Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
AST so you can know the thrill of Sleeve Drawing amazing combos like EWER EWER AOE and EWER SPIRE AOE and SPIRE SPIRE AOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I want to see a 'savage' boss fight that's just Bardam’s Mettle's second boss that goes on and on with increasingly more ridiculous patterns until the entire party screws up with progressively greater rewards the further you get.

For some reason I'm now thinking of Bardam's Mettle HM involving a rapidly escalating bullet hell mechanic.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah exdr is super easy now, and i know people were worried about the aoe pull meta getting nerfed but I've been with each of the 3 tanks as a blm in those dungeons doing multi pulls and just dropping fuckloads of AOE damage out with no issues

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

yeah exdr is super easy now, and i know people were worried about the aoe pull meta getting nerfed but I've been with each of the 3 tanks as a blm in those dungeons doing multi pulls and just dropping fuckloads of AOE damage out with no issues

On the other hand I've been AOEing as RDM in experts and let me tell you it's a good loving thing that the MP refresh has a threat drop component :cry:

Making me think I should take it on BLM too, actually

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

On the other hand I've been AOEing as RDM in experts and let me tell you it's a good loving thing that the MP refresh has a threat drop component :cry:

Making me think I should take it on BLM too, actually

The best part of running Shisui as SAM was witnessing just how incredible the job's AoE potential is.

The worst part was ripping hate on like half the enemies in the guard captain pull at once, desperately popping Third Eye, and then promptly getting vaporized.

Distraction is great but it only goes so far!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

diversion seems enough to stop me from taking aggro, and since the aoe rotation usually starts with blizz 3, blizz 4, thunder 4, fire 3, it gives the tank a bunch of time to get an aggro lock

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
WHM is insanely mana and gcd efficient right now, if you enjoy personal performance more than being a support bot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

diversion seems enough to stop me from taking aggro, and since the aoe rotation usually starts with blizz 3, blizz 4, thunder 4, fire 3, it gives the tank a bunch of time to get an aggro lock

Every once in a while if I think a tank is too big for his britches I'll save up for 75+ mana, wait for him to pull a large pack, then Embolden, Enchanted Moulinet, Manafication, and 3xEnchanted Moulinet with a Contre Sixte before he settles in

If I'm still alive five seconds later I concede the victory :v:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Augus posted:

I remember reading that there was gonna be a "Super Savage" trial in between Omega content updates that would be tuned to the level of Second Coil Savage and be based on an old fight or something? Has anything been said about that since? Bahamut Primal Savage would be pretty nuts.

What we know is that the actual raid tiers are not going to be tuned too harshly and in the off-patches there will be something for the super hardcore people that will be the extra difficult challenges but we don't know specifically what it's going to be. Given the effort involved, probably not entirely new versions of raids with extra mechanics like SCS was because raid tiers take the two patches of prep work as it is.

As a hilarious aside this is what they decided on basically because they don't trust the player base to give effective feedback on raids anymore, at least going by some anecdotes Yoshida has dropped in interviews. It went from them releasing Final Coil in 2.4 and getting complaints like "This is too easy! We want harder raids!". So when HW came out Gordias was a giant wrecking ball of raid difficulty and everyone went "Holy poo poo this is too hard! We hate this!" and some significant chunk of the raid population quit raiding. An entire expansion reacting to that later, we get Creator, and once again people are going "This is too easy! We want harder raids!" because no one learns anything. Apparently now they're just going to tune raids based on internal statistics of how many people are clearing them and when.

The solution is probably just to scale everything to Midas but that ship has probably sailed in XIV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Every once in a while if I think a tank is too big for his britches I'll save up for 75+ mana, wait for him to pull a large pack, then Embolden, Enchanted Moulinet, Manafication, and 3xEnchanted Moulinet with a Contre Sixte before he settles in

Ah, you're what I call "Lustrate bait."

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
AST it is. Thanks goons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, you're what I call "Lustrate bait."

Rest assured the healer gets an auto-commend if I survive only through his or her actions :v:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

It's slightly slower but if you hit 100/100 then 2x enchanted moulinet then use scatter twice to get over 45 before manafication you can do 3 more for a total of 5 plus contre sixte

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The WoL is a catgirl or occasionally a lalafell, not a guy.

The Warrior of Light is the biggest and strongest man possible because only someone of titanic proportions and immovable frame can hold back the uncaring heavens from crushing fair Eorzea.

Go Roeg or Go Home.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, logs are working again and all three healer compositions are well represented at the high end, with a small edge going to AST/SCH. Healer balance is Fine in trials/raids.

Way better than 3.x which had WHM and AST playing hot potato with being the unwanted stepchild.

e: phoneposting

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 30, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Sharkopath posted:

The Warrior of Light is the biggest and strongest man possible because only someone of titanic proportions and immovable frame can hold back the uncaring heavens from crushing fair Eorzea.

Go Roeg or Go Home.

I'm not sure what, but something must be wrong in these assumptions, because you reached a conclusion contrary to "Lallafell allafell the time"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I unlocked Divine Benison a while back I think I like it but I'm not sure if I do.

You can basically use it on cooldown, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I unlocked Divine Benison a while back I think I like it but I'm not sure if I do.

You can basically use it on cooldown, at least.

I like it to be honest. Having a third oh-poo poo cooldown button on WHM is nice and the fact it's a shield instead of a straight heal gives you some bonus prep for tank busters.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Saint Freak posted:

AST so you can know the thrill of Sleeve Drawing amazing combos like EWER EWER AOE and EWER SPIRE AOE and SPIRE SPIRE AOE

Yeah, that happens, but I've also had this happen a Fair number of times and it's never not the most exciting thing as an AST:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
If anyone hasn't bought Stormblood yet, it's 25% off on Green Man Gaming right now.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/game...utm_campaign=cj

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiterpallasch posted:

Incidentally, logs are working again and all three healer compositions are well represented at the high end, with a small edge going to AST/SCH. Healer balance is Fine in trials/raids.

