Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mabels big day posted:

does anyone ever explicitly mention this, like the King? i kind of remember seeing her with an aura around her sometimes but I guess my small dinosaur brain didn't make the connection that it was Nen, and just thought it was showing how intimidating and powerful she was in the world of gungi

Yeah it gets explicitly mentioned and there are nen bubbles and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The older prince lady's was more similar I thought, given all the boobs.

It looks more like a sea anemone, I think. Tserried's has the human face and spindly limbs. And also boobs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think it's also stated that Komugi would die for realz if she ever lost a match because it's an unconscious condition she put on herself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of Chrollo, the Indoor Fish are one of his stolen abilities, in case some people missed that. They're hosed up and he's hosed up for using them, but he's not the particular hosed up person who made them. He's not that kind of hosed up (i.e. enough to dedicate significant time and power to make a power that exists only for really bizarre sadism (though on that topic I could see that as a Tserriednich power if he weren't the type to want something more practical most likely)).

And yeah, Komugi had that as a condition on herself, though not in the sense of it being a part of the power so much as that she'd just literally kill herself if she lost. It's a condition like Gon always going "first comes rock", in that, while it's not literally "part of" her ability, it being taken so seriously by her is good enough for the nen somehow.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the nen rules make their powers so interesting. i love poo poo like the conditions.

i really wanna know what ging and pariston have as abilities, esp cuz ging is considered one of the best 5 ppl in the world at using nen

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I bet Pariston doesn't even have nen.

He just plays along like he knows what everyone else is talking about. That's just how smooth he is.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

TWIST FIST posted:

It looks more like a sea anemone, I think.

A sea anemone that also kind of resembled her dress.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

I bet Pariston doesn't even have nen.

He just plays along like he knows what everyone else is talking about. That's just how smooth he is.

I'm more curious about Pariston than Ging personally; I mean, the guy is a Triple Star Hunter. The only other two of those we know of are Cheadle (one of the greatest doctors ever and with an incredibly diverse range of accomplishments) and Botobai (a military genius, prosecutor, and the guy said to be the closest to Netero in terms of ability), though allegedly Ging could have been one too if he did things properly. While technically you don't need nen to reach that rank, it seems really unlikely he could have done enough to reach that rank without some sort of ability. Either way, I'm curious what he did to deserve that; I hope he actually has some accomplishments to his name and it's not something like him using his power in the Organization to go "hey give me the highest rank possible lol".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i mentioned the indoor fish because they were a very sadistic and inefficient nen ability, which chrollo used just for the hell of it. its creator doubtless derived great pleasure from killing people in such a manner, but for chrollo it was no more or less satisfying than any other method.

though now that i think about it, it is very unlikely that the princes will hang around long enough to develop nen of their own. they weren't ever going to the real dark continent. so, what will drive the plot is their desire to acquire nen, rather than what they would actually do with it. at most some of them might learn gyo.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i mentioned the indoor fish because they were a very sadistic and inefficient nen ability, which chrollo used just for the hell of it. its creator doubtless derived great pleasure from killing people in such a manner, but for chrollo it was no more or less satisfying than any other method.

though now that i think about it, it is very unlikely that the princes will hang around long enough to develop nen of their own. they weren't ever going to the real dark continent. so, what will drive the plot is their desire to acquire nen, rather than what they would actually do with it. at most some of them might learn gyo.

I mean, I could see Tserriednich going for having Theta use the Wing shortcut on him (which she wouldn't gently caress up because it'd mean her head, and also that'd take him out of the story too easily), and then being a prodigy from there or something, learning enough for it to be relevant in this arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I could imagine learning the very basics of nen might give him some measure of control over his nen beast, or something like that. So even if he isn't yet skilled enough to fight on his own, it could be a decisive advantage in the succession battle.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah some of the princes seem like the type who'd be prodigies like Gon and Killua who could learn it in a couple of weeks, Tserriednich being the most obvious. Benjamin seems like an Enhancer so once he learns the basics he'd be a major threat immediately. Maybe one or two of the lesser princes, as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Momoze's beast already causing trouble, combined with her pity for those "unable to be King" (implying that she thinks herself able and it to be a goal she's after) makes me think that, despite her unassuming appearance, she's one to watch. Probably not going to win, but she'll be more trouble than was likely assumed by most before.

Unrelated, Izunabi trying to flatter Tyson about her nen beast (when it appears to be some horribly thing birthing those endless geckos) was amusing. I have a feeling he's not a good match for his particular Prince, since prior to this we last saw him being a weird forest hobo who taught Kurapika nen.

Edit: Also huh, topic of the Princes learning nen, unless the King seeming to see the nen beasts isn't actually a thing, I guess at some point he bothered to learn at least the basics. He didn't seem the type, but hey.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 30, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah HxH loves its precocious kids so I'm betting at least one of the younger princes will end up being prominent somehow. Probably the girl who's got the stuffed animal beast.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it gets explicitly mentioned and there are nen bubbles and everything.

I guess its been a while and I'm an idiot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mabels big day posted:

correct on both counts.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_c_ixxxks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tbp posted:

the nen rules make their powers so interesting. i love poo poo like the conditions.

i really wanna know what ging and pariston have as abilities, esp cuz ging is considered one of the best 5 ppl in the world at using nen

Does anyone have the official translation of that to hand? I remember the original translation I read translated it differently as "There are only five Nen users like him in the world". I wonder if that's a mistranslation or deliberate.

Roland Jones posted:

I'm more curious about Pariston than Ging personally; I mean, the guy is a Triple Star Hunter. The only other two of those we know of are Cheadle (one of the greatest doctors ever and with an incredibly diverse range of accomplishments) and Botobai (a military genius, prosecutor, and the guy said to be the closest to Netero in terms of ability), though allegedly Ging could have been one too if he did things properly. While technically you don't need nen to reach that rank, it seems really unlikely he could have done enough to reach that rank without some sort of ability. Either way, I'm curious what he did to deserve that; I hope he actually has some accomplishments to his name and it's not something like him using his power in the Organization to go "hey give me the highest rank possible lol".

It's specifically that he's met the requirements but has chosen not to apply to be one because it's too much hassle and he doesn't like big crowds.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Does anyone have the official translation of that to hand? I remember the original translation I read translated it differently as "There are only five Nen users like him in the world". I wonder if that's a mistranslation or deliberate.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa I forgot Biscuit's in the ship too, which prince is she guarding?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she is? i hope she gets a cool fight.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blackheart posted:

Whoa I forgot Biscuit's in the ship too, which prince is she guarding?

Marayam, the second youngest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I think it's also stated that Komugi would die for realz if she ever lost a match because it's an unconscious condition she put on herself.

It was also because she would have died for reals without nen if she didn't keep winning so it was an easy condition to create.

Remember: there are two ways to develop nen, One involves time and training like most nen users we've seen. The other is basically the "baptism" like the users Gon and Killua faced in Heavens Arena. it really hasn't ever come up since it was mentioned, but now is as good a place as any for it to be relevant again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

It was also because she would have died for reals without nen if she didn't keep winning so it was an easy condition to create.

Remember: there are two ways to develop nen, One involves time and training like most nen users we've seen. The other is basically the "baptism" like the users Gon and Killua faced in Heavens Arena. it really hasn't ever come up since it was mentioned, but now is as good a place as any for it to be relevant again.

Theta made it clear she did not want him to be baptised.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

she is? i hope she gets a cool fight.

Her meeting with Kurapika is great

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Theta made it clear she did not want him to be baptised.

That's her best chance to kill him though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Killing him is also the end of her too and who knows what his Nen Beast would do let alone the guards or the Emperor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

That's her best chance to kill him though.

She's his bodyguard and a member of his private army, murdering her employer would look bad. Plus likely if she decided to kill him the Nen Beast would regard her as a threat to be eliminated.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lying to him won't work because there are plenty of other people with Nen and no time to coordinate a cover story. Worse, if someone else attacks him with it, he might spontaneously awaken on his own--now he knows you tried to play him and he's even more dangerous. There are ways around it if you value stopping him more than your own life, but Theta doesn't, and why would she? It sure as hell isn't what she signed up for.

Seems like the best move might be to go "Oh I don't know how to how teach this, you want somebody like (name of person he can't intimidate or manipulate)." Biscuit or Kurapika can probably hold their own against his spirit animal, HR Geiger's pantomime horse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Biscuit on the level (or close enough) of the Zodiacs as far as abilities and accolades go? If Prince Serial Killer tried something funny, she'd probably laugh it off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Biscuit on the level (or close enough) of the Zodiacs as far as abilities and accolades go? If Prince Serial Killer tried something funny, she'd probably laugh it off.

Biscuit is a bodyguard for the second youngest prince. Not Serial Killer one. Though the Nen Beasts will likely be dangerous to her as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 30, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Izunavi (Kurapika's mentor is with) Luzurus, Biscuit is with Marayam, Melody is with Kacho, I can't remember who Basho is with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Izunavi (Kurapika's mentor is with) Luzurus, Biscuit is with Marayam, Melody is with Kacho, I can't remember who Basho is with.

Opposite.

Izunavi is with Tyson, Basho is with Luzurus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
biscuit is as vulnerable as anyone else to curses and such.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just want her to survive because the arc where she was an MC had the chillest ED :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSnqQ-RFWA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and because she rules. :)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Opposite.

Izunavi is with Tyson, Basho is with Luzurus.

Ah yes of course because Izunavi is the one who calls them fairies.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It was literally how how 99% of the ants got Nen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ants aren't human. all the baptism style does is give people the ability to perceive nen, not use it in any useful way. ants had a natural shortcut, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Wing says that acquiring Nen is just a matter of effort, that's why they take such pains to keep it secret. anyone can do it once they see the path. even if tdich doesn't master it in a month it will still be a disaster if he gets a handle on poo poo 10 years from now

edit: he will probably master it in a month though

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 1, 2017