Tinfoil, and half heartedly chased him around the map until the police came and let him go.

So that was a big whoops all the way around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Scalding Coffee posted:

They don't seem worth it at all unless you group them for a last stand.

That gave me the great idea of setting a radius of traps around yourself with your back to a window and just waiting for Jason to come, and I guess hope that he doesn't have knives... or doesn't just break down the door and go into the cabin.

On second thought maybe that idea wasn't so great.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Scalding Coffee posted:

I once set a trap that spawned a couple feet behind me and snagged a counselor. They don't seem worth it at all unless you group them for a last stand.

Traps are for long-term planning. You set them early in case you need to double-back and use a cabin for quick getaway.

Setting them as Jason is chasing you is largely useless because any Jason worth anything will hear the trap being set if he's right near you, and simply avoid it. Traps set earlier in the match have a higher chance to catch Jason unawares.

If I find a trap in a cabin early game, I almost always set it unless I'm in a big hurry to get something done. It may not help *me* specifically, but it might save another counselor later on.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I turned my preference to counselor last night. When I'm with friends it's much more enjoyable than Jason.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

Traps are for long-term planning. You set them early in case you need to double-back and use a cabin for quick getaway.

Setting them as Jason is chasing you is largely useless because any Jason worth anything will hear the trap being set if he's right near you, and simply avoid it. Traps set earlier in the match have a higher chance to catch Jason unawares.

If I find a trap in a cabin early game, I almost always set it unless I'm in a big hurry to get something done. It may not help *me* specifically, but it might save another counselor later on.

Counterpoint: loot everything as fast as possible at the start because that's when Jason is weakest. You don't have to return to a cabin if everything is looted and you've escaped in the car.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm with tinfoil on the 'setting-traps-early' ethos. the early game is for ransacking as many cabins as humanly possible while jason is still slow, weak, and lacking shift. the 10 seconds it takes me to pick up, drop, and set a trap are 10 seconds i could have been scanning cabins for batteries and jerrycans or checking drawers for keys and pocketknives.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Another Goon Game Tale from last night:

We played a variation where Tinfoil was Jason. We all meet up at the lodge at Higgens and Tinfoil gave us a simple rule for the game: The first counselor to call the cops would be allowed to escape. Everyone else dies.

So Tinfoil goes to hang out by the phone so he can make sure to witness who calls.

Everyone scatters to try and find the fuse. I'm the only one that runs to the western side at first, and lo and behold, I find the fuse within 2 minutes of us scattering. It also happens that the phone box is over there as well, so I head over to start repairing.

But then Lastdancer shows up on my radar, and since I'm Tiffany, my repair work is going pretty slow. So I stop before Lastdancer can see I'm repairing the phone because I know where this is going: We're all going to murder each other to make sure we're the one to make the phone call.

So I resume "searching" for the fuse like everyone else and eventually end up on the eastern side of the map while, as I expected, everyone starts killing each other to make sure they don't make the call first.

Everyone keeps asking me what I'm doing over on that side of the map and I just say I'm "making sure no one missed the fuse". Tinfoil morphs over at one point to ask what I'm doing, and I tell him I'm looking for a bladed weapon because I know what's going on over there. It eventually becomes pretty obvious what I'm actually doing, and by the time I head back over with a machete in hand its down to me and one other counselor (I can't remember who it was off the top of my head). Well, they were already injured pretty badly so it was a simple matter to kill them, repair the phone, and call the cops.

Victory: ComposerGuy

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 30, 2017

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Join the goon group and friend us all! Then join the discord and make sure your Steam and Discord name match at least somewhat.

I can't tell you how many spergs shout "I'll join! Pick me!" when we setup a PM and their Steam name is something completely different than in discord and I'm suppose to figure that out somehow.

I'm glad we're still growing - we've been running 2 groups as of late.

Done and done. I can't wait to learn how to camp like a goone.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, with all the talk and videos of people wanting to kill Jason. What if Jason knows they are going for the kill and he stays in his hut and the female counselor (unknowingly) comes to him? I assume she starts to get the music cues since he would technically be getting closer to her (by not moving) and she gets tipped off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hockles posted:

So, with all the talk and videos of people wanting to kill Jason. What if Jason knows they are going for the kill and he stays in his hut and the female counselor (unknowingly) comes to him? I assume she starts to get the music cues since he would technically be getting closer to her (by not moving) and she gets tipped off.

correct. I've also stumbled upon Jasons setting up gimmicks that haven't left their huts yet (cough lastdancer and burk cough), surprising us both.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

Another Goon Game Tale from last night:

We played a variation where Tinfoil was Jason. We all meet up at the lodge at Higgens and Tinfoil gave us a simple rule for the game: The first counselor to call the cops would be allowed to escape. Everyone else dies.

So Tinfoil goes to hang out by the phone so he can make sure to witness who calls.

Everyone scatters to try and find the fuse. I'm the only one that runs to the western side at first, and lo and behold, I find the fuse within 2 minutes of us scattering. It also happens that the phone box is over there as well, so I head over to start repairing.

But then Lastdancer shows up on my radar, and since I'm Tiffany, my repair work is going pretty slow. So I stop before Lastdancer can see I'm repairing the phone because I know where this is going: We're all going to murder each other to make sure we're the one to make the phone call.

So I resume "searching" for the fuse like everyone else and eventually end up on the eastern side of the map while, as I expected, everyone starts killing each other to make sure they don't make the call first.

Everyone keeps asking me what I'm doing over on that side of the map and I just say I'm "making sure no one missed the fuse". Tinfoil morphs over at one point to ask what I'm doing, and I tell him I'm looking for a bladed weapon because I know what's going on over there. It eventually becomes pretty obvious what I'm actually doing, and by the time I head back over with a machete in hand its down to me and one other counselor (I can't remember who it was off the top of my head). Well, they were already injured pretty badly so it was a simple matter to kill them, repair the phone, and call the cops.

Victory: ComposerGuy

Yeah Lastdancer is a very gullible and trusting person; I never suspected you had the fuse and fully believed you didn't until I died and saw you had it the whole time IN COMPLETE DISBELIEF

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if jason knows or suspects a kill attempt is underway he can and should drop 2 traps at the entrance to his shack. people generally don't expect them and they're unavoidable, so if you keep morph up you can get back to the shack while either

1) the woman is wounded and panicky from the setback, and attempting to run
2) the woman is wounded, but sticks with the plan and goes inside the shack, which means she absolutely must go through you in order to get away.

the second situation is typically guaranteed death for her.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

If jason suspects a kill attempt all he needs to do is use the block button.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Had a game the other day where I was the first counselor to die, but I managed to find the fuse AND fix the phone box. But I got killed right as I was on my way to the phone, and nobody was around to hear me call out the location(no walkie talkie).

You'd think one of these fuckers would look at the menu and see that the phone had been fixed, but there was zero effort to find the cabin and call the cops, and Jason ended up hunting them down one by one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wish map objectives came up when i hit tab. I hate that opening the map to look at objectives stops me dead in my tracks

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Every game so far tonight has involved multiple people stood on the roof of Packanac Lodge. How the gently caress is that even fun?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Every game so far tonight has involved multiple people stood on the roof of Packanac Lodge. How the gently caress is that even fun?

The fun comes from ruining the fun of others. It's a certain type of person, but a type that seems to be very well represented in the gaming community.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

imweasel09 posted:

If jason suspects a kill attempt all he needs to do is use the block button.

Or set a trap down, which breaks the animation.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skunkrocker posted:

Done and done. I can't wait to learn how to camp like a goone.

1) Always make deals with Burk
2) Hide in the outhouse as much as possible
3) Never trust Chad

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Can Jason morph to the roof a la the crows nest in part 8?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Or set a trap down, which breaks the animation.

Or kills Jarvis, which should be a priority anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

3) Never trust Chad

Thing about Chad is he's predictable. You can trust him to do exactly what he always does, gently caress you over.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Thing about Chad is he's predictable. You can trust him to do exactly what he always does, gently caress you over.

I saw a helpful Chad once. loving scrub rear end pubbie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I saw a helpful Chad once. loving scrub rear end pubbie.

I tried to Chad for a few games and I found that my inner Chad was very weak, so I quit. I'm just a helpful dude at heart I guess.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
My best trapping as a counselor story is a few nights ago after someone put the battery in the car I put a trap in front of the car for REASONS.

There were about 5 of us now with gas and ready to go when Jason showed up and we were circling around the car trying to stun him long enough to get the car started and someone got caught in my trap. Well, that trap was meant for Jason, so after they broke free I set the trap down again while Jason was behind the car. And someone else got trapped. I set it up 3 more times before someone asked "who the gently caress keeps trapping the front of the car".

It was for Jason!!!

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Skunkrocker posted:

Can Jason morph to the roof a la the crows nest in part 8?

The goon cheese meta would become Jason's hiding on the roof so they don't get killed

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Good point.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Had a match as Part 8 on Higgins where the 4 seater and phone box were right next to eachother and the boat was way up near the lodge. Those poor fuckers. I let the boat almost get away just to give them some hope.

Then someone later tried to swim for it and I just couldn't help myself. She almost made it back to shore after she saw me walk towards her.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I love it when I have counselor preference and then get put on Jason twice in the space of an hour. Just great. Hahaha. Ha. :suicide:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I finally got the fuse and knew which cabin to take it to.

There were two traps and eventually a Savini Jason to greet me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So right now the devs are streaming Friday 13th at https://www.twitch.tv/fridaythe13thgame if you wanna check that out.

• Locked thread