Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
*item doesn't scan on the first swipe*

IT MUST BE FREE HUR HUR HUR HURRRRRR :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I always tip $3, doesn't matter the price of the food. no server ever does more than $3 worth of work for me so that's all they get

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There's a pricey bar up the street from my house that I like to take dates

If I order 2 beers that cost $9 each, do I really have to tip more than a dollar a drink? All you did was pull a lever man

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Dollar a drink dude.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Not a Children posted:

There's a pricey bar up the street from my house that I like to take dates

If I order 2 beers that cost $9 each, do I really have to tip more than a dollar a drink? All you did was pull a lever man

If you're paying with cash each round, I think a buck per drink/round (unless a round is like 4+ drinks) is okay, but when you're paying your tab with a card at the end of the night it's better to tip by percentage.

Also if you're taking a date to a fancy bar to impress them, cheaping out over a couple of dollars on the tip might raise an eyebrow.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If you don't like tipping, don't go to restaurants or bars.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Your Taint posted:

Yes

Applesnots posted:

Dollar a drink dude.

Also yes, at minimum.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Applesnots posted:

Dollar a drink dude.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Rutibex posted:

I always tip $3, doesn't matter the price of the food. no server ever does more than $3 worth of work for me so that's all they get

I've enjoyed being a huge dick in this thread but at least I'm not some cheap scumbag like this proud goon.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Idk why you wouldn't just stay at home and drink with your friends there anyway. It's cheaper and less noisy :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Taint posted:

Or move to a country where people are paid an actual living wage so there's no need to tip :v:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm I bet you all think a waiter should be tipped 20% minimum even if the service is poo poo?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also open bar doesn't mean no tip. It's always sad to see the tip jar so empty at open-bar places; you're not paying for the drinks so you should be more generous with tips you jackoffs :mad:

On the plus side, this often means that the simple act of $1/drink tip gets you both stronger drinks, and preferential service at the bar, which can be important when it's open bar and there are 20 douchebags clogging up the place trying to pound their drinks so they can immediately get more.

It's also nice when there's a 1-2 drink/person limit but they'll give me 4 beers if I ask for em. Tip your bartenders, kids!

e: since there are a bunch of industry people here I guess I should clarify, I mean the event host's drink limit rules, not the "legally overserve" type drink limits.

fits my needs posted:

Hmmmm I bet you all think a waiter should be tipped 20% minimum even if the service is poo poo?

20% is standard good service, 25% is on the rare occasion where the service is above-and-beyond. Also if they comp dessert or something for a non-"this steak had a hair on it" reason, a chunk of the price of what they comped will usually go into the tip too. I'll go as low as 10% for bad service but unless it's something egregious, generally unattentive/not great gets 12-15%.

Only times I've ever tipped 0 were on maybe 2-3 occasions when we left before the main course was served for various reasons, like the time I walked to the bathroom in the back and overheard our server call me a terrorist-looking motherfucker to another server.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont carry cash so if its open bar I cant tip, sorry.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

fits my needs posted:

No. But there shouldn't be a hard cap on the reward for good service.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

I dont carry cash so if its open bar I cant tip, sorry.

if you go to an open bar event and don't bring cash that's a deliberate decision, not a convenient excuse hth

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

*smugly slides over 3 greasy dollars* hmmm that was about how much your effort was worth.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Overall price of the meal also can have an effect, but only in the positive. Like if it's a $150 meal for 2 I'm not going to lower my tip because the whole thing is already expensive, but if it's like some cool hole-in-the-wall place where the service was great and we stuffed our drat faces for like $40-45, I'm probably gonna leave $60 and call it a day.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How much money do you people make that you're dropping $20 tips every meal

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Enough to tip well. Considering that this is the retail thread . . . .

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Retail digs aside; you know we live in a tipping culture, so please don't go out without the money to do so. It's dick. At some places you aren't merely purchasing a product but also tacitly agreeing to purchasing the service that goes with it as well.

Places exist that offer the product you want without the requisite tipping. Go there.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fits my needs posted:

How much money do you people make that you're dropping $20 tips every meal

If you can't tip well don't eat out. It is also relative if a meal is 60 bucks a $20 tip isn't exactly breaking the scales.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 30, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Glenn Quebec posted:

Retail digs aside; you know we live in a tipping culture, so please don't go out without the money to do so. It's dick. At some places you aren't merely purchasing a product but also tacitly agreeing to purchasing the service that goes with it as well.

Places exist that offer the product you want without the requisite tipping. Go there.

:agreed:
It's a dumb custom that I hate, so I avoid places where one is supposed to tip.
There's been a trend in recent years of adding a tip field or a tip jar to places you shouldn't expect it.
Drive thru burrito place? tip field on credit card receipt.
Pick-up order at pizza place without a dining room? tip field on credit card receipt
Counter service restaurant where you bus your own table? tip field on credit card receipt

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol yes. This is true. There's an ice cream spot I like when I visit upstate that put a tip jar. It's literally just soft serve.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

There's been a trend in recent years of adding a tip field or a tip jar to places you shouldn't expect it.
Pick-up order at pizza place without a dining room? tip field on credit card receipt
Counter service restaurant where you bus your own table? tip field on credit card receipt

the tip field thing is determined by the company that makes the POS system hth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

the tip field thing is determined by the company that makes the POS system hth

Do those POS systems also dictate they have a ratty cup with "TIPS" written on them with a sharpie at the register? (the three places I was thinking about also have those)

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I agree with this. If only because it makes it hard to draw the line. You should tip if you're paying for a little extra work or skill on the part of the server or whatever. Pouring drinks (including coffee although admittedly I don't know how much skill is involved in being a Star Bucks barista), serving people food, delivering food, these are all things that should be tipped for. Plus waiters/waitresses usually get paid pretty shittily and deal with a lot more customer bullshit than most people so they really count on those tips.
Where it gets confusing for me is where it's somewhere in between. Occasionally I put some extra cash in the tipping bar at Five Guys but that's because I go there frequently enough that I think their consistently good service should be rewarded (plus they're usually doing more than one job at a time I think). But there's no tipping jar at Chipotlé, and rolling one of those burritos I would think takes a little more skill than grilling a burger and that's probably something a little more worth tipping imo.

What takes more skill though is pretty subjective anyway though so

If nothing else, I should not be tipped as a cashier because literally anyone can do that job. It's monkey work, as my old manager called it. Monkey work does not need to be tipped. Everything else I do isn't directly related to the customer anyway

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The real purpose of tipping culture is brilliantly illustrated by how people who don't tip or don't want to are unable to express this sentiment without also sneering theatrically at tipped workers in general. It's strictly a power game and serves to establish and reinforce class distinctions in a society that claims not to have any.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Some people even tip their mechanic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

spite house posted:

The real purpose of tipping culture is brilliantly illustrated by how people who don't tip or don't want to are unable to express this sentiment without also sneering theatrically at tipped workers in general. It's strictly a power game and serves to establish and reinforce class distinctions in a society that claims not to have any.

Close. Our society doesn't believe that it doesn't have class distinctions, but that they are just class distinctions.

If you don't like working for tips then just get a better job at the bible factory :grin:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

This. Every takeout-only restaurant I've been to in the last couple years has had a tip field on the receipt. This is a rural area too, so (with the exception of Pizza places) none of them deliver. I waffle on tipping places where my pickup order is being handed to me by a bartender or someone who is also waiting tables at the same time, but tipping at a dedicated takeout place is bullshit and I'm willing to bet doesn't go to anyone but the business owner.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

spite house posted:

Tipping custom is stupid because it offloads the responsibility to pay someone's wages to the customer, who has way less information about the situation than the business owner does and it's enforced through social pressure.

Here's a collection of reasons why tipping is a stupid custom and should go away, and it would be better for the employees and the customers. The only people who really win with tipping in restaurants are the employers (string them all up)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/abolish-tipping_n_5991796.html

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Creepy men who want to force the waitress to flirt with them also win.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Creepy men who want to force the waitress to flirt with them also win.

https://twitter.com/BeerCellarExe/status/867683766042546177

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Tipping custom is stupid because it offloads the responsibility to pay someone's wages to the customer, who has way less information about the situation than the business owner does and it's enforced through social pressure.

Here's a collection of reasons why tipping is a stupid custom and should go away, and it would be better for the employees and the customers. The only people who really win with tipping in restaurants are the employers (string them all up)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/abolish-tipping_n_5991796.html

Even so, I can't even imagine how you'd begin to do away with it and not tipping because reasons really helps no one. It starts with the corporations first, and there's really no way to spin "we proudly don't allow tipping" without following it with a paragraph explaining why.

Not that I disagree with you, it's just not a problem easily solved.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

most of that card is white

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starman Super DX posted:

Idk why you wouldn't just stay at home and drink with your friends there anyway. It's cheaper and less noisy :v:
Sometimes my friends and I like to watch people and eavesdrop on their loud-rear end drama while enjoying a variety of beers.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

gently caress tipping, employers should be legally mandated to provide a living wage but until that day comes I tip 15% for good service, 20% if it's great and 10% if your service sucks and you don't have an excuse.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
tipping threads are my favorite.

I go to a bar that I like. I tip well. I go there often enough that they know what I (usually) order. I also get the occasional freebie and tend to get good pours.

I could go drink alone in my squalid room for less money but I like going to the bar sometimes, so I pay the premium.

not really sure why this concept is so difficult to understand (oh right autists/goons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Sometimes my friends and I like to watch people and eavesdrop on their loud-rear end drama while enjoying a variety of beers.

Ha, I was mainly just being an instigator since I'm not much of a bar person myself. I figured it was the "I don't own a TV" equivalent

• Locked thread