Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/880837336501813248

I hope the return for Duchene is hilariously bad.

I would be a bit miffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Gio posted:

More Holland apologia from Detroit media.

woo boy

i wouldn't even know where to start with this garbage.

This reads like something that would be graded with "See me after class."

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils are also buying out Smith-Pelley. They are going full tank. $27.6m in cap space now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think buying out a guy who scored 9 points in 53 games implies a tank.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Gio posted:

They were too old and tried to get younger.

Holland really has something here. Perhaps a huge leg up on all those other teams who draft 30 year olds in the rookie draft. Why has no one else thought of this?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Canucks have some competition for worst in the league next year

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I meant moreso they are gonna let their kids play. Also, 9 points in 53 games means a middle-six forward in New Jersey.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A classic.

Man I hope the Preds get Duchene for some spare parts. My dream is both Thornton and Marleau go there instead but I doubt that`s happening.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I love this part

quote:

They were too small and tried to get bigger. They were too old and tried to get younger. Holland respectfully disagrees with those who plopped the Wings in the "losers" category after the draft.

By taking part in the draft, we showed we are trying to get younger.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well he played for the Canucks and now the Flames so it's pretty easy actually.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jordan7hm posted:

But booting the guy who scored 31 in 61 is. Poor Cory is never going to do anything with his career.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I meant moreso they are gonna let their kids play. Also, 9 points in 53 games means a middle-six forward in New Jersey.

This is interesting to me in terms of what NJ does this off season. With all the talk of NJ being the team that will offer Shattenkirk the most money, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that they would go after him with a long term deal if they are in a tank or rebuild mode. Buffalo makes more sense to me than NJ (nyr makes the most sense fit wise but that money and term yuck)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chad Sexington posted:

But booting the guy who scored 31 in 61 is. Poor Cory is never going to do anything with his career.

Eh, 31 in 61 is not exactly impressive, especially for 5 million.

I think the Devils are hoping Hischier is an impact player year one. Zajac, Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Zacha and Hischier could be actually good ok if the latter two are able to play at a top 6 level this year.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 30, 2017

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

4 years is an eternity in the salary cap era though, it seems like a bit of a stretch to hand-wring over that.

Thing is, Seguin is still playing under a contract he was originally signed to by the Bruins. If they hadn't traded him they would still have two years of a talented young center, but instead they have nothing. They traded a franchise cornerstone player and ended up with trash, and that is shameful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah but it put him 5th on the team.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/880868002442477569

Not surprising. Pitlick's good, but he just can't avoid getting injured. He'd be a really good pick-up for a team if he somehow managed to stay healthy for an entire season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Adding a 30-year-old WOULD make the Red Wings younger wouldn't it?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dreger says the CBJ have an offer in for Duchene. :ohdear:

Porty's sticking with his Murray+Roster player+Prospect/pick feeling. Might be worth noting Jared Bednar and Chris MacFarland have a working knowledge of the CBJ depth pool having been Monsters head coach and CBJ AGM respectively. Bednar won the Calder Cup with Cleveland and the feeling at the time was Goloubef went to the Avs because MacFarland knew him.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880872347716202500

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jordan7hm posted:

I think the Devils are hoping Hischier is an impact player year one. Zajac, Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Zacha and Hischier could be actually good ok if the latter two are able to play at a top 6 level this year.

Zacha and Hischier are pretty big stretches for a Top 6, IMO. Could use a Jagr in the mix.

They're still, what? $7M under the cap floor? Still plenty of room for a Shattenkirk. To what end I don't know.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Rangers need a back-up goalie I wonder wh-

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/880874434185355265

:stare:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

that seems pretty good

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

lol ok whatever

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
supposedly Pavelec isn't that bad if you "adjust for shot quality" but those statemnts make me nervous

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Gio posted:

More Holland apologia from Detroit media.

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkkkkkkkkkkkkk yoooooooooooooooooouuuuuu

quote:

The selections of Rasmussen and second-rounder Gustav Lindstrom were panned by some observers, but showed the Wings recognize their weaknesses.

They were too small and tried to get bigger. They were too old and tried to get younger. Holland respectfully disagrees with those who plopped the Wings in the "losers" category after the draft.

Yes because it hasn't become universally accepted across all four major sports over the last three decades that GMs that draft for need over talent are the ones who are bad and destroy their teams

Remember Matt Millen?? loving remember that guy or no??????????

God drat this bullshit Fire Holland and the entire Detroit sports media.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lollll do it rags

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dreger says the CBJ have an offer in for Duchene. :ohdear:

Porty's sticking with his Murray+Roster player+Prospect/pick feeling. Might be worth noting Jared Bednar and Chris MacFarland have a working knowledge of the CBJ depth pool having been Monsters head coach and CBJ AGM respectively. Bednar won the Calder Cup with Cleveland and the feeling at the time was Goloubef went to the Avs because MacFarland knew him.

I mean, it would have to be Jenner, right? I can't see Atkinson being someone they would send and I doubt Calvert would be enough as much as I would be okay with that.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

supposedly Pavelec isn't that bad if you "adjust for shot quality" but those statemnts make me nervous

i feel like he's a guy who's always had a lot of technical expertise but never put it all together so maybe he just needs some of that Benoit Allaire Magic. i looked at the other ufa goalies and there's uh, not really much out there this year so i guess this is as good as anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Well New York will just have to hope Lundqvist doesn't get hurt/is bad/have a longer than normal "bad" first part of the season.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Was wondering what happened to Magnus Hellberg (I mean how could you forget a name like that), apparently he's in China now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

If he comes to NY, Allaire will turn pavelec into a world beater.

And if not he's the backup so who gives a poo poo, the bigger concern is fixing the god drat defense

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, it would have to be Jenner, right? I can't see Atkinson being someone they would send and I doubt Calvert would be enough as much as I would be okay with that.

That's all I can figure. I think that was the rumor before. It's going to be fascinating to keep track of the players out and in this offseason, because Portzline suggested moving two roster players might mean the team gets to go free agent shopping after all. So far it's (roster players only):

In: Panarin, Schroeder
Out: Saad, Hartnell, Gagner (probably)

Hold on to your butts.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe wouldn't be the worst idea to package Atkinson. He's got a lot of talent but I can't really see him repeating or building on his 35 goal performance last year. He's pushing 30 and turning him into Duchene would be pretty sweet.

E: then again, I don't see why Colorado would want him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For what it's worth it wouldn't bother me if the Penguins signed Pavelec to strictly be a backup for 1 or 2 years at $1M a year, but anything more than that would be pretty bad.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Yesssssss :laugh:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
let's check in with karl alzner

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/880902800191897600

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Who could look at Karl Alzner's 2016-17 where he came off a devastating groin injury and think it'd be prudent to hand out that sort of contract? Also he was never very good before that either.

Edit: congrats Jets fans

DollyDagger
Dec 31, 2007

Ah! The Andrew MacDonald Special.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The thought of buying out Stuart then immediately signing Alzner for six years is why I'll be drinking tonight.

Probably the last hockey drinking til at least preseason :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to say Alzner isn't that bad but...he's worse than Brooks Orpik at this point

• Locked thread