Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEwRZ0PziA

For gently caress's sake. Discourse between Boogie and Anita at Vidcon turns into a lynch mob, as usual, despite Boogie telling people to specifically not do that.

What is going in the comments oh my god. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People taking advantage of a man's anxiety and history of being victimized and using it to turn him into an unwilling sledgehammer against a person they dislike.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEwRZ0PziA

For gently caress's sake. Discourse between Boogie and Anita at Vidcon turns into a lynch mob, as usual, despite Boogie telling people to specifically not do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYimpQd95Sg

He made another one where he's kiiind of doubling down and trying to calm people down by making it very clear that he's completely in the center and doesn't take any sides.
Look at the difference in those likes.

as someone on disability for severe social anxiety my heart really goes out to him. I can't imagine getting that sort of pressure and exposure and handling it that well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

It's not exactly rocket science, though? The first one was promoted from a place of nostalgia, and made a ton of money. Another one comes out, because people liked the last one, which made it earn more money than God, so another one is made, people like it, makes a lot of money, so another is made, etc.

It's only finally winding down because there's a limit on anything, naturally.

"Mindless fun action films" is the best way to describe the franchise. It's a franchise you know you and your friends are gonna see and enjoy. poo poo, can you think of a better series of summer blockbusters that better identifies someone as a fun-hater for grumbling about them?

you didn't actually read my post did you bibs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYimpQd95Sg

He made another one where he's kiiind of doubling down and trying to calm people down by making it very clear that he's completely in the center and doesn't take any sides.
Look at the difference in those likes.

as someone on disability for severe social anxiety my heart really goes out to him. I can't imagine getting that sort of pressure and exposure and handling it that well.

I don't know why he does this sort of thing. There's no such thing as "being completely center". I can see having social anxiety informing that kind of stance, I get it. But there are certain things where taking "evidence-based logical side" just doesn't work and he's done it multiple times on subjects where it doesn't. Commit to something, or don't talk about it. Posturing is worthless.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jimbot posted:

I don't know why he does this sort of thing. There's no such thing as "being completely center". I can see having social anxiety informing that kind of stance, I get it. But there are certain things where taking "evidence-based logical side" just doesn't work and he's done it multiple times on subjects where it doesn't. Commit to something, or don't talk about it. Posturing is worthless.

I totally agree. and my anxiety has never stopped me from calling people out when they're being bigoted and offensive. But maybe I'm also doing better than him and don't have thousands of random people screaming at me when I do? :shrug:
But the idea that everything has an ethical middle ground is absurd. No matter what it's a total cop out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

I totally agree. and my anxiety has never stopped me from calling people out when they're being bigoted and offensive. But maybe I'm also doing better than him and don't have thousands of random people screaming at me when I do? :shrug:
But the idea that everything has an ethical middle ground is absurd. No matter what it's a total cop out.

I don't mean to sound insensitive either. Having that kind of attention beating down on you can be really stressful and can have adverse effects on your mental health. But if you're not in a position to talk about something controversial, then don't talk about it. You don't actually help people who suffer from bigots and are generally oppressed by being "completely center" in these kinds of issues. Contra made a video on this very thing.

It just reeks of "trying to be a good guy" kind of crap. You're doing it for yourself more than anything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

you didn't actually read my post did you bibs

Sure, I did. Part of me thought that saying Transformers wasn't fun was bait, but you seemed genuinely confused why a fun summer blockbuster franchise like the Transformers keeps going, so I answered.

On another topic, I just can't understand why Boogie just doesn't put his foot down and say "Listen, if you're bigoted and hate what Anita says, to the point of defending known asshat Sargon, I don't want you as a fan." Is he just too afraid of losing the toxic parts of his viewership?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe he should, but I can't imagine anything is easy for him at the moment. If I was doing panels, I'd want to have fun doing it, but it really sounds like it was a miserable experience this year. Say he does put his foot down. The level of vindictive behavior on behalf of the Anita detractors is insane, and I understand wanting to avoid that especially considering his condition.

I mean ideally he could get up the courage to tell the shitheels off but I understand why he doesn't. I wouldn't want that bile thrown my way either. I just wait until HBomb makes a video about them and then laugh about it because he's a braver Colin furze lookalike than I am.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 30, 2017

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

I don't mean to sound insensitive either. Having that kind of attention beating down on you can be really stressful and can have adverse effects on your mental health. But if you're not in a position to talk about something controversial, then don't talk about it. You don't actually help people who suffer from bigots and are generally oppressed by being "completely center" in these kinds of issues. Contra made a video on this very thing.