Way better than 3.x which had WHM and AST playing hot potato with being the unwanted stepchild.

e: phoneposting

is 2x PLD represented to any notable degree? how about WAR/DRK?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I never had trouble holding hate as PLD and haven't really either as DRK even though I feel like dark AOE is a bit more gimped. After level 66 when the blood gauge fills so much faster quietus actually seems useful in aoe when I'm out of MP from abyssal drain.

Also I'm wearing strength accessories because DPS is the best mitigation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Countblanc posted:

is 2x PLD represented to any notable degree? how about WAR/DRK?

We've been running dual PLD because that's what we leveled first. I personally like it because there's just so much PLD can do that the other tanks can't with regards to making poo poo easy for the rest of the party. No other tank has anything close to divine veil and passage of arms. You can basically have a PLD party cooldown up for almost every big aoe in susano ex in a dual PLD setup.

And LB gain really isn't too hampered, either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I want to see a 'savage' boss fight that's just Bardam’s Mettle's second boss that goes on and on with increasingly more ridiculous patterns until the entire party screws up with progressively greater rewards the further you get.

same

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
PLD is up by about 120 DPS at the 95th percentile (which is about where I'd draw the line between "very good" and "deliberately gaming the logs"), and gently caress-all at the 70th percentile.

WAR and DRK actually pull ahead as the players get worse and worse, probably because the "I just need to hold aggro, dps doesn't matter" people are disproportionately attracted to PLD.

Certainly the difference doesn't appear worth double stacking PLD at all--the top groups seem to prefer PLD/DRK by a fairly decent margin.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ciaphas posted:

definitely going to keep this in my back pocket for the "doing big pulls try to keep up :smug:" primadona tanks

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi just to step in:

PF parties for Susanoo Ex and Lakshmi Ex were really good a week and a half ago. In fact, I got my 10 clears on the first Susanoo Ex party i joined.

Thank you for listening.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so i did some napkin math and doing the wheeling thrust-fang and claw is practically a dps loss off compared to just going straight into another full thrust combo. you get three full thrust combos in the same amount of time as 2 fang/wheelings, and if you just do the bots combo off of one of them it's only within 100 dps.

3x full thrust +1 fang and claw = 2780 (10 gcds)
2x full full thrust combos = 2880 (10 gcds)

this means if you'd miss just one positional, it's practically a break-even, and if you'd miss two positionals it's actually a dps loss to do the botd combos. if you use the fang and claw on the middle of the three full thrust combos, you don't even drop botd as long as you pop it when it's off cooldown (and maybe you don't even have to).

this has been a major point of confusion for me (the full thrust comboing into lesser potency actions).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was farming Lakshmi just last night (at 9 tokens and one dropped acc so I'm still a bit away from done) and the ones with the "duty complete" box checked are pretty good, usually. Something like 5 clears in 7 attempts--not perfect, but not hair-pullingly frustrating like trying to farm Titan through PF back in ARR.

I hit the tail end of the learning party train for Susano and got my clear pretty quickly. Lakshmi I definitely missed the train since I waited to have my Susano weapon but it's so easy I still got my clear in one night.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How's SAM on a controller? I might give that a shot after I beat the expac with my Dragoon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so i did some napkin math and doing the wheeling thrust-fang and claw is practically a dps loss off compared to just going straight into another full thrust combo. you get three full thrust combos in the same amount of time as 2 fang/wheelings, and if you just do the bots combo off of one of them it's only within 100 dps.

3x full thrust +1 fang and claw = 2780 (10 gcds)
2x full full thrust combos = 2880 (10 gcds)

this means if you'd miss just one positional, it's practically a break-even, and if you'd miss two positionals it's actually a dps loss to do the botd combos. if you use the fang and claw on the middle of the three full thrust combos, you don't even drop botd as long as you pop it when it's off cooldown (and maybe you don't even have to).

this has been a major point of confusion for me (the full thrust comboing into lesser potency actions).

Are you accounting for the fact that lance mastery gives the second BotD extender +30 potency?

I'm also a little confused what exact rotations you're proposing--can you write them out so I can understand them better?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Zaggitz posted:

How's SAM on a controller? I might give that a shot after I beat the expac with my Dragoon.

My SAM is only 61 but it feels just fine on a controller, I haven't had any real issues with it.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

SAM is extremely button light thanks to the elegant way Iaijutsu is designed, and they're the second slowest melee behind Dragoon. Go nuts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's nothing in this game that doesn't work on controller, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

There's nothing in this game that doesn't work on controller, really.

Calling your teammates racial slurs.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
popping vril is apparently kind of awkward on a controller

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

popping vril is apparently kind of awkward on a controller

It isn't, really. At least on a dualshock 4--I could imagine it might be on other controllers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its just a trigger and R3, not really any more awkward than anything else.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah I kinda wish more quests would put their key item on that r3 hotkey its very simple and fun to use. There was vril and one of the msq quests so far thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the record the official racial slur list for Eorzea:

Lalafell: Potato, tater, spuds.
Roe: Brick Hardmeat, Gristle McThornBody, Punch Rockgroin
Au Ra: Lizard, Gecko, Snek
Elezen: Elf, Giraffe, Girrelf.
Miqo'te: Catte, Micu'tie
Hyur: Hyur.

Please don't use any other when insulting your tank for the 27th time or you won't be lore accurate.