Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hanales posted:

There are some really sad stories on there :(

The guy who tried to outrun a train and killed two other people in the process :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking as an American, you have pretty good health insurance if you only paid $450.

I've been told that before. It's the mandatory student health insurance international students have to get over here, regardless of income, age, or academic pursuit. On the upside, it covers a shitton...by American standards.

By my native standards...well...lol

I've heard friends dismiss my 450 Bill with a scoff and a laugh, because their appendicitis cost them 4 figures including post-surgery care.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The_end posted:

This is grounds to have all their licenses pulled and possible criminal charges pressed.

Depends on how important the game is :colbert:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've been told that before. It's the mandatory student health insurance international students have to get over here, regardless of income, age, or academic pursuit. On the upside, it covers a shitton...by American standards.

I've heard friends dismiss my 450 Bill with a scoff and a laugh, because their appendicitis cost them 4 figures including post-surgery care.

$100,000 for my appendix. Go America!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The_end posted:

This is grounds to have all their licenses pulled and possible criminal charges pressed.

I'd put money on the people who would be responsible for enforcing this being busy watching the game at the time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My appendix in 2013 was billed $32,000 , insurance rate was like $18000, I owed $1500 out of pocket.

Baby last year was $5200 out of pocket split between my wife and son's deductibles.

I have really lovely insurance. Anyone hiring?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_end posted:

Yeah, maybe in america, where people are a bunch of babies.

In whatever_european_country nobody has any problem with consenting adults watching the game while performing minor surgery

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mds2 posted:

$100,000 for my appendix. Go America!

I'm gonna need to hear that story

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Gonna guess out of network hospital?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Gonna guess out of network hospital?

A loving hundred thousand?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Surgeon hosed up. Caused a massive infection and I had to miss 2 months of work and have a second surgery to fix the first. I had to go the hospital twice a day to have my side drained. Nearly died.

Good news if you are a Dr in this state, the laws here make it virtually impossible to sue you.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i had two colonectomies and the bills for each were ~130k, I think i was about 2600 out of pocket total for both

the surgeon makes like, $1500 per surgery. the rest of the money is for the operating room and staff and 5k a day for a room to recover in. any time you go under full anesthetic is gonna cost you

edit: wife's c section was like 37k. we paid $1100. insurance owns

boar guy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 30, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

My appendix in 2013 was billed $32,000 , insurance rate was like $18000, I owed $1500 out of pocket.

Baby last year was $5200 out of pocket split between my wife and son's deductibles.

I have really lovely insurance. Anyone hiring?

I am of the opinion that the only reason the majority of American babies are circumcised for non-religious reasons is to get another line item on the hospital bill

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I am of the opinion that the only reason the majority of American babies are circumcised for non-religious reasons is to get another line item on the hospital bill

until you read a r/asktheDR post about if the penis should have been cleaned ever at the tender age of 18. We don't have a good enough comfort wrt sex or nudity for people to know their dick shouldn't stink.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

until you read a r/asktheDR post about if the penis should have been cleaned ever at the tender age of 18. We don't have a good enough comfort wrt sex or nudity for people to know their dick shouldn't stink.

Or talk to someone whos worked in a nursing home.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

JFairfax posted:

Docs push for C sections specifically because they are so expensive and covered by insurance. Too bad it's leading to a shitload of deaths due to placenta accreta but hey they got their $$$ so gently caress women.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Actually a profit driven medical industry spurs innovation and gives patients the access to the best medical care!

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Oh look, another derail!

I tried to find a recent 'third rail' incident to get us back with, but I have failed.

So, am I the only one wondering why there's carpet in that 'operating room'?
Are we sure this isn't some back room operation in a rented office space?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Moto42 posted:

Oh look, another derail!

I tried to find a recent 'third rail' incident to get us back with, but I have failed.

Here's a 3rd rail incident on skytrain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-AtzN7y-84

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Moto42 posted:

Oh look, another derail!

it's so the patient doesn't wake up from the noise the surgeon's clogs make

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baronjutter posted:

Actually a profit driven medical industry spurs innovation and gives patients the access to the best medical care!

And profits are up! WAY up! The US medical industry just can't get enough $$$$$$$!!

Shame that the 'people not dropping dead' stat didn't follow tho

But those profits are super healthy!

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
So these insane medical bills, those can not possibly be the actual cost of the treatments, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And profits are up! WAY up! The US medical industry just can't get enough $$$$$$$!!