Do you have a link to that video, out of curiosity?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, I did. Part of me thought that saying Transformers wasn't fun was bait, but you seemed genuinely confused why a fun summer blockbuster franchise like the Transformers keeps going, so I answered.

Transformers movies aren't fun.
Feel free to die on the hill to defend them if you want tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah they're basically just tedious to watch, you could do so so much better if you just wanna watch action movies. or even if you wanna watch schlock, watch Ninja Terminator or some other lovely old campy stuff instead

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

poo poo, can you think of a better series of summer blockbusters that better identifies someone as a fun-hater for grumbling about them?

Fast and Furious

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fast and furious are actually kind of fun to watch though. there's a scene where the rock flexes so hard his cast explodes

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikerugnetta/status/880878305356001281

Formative Channel to a few internet critics PBS Idea Channel is going to close late August.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Errant Signal is going to spend this summer discussing the legacy of Looking Glass Studios and the influence their trademark 0451 code has had on what he titles "immersive sim" games.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IronicDongz posted:

fast and furious are actually kind of fun to watch though. there's a scene where the rock flexes so hard his cast explodes

It's genuinely one of those series that does get better as they go on.

(Caveat: Tokyo Drift. Tokyo Drift SSSUUUUCCKKKKKSSSSS)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe he should, but I can't imagine anything is easy for him at the moment. If I was doing panels, I'd want to have fun doing it, but it really sounds like it was a miserable experience this year. Say he does put his foot down. The level of vindictive behavior on behalf of the Anita detractors is insane, and I understand wanting to avoid that especially considering his condition.

I mean ideally he could get up the courage to tell the shitheels off but I understand why he doesn't. I wouldn't want that bile thrown my way either. I just wait until HBomb makes a video about them and then laugh about it because he's a braver Colin furze lookalike than I am.

I totally respect that but at the same time I kinda wish he'd just...not do anything then? Like, he clearly has a large enough fanbase where the shitbags are a non-zero population, that's cool, happens to basically everyone with more than five fans, number six has good odds of being a guy going "HEY COOL DOG GROOMING TUTORIAL BUT HOW ABOUT THEM JEWS???"

But like...why even engage? If you're just going to take the blandest 'now both sides have merits here, I'm in the center and would like it to be clear I'm in the middle' stance why do you need to even say anything? It's getting to the point where every time he does this it goes the same way and yea he's gotta kinda own that now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WHOOP WHOOP New Hbomb dropping now this is not a drill:

http://youtu.be/dklVypazQsA?a

I like it. It's a really good demonstration of how the principle of charity is useful as a tool of analysis and not rhetoric (where it usually doesn't help). I have to say that based on his twitter and this video, armoured skeptic seems like an average mind punching way above his weight, using tools he doesn't properly understand. He's absolutely not malicious and not stupid, but really shows how dangerous a little knowledge and a lot of confidence can be.

He reminds me of an above-average high-school student picking fights with the teacher and getting huffy because he knows he's smarter than the teacher, who isn't playing fair because he of course feels threatened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Today's been a good day for high-quality drops: new Lindsay, two-part Shaun andJen on statistics, fresh Hbomb, and Allison put up a big passel of baywatching too.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

sexpig by night posted:

I totally respect that but at the same time I kinda wish he'd just...not do anything then? Like, he clearly has a large enough fanbase where the shitbags are a non-zero population, that's cool, happens to basically everyone with more than five fans, number six has good odds of being a guy going "HEY COOL DOG GROOMING TUTORIAL BUT HOW ABOUT THEM JEWS???"

But like...why even engage? If you're just going to take the blandest 'now both sides have merits here, I'm in the center and would like it to be clear I'm in the middle' stance why do you need to even say anything? It's getting to the point where every time he does this it goes the same way and yea he's gotta kinda own that now.

I can tell that his intentions are in the right place, but that means nothing if his actual approach and actions contradict that. Hopefully he realizes that at some point.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

business hammocks posted:

WHOOP WHOOP New Hbomb dropping now this is not a drill:

http://youtu.be/dklVypazQsA?a

I like it. It's a really good demonstration of how the principle of charity is useful as a tool of analysis and not rhetoric (where it usually doesn't help). I have to say that based on his twitter and this video, armoured skeptic seems like an average mind punching way above his weight, using tools he doesn't properly understand. He's absolutely not malicious and not stupid, but really shows how dangerous a little knowledge and a lot of confidence can be.

He reminds me of an above-average high-school student picking fights with the teacher and getting huffy because he knows he's smarter than the teacher, who isn't playing fair because he of course feels threatened.

AS (and to some extend Shoe) seem to be what Carlgon apologists portray him as (As this left of center type that happens to disagree with uppity ssjeekhhlwwss on a lot of subjects), and from exchanges seen a bit after VidCon I can see this on a better light. The ending made me honestly eager for Part 2 and in a way it would be a... positive end?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kunster posted:

AS (and to some extend Shoe) seem to be what Carlgon apologists portray him as (As this left of center type that happens to disagree with uppity ssjeekhhlwwss on a lot of subjects), and from exchanges seen a bit after VidCon I can see this on a better light. The ending made me honestly eager for Part 2 and in a way it would be a... positive end?

But like Carl he seems to feel no need that he understand what he's talking about before firing off a video. Also his videos are low-effort on a technical level compared to literally anyone we discuss here (just want to get that in because Hbomb should know we appreciate his skill even though he's probably making a wise choice not to comment on any AS chat).

Again, I'm not trying to insult the guy, but he's making things worse by being careless right at the moment people like Lindsay and Dan are starting to say things about the unintentional damage one can do on youtube by shooting your mouth off without thinking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno, he's clearly less terrible than a lot but AS is just as stupid and harmful as Carl. Like, framing the talk about 'asian mystics' around how angry it made him and how his 'blood was boiling' and poo poo. That's kinda hosed up. He really clearly DID feel a deep anger at...an Asian man saying 'hey white people' and, I dunno man I just have no desire to pretend he's somehow less a dangerous lunatic with a mic than others because he doesn't go as far as saying rape is cool like the absolute dregs do.

I think it's a good video though, HBomb taking a detailed look at someone who he can kinda take down point by point rather than just laughing at his gross head or his fear of drinking his badass manly whiskey prop and all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So many white people have that blind rage in them when race comes up though. I sure as hell did when I was younger. It's a defining characteristic of the way white culture works. It's dangerous but not a moral failure like with that Canadian skull man whose name I forget (who has thankfully dropped from view).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

So many white people have that blind rage in them when race comes up though. I sure as hell did when I was younger. It's a defining characteristic of the way white culture works. It's dangerous but not a moral failure like with that Canadian skull man whose name I forget (who has thankfully dropped from view).

Yea but he carries that rage to poo poo like "GENDER EXPRESSION DOESN'T EXIST" and all too. He's not David 'rape is actually good and women 100% deserve it' Aurawhatever bad, no, but yea those kinda are still his peers when he's that dedicated to knee jerk regressive desires to not learn things that annoy him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Armoured Skeptic keeps saying "I don't get it" or "You're saying this" when it's clear he just completely missed the point and wasn't really listening in the first place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Yea but he carries that rage to poo poo like "GENDER EXPRESSION DOESN'T EXIST" and all too. He's not David 'rape is actually good and women 100% deserve it' Aurawhatever bad, no, but yea those kinda are still his peers when he's that dedicated to knee jerk regressive desires to not learn things that annoy him.

Agreed. I don't know how you reach people like that. I was curious and open-minded, so I read a lot of race theory and came around. If you're the kind of person who would never read an introductory feminist text, I don't know what to do. Arguing the logic or the evidence sure as hell never works.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Agreed. I don't know how you reach people like that. I was curious and open-minded, so I read a lot of race theory and came around. If you're the kind of person who would never read an introductory feminist text, I don't know what to do. Arguing the logic or the evidence sure as hell never works.

Yea despite me not loving acting like 'well ok these are the guys more worthy of taking seriously' about guys like AS, I do agree with HBomb in hoping that he actually IS the 'skeptic' he claims to be and he wasn't just bullshitting when he said despite not understanding it he supports nonbinary people's rights and all. I hope he does have the 'oh, there is science here huh, woopsie' moment just like I hope all the guys on the less lovely side of the regressive movement do. David and that dumpy dude and mr lumpy head are lost causes, they saw a black storm trooper and went 'THIS IS AN ATTACK ON ME', but maybe yea guys like AS can grow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davis Aurini. And from what I've heard he tried to move to Las Vegas with Dr. Racistskull in tow and renounced his Canadian citizenship after Justin Trudeau won a majority... and apparently failed or something. I don't really care.

Is Jordan Owen still screaming about ladies from his bathtub? Someone should go check on him before he starts to rot... any further.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Transformers movies aren't fun.
Feel free to die on the hill to defend them if you want tho

The grosses defend it. If they weren't fun movies for a whole lot of people, they wouldn't be making more money than God each time, and we certainly wouldn't even be on the, what, fifth.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to think it's good

Obviously when people say "X is Y"(ex:transformers is bad) it's implicitly their own opinion(that they believe is true regardless of what anyone else says) and that's not really discredited by other people thinking differently, it shouldn't need to be qualified

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to think it's good

Sounds like you like a lot of unpopular things. I mean, I get you have to invent that kinda mentality when you (general you) are constantly reminded that the greater population is telling you you're wrong about something.

After all, what's the best part of an internet critic's review of a Transformer movie? The directly-stated (or sometimes simply implied) annoyance that everything they whined about had the rest of the audience in stitches/engaged/loving it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not so sure about that. When I eventually arrived to academia I was already familiar with most aspects of feminist theory because years earlier stubborn posters in the rightfully gassed Games feminism thread kept beating me over the head with it whenever I'd try to join into an argument. I don't know how much it did to convince me at the time but considering I'm now at the point where half of Twitter would probably readily jump down my throat for being a SJW gendertraitor scum if I'd express my opinions about gender relations or representation I'd hesitate to say that original browbeating didn't play a role.

There are certainly people which I'd consider too far gone but I wouldn't blanketly start writing people off without good cause. If someones disagreements with feminism are ideological then there is no ground to traverse of course. Like for example, no anarcho-liberalist would ever agree with feminism because even admitting the existence of societal structures would mean going against their own ontological assumptions. However, with most people in reality when I talk politics with them it rather seems like they simply do not know what feminism even is in the first place. They just assume that it's just another political stance rather a concrete way to understand and analyze society.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MisterBibs posted:

Sounds like you like a lot of unpopular things.
Not really, I mostly like pretty popular movies and videogames. I don't usually go for small arthouse stuff or anything like that, my favorite recent movies were Guardians of the Galaxy and Get Out, which were both massively popular

doesn't change that a lot of people liking something does not automatically make it good, or that transformers totally fuckin blows both in terms of action and comedy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Sounds like you like a lot of unpopular things. I mean, I get you have to invent that kinda mentality when you (general you) are constantly reminded that the greater population is telling you you're wrong about something.

After all, what's the best part of an internet critic's review of a Transformer movie? The directly-stated (or sometimes simply implied) annoyance that everything they whined about had the rest of the audience in stitches/engaged/loving it.

why exactly are you posting in a thread about internet critics
just look up box office numbers if you want

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KayTee posted:

(Caveat: Tokyo Drift. Tokyo Drift SSSUUUUCCKKKKKSSSSS)

Even though bibs is in this thread, this is the worst take on this page.

Shame. Shame.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

doesn't change that a lot of people liking something does not automatically make it good, or that transformers totally fuckin blows both in terms of action and comedy

Nah, Transformers was fun and good, because if it wasn't, they wouldn't have made a lot more. C'mon, it's Transformers. Giant robots punching the poo poo out of each other. We know we don't live in the darkest timeline, because in the darkest timeline, they would've failed.

Augus posted:

why exactly are you posting in a thread about internet critics

Because internet critics are at their most entertaining when they try so hard discussing a movie franchise that will inevitably prove them wrong. Even funnier when they know it, going in.

Successful tent pole movie + fun-hating internet critic = best humor.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't care about the box office, I was just saying I didn't like the movies and didn't see any appeal in them. Christ, stop trying to prove to yourself how smart you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, Transformers was fun and good, because if it wasn't, they wouldn't have made a lot more.
yeah man and the phantom menace was really good

• Locked thread