Shame that the 'people not dropping dead' stat didn't follow tho

But those profits are super healthy!

The market, it has spoken and decided those people didn't need to live that long.

Today I was told that workplace "red tape" is killing industry and that the actual workers on the ground know safety best and if someone thinks their workplace isn't safe they just don't have to show up for work, they can work at a better site. Also unsafe worksites are not good for business so it's illogical for owners and bosses to run things in an unsafe way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JFairfax posted:

No, it’s because it was thought to decrease the likelihood of self‐abuse.

†An old‐timey euphemism for masturbation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Efexeye posted:

yeah but if the alternative to this was 'it just costs $1k and that's that' then insurance, instead, sucks a big one

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there were at least 8 people involved including a guy who tapped her spine for an epidural (after keeping us waiting so he could finish watching a Final Four game), so it felt like a pretty good value for $1100. i think i can dig out an itemized statement.

to contribute to the thread, the surgeons were listening to bob marley in the OR but there were no tvs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

anesthesia is where you get hosed, because often they're considered out of network but no one will tell you that till you get billed enough to buy a house.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Can you imagine any other transaction in your life that costs as much that you just agree to without any negotiating or foreknowledge and just basically write the hospital a blank check and hope it turns out ok? It's insane.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Imagined posted:

Can you imagine any other transaction in your life that costs as much that you just agree to without any negotiating or foreknowledge and just basically write the hospital a blank check and hope it turns out ok? It's insane.

Sadly it wasn't always this bad! (with insurance, it has always sucked to not have it)

Growing up on my parents insurance was awesome, $15 co-pay for literally everything, and most surgeries were fully covered. I fractured the tibia in my leg, I'm SURE the cost was north of 15k, my parents didn't pay poo poo out of pocket. Fractured my hip, nothing to pay. Fractured 5th meta carpal in my hand, total cost? 10k, what did my parents pay? Dick all.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2WSAvR7pU

subways flooded ....AGAIN.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I was waiting for the tanker truck to crash through the ceiling

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I had a diagnostic laproscopy that was done under general anesthesia, but outpatient (left the hospital the same day, no overnight stay). I'd done my insurance due diligence, so I knew about what I was going to be paying (around $2k total on some $30k in surgery costs). Shortly after, I got a bill for the anesthesiology part alone -- to the tune of 5 figures. Plus it was arriving late, because I'd just moved, and it had to forward to my new address. And I had to wait until morning to call and freak out at someone in billing over the phone to boot.

"Oh, just ignore that," the receptionist said. "We bill you before we get the payment from insurance. They'll pay it, and if there's a balance, we'll rebill you then."

gently caress the insurance system.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Anta posted:

So these insane medical bills, those can not possibly be the actual cost of the treatments, right?

It is. Welcome to the wonderful world of inelastic demand.

The_end
May 17, 2014

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I had a diagnostic laproscopy that was done under general anesthesia, but outpatient (left the hospital the same day, no overnight stay). I'd done my insurance due diligence, so I knew about what I was going to be paying (around $2k total on some $30k in surgery costs). Shortly after, I got a bill for the anesthesiology part alone -- to the tune of 5 figures. Plus it was arriving late, because I'd just moved, and it had to forward to my new address. And I had to wait until morning to call and freak out at someone in billing over the phone to boot.

"Oh, just ignore that," the receptionist said. "We bill you before we get the payment from insurance. They'll pay it, and if there's a balance, we'll rebill you then."

gently caress the insurance system.

Stop opening your mail.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Central europe loving loves floods

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Efexeye posted:

i had two colonectomies and the bills for each were ~130k, I think i was about 2600 out of pocket total for both

the surgeon makes like, $1500 per surgery. the rest of the money is for the operating room and staff and 5k a day for a room to recover in. any time you go under full anesthetic is gonna cost you

It does not follow :psyduck:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cool looks like I'll check back in with this thread in about 9 pages or so

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FCKGW posted:

cool looks like I'll check back in with this thread in about 9 pages or so

Everyone should fight and complain about health care in the US at every possible opportunity because of how loving stupid it is and it is about to get worse

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Icedude posted:

I was waiting for the tanker truck to crash through the ceiling

Still miss that ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Everyone should fight and complain about health care in the US at every possible opportunity because of how loving stupid it is and it is about to get worse

:yeah: